ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Night's Main Event

Sad how drug and alcohol addiction drastically cut short the sports entertainment career of Jake Roberts. It simply became too unsafe to work with the guy in the ring. Those few interviews he's granted the past couple of years, you can tell it has taken its toll.

My dad never cared much for wrestling, but he let me watch and he’d take me now and then to a live event.

However, if Macho was on the TV he’d always watch and say he was his favorite. I didn’t understand bc Macho was mostly a heel at times but now I understand. The guy was pure entertainment and a great worker.

giphy.gif

I used to watch Saturday night wrestling, compliments of WOAY, Oak Hill. Was one of like 4 channels we used to get. Jan Madrid was one of the big names, and he lived on the hill behind us. I always rooted for the bad guys, The Cubin Assassins. They dressed up like the Castros when they wrestled. Anybody remember watching this? Shirley Love did the play by play. Of course, I was probably only 9 years old then. How do some of you older guys still like this? What am I missing out on?

I used to watch Saturday night wrestling, compliments of WOAY, Oak Hill. Was one of like 4 channels we used to get. Jan Madrid was one of the big names, and he lived on the hill behind us. I always rooted for the bad guys, The Cubin Assassins. They dressed up like the Castros when they wrestled. Anybody remember watching this? Shirley Love did the play by play. Of course, I was probably only 9 years old then. How do some of you older guys still like this? What am I missing out on?

I rarely watch the current product now, just the big events.

The documentaries (Vice has a docu-series going now) of the 70-90’s era and podcasts about this are really entertaining to watch/listen to though. If my kids get into modern stuff I’ll watch more.

The live events are still really fun though. I try to go to Wrestlemania each year with friends and it’s an absolute blast. Just beer and nostalgia overflowing.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
IMO, wrestling was at its prime back in the early to mid-80's when characters were the best. Andre The Giant, Junkyard Dog, Hulk Hogan (not Hollywood or any other gay ass alter ego) Jimmy Supafly Snucka, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The British Bulldogs, Sgt Slaughter (who's kid went to Marshall) The Iron Sheik (his Twitter account is hilarious; don't know if it's really him) Ivan and Nikita Koloff, etc.

Oh and that cheesy ass I am a real American song/video. Communist shit, twinkle-toe cocksuckers like CuntryRoads, Greed and Dtard probably cried when that was played.

I watched any wrestling I could find as a kid. Once everyone had cable we had Flair, the Horsemen, all that shit. But everything was viewed through the lense of what the local TV and Tuesday nights at the Louisville Gardens taught me.

Before I moved to WV, we had Saturday noon wrestling with the Memphis territory on Louisville TV (and live at the Louisville Gardens every Tuesday night). It was pretty much batshit crazy. EVERYONE came through Memphis. Savage got his break there. Sting and Warrior were there early as a tag team. The Undertaker was there before he was famous, his gimmick was claiming he just got out of federal prison in Atlanta! Rick Rude, The Iron Sheik, Bam Bam Bigalow, a bunch of guys wrestled there before they became big. Jimmy Hart started there, he was Lawler's high school friend. The Andy Kauffman/Lawler thing that was so big they were on fvcking David Letterman. Flair came though, Hogan, you name them they did some shows there. Lance Russell was the main commentator and interviewer, he was a legend. His partner was, I shit you not, the chief meteorologist for the Memphis TV station that produced the show, Dave Brown...can you imagine a station letting news talent do that today? But back then, wrasslin' was so big, and Jerry Lawler was truly the King of Memphis, that news channel always led the Memphis ratings lol.

Horrible production values, no good tapes exist because the station just taped over everything....but this is a good representation of how batshit nuts it was: The Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl, four guys blading, bleeding, and beating the dogshit out of each other (Lawler and local star Bill Dundee as faces, the heels would become The Honky Tonk Man and Moondogg Spot):

The local territory days were the shit, as I talk about in my other post. Cubans lol. Memphis had a guy named Tojo Yamamoto, everyone hated him. My grandmother would watch wrasslin' with me when I was a kid, she always called him a "Jap son of a bitch" lol. Funny thing is, he was Hawaiian and lived there when the Japs attacked! He would come in waving The Rising Sun flag and beat the shit out of people with a kindo stick. Super heat.

Absolutely epic match between Jake and Randy.
Savage legit lets his head hit the ringpost. Donk. Twice. That's hardcore lol.

I highly recommend the Bruce Pritchard Something to Wrestle With podcast and the 83 Weeks one with Eric Bischoff.

I recommend Jim Cornette's stuff. And as Cornette would say, fvck Eric Bischoff :D

Sad how drug and alcohol addiction drastically cut short the sports entertainment career of Jake Roberts. It simply became too unsafe to work with the guy in the ring. Those few interviews he's granted the past couple of years, you can tell it has taken its toll.

Legit...I saw Jake in person, backstage, at the time he was really messed up. I am not going to share all the details, in short he was told he would not be allowed to wrestle, he got mouthy and swung on the promoter, he got his ass beat by a couple of guys, and thrown out the door.

Oh and that cheesy ass I am a real American song/video. Communist shit, twinkle-toe cocksuckers like CuntryRoads, Greed and Dtard probably cried when that was played.

Not nearly as much as you cons cry on this board.

proxy.php

I rarely watch the current product now, just the big events.

The documentaries (Vice has a docu-series going now) of the 70-90’s era and podcasts about this are really entertaining to watch/listen to though. If my kids get into modern stuff I’ll watch more.

The live events are still really fun though. I try to go to Wrestlemania each year with friends and it’s an absolute blast. Just beer and nostalgia overflowing.
I just started watching the dark side of the ring series on vice. Thanks for the recommendation

I highly recommend the Bruce Pritchard Something to Wrestle With podcast and the 83 Weeks one with Eric Bischoff.

Yep… (it’s Prichard)...all of Conrad Thompson‘s podcasts are really good. Those two are great and Tony Schiavone’s is OK as well, just not my cup of tea. There is also a new one that Conrad is doing called Grilling JR. It’s has replaced Jim Ross’ old podcast and follows the same format as Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard.

A thread full of West Virginians talking about how the family used to gather ‘round the boobtube on Saturday nights to watch wrasslin’ and spew racial/ethnic slurs . . . I have no idea where the rest of the country gets their stereotypes from about you inbreds.

A thread full of West Virginians talking about how the family used to gather ‘round the boobtube on Saturday nights to watch wrasslin’ and spew racial/ethnic slurs . . . I have no idea where the rest of the country gets their stereotypes from about you inbreds.

And yet the local territory that took over the entire business nationwide was the New York territory.

Next time you cut a record with this guy be sure to make comments like this...

RickRubin.jpg

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Didn't they have a contest in Huntington one time to see if anybody could body slam King Kong Bundy?

The best was when the Iron Shiek came to Huntington right after the Iran hostage crisis. Him and Ivan Koloff.

The shiek by all accounts was a good guy in real life. But, man I was a kid then. It got ugly when he came out.

I remember the neighbor saying he was going to Huntington watch that commie bastard and raghead get whipped.

You grew up in podunk, upstate NY. Farm country. A place just like any small town in WV, only with more tractors and less air conditioning.

You’re not from NYC, DC, Orlando, or any of the other places you’ve adopted. You’re from an area that’s lucky to have a Burger King. So forgive me if I don’t take your constant barrage of WV insults personally.

Takes one to know one, as they say.

You grew up in podunk, upstate NY. Farm country. A place just like any small town in WV, only with more tractors and less air conditioning.

You’re not from NYC, DC, Orlando, or any of the other places you’ve adopted. You’re from an area that’s lucky to have a Burger King. So forgive me if I don’t take your constant barrage of WV insults personally.

Takes one to know one, as they say.
He is an upstate redneck. Got above his raisin'

Poor ole Rifle took that scholarship from hickville, WV, thinking he was going to be around bigger rednecks than the ones where he was raised. No wonder he's so damn bitter. We hill folk are more uppity and sophisticated than the back home hicks.

And yet the local territory that took over the entire business nationwide was the New York territory.

You're telling me that New Yorkers are bright enough to capitalize on the rest of the country? Shocker. That's why New York, California, and to a lesser extent, Texas, run this country. They are simply brighter than you hillbillies.

Didn't they have a contest in Huntington one time to see if anybody could body slam King Kong Bundy?

That's a waste. The average Huntington and/or West Virginian (with the exception of those hooked on meth) resident weighs more than Bundy. They didn't need him there for a contest.

You grew up in podunk, upstate NY.

I spent two-thirds of my youth in a borough - not even a city - with 1 million more people than the entire state of West Virginia. Fail #1.

No sane person has ever referred to places like Elmira and Corning as "podunk" or "farm country." Elmira was 15 minutes from where I went to high school. It is frequently shouted out by rappers including Nas, Ghostface, Fat Joe, Black Rob, RZA, Cappadonna, AZ, Q-tip, Saigon, etc. When that many major rappers are shouting out a city, you can be assured it isn't "podunk" or "farm country."

Corning, at one point while I lived there, had the highest number of PhDs per capita in the country due to it being the home of a Fortune 500 company whose business relied on science and tech. Nearly 10% of its residents are foreign born. Again, no sane person is calling a place that had the highest per capita of PhDs and that has nearly 10% of its residents born overseas is referring to it as "podunk" or "farm country."

My six years there were in areas far, far different and superior to anywhere in west virginia.

You’re not from NYC,

No? I lived twice as long there as any other place in NY, and they were the first dozen years of my life. Try again.

You're telling me that New Yorkers are bright enough to capitalize on the rest of the country? Shocker. That's why New York, California, and to a lesser extent, Texas, run this country. They are simply brighter than you hillbillies.

You were telling me only inbreds watched wrasslin'.

Bright enough? More like wrestling was so popular in New York, especially NYC, that the WWF (and formerly WWWF) routinely sold out MSG, and thus they had the money to outbid the NWA and sign Hulk Hogan. After all, it was the Briscoe Brothers of the NWA who discovered Hogan. The AWA could have made Hogan a star, but Verne Gagne (MN and IL territory) rightfully saw Hogan could not wrestle a lick...unfortunately, he did not realize this no longer mattered to fans.

Bottom line: McMahon got lucky he had a little more capital. He might have taken over, but he's also pretty much ruined wrasslin'.

Gagne was an interesting man. He played football for the Bears and wrestled. Papa Bear Halas told him he had to pick one...and wrestling paid a lot better than football in the late 1940s.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

Nope. Didn't say anything of the sort. Blame it on your west virginian education.

Bright enough? More like wrestling was so popular in New York, especially NYC, that the WWF (and formerly WWWF) routinely sold out MSG, and thus they had the money to outbid the NWA and sign Hulk Hogan. After all, it was the Briscoe Brothers of the NWA who discovered Hogan. The AWA could have made Hogan a star, but Verne Gagne (MN and IL territory) rightfully saw Hogan could not wrestle a lick...unfortunately, he did not realize this no longer mattered to fans.

Uhh, yeah. That would make them bright enough to realize the financial potential of it. And your comment about selling out MSG holds no water, as I never claimed that a city of 7+ million people doesn't have 20,000 hillbillies scattered throughout it.

Bottom line: McMahon got lucky he had a little more capital. He might have taken over, but he's also pretty much ruined wrasslin'.

Gagne was an interesting man. He played football for the Bears and wrestled. Papa Bear Halas told him he had to pick one...and wrestling paid a lot better than football in the late 1940s.

I believe Vince grew up in NC too.

Vince McMahon is from North Carolina and grew up in a rough environment. He was born in Pinehurst. His father left him and the family and his mother ran through a bunch of different men and Vince was beaten by one of them a lot. He was raised under another name, Vinnie Lupton because the stepfather was named Lupton. He went to ECU.

His story is actually pretty remarkable considering his childhood.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT