ADVERTISEMENT

Reason #5 Why Marshall FB Rebounds from Last Season

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
Just for Kicks

Last season's return game was rather benign, while last season's FG kicking game was a critical factor in a few loses. I think this year's special teams will have a positive impact on Marshall's season.

Keion Davis did a decent job returning kicks last year and there is no reason to think he couldn't be even better with a year of experience behind him. Building on a solid 23 yard average and 1 TD, he should be a steady option this season. I like what Davis brings to the return game. So I really don't mean any disrespect here when I say I am enthusiastic for a Willie Johnson/Tyler King combo catching that kick. Not just the speed, but the open field elusiveness they bring could make the KO return a dangerous weapon this season. (I just hope they don't get a lot of opportunities, if you know what I mean.)

Amoreto Curraj was 4/10 in FGs last season. And the unseen stat that a low percentage like this doesn't show, is the change in strategy past the 50 when a coach doesn't trust this unit . There were many FGs that weren't even attempted due to that lack of confidence. As of now, Kaare Vedvic is winning the job. He has always had a superior leg, but he's been erratic with his accuracy. If he really can put both together as he's done so far in camp, then Marshall will have a real ace to play whenever we creep across into opponent's territory.

Vedvic also handled the punting last season, and did a decent (40 yd ave) job. But wait until you see the way the ball is jumping off his foot this fall. He will bring comparisons to Tyler Williams. Seriously, the boy has a cannon in that leg.

I'm not sure who will be the primary punt returner. I do think several players will get an opportunity here. Hyleck Foster has proven dependable, and with the PR game that is as important as big returns. But I have the feeling we may have an athlete or two who could provide both security and excitement. I can't wait to see who gets the call.

Special Teams are another reason why I think Marshall Football will rebound from last season.

JudgeDD how many more of your "Rebound from Last Season" are we going to see from you? You are up to 5. Give you credit though in that you do offer your explanations.

Davis lacks break away speed. Speed like
Moo-Moo, Reaves, Butler, Grooms, Brandon Rodgers.

Reasons 1-5 why Marshall will not rebound from last season.

1. We lose to Miami
2. We lose to NC State
3. We have a bye week way to early
4. We lose to Kent State
5. We lose to Cincinnati

I personally have been thoroughly enjoying the "reasons MU Football will rebound this season" - thank you, JudgeDD. It is great to catch a glimpse through the eyes of someone who actually understands the game and has passion to want the Herd to succeed.

Well-reasoned, well-researched and enjoyably short enough to read completely.

if bgr28 is correct, we will be over it quickly. no slow death.

I certainly hope he is not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT