ADVERTISEMENT

SHR - Bowl matchup announcements

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
The first two bowl games have been confirmed today, due to the travel logistics associated with the host sites.

Bahamas Bowl -- UAB vs. Miami OH
Hawaii Bowl -- Middle Tennessee vs. San Diego State

I saw where one outfit had Marshall playing Coastal Carolina in a bowl. Somebody didn't do their homework.
I saw that too... One of the guys at ESPN apparently forgot we joined the SBC.

I've also seen Marshall projected --

Yahoo Sports -- Gasparilla Bowl vs. Duke ---- This would be the home run spot for us. Great recruiting location, good time slot on the Friday before Christmas, beatable yet incredibly well respected P5 opponent.

Lending Tree Bowl (three times) once vs. Ohio and twice vs. Buffalo
Myrtle Beach Bowl vs. Ohio
Cure Bowl vs. UConn

My prediction: Myrtle Beach Bowl
Not sure who we'll play, but we'll be in Myrtle

My prediction: Myrtle Beach Bowl
Not sure who we'll play, but we'll be in Myrtle
The only reason I disagree would be because of ESPN... All they care about is TV viewers, and that game has the worst possible time slot of any bowl. Marshall will draw more eyes than most G5 programs, so I think ESPN will look to put us on a Friday after 5 p.m. or on a Saturday.

That is why the Lending Tree Bowl makes a ton of sense... Its a Saturday at 4:30 p.m.

I think Myrtle Beach gets Georgia Southern (the last pick from the SBC) and one of the non-championship MAC teams -- Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Bowling Green

The only reason I disagree would be because of ESPN... All they care about is TV viewers, and that game has the worst possible time slot of any bowl. Marshall will draw more eyes than most G5 programs, so I think ESPN will look to put us on a Friday after 5 p.m. or on a Saturday.

That is why the Lending Tree Bowl makes a ton of sense... Its a Saturday at 4:30 p.m.

I think Myrtle Beach gets Georgia Southern (the last pick from the SBC) and one of the non-championship MAC teams -- Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Bowling Green
Good points. We'll see ;-)

Yahoo Sports -- Gasparilla Bowl vs. Duke ---- This would be the home run spot for us. Great recruiting location, good time slot on the Friday before Christmas, beatable yet incredibly well respected P5 opponent.

Cure Bowl vs. UConn
Duke is not well respected at least not in football

Cure Bowl vs. UConn
I saw the Lending Tree Bowl vs Toledump along with the MBB and Cure Bowl you listed.

I like bowl games where the matchups are between two teams that have never played one another. Playing a MAC team or C Carolina doesn’t excite me much.
It is what it is. We're more than likely going to always get another G5 opponent. The downfall of playing in three different conferences like we have, it makes it tough to draw a unique opponent. These games are usually chosen regionally and trying to maximize attendance. They're usually a reward to the players which is why we have played in Florida bowls so much so most of the families could attend.

I wouldn't be shocked if we find ourselves in the MBB more often than not. Considering the amount of alumni in that area and how it's a basically a second home for most West Virginians.

Reactions: Jartard
I think you're confusing success with respect... I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Duke football. They have a quality program, at least since Cutcliffe took over and now with Mike Elko, and are one of the nation's premiere universities.

Reactions: Sistersviille
I think you're confusing success with respect... I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Duke football. They have a quality program, at least since Cutcliffe took over and now with Mike Elko, and are one of the nation's premiere universities.
Of the teams I've seen mentioned, Duke would be the most formidable opponent, and also a P5 program with a decent sized fanbase (with money). They're also having a decent year. I believe they're also 8-4.

You never hear anyone say a bad word about Duke football because no one thinks about Duke football. When people think Duke they think basketball.

What do you honestly think people think when they hear Marshall? I know the answer.
Has nothing to do with Duke. Duke's football program is irrelevant. Just because you can point to another program that is also irrelevant doesn't change anything. They are not an "incredibly well respected" football program. Us playing/beating Duke would not elevate us all that much.

Not saying I don't want to play them. I would just for the P5 opponent, but it's not even in the same area code as beating Notre Dame.

What do you honestly think people think when they hear Marshall? I know the answer.
I live in SEC/ACC country in South Carolina, everyone I work with would say Marshall is a great program, all the Clemson and SC fans I know have never said anything negative — all respect. Know what they all say after the feel goods about MU? How shitty WVU is and the fans and the neighbors they now have with WVU flags are obnoxious.

Has nothing to do with Duke. Duke's football program is irrelevant. Just because you can point to another program that is also irrelevant doesn't change anything. They are not an "incredibly well respected" football program. Us playing/beating Duke would not elevate us all that much.

Not saying I don't want to play them. I would just for the P5 opponent, but it's not even in the same area code as beating Notre Dame.
Wrong. Kate Mara was the correct answer.

I live in SEC/ACC country in South Carolina, everyone I work with would say Marshall is a great program, all the Clemson and SC fans I know have never said anything negative — all respect. Know what they all say after the feel goods about MU? How shitty WVU is and the fans and the neighbors they now have with WVU flags are obnoxious.
When you live out of state, and everybody you know says good things about your team, then you know you're irrelevant. If they talk crap about you, then you know you're the shit. Go to Georgia, and listen to them talk crap about Alabama.

Among sports fans, outside of WV:

10% have no clue and think we are in Marshall, TX or Marshall, MN
40% the events of 11/14 or the movie made there on.
10% the BP era/Randy Moss.
20% are just nerds and can tell you the nickname, colors, and location of any school you name.
10% based on a specific game where we played their team well (Clemson, USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, NC State, etc)
10% actual basic knowledge of our current program, the SBC, and so on.

Reactions: RhinoD
Wrong. Kate Mara was the correct answer.
Say my name
OIP.-FtesNvsD0LUgXPez421LAHaFj

Reactions: marshallsig

20% are just nerds and can tell you the nickname, colors, and location of any school you name.
10% based on a specific game where we played their team well (Clemson, USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, NC State, etc)
Probably spot on. You believe what you are programmed to believe. I have some acquaintances in the northeast who believe West Virginia is exactly like that horror movie Wrong Turn.
I tell my friends they are correct. I certainly don’t want any more liberal Yankees coming here to live and messing up a good thing.

Last edited:

I would add that this is dependent on the location of the random person you ask... Down here in Western North Carolina, a lot of people at least have some basic knowledge of Marshall due to being in close proximity to App State and other current/former SoCon teams. When I wear my Marshall shirts, hats, etc I get a lot of "Did you go to Marshall?" followed by "I remember when we played you guys back in ____"

I would add that this is dependent on the location of the random person you ask... Down here in Western North Carolina, a lot of people at least have some basic knowledge of Marshall due to being in close proximity to App State and other current/former SoCon teams. When I wear my Marshall shirts, hats, etc I get a lot of "Did you go to Marshall?" followed by "I remember when we played you guys back in ____"
Same thing in Eastern Carolina, on my move here I was surprised how knowledgeable many folks here were about Marshall. ECU obviously plays apart in that.

You never hear anyone say a bad word about Duke football because no one thinks about Duke football. When people think Duke they think basketball.
Duke is the best game I see listed for us. Duke is a quality and tough opponent for Marshall.

We would have our hand absolutely full.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Duke 7 ACC Championships in Football
UNC 5 ACC Chamipionships in Football
NC State 7 ACC Championships in Football

I have no dog in the fight, but.......

NC State and UNC have cheated us in football. We might as well give Duke a chance to.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Duke has One ACC title in football since 1962. 1989….
Would Marshall's coach leave for the job at Duke? I am not even a Duke fan but, sometimes we overinflate where we stand. Wouldn't we much rather play ACC team that Ohio? Or NM State? Hell if we want s to play Ohio then schedule the game with them. They are 90 miles up the road from Huntington.

Last edited:
Would Marshall's coach leave for the job at Duke?
Absolutely, 100 percent, no questions asked.

No matter what you think of Duke's football program, it's one of the best universities in the country, with financial resources that we can only dream of. And its in the ACC, but there are reasonable expectations. I was reading their board some last night and they are thrilled to be 8-4 and getting ready for a bowl game. They dont expect to be Clemson, Bama or Georgia, they just want to play quality football to get them through the fall until basketball starts.

I THINK the question at hand is whether or not Duke is “an incredibly well respected P5”, right?

With all due respect to @RhinoD - who is one of the best posters on HN - the answer for most college fans to that question is absolutely not.

Numbers don’t lie. Historically they’re one of the worst P5s in the nation.

From 1990 to 2007 Duke went 43-159.

Sure, David Cutcliffe had some nice years there but even his overall record was 77-99. In his last two years in Durham (2020 and 2021) Duke went 5-18 overall and 1-17 in the ACC.

Now, all of that said: has Duke had a nice bounce back this year under Elko? Yes.

Would they be a nice bowl opponent for us? Heck yes. Sign us up.

Would Coach Huff leave MU for Duke? You’re damn right he would.

All of those things can be true at the same time, methinks.

NM State is 5-6 as it had a game at San Jose State cancelled due to a shooting. It has an appeal in with the NCAA to be treated as a 6-6 team, but that would exclude 5-7 Auburn from bowl consideration (they need 3 5-7 teams to fill up the schedule, 5-7 teams go based on academic progress rate). We all know ESPN is really running things and would want Auburn.

NM State this morning signed up I-AA Valparaiso for a game on Saturday, which would get them to 6-6, but since it is a second I-AA game, still not bowl eligible. They had asked Virginia Tech to play, which also was short one game due to a shooting, but they declined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT