ADVERTISEMENT

Sanford out at WKU

Really, guys, there has to be another Brohm somewhere out there walking the mean streets of the Ville!

I mean, only about a few hundred of them played HS ball in the city and then most of them went on to play collegiately for the Cards!! WKU is sort of considered a farm system for grooming UL coaches, etc.

Damnit! I'll bet they got Doc on speed dial.

Face it, fellas. We're looking at Doc Holliday's last season with The Herd.

Will be a strong test for the conference stature IMHO. So will the vacancy at UNCC; and the one I expect to be coming in Norfolk. That loss to Rice has got to hurt.

The hiring of Davis and Kiffin has helped the league, a couple more retreads with big names will go a long way in furthering the stature of the league.

At our level, you have four choices:

- A hot assistant.

- A failed P5 retread.

- An ethically challenged P5 retread.

- A I-AA head coach.

Knowing WKU's history, they will go the ethically challenged route. It is how they roll.

BTW, ODU will not have a head coach openning, apparently. The HC fired his whole staff to keep his job.

At our level, you have four choices:

- A hot assistant.

- A failed P5 retread.

- An ethically challenged P5 retread.

- A I-AA head coach.

Knowing WKU's history, they will go the ethically challenged route. It is how they roll.

BTW, ODU will not have a head coach openning, apparently. The HC fired his whole staff to keep his job.

How come we didn't go one of those routes last time?

Stop with your bogus information. He has ten full-time assistants, not counting his strength coaches. He has numerous other staff members. He let four of this ten assistants go. That isn't even half of his on-field assistants, let alone "his whole staff."

Will be a strong test for the conference stature IMHO. So will the vacancy at UNCC; and the one I expect to be coming in Norfolk. That loss to Rice has got to hurt.

The hiring of Davis and Kiffin has helped the league, a couple more retreads with big names will go a long way in furthering the stature of the league.

Good point. Both came with a little bit of character/ethics baggage, and so far the juice seems to have been worth squeeze. But neither hire gave the conference the kind of win at all cost black eye, the way that hiring a Rick Pitino or an Art Briles might.

How has it helped the league? Kiffen brings headlines because he's a car crash waiting to happen and now that he missed a bowl he's old news. FAU fans are already wanting him gone. FIU hasn't gotten any serious press either. Outside of their hiring and Kiffen's flash in the pan it has done zero for CUSA as a whole. If WKU, UNCC, and ODU(if open) hire some retread it will get headlines on the press conference and that is it. No one is making a point to watch CUSA.

Overall it's bad football in empty stadiums. Did you see the pics from our game this weekend? FIU is playing for the east title, their ath dept bills it as the biggest game in program history, and there was hardly anyone there. The only thing that is ever going to raise CUSA's stature is for teams to start winning and beating P5s with consistency.

How has it helped the league? Kiffen brings headlines because he's a car crash waiting to happen and now that he missed a bowl he's old news. FAU fans are already wanting him gone. FIU hasn't gotten any serious press either. Outside of their hiring and Kiffen's flash in the pan it has done zero for CUSA as a whole. If WKU, UNCC, and ODU(if open) hire some retread it will get headlines on the press conference and that is it. No one is making a point to watch CUSA.

Overall it's bad football in empty stadiums. Did you see the pics from our game this weekend? FIU is playing for the east title, their ath dept bills it as the biggest game in program history, and there was hardly anyone there. The only thing that is ever going to raise CUSA's stature is for teams to start winning and beating P5s with consistency.

Just think, Marshall is underachieving in a bad football league.

That's because most in the current configuration of CUSA are suite-case schools. You add that to the fact that it's a major holiday weekend, and all you have left are the locals. Yes winning does help, but that's why I've never understood Marshall home game attendance bashing when it comes to Herd fans. Some have no idea how unique the loyalty and love for Marshall is when it comes to attendance support by alumni, the city of Huntington and the area in general. The fan interaction on those FB games alone should point this out. It has to be close to 20 -1 the amount of pro Marshall comments there are compared to any school we've played when broadcast on Stadium or FB. Marshall's support at home or on the road has always been the envy of their conference mates in whichever conference we were in at the time, be it the SoCon, MAC or CUSA. I should know I went to Western Carolina, and the Marshall fan base that would travel to isolated Cullowhee, NC was better then any other school in the SoCon (other then App State who was Western's true rival in every sport). It was better than Furman, Chattanooga, ETSU, The Citadel, all of which had much shorter and easier drives. You're right the visual broadcast attendance for the FIU game seemed embarrassing low, based on what was at stake. I never saw a shot of the home side, just the visitors side where you saw a patch of Herd Green and the empty end zone shots.

Kiffen is trying to go the fast route to get another P5 job by going after numerous JUCOs and grad transfers, but Davis appears to be trying to build his program the right way at FIU with good HS recruiting and only taking JUCOs to fill roster holes. Davis is going to have good teams the next few years while Kiffen could either have another year like 2017 or flame out like this season. ODU would be more likely to go after the guy at JMU if they let Wilder go after next season. Wilder built that ODU program from the ground up so he is being given the opportunity to right the ship, but next season is his last chance to produce a winner.

That's because most in the current configuration of CUSA are suite-case schools.

That is part of it. Another part is this most CUSA schoools have a self-selected student body. Every state school (or public school, if you will, as the two terms are synomous) in CUSA, except for Marshall, is located in a state with a major national level program. And if you are really into sports and live in Florida, you go to UF or FSU. Same in Virginia with UVa or VPI. Same in Texas, or certainly Alabama and Kentucky, or any CUSA state, really. And if sports really are not your thing, you might look at the many other fine state (or public, synomous) schools in your state.

And students that really are not into sports grow up to be alumni that are not into sports.

And another part of most of CUSA is that many of the schools are in far bigger markets than Huntington, with 1000 other things going on, and, the local college sports are lost in the noise.

Some have no idea how unique the loyalty and love for Marshall is when it comes to attendance support by alumni, the city of Huntington and the area in general.

True. MU has a core of about maybe 30K people who really care about MU sports. That is vastly more than most G5 schools, including the vaunted AAC, and, in fact, the reason we are not a I-AA or even a Div II school in the first place. Fans build programs.

I agree with the above assessment of FAU and FIU's coaches, but at the end of the day, FIU could go 12-0 and the same crew as today would show up. No one cares.

......................Every state school (or public school, if you will, as the two terms are synomous) in CUSA, except for Marshall, is located in a state with a major national level program.....................

So WVU isn't a major national level program ? Maybe they moved it to another state besides the one that Marshall is in ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT