ADVERTISEMENT

Ref issue

houston_herd_fan

Silver Buffalo
Mar 5, 2007
This game is a perfect example of the problems of the refs in this league. NO consistancy in how they call the games. The last 4 games I watched would have had at least 4 or 5 more fouls be each team. Teams have no idea how to play, finense game or physical game. It changes in a wide range from game to game. Should have at least some kind of consistancy would be better I would think.

Well houston look at it this way. The overall level of play in CUSA is not all that good. The officials don't take poor shots, throw errant passes, miss free throws, commit silly fouls, etc. Perhaps you need to take an officiating class and see how you would do. I have watched Marshall since 1969 and it does not matter what conference they were in the officials were always terrible - according to fans who are not knowledgeable of the game.

Well houston look at it this way. The overall level of play in CUSA is not all that good. The officials don't take poor shots, throw errant passes, miss free throws, commit silly fouls, etc. Perhaps you need to take an officiating class and see how you would do. I have watched Marshall since 1969 and it does not matter what conference they were in the officials were always terrible - according to fans who are not knowledgeable of the game.
Hard to blame the refs for this mess.

7 point lead at half ends up with 15 point loss. Coach's post game comments basically "I don't know" when asked what was reason for loss. Said disappointed in "defense" or lack thereof, based on how much they practice it. Herd got NOTHING from bench. Southern Miss got 38 points from bench, MU got 5!!!! Eagles had two sophs play like Michael Jordan off the bench: made shots, slashing to the basket, rebounding, playing "D", tough floor game, playing with energy and HUSTLE, etc. Of course not hard to look good on O playing against Herd's lackadaisical and "half assed" defense. Oh, So Miss's "big", about 6'7", had career high in 3s, 5, and scored over 20, while season's average is about 12 ppg. Broken record just about every loss: some opposing player having a career night against our so called D.

Time for D'Antoni to take a long, long hard look at his team, his roster, etc., which, quite bluntly. is very, very SHORT on ATHLETICISM and TALENT. WE CONTINUE TO GET VERY, VERY LITTLE FROM OUR BENCH, FROM OUR EUROPEAN PLAYERS, and FROM OTHER SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS, BE THEY FROM THE "304" or ELSEWHERE!!

Unless things turn around the rest of this season, then COACH D is going to have to man up and do things HE DIDN'T HAVE TO DO AS A HIGH SCHOOL COACH OR AN NBA ASST: Give serious consideration to revoking some scholarships for next season and directing his staff to start scouring the city HS leagues, playgrounds, etc., for some PHYSICALLY STRONG AND TOUGH, MEAN ATTITUDE, ATHLETIC PLAYERS who may not be 3 point "prima donnas", but can play tough defense, hustle for loose, "50-50" balls, go hard to the boards for rebounds, and don't constantly allow players to drive with no resistance unimpeded 15-20 feet straight to the hole for easy HIGH PERCENTAGE shots!!

Unless Coach D and staff come up with some ANSWERS REAL QUICK, it appears that the Fat Lady is getting a sharp fork ready to stick in MU BBall, 2016-17, and about to "SING"!!

Still would love to see Kilgore get a chance. Only walk-on on team. We watched him around here in HS and we know he leaves it all on floor. Believe DD is apprehensive to have recruits showed up by a walk-on though.

This game is a perfect example of the problems of the refs in this league. NO consistancy in how they call the games. The last 4 games I watched would have had at least 4 or 5 more fouls be each team. Teams have no idea how to play, finense game or physical game. It changes in a wide range from game to game. Should have at least some kind of consistancy would be better I would think.

We suck, nothing to do with the refs

Reactions: The Real SamC
Im sorry to say this and people might call me racist but we just have too many white boys on the squad who cant do nothing but shoot threes.

Wow, the Herd women blew a big lead tonight, too. Some sub came off the bench for Southern Miss and, according to Woody, had some kind of career night, scoring between 30 and 40. Eagles bench outscored Herd ladies by ridiculous amount, something like 40 or more to 2!! Unreal! Career night for opponent player and little help from the HERD bench (Sound familiar?).

Oh, and to top off the night, Mike D'Antoni's team blew a 20 point FOURTH QUARTHER LEAD against the Hawks in Houston. Hawk player Hardaway, Jr., went bonkers in 4th Quarter, no doubt with some considerable help (and little resistance) from another "D'Antoni Defense", scoring 20 last period points on open shots, slashing drives, etc., capped off with an emphatic DUNK!! Again, sound familiar, Folks? Bad night all around for "analytics", or whatever you want to call em!!! Way back in a business class in now no longer existing Northcott Hall, a wise MU professor told my class that anyone who tried hard enough could come up with some statistical data that supports just about ANY argument or position!!!

Im sorry to say this and people might call me racist but we just have too many white boys on the squad who cant do nothing but shoot threes.

Now Fever, some exceptions to your generalization. While generally the 3 point and other long range shots are very popular among European players, leagues, etc., our staff has managed to round up 3 continentals who have virtually no ability with the 3 pointer with ANY consistency. Further they also manage the same ineptitude with layups and 3 to 5 foot jump shots as well!!

Reactions: Herd Fever

You are a racist and a moron.

No one is an apologist and no one is excusing these losses. The only thing anyone has ever said is that we are better off right now than we were with a team full of morons prior to Dan coming. We made a good run last year and can do the same this year. As I said all last year, our same issues are here again. We can't defend, won't defend. We don't help, we don't get backside rotation, we're always chasing. These are effort and intensity issues that weren't there earlier in the year. Even though we were giving up points, we were getting stops, just a ton of possessions. Still yet, there is no reason to freak out. I don't know what Marshall basketball expectations should be, but I do know that we haven't been in the tournament since 1987. We just got out of a time where we had a team full of prima-donna, drug addicted (athletic) idiots that couldn't win, and this is just year 3 for Dan. It's a long season, losses happen even to teams you should beat in basketball. Happens all the time to (almost) every team that isn't going to compete for a national title. We don't need to freak out like children. We have to understand that Dan took a program that was awful and/or mediocre at times for 30 years. Dan deserves the time and the full opportunity (and then some) to build this program from the ground up, because it was lower than the ground when he got here.

For those touting your perceived successes about knowing basketball, you still don't. You just know outcomes, as in you can read scores and stats. Our kids are good and talented enough to win, as we have already seen and they're good young men. They represent us well, I'm proud of that.

Good thing the season isn't over and there's a conference tournament.

Reactions: Herdmeister

I recently watched a Herd game that was a losing effort with a friend who went to Kansas State. Five minutes in he said the same thing.

You are a racist and a moron.

No one is an apologist and no one is excusing these losses. The only thing anyone has ever said is that we are better off right now than we were with a team full of morons prior to Dan coming. We made a good run last year and can do the same this year. As I said all last year, our same issues are here again. We can't defend, won't defend. We don't help, we don't get backside rotation, we're always chasing. These are effort and intensity issues that weren't there earlier in the year. Even though we were giving up points, we were getting stops, just a ton of possessions. Still yet, there is no reason to freak out. I don't know what Marshall basketball expectations should be, but I do know that we haven't been in the tournament since 1987. We just got out of a time where we had a team full of prima-donna, drug addicted (athletic) idiots that couldn't win, and this is just year 3 for Dan. It's a long season, losses happen even to teams you should beat in basketball. Happens all the time to (almost) every team that isn't going to compete for a national title. We don't need to freak out like children. We have to understand that Dan took a program that was awful and/or mediocre at times for 30 years. Dan deserves the time and the full opportunity (and then some) to build this program from the ground up, because it was lower than the ground when he got here.

For those touting your perceived successes about knowing basketball, you still don't. You just know outcomes, as in you can read scores and stats. Our kids are good and talented enough to win, as we have already seen and they're good young men. They represent us well, I'm proud of that.

Good thing the season isn't over and there's a conference tournament.

Look just face the facts finally

We have a team with a bunch of unathletic, soft, 1 trick ponys and cant play defense for shit, cant rebound for shit, cant dribble or lose a man for shit, cant work the ball to the post, a dumb ass coaching staff that nobody wants. They cant adjust, cant coach defense, cant coach proper rebounding. They just show up to collect their checks.

And your right its year 3, we should be better than this but nope his First 3 recruiting classes have been nothing but a waste of Marshall money.

We need ballers not 3 point jackers who would be bench riding walk-ons anywhere else.

Oh and that Wake Forest Walk-on averaged 2 points and was benched most of his sophomore year.

People like @herd4life5 (HN) appreciate mediocrity because the majority of the team looks like him and he can relate. Look man we are a suck ass team that plays an overrated offensive system.

Wrong herd4life5 DD has shown nothing thus deserves nothing. You must be another "Bleed Green Former Herd Great Who Can Do No Wrong" no matter how long it takes. Not me. Get rid of him now. Next years team will be a disaster. Taylor will be gone. We will be the smallest team in CUSA if not in the nation with guards attempting 3s from all over. That's not basketball herd4life.

Wrong herd4life5 DD has shown nothing thus deserves nothing. You must be another "Bleed Green Former Herd Great Who Can Do No Wrong" no matter how long it takes. Not me. Get rid of him now. Next years team will be a disaster. Taylor will be gone. We will be the smallest team in CUSA if not in the nation with guards attempting 3s from all over. That's not basketball herd4life.

Not even close to basketball

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT