ADVERTISEMENT

Post-season Play this Year...

With a $30 to $50 thousand entry fee! If we win what exactly did we win? That much for one game. We need a sell out and a worthy opponent.
How much do you think we are paying Eastern Kentucky to come play football in The Joan? I don't know the answer myself, but I'm guessing it is a lot more than the entry fee to a post-season basketball tournament. According to HeroSports.com, C-USAs apportionment from participation in the NCAA Tournament was about $3.4 million last year - Marshall undoubtedly got at least $50k of that - spend it on the sport that earned it instead of funneling every last penny to Football.

How much do you think we are paying Eastern Kentucky to come play football in The Joan? I don't know the answer myself, but I'm guessing it is a lot more than the entry fee to a post-season basketball tournament. According to HeroSports.com, C-USAs apportionment from participation in the NCAA Tournament was about $3.4 million last year - Marshall undoubtedly got at least $50k of that - spend it on the sport that earned it instead of funneling every last penny to Football.

We're paying EKU 375K and VMI 350K.

I was at the last NIT game. 1987? Virginia Commonwealth. They looked like a football team. Great atmosphere though.
The last NIT game was in Murfreesboro. I too was there and we played terrible. Our team was totally exhausted. Bused back from Memphis and then 2 days later played the game.

We can afford to pay EKU...considering the gate and consessions will draw money to help pay it back. Combined with yearly renewals in advertising, a revamped offense with a new OC, DC, and QB, you have what it takes to regain revenue.
Basketball, well, it doesn't generate nearly as much money. If someone could give an accurate attendance average this season plus ticket prices, I'm sure we could crunch the bumbers to determine if basketball would really profit or not.

To give an idea of the numbers difference in sports, MU is getting almost as much money to play South Carolina as the entire conference got for merely participating in the NCAA tournament.

According to HERD Insider.
...EKU will receive about $375K guarantee to come to Huntington in 2018. VMI will receive $350K guarantee to visit Huntington in 2019. If MU has about 25,000 fans for both games...The HERD football program should realize a nice payday for both contests.

Zilla22

Based on some of our football crowds the past couple of years... we must be serving a hell of a lot of Stewie Dogs to be able to pay 350K for VMIs and the like.... there have been quite a few fans dressed up in Halloween Costumes as empty seats in The Joan!

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
The NIT is a great tournament if you can get in it. Not sure Marshall has done enough this year to earn a spot. Also, hard to predict hosting two games until the entire field has been seeded.

NIT proposed changes this year.
1) 4 Quarters
2) Longer 3-point line
3) Wider Lane
4) 20 second Shot Clock

More like the NBA this year.

According to HERD Insider....EKU will receive about $375K guarantee to come to Huntington in 2018. VMI will receive $350K guarantee to visit Huntington in 2019. If MU has about 25,000 fans for both games...The HERD football program should realize a nice payday for both contests.

Zilla22

Zilla, if we don't stumble at little Miami in the season's opener, we should fairly easily draw 25,000 or more for EKU. It will be the home opener, a night game, and, hopefully good weather in early September. Then, too, we're coming off of a successful, somewhat surprising, turnaround season, including a bowl win as an underdog. Fan expectations can't help but be significantly up compared to last year, with a lot of returnees, albeit with as many coaching staff changes as we have had in a while. Looking forward to a very exciting and successful Herd football season in 2018!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT