ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically, what 1 more win this season?

I am just happy we are going to end the season with more than one win. Yes, I know we beat Norfolk State, but that is like Bush reminding Kerry that he forgot to mention Poland.

Reactions: Sunshine2269
Today was just as bad, and it was at home, against an FCS opponent.

We're legitimately worse in year 2 of Huff. I see multiple woodshed beatings in our not so distant future.
I think we beat Ga State. After that, unless we solve the problems on the offense, we will be lucky to win 5 games

Reactions: Sunshine2269
I think we beat Ga State. After that, unless we solve the problems on the offense, we will be lucky to win 5 games
Our defense is good enough to compete with anyone on our schedule... With the exception of Bowling Green they have been phenomenal all season.

But if we have to score 20+ points to win, it isn't looking good... I think we beat Ga. State, and ODU, so the key to making a bowl game is going to be pulling at least one upset of Louisiana, Coastal, App, JMU or Ga. Southern.

I think best case is probably 7-5... Worst case 4-8.

Reactions: ohio herd
Didn’t watch or listen to the game.
It appears we have a serviceable defense.
We are not very good on ST
On offense: One of the few possibilities is the return of Ali (rumored to be in 11 days vs Loosiana). He and Laborn would have to rate top 10 nationally as a backfield duo. Double TE sets, alternate them and just make them stop the run.
Mix in the occasional play action, but keep it simple. Apparently the OL group is better at run blocking than anything else.
However: If I am Rasheen, do I really want to get back into this mess?
Also - how much worse can we be if Luke P. or either of the other 2 frosh QB’s hands off to AliLaborn?
Just my 2 cents….. Go Herd!!!

Reactions: IslandHerd1
Our defense is good enough to compete with anyone on our schedule... With the exception of Bowling Green they have been phenomenal all season.

But if we have to score 20+ points to win, it isn't looking good... I think we beat Ga. State, and ODU, so the key to making a bowl game is going to be pulling at least one upset of Louisiana, Coastal, App, JMU or Ga. Southern.

Rhino - I believe we can only count one of the 2 FCS wins, so we need two out of that group you mentioned……

Reactions: mlblack16.
Rhino - I believe we can only count one of the 2 FCS wins, so we need two out of that group you mentioned……
Theoretically you are correct... But realistically, any team that wins 6 will get a bowl game. If it comes to that, we will get a waiver saying scheduling 2 FCS teams was "beyond our control due to conference realignment."

Theres too many bowl games, but that's a discussion for a few months from now.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I think we have a better chance against Louisiana or ODU than Georgia St. I think Georgia St is pretty solid.

Reactions: ohio herd
Didn’t watch or listen to the game.
It appears we have a serviceable defense.
We are not very good on ST
On offense: One of the few possibilities is the return of Ali (rumored to be in 11 days vs Loosiana). He and Laborn would have to rate top 10 nationally as a backfield duo. Double TE sets, alternate them and just make them stop the run.
Mix in the occasional play action, but keep it simple. Apparently the OL group is better at run blocking than anything else.
However: If I am Rasheen, do I really want to get back into this mess?
Also - how much worse can we be if Luke P. or either of the other 2 frosh QB’s hands off to AliLaborn?
Just my 2 cents….. Go Herd!!!
Why waste a RS on the frosh qbs with a season like this

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Just don't see a QB so far as more than just servicable. QB play has been suspect for every game. Even in the ND win. If we relay on #8 all season will be a long season and Laborn will not make it through the season. O coaches need to figure out a passing game cause is horrible for now. I could not do better, but never been able to throw a football. Give one of the freshmen a chance in 1 or 2 more games. see what they cn do. you can ply in 3 games and not lose redshirt???

Louisiana is struggling just like us right now. Eerily similar actually

didn't get to see the game but saw it was 14 to 7 at halftime. Really didn't care after that. I thought about coming up to see the appy st game and maybe coastal game but I've seen dumpster fires before. Well I'll be ready for next year I guess until then I'll just consider myself a bush league kinda guy.

Reactions: alphasig1053
didn't get to see the game but saw it was 14 to 7 at halftime. Really didn't care after that. I thought about coming up to see the appy st game and maybe coastal game but I've seen dumpster fires before. Well I'll be ready for next year I guess until then I'll just consider myself a bush league kinda guy.
We need to hit the portal again next year for a QB, one that can get the job done. OR, throw one of the freshmen in there now, let him take his lumps, then he'll be ready next year. I mean, lightning could strike a second time, as it did in '95.

And? They're back to being a bottom 25 program just like they've always been aside from the last 3 years.
And... a post earlier from RhinoD listed Louisiana in the same breath with JMU/Appy, etc and that it would take an upset to beat them. Louisiana, like us, presently does not belong in that group. It won't be an upset to beat them, even with our struggles.

I want to believe but not sure what will happen to turn the season around after 5 games. Our defense is really good. Our offense idk . Maybe the guys in the Shewey building will figure it out.After yesterday it looks like 4-8 or 5-7. Hope I am wrong!

If we need to get a waiver to meet the minimum standard for bowl eligibility then we probably need to just sit our asses at home.
While I agree with you... No school not named Notre Dame or Alabama can afford to turn down the opportunity to play in a bowl game. We need the money/exposure.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Today was just as bad, and it was at home, against an FCS opponent.

We're legitimately worse in year 2 of Huff. I see multiple woodshed beatings in our not so distant future.
we will be lucky to finish .500 unless we make some offense changes

While I agree with you... No school not named Notre Dame or Alabama can afford to turn down the opportunity to play in a bowl game. We need the money/exposure.
Exposure might be good but my guess is we make little to nothing (after expenses) going to a bowl game. Unless we go to the top 10 or so bowls we're going for pennies.

Exposure might be good but my guess is we make little to nothing (after expenses) going to a bowl game. Unless we go to the top 10 or so bowls we're going for pennies.
This is incorrect. With conference revenue sharing of bowl money (I'm admittedly not sure how the Sun Belt works) but you definitely do not go in the red. To get a bowl and anything net positive monetarily, you absolutely take the bowl. Not even a question.

We need to hit the portal again next year for a QB, one that can get the job done. OR, throw one of the freshmen in there now, let him take his lumps, then he'll be ready next year. I mean, lightning could strike a second time, as it did in '95.
Not that I don't disagree with you muthed but portal doesn't give us s**t if we can't develop these kids and find som coordinators on offense that has some ambition to win games. As far as the head coach... not sure he's our guy he can't seem to find anyone that knows what the hell to do. However I'm trying to give this man time but my patience is wearing thin

This is incorrect. With conference revenue sharing of bowl money (I'm admittedly not sure how the Sun Belt works) but you definitely do not go in the red. To get a bowl and anything net positive monetarily, you absolutely take the bowl. Not even a question.
Of course you take the bowl. We shouldn't lose money, but we're not reaping a net profit of $1M, or anything close.

Not that I don't disagree with you muthed but portal doesn't give us s**t if we can't develop these kids and find som coordinators on offense that has some ambition to win games. As far as the head coach... not sure he's our guy he can't seem to find anyone that knows what the hell to do. However I'm trying to give this man time but my patience is wearing thin
Agreed.

I want to believe but not sure what will happen to turn the season around after 5 games. Our defense is really good. Our offense idk . Maybe the guys in the Shewey building will figure it out.After yesterday it looks like 4-8 or 5-7. Hope I am wrong!
we beat a team by 21 that Coastal
Now that’s funny!! No way in hell we finish 8-4
ok 9-3

Reactions: 120050143
If Huff gets to 8 wins he will make me a believer. But I think 4-5 wins is the max.

Before the season started, I saw a lot of predictions on here and elsewhere that predicted us either 8-4 or 7-5. Expectations got blown up after the Notre Dame game. I can see us winning 4 more. Louisiana, CC, Georgia St. and Old Dominion.

Good time for an off week and get some teaching in. The OL HAS to play better. They affect everything regarding the offense. Tricketts play calling has sucked the last 3 games, maybe that is a reflection of the OL' s extremely poor ability to block, hold blocks - specifically on pass plays.

Teams are gonna load the box to stuff Laborn and make us beat them with the pass. We'll what this staff can do.

As the OL goes, so goes our season. jmo

Good time for an off week and get some teaching in. The OL HAS to play better. They affect everything regarding the offense. Tricketts play calling has sucked the last 3 games, maybe that is a reflection of the OL' s extremely poor ability to block, hold blocks - specifically on pass plays.

Teams are gonna load the box to stuff Laborn and make us beat them with the pass. We'll what this staff can do.

As the OL goes, so goes our season. jmo

Well, we do have issues to address. But, the BG was a gift game and Troy on the road is not a horrible loss. So, I'll wait until we lose to LA before I lose my mind, well probably won't lose my mind but apathy will really set in. If we were 3-1 right now, people would be a lot different.

I think we certainly can and should win the next one at home. Bottom line, we can play decent to good defense and we can run the ball, so if we play smart and improve we can have at least a moderately successful doc like season. Plus Ali may rejoin in the coming weeks. Let's just see how it plays out.

Some of our fans need medication, three weeks ago losing mind the coach will leave now losing mind that we are stuck with him. I'm disappointed in the last couple of weeks as well but come on.

I tend to agree.....4-8 and NO Bowl game in December!

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT