ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruitment

According to commitment list Jacqoi Long (sp?) is the only commit so far.

Who looks very Fancherish.
Angry College Basketball GIF by UNC Tar Heels

This is a kid we should be looking at. BUGS is his only current offer. Good size, can chuck the pigskin, good grades, plays in a good program, 3 year starter.

He really likes Penn State and is holding out hope, but they already have 4 QBs ahead of him in the class.

After watching our offense the last three weeks, I am on board with the Wing-T!... We won't get beat as badly because we won't turn the ball over, and the games will only last 2:30, tops, doing all of us a favor!
I was thinking the same thing! Remember when we used to battle Delaware when they ran that damn offense, impossible to see the ball from the stands.

Reactions: RhinoD
This kid in the link below looks like he has potential, ranked in top 100 out of Tennessee and really not to many offers beside MAC schools and I believe Pitt.. (maybe we can help Marshall recruiters by posting potential targets, god know they need help finding QBs)

You think it’s a fair assessment?
I don't know. I was just showing my displeasure in choking Charlie's recruiting. I was hoping this kid was good. Hearing that he looks like another Fancher is frustrating.

The kid from Pickerington North is good. Just read today about the QB from Hilliard Bradley, with only one loss, who is 6-3 and has top stats in the area. He has committed to Yale but is willing to look at other offers. He has been named top player at big school level in Columbus. Supposed to have mobility as well as great arm.

Anyone know what our QB recruitment for next year looks like - portal or high school?
As already mentioned, JacQai Long from Hurricane is our lone QB commit in the 2024 class (to date):

Has FBS offers from App State, ECU, Arkansas State, Memphis, Kent State, UMASS and Toledo.

I have personally not seen him play but many have being that he's local. The buzz I've heard is he's worth developing but likely isn't the type of QB who can step in as a true freshman and compete for PT.

Tagging @Josh Stowers and @Aaron Perkins as they've seen him in person a bunch.

As already mentioned, JacQai Long from Hurricane is our lone QB commit in the 2024 class (to date):

Has FBS offers from App State, ECU, Arkansas State, Memphis, Kent State, UMASS and Toledo.

I have personally not seen him play but many have being that he's local. The buzz I've heard is he's worth developing but likely isn't the type of QB who can step in as a true freshman and compete for PT.

Tagging @Josh Stowers and @Aaron Perkins as they've seen him in person a bunch.
Is he a transfer? I had heard someone say that some out of state kids had transferred to Hurricane, but only hearsay.

Is he a transfer? I had heard someone say that some out of state kids had transferred to Hurricane, but only hearsay.
He started at Capital, went to an Ohio school for two years, and now came back to Hurricane. So he is an out of stater.

He started at Capital, went to an Ohio school for two years, and now came back to Hurricane. So he is an out of stater.

He’s from Hurricane. Grew up here.

Went to Capital. Went to Ohio. Moved back to play in his home town and with friends.

Not sure I’d consider him an out of state kid.

JR House was a seasonal athlete here in WV. Played football here in the fall and moved to Florida to play baseball in the spring. People didn’t look at him as an out of state kid.

I havent seen Long play as much as Josh has, but here is my take on him.

First off, I am very impressed with AAA football in this state right now. Any given friday you can turn a game on Video Productions, stream it to your TV and you feel like you are watching a college game. My only issue is the officials, although they try, are not able to keep up with the pace of the game. But that is for another discussion.

My opinions on Long:

Looks like a D1 qb right now. Many times we see guys and we are like, "hmm, well, his numbers are good, but he doesnt really look the part" Or we see a guy in WV that is just so much bigger than everyone that you cant really tell how they really look.

Long is different. He is playing around big time players, and against big time players and he still stands out.

He reminds me a little of AJ Graham. Long strides, covers a lot of ground when he pulls the ball down to run. But, he isnt looking to run, but he can when needed. Before you know it he dips out of bounds 8 yards down field and sets up a second and 2.

Very nice arm. He can make all the throws. Flicks the wrist and the ball effortlessly goes 45 yards and hits his spots.

Throws the ball on the run very well. Not just location, but with very good velocity.

Seems, from what I have seen, to always be calm and in control of the moment. I havent seen him make any mistakes that make you wonder if he knows what he is doing.

I cant really come up with any negatives. I know most will say, but he is playing in WV. And that may be the case. But when playing Huntington, and Midland, and some of the other big schools, his abilities still shown through.

Do I think he will come in and play on day one? No, I dont think he can do that. But, I didnt think Rakeem Cato or Chase Litton would either.

At the end of the day, a very good player, from a fantastic family. Best of both worlds, and I cant wait to watch him play in the Green and White!

I havent seen Long play as much as Josh has, but here is my take on him.

First off, I am very impressed with AAA football in this state right now. Any given friday you can turn a game on Video Productions, stream it to your TV and you feel like you are watching a college game. My only issue is the officials, although they try, are not able to keep up with the pace of the game. But that is for another discussion.

My opinions on Long:

Looks like a D1 qb right now. Many times we see guys and we are like, "hmm, well, his numbers are good, but he doesnt really look the part" Or we see a guy in WV that is just so much bigger than everyone that you cant really tell how they really look.

Long is different. He is playing around big time players, and against big time players and he still stands out.

He reminds me a little of AJ Graham. Long strides, covers a lot of ground when he pulls the ball down to run. But, he isnt looking to run, but he can when needed. Before you know it he dips out of bounds 8 yards down field and sets up a second and 2.

Very nice arm. He can make all the throws. Flicks the wrist and the ball effortlessly goes 45 yards and hits his spots.

Throws the ball on the run very well. Not just location, but with very good velocity.

Seems, from what I have seen, to always be calm and in control of the moment. I havent seen him make any mistakes that make you wonder if he knows what he is doing.

I cant really come up with any negatives. I know most will say, but he is playing in WV. And that may be the case. But when playing Huntington, and Midland, and some of the other big schools, his abilities still shown through.

Do I think he will come in and play on day one? No, I dont think he can do that. But, I didnt think Rakeem Cato or Chase Litton would either.

At the end of the day, a very good player, from a fantastic family. Best of both worlds, and I cant wait to watch him play in the Green and White!
Not a knock on the kid’s teammates, but there are only a couple of “big time players” in the entire state of WV every year. I’m sure @riflearm2 would agree with me. As a whole, the “best kids” in WV end up in the Mountain East Conference.

Not a knock on the kid’s teammates, but there are only a couple of “big time players” in the entire state of WV every year. I’m sure @riflearm2 would agree with me. As a whole, the “best kids” in WV end up in the Mountain East Conference.

Ok, let me change my wording. Maybe there are only a couple Big time players, but there are many that at least resemble the part that they could be big time players in regards to size. The Huntington/Hurricane game had several division 1 football players in it. Several.

And we couldn't figure out why no FL schools gave him an offer. Maybe UCF? Wasn't he player of the year for his class?
He had a couple offers. As you recall he was victim of wrongful arrest which kept a lot of teams away. He ended suing the PD and winning. They arrested him because his grandmother's car was similar to the getawat car and AJ's ears looked like those described.

And yes he was Mr. Florida.

He had a couple offers. As you recall he was victim of wrongful arrest which kept a lot of teams away. He ended suing the PD and winning. They arrested him because his grandmother's car was similar to the getawat car and AJ's ears looked like those described.

And yes he was Mr. Florida.
Yep. If Long turns out to be as athletically gifted as AJ was, we will all be doing back-flips.

Yep. If Long turns out to be as athletically gifted as AJ was, we will all be doing back-flips.
If you list the top 3 attributes of a QB and any the them are athleticism, you don’t have a QB, you have an athlete trying to be a QB. That’s been true at Marshall, it’s been true in college FB in general, and it’s true in the NFL.

Sure, you get freaks like Vick or Cam Newton that are so explosive that they can be productive in a one read passing scheme, but we aren’t getting that guy.

I want a smart guy with leadership skills, a high drive to succeed, and a capable arm. Don’t care about his 40 time or vertical.

If you list the top 3 attributes of a QB and any the them are athleticism, you don’t have a QB, you have an athlete trying to be a QB. That’s been true at Marshall, it’s been true in college FB in general, and it’s true in the NFL.

Sure, you get freaks like Vick or Cam Newton that are so explosive that they can be productive in a one read passing scheme, but we aren’t getting that guy.

I want a smart guy with leadership skills, a high drive to succeed, and a capable arm. Don’t care about his 40 time or vertical.

When speaking of a qb i dont believe athleticism is meant as how fast they are or how high they can jump. Mahomes is an incredible athlete at qb because of what he can do with his body and arm. I saw that with Long. He is not Mahomes, I am not saying that. But some of the throws he can make while on the run are incredibly athletic.

So i disagree that being an athlete cannot be listed in top three attributes for a quarterback playing football in 2023.

AJ would have been a good one had he been fully invested. Had all the talent in the world.
I think blowing his shoulder out at Tulsa ruined his career. Cato had just been benched for his tantrum at UCF and AJ was looking good. All that down time was bad for him. Same with Kevin Grooms.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT