ADVERTISEMENT

RIP

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
263256441_463039911845980_4418895030706104545_n.jpg

I’m going to actually count how many I see next time I’m watching football (only TV I watch with commercials.) I’ll post the results either way to be fair.

Reactions: GK4Herd
Don't mean to sound like a Pigeon Forge tourist, but how will you count interracial couples?
This reminds me. When I was in college I used to go to a comedy club on the weekends sometimes. The host (Anthony Quinn) was black, and this was in Blacksburg right next to the VT campus so most of the audience was white.

So every show, after he did his warm up set, he’d ask who was there for the first time. Then he’d pick the most naive looking girl to come up on stage, and he’d bring out the negrometer.

The negrometer was a device that went from 1-15 with markings like “the Oval Office” for 1 or “back of a squad car” for 2 or “Lakers Starting 5” for 5 or “Cast of Fresh Prince” for 7. He would change them up sometimes but the idea was the same. The purpose was to make sure the venue wasn’t “violating VA law” by having more than 15 black people in a bar at one time.

So he would task the poor girl with counting the black people in the bar and putting the arrow on the right number. The most common questions were “do you count?” to the host, “does the door guy count?” or the crowd favorite “what about if they’re half?”

That was a decade ago and I have no idea if the dude is still active in comedy but he was great. I found this video of him in a different venue than I always saw him in and with a different looking negrometer but you can at least get a look at it.

I’m going to actually count how many I see next time I’m watching football
I actually did this a few weeks ago. It is certainly not scientific because I only did it for a couple of commercial breaks, but the results were interesting.
First, I was amazed how many commercials there are between segments. I remember when one of the advantages of cable was that it was commercial free. Now, there are between 8-12 commercials in each break.
I watched approximately 20 commercials in a row. Of those, 12 had actors or spokespeople that were predominantly Black. Five commercials had a predominantly White cast. Three seem to be equally mixed.
What was my conclusion? I watch too much TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT