ADVERTISEMENT

Quit Blaming Litton

Oct 10, 2016
Litton can only do so much!! First of all legg cant call a good pass play to save his life and u also have got throw in to the fact that van horn and selby are the only ones that know how to block..

Hard to believe this is the same QB that delivered 10 wins last season?

Still I do not blame just him, entire team isn't playing well.

Young teams can be strange, and we aren't half way through the season yet.

FAU will loom large as a barometer of things to come.

We saw a WKY team that was almost in the same position as we are now turn their season around, maybe #1 and company can do the same.

One thing for certain, pride goeth before the fall, and this team needs to get back to basics, not laud itself as #1 in anything for now.

Reactions: DeHerd
One thing for certain, pride goeth before the fall, and this team needs to get back to basics, not laud itself as #1 in anything for now.

Seriously, what reality do you live in? I don't see anyone associated with Marshall - players, coaches or fans - claiming to be #1 in anything other than you.

No one else claims to be the Notre Dame of G5s.

No one else claims to be anyone's Super Bowl.

No one else claims to be viewed as a P5 any other G5 schools.

It's you, man. Just you.

Comes down to this , beginning to realize we do not have what we thought we had.

You have to be able to and willing to take a hit in order to be successful - think back to CP and BL ...saw Chad one time in the locker room with a hip and thigh that looked like someone had been beating that area for a week with a with a ball bat and it stayed like that for many many weeks..dont think we need to go into BL and his heroic efforts especially one for sure.

Comes down to this , beginning to realize we do not have what we thought we had.

You have to be able to and willing to take a hit in order to be successful - think back to CP and BL ...saw Chad one time in the locker room with a hip and thigh that looked like someone had been beating that area for a week with a with a ball bat and it stayed like that for many many weeks..dont think we need to go into BL and his heroic efforts especially one for sure.
Im not saying Litton doesn't have flaws it just we need to keep his head up and not get the down so HOPEFULLY they can turn it around

im just a fan that hates when people blame it on one player when THEY WIN AS A TEAM AND LOSE AS A TEAM its a team effort

You picked the wrong time of the year to create an account and throw shade at everyone on here who is criticizing Litton. Quite simply, he's hurting this team and if you can't see that or don't like that who cares.

You picked the wrong time of the year to create an account and throw shade at everyone on here who is criticizing Litton. Quite simply, he's hurting this team and if you can't see that or don't like that who cares.
like i said i know he isn't perfect but i would like to see u go be a D-1 qb and be under pressure of carrying a team, then take some back lashing from fans, taking hits like he does, and then try to keep ur head high and not get down i bet u couldn't do it

Herdnation you are right about win as a team and lose as a team BUT the team generally had a leader. So if not Litton then who?

Herdnation you are right about win as a team and lose as a team BUT the team generally had a leader. So if not Litton then who?
See That's is exactly why we're are losing none of our seniors or anyone has stepped up to take leadership that's the one bad thing ab having a young team and like i have been saying i'm not saying he is perfect

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
like i said i know he isn't perfect but i would like to see u go be a D-1 qb and be under pressure of carrying a team, then take some back lashing from fans, taking hits like he does, and then try to keep ur head high and not get down i bet u couldn't do it

I doubt any of the posters here could do it. That's not the point though. Chase IS, allegedly, a D1 QB. He should be expected to learn the offense, make the correct reads, absorb hits, improvise, brush off fan criticism and lead. Obviously some posters don't think he can...yet. For some, the maturation process varies. Coaches generally fail or survive based on a quick learning curve.

Reactions: 30Kelly

That's why he's getting a scholarship paid for, it comes with the territory of a college athlete at the highest level.
And, when I was his age I was handed a rifle platoon and was responsible for not getting my people killed. I think I can handle the pressure of a few fans, hits, and criticism.
If he can't handle it maybe he should humble himself, lose the "let me find the damn camera after my td run against UNT after I've been smoked for three straight losses look." The kid needed humbled, and hopefully he's eating his humble pie and is learning from it. So far, he's the reincarnated version of Stan Hill.

Last edited:
Marine the "we are young" goes back farther than 7 years. I've been watching since 1960 and ever since the crash various coaches have used the we're young excuse. Moreover, I for one do not agree with redshirting players who are available and could make a difference now.

Reactions: Marine03
If we are damaging his ego, then he has some growing up to do. Litton has mechanics issues and, I think, head issues. Doc should never have given him the #1 jersey. Two, he needs to be a better teammate and quit pointing fingers when something goes wrong.

At this point, the kid has some major growing up to do. What he is facing comes with the territory of being a D1 QB. He can either choose to get better on and off the field or he can mope around and continue to deflect blame.

As to on field issues, he needs help from his teammates but from a QB perspective there is nothing preventing him from seeking out help to improve his mechanics and game. I am sure Kresser, Pennington, Leftwich and Cato would all help is asked.

Litton changed to #1 for what reason?!? He needs to live up to number, be a leader and step up his game... despite the play calls, he has options to change plays, make the throws that are needed, and make better decisions... if he is still gun shy from hit during Zippie game then he needs to ride pine until he gets his swagger back. I think it may be do-or-die time and to burn a red shirt for a QB with more potential and get this team moving forward.

I had to take a step back and think for a second guys. That's why I normally do not post until a couple days after the game during a loss to be critical. It was just the loss to North Texas did it for me, especially with a first hear head coach and a freshman (QB). We should have never lost that football game considering the continuity of our program the last 7-8 years.
Now with Chase Litton, I have to change my approach. Switching to jersey number 1 does not bother me as much because he (Litton) truly beliefs in his ability, maybe it's an insider confidence builder. That's great, we do want a (QB) leading the hustle with that mindset.
My change of thought comes from not really thinking a (QB) coach would work, to now believing an experienced (QB) coach could influence this young sophomore as it relates to how the offensive designed is schemed. So my question to Herdnation is, "what are our options at this point." Go Herd!

So my question to Herdnation is, "what are our options at this point." Go Herd!

- Play out the string. It has come to that. This team has zero chance of winning 5 more games and going to a bowl. So play out the string.

- Don't burn any red shirts, don't allow people to get hurt, don't get the players disaffected and doing stupid stuff at 2:30 AM. Get them in class and keep then elligable.

- Understand that there will be 4 or 5 QBs better than CL available because they have not made it at a higher program, several of those immediatly due to the "graduate transfer" rule.

- Get one. RS CL and see if he can develop for 18, and if not, encourage him to look at I-AA or DII.

Doc needs to load up on Juco DB's, WR and OL for next year and get a grad transfer QB or highly rated Juco QB in here. Then groom Gaines and Morrell for future duty. jmo.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Wisdom comes from years of watching football. Nobody has been harder on Litton than me. I have always questioned how he takes hits and how he runs. Football is a team sport. Simple as no I in team. The coaches have only one choise and thats chase litton. Gaines isnt allowed to get near a center. Morrell loooked like a high school qb in his start but he did show some toughness. Its like Chase is related to Doc and will play no matter what. A matter of fact they created a situation where only chase can qb this team. Clark and yuracheck are our two best receivers and Bryd at third. The rest better pick it up

Why the crap do we still run a "read option"? Count how many times in the past 2 years where the QB has kept the ball and ran. I am sick of seeing the same 4-5 plays called. If you are going to run that offense then by god put a QB in that can run the damn ball. If not then go with something else. We have a couple of decent running backs and Litton looks like he has a pretty good arm. Just run a pro offense that utilizes the run and pass and quit trying to be something that we were with Cato!!

Litton changed to #1 for what reason?!? He needs to live up to number, be a leader and step up his game... despite the play calls, he has options to change plays, make the throws that are needed, and make better decisions... if he is still gun shy from hit during Zippie game then he needs to ride pine until he gets his swagger back. I think it may be do-or-die time and to burn a red shirt for a QB with more potential and get this team moving forward.
Why burn Gaines' shirt when he isn't ready to be an FBS QB. He is far behind Morrell right now and should not be considered this year unless injuries force the issue.

Why the crap do we still run a "read option"? Count how many times in the past 2 years where the QB has kept the ball and ran. I am sick of seeing the same 4-5 plays called. If you are going to run that offense then by god put a QB in that can run the damn ball. If not then go with something else. We have a couple of decent running backs and Litton looks like he has a pretty good arm. Just run a pro offense that utilizes the run and pass and quit trying to be something that we were with Cato!!

A to the men brotha!

It at least made a little more sense when we utilized a hurry up offense, but definitely now it just limits us even further.

Legg apparently doesn't know any other offense.

Reactions: pdbailey
Burn a RS? Good Lord! This team stinks. Why in the world would you burn anybody's RS? The end result is a losing season either way. Why use a kid's future for nothing?

If every QB on the roster got hurt, before I burned a RS, I would have a regular student play out the string.

I do not feel it is Litton's fault. In my opinion we have been spoiled / lucky etc with the types of QBs we have had. Litton is simply a player that isn't paning out. That's the simplest way to put it.

Could the bigger issue be that maybe Doc simply doesn't have the desire/fire/enthusiasm that he once had?

I have no connection to Doc Holiday. My family has been friends with people that know him both personally and professionally as I grew up in th Hurricane area.

Plus I know a few people in media that have access to things (and no not Chuck) and float in circles where they see and hear things.

I am not aware of the current status of Holiday's contract, but remember when Doc was first hired? There was a clause that allowed him to leave if he was to coach WVU. In my mind that should tell every Marshall fan what they want to know about Holiday.

I can tell you for a fact he was a serious candidate for the head job at WVU until they gave the job to the late Bill Stewart. ( Bill Stewart is the one who hired him away from Florida - Doc took the job for a reason)

Doc and Bill had a very friendly relationship and likely view (ed) each other as such. Holiday knew the inside grumbling that Stewart had of Holgerson. Thus knowing there is turmoil in the WVU athletic department.

To shorten this up most would realize that WVU's issues were straightened out. Their recruiting classes are good. Although not stellar they are competing in the Big12 and depending on who you talk to Holgerson is likely safe and at worst Holidays chances of ever becoming the head coach at WVU have passed.

The people I know feel that because of the above scenarios- Doc simply is not as into it as he was. His goal since leaving Florida has always been to be head coach at WVU they feel, and now that that seems very much like a long shot, they think he has not been as enthusiastic about his career as he once was.

Now again I don't know him(Doc Holiday) I only know friends that do and I can assure you that what I typed above is simply their speculation as none are shrinks lol. And I can also assure you all that if you were to ask that they would totally deny ever having such thoughts and doubts and speculations.

But I'm sharing it with you because many have already posted similar sentiments about Doc losing the fire. Many are now starting to say the QB is throwing games etc. many want Legg's head on a platter.

All I can say is it starts at the top. Although I do not care for Holiday as a coach, I can tell you he is a good person and is very honorable and wants to do a great job. I can also tell you all that Legg has forgotten more about football than many of us will ever know.

No, none of that is an excuse as to where we are, but I think I fall into the category that Doc is not as hungry as he once was.

Just my $0.02

I am not aware of the current status of Holiday's contract, but remember when Doc was first hired? There was a clause that allowed him to leave if he was to coach WVU. In my mind that should tell every Marshall fan what they want to know about Holiday.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we had any clause for allowing Doc to leave if WVu called. If anything, I think the stipulation is he owes even more of a buyout if he left for WVu.

BTW, your description makes me think of Brian Kelly when he had a contract with UC. Notre Lame was his exclusion. If that part of Doc's contract is true, then I would agree with your thoughts on the chances that Doc has had the wind taken out of his sails and lacks the fire when he first started.

Burn a RS? Good Lord! This team stinks. Why in the world would you burn anybody's RS? The end result is a losing season either way. Why use a kid's future for nothing?

If every QB on the roster got hurt, before I burned a RS, I would have a regular student play out the string.
he is a QB. he either puts himself in the mix or not, if he isn't in the mix next year he can redshirt later. it's not the same question as a WR like Dobson going in a few plays etc and wasting it. There are 7 games left. Who says Gaines isn't ready? our coaching staff? LOL

Could the bigger issue be that maybe Doc simply doesn't have the desire/fire/enthusiasm that he once had?

To shorten this up most would realize that WVU's issues were straightened out. Their recruiting classes are good. Although not stellar they are competing in the Big12 and depending on who you talk to Holgerson is likely safe and at worst Holidays chances of ever becoming the head coach at WVU have passed.

The people I know feel that because of the above scenarios- Doc simply is not as into it as he was. His goal since leaving Florida has always been to be head coach at WVU they feel, and now that that seems very much like a long shot, they think he has not been as enthusiastic about his career as he once was.

But I'm sharing it with you because many have already posted similar sentiments about Doc losing the fire.

You have it exacly backwards.

Doc's contract provides for a $750K buyout, unless he leaves for WVU, for which the pay out is $3M. $3M is, and was designed to be, far above WVU's ability to ever pay. Every contract Doc has signed has been so designed. The second he put on the Green and White he understood that a return to USPAM was forever out of the question.

Doc's contract is $755K/year with bonuses (none of which he will collect this year) for conference championships, bowls and season ticket sales increases. $530,500 of the $$ comes from either the Big Green or the radio contract and thus outside the state's salary structure.

The reverse buyout, in case anybody wants to know, is thought to be 2 year's pay. The deal runs through 2021.

So if the theory is that Doc was using MU to get back to USPAM, and is now all depressed because USPAM (who will go about 8-4 in the woeful Big 2, Little 8) job won't be open until 2019 at the earliest, when Doc will be 63, then nope.

If you have the broader theory that Doc was using MU to get wherever, well Doc looked a couple of places, most seriously at Pitt and still owns property in south Florida, but I think Doc has realized that this is his one and only HC job and will, health permitting, ride it out until he is 67 or so.

he is a QB. he either puts himself in the mix or not, if he isn't in the mix next year he can redshirt later.

There are 7 games left.

Seven games, of which we WILL lose at least four and might lose six. Or keep that RS and have 12 games as a 5th year senior in 2020?

Pretty easy decision. This season no longer has any meaning. Play out the string. Don't get hurt. Don't do stupid stuff at 2:30AM. Study. Stay elligable. And don't burn a RS.

If Litton doesn't want that pressure go join the Golf team where nobody cares how you preform

Stop with " young team" BS, that excuse is nearly 7 years old

Actually it's not, we only have what 6 senior starters and more starters that are Freshman and Sophomores than Junior and Seniors so yes this is a young team. What we have 30 out of 65 players on the travel squad that didn't travel last year. That's alot

He doesn't have the option to call plays. We literally line up and run the play signalled in nor matter what the defense is showing.

Litton has a lot of issues right now but he is not running the routes, making the blocks, running the ball, or calling the plays.

We have an offensive line that was billed as the best and strongest we've ever had and they have played extremely soft all season.

We have WRs that run the wrong routes and can't find separation.

We have RBs that can't hit the holes before they close up and when they do can't break a run wide open.

Then we have an offensive coordinator that keeps calling the same plays over and over and over again with the most simple route concepts that allow any defense with half decent DBs to defend.

You can rewind this board back to 2011 and 2012 we were all sitting here calling out Cato being scared to death to run and not being mentally tough. There were a lot of people demanding that AJ Graham be put in as the starter.

Bill Legg needs to do a better job of putting our players in a position to win. He runs not motion, no misdirection, or any creativity. We throw to the sideline and down the sideline. That is it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT