ADVERTISEMENT

Reason #2 Why Marshall FB Rebounds from Last Season

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
The Best Defense is a Good Defense

Marshall struggled in many facets of the game last season but none were more surprising to me than the defense. There were times we looked strong and formidable. And then other times - often in the same series - we were a sieve. Was it personnel? Scheme? Preparation? Execution? Most likely all the above. Maybe it's just me, but I am excited to see how this year's defense answers last season's problems.

LB depth is crazy. The 3's can play, and we could win with the 2's. There shouldn't be a better group of starting LBs in the conference, maybe in all of G5. Hate losing Moody, and I sure wish we had Young for the first four. But that will mean more reps for a hungry second group, and that kind of PT pays off later in the season.

I am cautiously optimistic about the secondary. A healthy Reavis, Gant is ready to have a special year, and I really like Jackson and McClain-Sapp. Could be a special group.

Big questions across the DL but I like the bodies in there. If Bee can make the adjustment the we have a monster on the inside to go along with Harris. I love Keller's motor, and Couch may be one of the most improved on the defensive side of the ball. Tyler, Durant, and Dozier will all get decent PT and can hold their own. I do worry about depth inside. I'm not really sure who will step up but I feel like someone will.

But all the parts are useless if we don't learn to play together. Defense is about doing your job, and then trusting that the guy beside you will do his. It's about setting the bar high and holding each other accountable. It's about emotion and leadership and heart. I think the pieces are in place for both the brains and the brawn. There are leaders on that side of the ball. And there are a group of players who will give all they have for the team. I think this season will be one the defense can be proud of.

Marshall's defense is another reason why I think Marshall Football will rebound from last season.

The key to their lack of success at times, was because they spent 90% of the game time, on the field.
The offense needs to not only speed the game up, but slow it down for the defense to get a rest.

Until we can stop the slant or the WR screen on third down, it will be same ol same ol

Good grief the new spokesperson for Herd football is at it again - All4TheHerd! Do you actually go to the games? Speed it up? With Bill Legg calling the shots! Slower pace? What pace do you think we are at now?

Based on what I'm reading, we definitely need a new forum rule where certain posters must refrain from calling WVU fans the dumbest in the country.

For the record, I'm not a WVU fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT