ADVERTISEMENT

Should have played WV in morgantown

Dude, by in large, wvu's fanbase earned a bad reputation, to the point that wasn't the previous University president issuing out statements asking fans to be nice to visitors? You may be just fine. Your friends who go with you may also be very kind, but the fanbase has earned the reputation for valid reason.

That's fine, but it is only profound to you because you share the same state and are a rival school. There are LOTS of examples of fan bases who act a fool. Google is a good resource for that. You'd be amazed at the amount of incidents that happen on a weekly basis, but they are not nationally profound.

Please tell me, why is any of this wvu talk garbage on a forum that is dedicated to Marshall? There used to be a smack site. I do hate how vicious it got, but it was entertaining, and, at least it kept wvu talk out of the main forum where people are supposed to discuss MARSHALL, or our opponents. I absolutely hate to come on here and see anything about wvu. Moderator, please contain anything regarding wvu to another board or just delete it.

Until there is a smack site, don't you think it would be necessary to have these discussions on regular threads, so it doesn't get so vanilla here that people stop coming back?

Without the branched off discussions, which is normal of course, the only thing entertaining would be SamC metaphorically jerking himself off and telling everyone about his thoughts on life.

Reactions: JCT1
Do you not find it ironic that you of all people are using the word obsession in reference to others? No one can mention WVU without you going off on a childish tirade.

Not at all. YOU are HERE.

Find me on a WVU board, and we can talk.

And, I repeat my challenge. Find ANY program in ANY OTHER state at the place to which the WVU non-alumni fan base aggrandizes WVU, and find any other program in the position to which, in their petty jealousy and ignorance it places MU, and find ONE post of the type you see here.

You will not. The WVU non-alumni obsession with us, their betters, is unique.

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan

And, I repeat my challenge. Find ANY program in ANY OTHER state at the place to which the WVU non-alumni fan base aggrandizes WVU, and find any other program in the position to which, in their petty jealousy and ignorance it places MU, and find ONE post of the type you see here.

You are the most full of shit person I have ever encountered, online or in real life. Congrats on winning 1st place

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

What can’t you understand when I state that I support Marshall? You go into extreme hyperbole about WVU and therefore cause more comments to be made about the Mountaineers. I want to see both WV D1 football programs thrive.

Reactions: sistersville
What can’t you understand when I state that I support Marshall? You go into extreme hyperbole about WVU and therefore cause more comments to be made about the Mountaineers. I want to see both WV D1 football programs thrive.

Well.. Sam's IQ is very low and so he really has no retort for being exposed... other than other mindless rants

Reactions: WVUtotheBig12
"I support both teams" is a silly cop out for fragile egos...
In no way do true rivals support one another.
I'm fairly certain Auburn fans aren't rooting for Bama to win the CFP.
Are Louisville fans cheering for UK?
I'm from VA and grew up a Tech fan and hoped UVA lost in the finals in spectacular fashion (they didn't), but nobody I knew as a Tech fan, was happy for them at all.

I'm from VA and grew up a Tech fan and hoped UVA lost in the finals in spectacular fashion (they didn't), but nobody I knew as a Tech fan, was happy for them at all.

Bullcrap... I know a LOT of people who support both teams. Maybe they have kids at each school.. maybe they attended both schools (I did!).. maybe they grew up a fan of one and ended up at the other school.

And get real- Marshall and WVU are not UK and Louisville or UVA and VT. Those schools actually play each other, are on the same stages, levels.. etc.

Marshall and WVU is more like Mississippi and Southern Miss... and to that effect- you CAN root for both.

Reactions: alpinisti
Sorry, that we have people who can't process you can like more than one team. I also like watching WVU, though I still have a sore spot after that 2010 game "Martinez fumble" I might have cried in the bleachers a little bit. I would love to see the game renewed, maybe if WVU finds it's way to the ACC in the future it would be more of possibility not having to play every opponent. ---WVU grad 2010, Marshall fan for life!

This is why there is so much animosity between the two fan bases. It IS actually possible to root for both. I attended Marshall in the Leftwich days, and what a blast those games were. The ECU game is still my favorite Marshall memory of all time, and quite frankly it's one of the greatest moment in college sports if you ask me.

Thank you both for your comments. I have several reasons for supporting Marshall in addition to my alma mater. I just wish there wasn’t so much animosity between the fan bases.

@Obialo1kanobe, that must have been awesome to be at each university during their era! It must have been great to witness both eras live.

Reactions: Obialo1kanobe

It is most certainly not Alabama and Auburn, and that is no slight to Marshall.

Bullcrap... I know a LOT of people who support both teams. Maybe they have kids at each school.. maybe they attended both schools (I did!).. maybe they grew up a fan of one and ended up at the other school.

And get real- Marshall and WVU are not UK and Louisville or UVA and VT. Those schools actually play each other, are on the same stages, levels.. etc.

Marshall and WVU is more like Mississippi and Southern Miss... and to that effect- you CAN root for both.

I can't believe a wvu fan actually made a logical comparison.

Reactions: Obialo1kanobe
I don’t root for WV because I don’t care about WV. Growing up I only remember one person in my small universe that was a WV supporter. Most folks around me were MU, UK, and OSU fans. I attended Marshall and Ohio State games starting at an early age and that’s who I liked.

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
I can't believe a wvu fan actually made a logical comparison.

Well since I am a fan of both it's actually a little easier... and for the record there are Marshall buffoons as well like SamC who would use the comparison of Rutgers and Boise... I think Miss and USM is fairly logcial- Miss has history as a few very high level seasons surrounded by the majority of them being Mediocre, and USM is a higher level G5 school, unlike an ODU, but not a Boise or a UCF.

Logical people see clearly

Reactions: alphasig1053
I don’t root for WV because I don’t care about WV. Growing up I only remember one person in my small universe that was a WV supporter. Most folks around me were MU, UK, and OSU fans. I attended Marshall and Ohio State games starting at an early age and that’s who I liked.

I am truly sorry you had to grow up rooting for Ohio State. Id rather shave my balls with sandpaper

I am truly sorry you had to grow up rooting for Ohio State. Id rather shave my balls with sandpaper

And I am truly sorry you had to grow up rooting for WV. I imagine you shave with sandpaper quite often, probably before yore weekly bath. :D

FACT: If you are a fan of both you are a fan of neither.

Since when did you start making rules of for other fans? I’ll be a fan of whatever teams I want to be. I don’t answer to you or anyone else. I’m sure the MU ticket office won’t turn away my money either.

Your accuracy in evaluation of MU and wvu sorta sputtered.
If not giving MU its deserved recognition as being a FBS school, then you should probably not give wvu the undeserved recognition as being a top tier program or even a big deal in the collegiate empire.
UK and Louisville are very much like wvu and MU.
UK didn't seem to care playing Louisville annually despite UK being in the prestigious SEC and Louisville being in the G5 and CUSA as well as an independent.
This was a renewed series in 1994 dating back to 1914...and has been competitive since.
Colorado seems to be fine with playing Colorado State every year as well.

As for kids being at each school? To each their own...I wouldn't cheer for wvu just because my kid went there...f*ck 'em. If the kid is an athlete? I'd root for my kid...not the school.

Its the same BS excuse "I cheer for Marshall except when they play wvu" which basically shows your true alliance lies with wvu...so commit to it. Its like WVians can't stand to lose and are the most fairweather people ever.
I get it, you have no pro sports teams and wvu being allowed on the same field as Texas give people hopeless optimism, but honestly, just pick a school and stick with it.

Not to mention...how much did the schools involve their legislature to allow for these rivalries to happen? UVA and VT did it. I'm pretty sure Kentucky was involved in making theirs happen. It actually has been a major part of plenty of in-state rivalries for them to happen.

WV is about the only state that actually made its state legislature against the games continuing. Yes, Manchin mandated it back in the day...but then everyone on the wvu (less on MU side because MU didn't have a presence) side complained about it and invented reasons against it.
Economic reasons? Really? First of all, WV shouldn't be lecturing anyone about economics.
Secondly, plenty of smaller in-state schools play their larger in state school rivals on annual rotating site basis'.
If economics were truly a factor, plenty of series' would end.
Is there a series that legitimately ended solely on the purpose that it wasn't economically beneficial?

Its also been the only state actively preventing MU from moving itself up in any way.
That last statement isn't just isolated in sports BTW.
Reality needs to set in that wvu doesn't actually believe it can maintain itself if it played MU every year. If they did, there'd be no reason against it happening.
It also needs to accept that it has absolutely bo respect for MU whereas any other schools have enough respect to recognize their rivals and in-state schools, regardless of level of competition and play them on an annual basis.

Only in WV will you see a school literally put effort into pretending the smaller in-state school does not exist.
Its also not like wvu has a long time ownership over MU. The series itself has existed since forever but...selectively playing at bad times for MU and good times for wvu isn't really something you want to brag about unless it fits the mold that wvu needs to mention said rivalry to shut up MU fans.

The world isn't going to end if MU beat wvu in football...and if wvu had continued the series from 1997 into today, it would have been proven.

Its also been the only state actively preventing MU from moving itself up in any way.
That last statement isn't just isolated in sports BTW.
Reality needs to set in that wvu doesn't actually believe it can maintain itself if it played MU every year. If they did, there'd be no reason against it happening.
It also needs to accept that it has absolutely bo respect for MU whereas any other schools have enough respect to recognize their rivals and in-state schools, regardless of level of competition and play them on an annual basis.

Only in WV will you see a school literally put effort into pretending the smaller in-state school does not exist.
Its also not like wvu has a long time ownership over MU. The series itself has existed since forever but...selectively playing at bad times for MU and good times for wvu isn't really something you want to brag about unless it fits the mold that wvu needs to mention said rivalry to shut up MU fans.

The world isn't going to end if MU beat wvu in football...and if wvu had continued the series from 1997 into today, it would have been proven.

The state of WV funds almost half of the MU athletic budget. How is it trying to keep Marshall from improving exactly?

Also, WVU played Marshall when The Herd has Moss and Pennington. Then in 2010, Marshall had someone that knew as much about the WVU schemes on offense and defense, personnel, and coaching tendencies as possible. Can you really say WVU only played MU when they knew they’d win?

The state of WV funds almost half of the MU athletic budget. How is it trying to keep Marshall from improving exactly?

Also, WVU played Marshall when The Herd has Moss and Pennington. Then in 2010, Marshall had someone that knew as much about the WVU schemes on offense and defense, personnel, and coaching tendencies as possible. Can you really say WVU only played MU when they knew they’d win?

Well I guess you selectively read what I wrote.
Its not just sports...
Med school.
Engineering school.
Pharmacy school.
Just about any program MU wanted to begin, wvu backed people either complained, didn't support it, or flat out rejected funding for it.
It never took wvu any efforts to make these programs happen where they are.
Saddest part is wvu's engineering school. Rather than start one up from scratch, they actively killed the funding for WV Tech's program and absorbed it into their own.

Do you think wvu was going to voice support for MU to join the Big East if MU ever got the invite? Big 12? Anywhere that can put MU on their level...in anything?

They played one time in 1997 with Moss and Pennington in their first game ever as FBS.
Do you honestly think wvu would have continued to win if they resumed the series from then on?
wvu would have been skullfu*ked in 1999 for sure. I also believe Leftwich would've beaten them at least twice. With Check Heater coaching the defense MU would steal a pair from Holgs as well. 2014 MU wins and beats a 7-6 wvu squad as well.
I'm not saying MU would dominate the series, but to say they absolutely would not win is beyond stupid but fitting for wvu fans regardless.
Of course the series resumed when MU was being hit with NCAA violations. Pruett jumped ship and we hired a moron to run MU's team.
While the rest of the conference actually has history amongst its teams and draw much more attention to their games, wvu can get excited for Delaware State, Youngstown State, etc.

Well I guess you selectively read what I wrote.
Its not just sports...
Med school.
Engineering school.
Pharmacy school.
Just about any program MU wanted to begin, wvu backed people either complained, didn't support it, or flat out rejected funding for it.
It never took wvu any efforts to make these programs happen where they are.
Saddest part is wvu's engineering school. Rather than start one up from scratch, they actively killed the funding for WV Tech's program and absorbed it into their own.

Do you think wvu was going to voice support for MU to join the Big East if MU ever got the invite? Big 12? Anywhere that can put MU on their level...in anything?

They played one time in 1997 with Moss and Pennington in their first game ever as FBS.
Do you honestly think wvu would have continued to win if they resumed the series from then on?
wvu would have been skullfu*ked in 1999 for sure. I also believe Leftwich would've beaten them at least twice. With Check Heater coaching the defense MU would steal a pair from Holgs as well. 2014 MU wins and beats a 7-6 wvu squad as well.
I'm not saying MU would dominate the series, but to say they absolutely would not win is beyond stupid but fitting for wvu fans regardless.
Of course the series resumed when MU was being hit with NCAA yviolations. Pruett jumped ship and we hired a moron to run MU's team.
While the rest of the conference actually has history amongst its teams and draw much more attention to their games, wvu can get excited for Delaware State, Youngstown State, etc.

Why do you have to belittle WVU, especially for the conference it is in? The Big 12 believed in WVU and backed that up with an invite over schools like UL, even with the geographic obstacles.

That 2014 WVU team beat a top 5 Baylor team and lost by 1 to a top 10 TCU game.

Among the tidbits in your ridiculous rant, this is the most preposterous. WVU started its College of Engineering (from scratch) in 1887.

Reactions: wvmoose
Since when did you start making rules of for other fans? I’ll be a fan of whatever teams I want to be. I don’t answer to you or anyone else. I’m sure the MU ticket office won’t turn away my money either.

I bet if the MU ticket office knew what a big bag of douche you were they would turn away your money. Stick with going to wvu games pal.

So you were proven wrong, and you follow it up with a immature reply. I wouldn’t expect anything else.

Isn't your team playing right now?! At this exact moment they are on TV and it's tied 14 - 14 with a good non-conference opponent, NC State, and you are on a Marshall Thundering Herd forum? What is your major malfunction numb-nuts? Must be a pretty boring game that you aren't totally involved in it.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Why is it always WVU’s fault? Why don’t you blame it on the fact that we have so many small, public institutions compared to our population that require funding? I want WVU to buy a few of them and set up a larger branch campus system.

I bet if the MU ticket office knew what a big bag of douche you were they would turn away your money. Stick with going to wvu games pal.

Like I said, I have more of a connection to Marshall football than you ever will. It wouldn’t surprise me if you don’t even attend any games and didn’t go to MU.

Isn't your team playing right now?! At this exact moment they are on TV and it's tied 14 - 14 with a good non-conference opponent, NC State, and you are on a Marshall Thundering Herd forum? What is your major malfunction numb-nuts? Must be a pretty boring game that you aren't totally involved in it.

Unlike simpletons such as yourself, I can multitask.

"I don't have a college degree...but I bleed blue an yeller!"
WVU offers B.S. degrees in 13 Engineering programs. (I have one of those.) WVU offers M.S. degrees in 15 Engineering programs. (I have one of those, also.) WVU offers Ph.D. degrees in 13 Engineering programs. (Yes. You guessed it. I have one of those as well.)

Why is it always WVU’s fault? Why don’t you blame it on the fact that we have so many small, public institutions compared to our population that require funding? I want WVU to buy a few of them and set up a larger branch campus system.

Like I said, I have more of a connection to Marshall football than you ever will. It wouldn’t surprise me if you don’t even attend any games and didn’t go to MU.

Clearly, you need to read the article.
Given ollie luck actually said something along the lines of, "wvu will look out for wvu" and with this happening...sorry to say your lovely little flagship is pure poison for WV as a whole.
I do agree that WV does need to reduce its higher education but not how they are doing it. Be honest and just flat out say "Not enough money and people. Cut the schools."
Instead they play best friend and would rather stab everyone in the back by cutting funding and influence.
I do love how you can't counter this. But yes, continue to place blame on everyone else.

For someone who claims so much alliance to MU, you sure enjoy crapping on them.

Sorry for the late posting. I was at the game. Saw Green grab the bell and ring that mother****er as loud as he could.

WVU offers B.S. degrees in 13 Engineering programs. (I have one of those.) WVU offers M.S. degrees in 15 Engineering programs. (I have one of those, also.) WVU offers Ph.D. degrees in 13 Engineering programs. (Yes. You guessed it. I have one of those as well.)

You have three degrees and none of them taught you that it’s incorrect to capitalize “engineering” like you repeatedly did.

You should give @dave one of your degrees since he can’t pass the test to become a real engineer.

Clearly, you need to read the article.
Given ollie luck actually said something along the lines of, "wvu will look out for wvu" and with this happening...sorry to say your lovely little flagship is pure poison for WV as a whole.
I do agree that WV does need to reduce its higher education but not how they are doing it. Be honest and just flat out say "Not enough money and people. Cut the schools."
Instead they play best friend and would rather stab everyone in the back by cutting funding and influence.
I do love how you can't counter this. But yes, continue to place blame on everyone else.

For someone who claims so much alliance to MU, you sure enjoy crapping on them.

Sorry for the late posting. I was at the game. Saw Green grab the bell and ring that mother****er as loud as he could.

What exactly would you like me to say? I’m not going to apologize that WVU gets the most priority and funding. However, I do believe that WVU and Marshall should take precedence as far as higher education state funding goes, and every effort should be made by the state legislature to accommodate both universities.

For example, Iowa is close enough to WV in terms of population. They have 3 public universities. I’m not saying there should be that few in our state, especially with the difficulty of travel around our state. The problem is which schools do you tell they are going to have to close?

Congrats on the win, sincerely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT