ADVERTISEMENT

SHR - Bowl matchup announcements

Absolutely, 100 percent, no questions asked.

No matter what you think of Duke's football program, it's one of the best universities in the country, with financial resources that we can only dream of. And its in the ACC, but there are reasonable expectations. I was reading their board some last night and they are thrilled to be 8-4 and getting ready for a bowl game. They dont expect to be Clemson, Bama or Georgia, they just want to play quality football to get them through the fall until basketball starts.
I agree with you.

I THINK the question at hand is whether or not Duke is “an incredibly well respected P5”, right?

With all due respect to @RhinoD - who is one of the best posters on HN - the answer for most college fans to that question is absolutely not.

Numbers don’t lie. Historically they’re one of the worst P5s in the nation.

From 1990 to 2007 Duke went 43-159.

Sure, David Cutcliffe had some nice years there but even his overall record was 77-99. In his last two years in Durham (2020 and 2021) Duke went 5-18 overall and 1-17 in the ACC.

Now, all of that said: has Duke had a nice bounce back this year under Elko? Yes.

Would they be a nice bowl opponent for us? Heck yes. Sign us up.

Would Coach Huff leave MU for Duke? You’re damn right he would.

All of those things can be true at the same time, methinks.
Don't forget the "old ball coach"

88883458.0.jpg

I THINK the question at hand is whether or not Duke is “an incredibly well respected P5”, right?

With all due respect to @RhinoD - who is one of the best posters on HN - the answer for most college fans to that question is absolutely not.

Numbers don’t lie. Historically they’re one of the worst P5s in the nation.

From 1990 to 2007 Duke went 43-159.

Sure, David Cutcliffe had some nice years there but even his overall record was 77-99. In his last two years in Durham (2020 and 2021) Duke went 5-18 overall and 1-17 in the ACC.

Now, all of that said: has Duke had a nice bounce back this year under Elko? Yes.

Would they be a nice bowl opponent for us? Heck yes. Sign us up.

Would Coach Huff leave MU for Duke? You’re damn right he would.

All of those things can be true at the same time, methinks.
Duke would be a fun bowl game. Didn't Huff interview for the Duke job last year that Elko got?

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Yeah he did have some decent years at Duke in the late 80s. 20-13 over three seasons.
Old Ball Coach tied for the ACC title at Duke and then landed the Florida job. I think the Duke bowl game would be pretty good one for Marshall.

I would like to play Boise State again .Good rematch ! Go Herd!

Well, you should get your wish if current HERD schedules hold up. Boise is set to make a return game appearance in Huntington in about 3 or 4 seasons or so1

Old Ball Coach tied for the ACC title at Duke and then landed the Florida job. I think the Duke bowl game would be pretty good one for Marshall.
100% agree. Duke or ECU are far and away the best matchups I’ve seen for us.

Spurrier was a character. He was a disaster in DC with the Redskins but man was he one hell of a college coach. We need more personalities like him coaching in cfb. Made things fun.

100% agree. Duke or ECU are far and away the best matchups I’ve seen for us.

Spurrier was a character. He was a disaster in DC with the Redskins but man was he one hell of a college coach. We need more personalities like him coaching in cfb. Made things fun.
Old Ball coach was a good one. Mike Leach is a hilarious. Good character. Kiffin in his own way.

Pruett was a good one for sure. He could win but he could work the crowd and had the community support.

Bob Green from Montana Tech gave some great interviews. hahahaa

I just saw a list( a bit older) than had Doc Holliday as their 8th moster personable coach in college football. Don't know how they arrived at that. Their summary was a guy from Hurricane with that name has to make the list. I think Doc was rather "stale".

UNLV? All I can think of is Jerry Takanian. Now they are #2 on the GPA list out there in Vegas. What are the odds of that?
Well, I'm sure there are many 4-6 or worse teams with better academics and many 6-6 and above with better academics who are either eliminated or in. I would bet UNLV isn't second best in APR overall nor is Rice #1.

Gerad Parker coached their Heisman qb a few years back. He is coaching tight ends at notre dame.Duke has been very decent the last 5 years. Fans outside of wv don't know as much as they think the do. Howdy greenduke!!!!!

Back to the original topic... Yahoo Sports has put together their "most likely" bowl projections based on a scenario where the current top 4 playoff teams hold serve this weekend and Buffalo wins their last game to get bowl eligible. New Mexico State has had their waiver granted since their cancelation was beyond their control, and they are eligible at 5-6.

They have us --

Myrtle Beach Bowl​

Monday, December 19, 2022
2:30, ESPN
Brooks Stadium, Conway, SC
Last Year: Tulsa 30, Old Dominion 17
Bowl Ties: C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt
Bowl Projection: Liberty vs Marshall
Previous Bowl Projection: Liberty vs Georgia Southern

The worst time slot in all of Bowl Season... Selfishly for me, I could go to the game which is nice since its not that far to drive.

Liberty would be a great matchup, one that the Flames would be favored in. Really wish the SBC would have gone after Liberty. I know many on this forum don't like Liberty due to their religion and all, but I like them. They have decent programs in most sports, and probably would have dominated the conference.

Liberty would be a great matchup, one that the Flames would be favored in. Really wish the SBC would have gone after Liberty. I know many on this forum don't like Liberty due to their religion and all, but I like them. They have decent programs in most sports, and probably would have dominated the conference.
Last year they may have dominated in the SBC... They are not good this year... Lost their last 3 including a 35-point drubbing by New Mexico State last week.

Back to the original topic... Yahoo Sports has put together their "most likely" bowl projections based on a scenario where the current top 4 playoff teams hold serve this weekend and Buffalo wins their last game to get bowl eligible. New Mexico State has had their waiver granted since their cancelation was beyond their control, and they are eligible at 5-6.

They have us --

Myrtle Beach Bowl​

Monday, December 19, 2022
2:30, ESPN
Brooks Stadium, Conway, SC
Last Year: Tulsa 30, Old Dominion 17
Bowl Ties: C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt
Bowl Projection: Liberty vs Marshall
Previous Bowl Projection: Liberty vs Georgia Southern

The worst time slot in all of Bowl Season... Selfishly for me, I could go to the game which is nice since its not that far to drive.
I think you have identified my biggest issue with the MBB -- Monday before Christmas at 2:30p -- ugh. The opponent would have to be "sexy" to overcome a bad time slot. And if ESPN is orchestrating a better matchup for MU (b/c of brand quality etc), you have to believe that a prime-time slot during that week or the next would be a better option.

I think you have identified my biggest issue with the MBB -- Monday before Christmas at 2:30p -- ugh. The opponent would have to be "sexy" to overcome a bad time slot. And if ESPN is orchestrating a better matchup for MU (b/c of brand quality etc), you have to believe that a prime-time slot during that week or the next would be a better option.
Agreed... And the thing that drives me nuts about the time slot, is its the only bowl game that day.

I realize ESPN doesn't want to interfere with Monday night football and the pregame show. So put the Myrtle Beach Bowl on ESPN2 and play it at 4:30 p.m. Then it leads right into Monday Night Football for the folks who dont give a crap about watching 5 analysts talk about NFL games for an hour and a half.

Sell it as a college/pro double header essentially.

Agreed... And the thing that drives me nuts about the time slot, is its the only bowl game that day.

I realize ESPN doesn't want to interfere with Monday night football and the pregame show. So put the Myrtle Beach Bowl on ESPN2 and play it at 4:30 p.m. Then it leads right into Monday Night Football for the folks who dont give a crap about watching 5 analysts talk about NFL games for an hour and a half.

Sell it as a college/pro double header essentially.
With as much control as they exert over the silly season, makes you wonder WHY they don't do something akin to the college/pro double dip. I'm sure they have reasons - but we don't get paid enough to work those out on this side. :)

Seems the MB is a letdown based on how hard these kids worked and how well they played the month of November. They deserve better. Just my opinion

Interesting note I just read... Missouri is reportedly refusing to play Kansas in a bowl game. No idea why, but they have told bowl reps they will not play Kansas. Lol.

I've never heard of a team publicly saying they won't play an opponent in a bowl. Maybe we should tell bowl reps we won't play teams from the MAC or current CUSA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT