ADVERTISEMENT

Say Doc is let go. Who should we go after??

I'd say someone from FCS as a HC who has had some wins over P5's or at least G5's.
Also experience with deep runs in the FCs tournament.
They would have shown they can win big games against better teams as well as having a consistent program being run.
Everything for them at MU would be a pretty solid upgrade and could bring their coaching staff with them if they wanted.

Find a team with a capable offense run by a coordinator with some experience (more than 1 year) and hire him... Just off the top of my head here are three...

Rhett Lashley (OC) at SMU
Tony Elliot (co-OC) at Clemson
Andy Ludwig (OC) at Utah

Reactions: NKY_HerdFan
Find a team with a capable offense run by a coordinator with some experience (more than 1 year) and hire him... Just off the top of my head here are three...

Andy Ludwig (OC) at Utah

What about the guy already in green....Cramsey?

I'd say someone from FCS as a HC who has had some wins over P5's or at least G5's.
Also experience with deep runs in the FCs tournament.
They would have shown they can win big games against better teams as well as having a consistent program being run.
Everything for them at MU would be a pretty solid upgrade and could bring their coaching staff with them if they wanted.

What about Jay Hill, the HC at Weber State? His record at WSU is 45-29, but over the past 3 seasons his record is 30-9 and has won a share of the Big Sky title each of those 3 years.

Or could we poach someone from the North Dakota State coaching staff? It's hard to argue with their success.

Reactions: Elkview
Someone able to continue our good name in recruiting in Florida; ,may offer Major Applewhite another chance at a head job; playing teams in Texas.

Reactions: 5150
How much would their pay cut be to come to Marshall?

Legit question...

Elliot makes $1 million a year at Clemson
Ludwig makes $825,000 per year at Utah
Lashlee only makes $350,000 (plus bonuses)

I would try to sell them on having a legit chance to win immediately with Green, Knox, Gaines, etc. knowing that MU would likely be a stepping stone for them if they were successful... At this point I would take a guy with some ambition for bigger and better even if it means he is here 2-3 years.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Do any of you honestly believe that MH is even considering getting rid of Doc?

No... But this is a message board and some of us like to speculate about what could be.

In reality... We will somehow beat FIU by a field goal, go to the Gator Mowers St. Petersburg Grid Iron Club Classic benefitting The Human Fund sponsored by Wendy's and crush a mid-pack MAC team to finish 9-4 and the athletic office will let us all know what an "amazing" season we were fortunate enough to witness.

Andy Ludwig (OC) at Utah
I love the OC at SMU. They’re fun to watch.

Lashlee is exactly the type of coach we should be targeting when Doc is finally done.

Legit question...

I would try to sell them on having a legit chance to win immediately with Green, Knox, Gaines, etc. knowing that MU would likely be a stepping stone for them if they were successful... At this point I would take a guy with some ambition for bigger and better even if it means he is here 2-3 years.

Marshall can hire any coordinator that want from a P5 that wants to be a HC. If they don’t have a P5 head coaching job already in line for them. The next coach we have at Marshall will no doubt make a million dollars considering we have consistently paid more for each successive coach from Donnan to Pruett to Snyder to Doc. So if Doc is at 800K then it would make sense the next coach would make 1 million.

If you are a top notch P5 coordinator who came to Marshall and turned us back into a top flight G5 school again they would have several choices on what P5 school they would go to as a head coach.

But honestly it’s a moot point Doc isn’t going anywhere until he decides he’s going.

Reactions: 5150 and mlblack16.

Good point! If what people say is true (that John overrules offensive play calling) then Cramsey may be much better than what we are allowed to see. We could have the answer right here in our own backyard.

The question would be could he pull together the other resources needed to recruit, coach defense, etc.

Good point! If what people say is true (that John overrules offensive play calling) then Cramsey may be much better than what we are allowed to see. We could have the answer right here in our own backyard.

The question would be could he pull together the other resources needed to recruit, coach defense, etc.

Watching our offense this year, I can't imagine a scenario where Cramsey would be retained, let alone promoted to head coach.

For the sake of the hypothetical though, let's say Doc walks and Cramsey is given the job. It would be logical that he retain Lambert and the other defensive assistants.

Reactions: cottrell75
If Doc was leaving, the first 2 questions I would ask Cramsey would be:

1. Are you interested in the head coaching job? If yes, then...

2. Has Doc inhibited your ability to run the offense the way you want?

Up and comer fcs coach or lower division that is a winner. Playoff experience, runs or believes in a high octane offense(innovative) and I would have him clearly define his philosophy even they are a d coordinator or background. I would also set clear expectations as to what the school and fans expect in terms of winning and clearly defined goals of the program. I would run a true national search and I would ask to speak to men like Nick Saban, Dabo Sweeney, etc to get their opinions on coaches and how to run successful programs.

BIG money is what it's going to take to get a top-tier talent. And as long as we are fantasizing....Leftwich or Pennington might come for less than a proven top-tier coach/OC. Talk about (initial) fan support...wow! Ok, hit me w/ your best shot.

BIG money is what it's going to take to get a top-tier talent. And as long as we are fantasizing....Leftwich or Pennington might come for less than a proven top-tier coach/OC. Talk about (initial) fan support...wow! Ok, hit me w/ your best shot.

We need to beat ODU, Charlotte,WKU, FIU, and FAU. We can do that with what we pay or adding to what we need to pay.

Legit question...

You lost me at Green

I disagree. We just have to find the top tier talent before everyone knows about them. Urban Meyer was always top tier talent but he had to show it at Bowling Green before he ever got hired by Florida or Ohio State.

Reactions: caliherd

if you look at Cramsey’s resumé there’s really not much there to think he’s a great offensive mind. He was pretty average at all of his stops other than Sam Houston St which was already a well oiled machine when he took over.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Andy Ludwig (OC) at Utah

I was with Lud about a month and a half ago during their bye week. Being a head coach requires a certain personality. Some guys don't have it, and some don't want to be a head coach. He fits in that category.

,may offer Major Applewhite another chance at a head job; .

A "head job" is what got Major in trouble the first time. He was suspended while an OC for getting a head job from the school's cheerleader.

Watching our offense this year, I can't imagine a scenario where Cramsey would be retained, let alone promoted to head coach.

For the sake of the hypothetical though, let's say Doc walks and Cramsey is given the job. It would be logical that he retain Lambert and the other defensive assistants.

Lets look at it this way...Over Doc's career at Marshall, the offense has looked pretty much the same...bland, conservative and predictable. Mostly during Bill Legg's tenure. Enter Cramsey, and we are promised a high output, successful offense. What we get? Pretty much the same thing we've had the past several years. The common denominator? Doc. I think he's limiting Cramsey on the play calling and doesn't trust him to run his own. I'd be willing to give Cramsey a shot at it. Couldn't do any worse.

if you look at Cramsey’s resumé there’s really not much there to think he’s a great offensive mind. He was pretty average at all of his stops other than Sam Houston St which was already a well oiled machine when he took over.

During Cramsey’s lone season at Sam Houston State the Bearkats lead the FCS in total offense averaging 538 yards per game. SHSU was also first in scoring offense averaging a stunning 43.3 points per contest while Bearkats quarterback Jeremiah Briscoe won his second straight Walter Payton Award as the top player in the FCS.

Cramsey’s offenses at Montana State were just as impressive as the Bobcats averaged 475 yards and 37.6 points per game during his three seasons at the school.

The highlight of those came in 2015, his final year with Montana State, when the Bobcats lead the Big Sky Conference in both total offense and scoring offense. Again Cramsey got a stellar performance from the QB position as junior Dakota Prukop was a named a First Team All-American by the Associated Press.

With the Wolfpack at Nevada, Cramsey’s offense averaged 382 yards per game and scored 25.4 points an outing.

During Cramsey’s lone season at Sam Houston State the Bearkats lead the FCS in total offense averaging 538 yards per game. SHSU was also first in scoring offense averaging a stunning 43.3 points per contest while Bearkats quarterback Jeremiah Briscoe won his second straight Walter Payton Award as the top player in the FCS.

Cramsey’s offenses at Montana State were just as impressive as the Bobcats averaged 475 yards and 37.6 points per game during his three seasons at the school.

The highlight of those came in 2015, his final year with Montana State, when the Bobcats lead the Big Sky Conference in both total offense and scoring offense. Again Cramsey got a stellar performance from the QB position as junior Dakota Prukop was a named a First Team All-American by the Associated Press.

With the Wolfpack at Nevada, Cramsey’s offense averaged 382 yards per game and scored 25.4 points an outing.

So, maybe our head coach told him to "slow" it down?????

The next coach at MU, whenever that happens, will be someone 99,9% of people have never heard of. The idea that a “top P5 coordinator” would come here is laughable. It will be a I-AA HC or G5 coordinator.

And Doc is not going anywhere, nor should he.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304

The previous OC at SHSU, Phil Longo, put up slightly better numbers than Cramsey with the exact same personnel, only Longo had them a year younger in their development.

The next coach at MU, whenever that happens, will be someone 99,9% of people have never heard of. The idea that a “top P5 coordinator” would come here is laughable. It will be a I-AA HC or G5 coordinator.

And Doc is not going anywhere, nor should he.
What is wrong with you? Do you just enjoy saying stuff that is untrue and easily proven wrong?

Jim Donnan, Bob Pruett and Mark Snyder were all P5 coordinators at big time programs before they came here. Donnan was OC at Oklahoma and when he came here we were FCS (and played at Fairfield Stadium!) and he parlayed it into being the HC at Georgia. Pruett was the DC at Florida and Mark was the DC at Ohio State. Doc is the only coach we have had since 1989 that wasn’t formally a P5 coordinator, and not only were they from P5 programs they were at big time P5 programs.

You might not get the head coach in waiting at some power 5 school or one that is being interviewed for a P5 head coaching job. But if you don’t think Marshall wouldn’t have plenty of interest from a P5 OC or DC that doesn’t fit into the above category you are crazy.

Why do you think Luke Fickle went to Cincinnati, because of their deep football history? Of course not. Urban Myer coached at BG and Utah before they were P5. You honestly don’t think we are more attractive to a coordinator at a P5 than Bowling Green?

I would love to have a young gun OC that is looking for their first head coaching job, but I would also take a winner from the FCS ranks as well. They wouldn’t just have to be from a P5.

What is wrong with you? Do you just enjoy saying stuff that is untrue and easily proven wrong?

Jim Donnan, Bob Pruett and Mark Snyder were all P5 coordinators at big time programs before they came here. Donnan was OC at Oklahoma and when he came here we were FCS (and played at Fairfield Stadium!) and he parlayed it into being the HC at Georgia. Pruett was the DC at Florida and Mark was the DC at Ohio State. Doc is the only coach we have had since 1989 that wasn’t formally a P5 coordinator, and not only were they from P5 programs they were at big time P5 programs.

You might not get the head coach in waiting at some power 5 school or one that is being interviewed for a P5 head coaching job. But if you don’t think Marshall wouldn’t have plenty of interest from a P5 OC or DC that doesn’t fit into the above category you are crazy.

Why do you think Luke Fickle went to Cincinnati, because of their deep football history? Of course not. Urban Myer coached at BG and Utah before they were P5. You honestly don’t think we are more attractive to a coordinator at a P5 than Bowling Green?

I would love to have a young gun OC that is looking for their first head coaching job, but I would also take a winner from the FCS ranks as well. They wouldn’t just have to be from a P5.
George Champ had been and assistant with the OSU Buckeyes, Tampa Bay Bucs, NFL, and a head coach at IUPU and then came to Marshall and got the job at the Naval Academy.

We can find talent.

What Sam is missing is we do have a good tradition, good fans, advantages over conference mates, and you can get a good job if you do well at Marshall. Or you can stay and be a legend.

What he is also missing is there are only so many D1 jobs! Guys want to be head coaches and guys want to move up the ladder(like Donnan and Chaump). Throw in Stan Parrish as well.

Reactions: caliherd
The idea that a “top P5 coordinator” would come here is laughable. It will be a I-AA HC or G5 coordinator.

Anything you post on here is laughable.

Go be a fan of Buffalo, they could use idiots like you who expect nothing from a head coach.

Legit question...

I disagree with coordinators because while being a HC is an upgrade, I don't think its going to be as well treated as a lower level HC moving up. But thats me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT