ADVERTISEMENT

Sinclair to buy 21 regional sports networks from Disney

• Thread starter anon_0314hp8ssprnn
  • Start date
I wonder how much the fee will increase for DirecTV subscribers to keep the regional sports channel package?

I wonder how much the fee will increase for DirecTV subscribers to keep the regional sports channel package?

None, at least in the short term, as these were sold subject to long term carriage agreements with DirecTV, and every other provider. For the average consumer, this is just another name change of a group of stations that have changed hands and names plenty of times in the past. In the longer term, there is no particular reason to believe that the new owners will be any more or less profit motivated than any previous ones.

I wonder if any Marshall games will be on the regional stations.

Not one. CUSA has contracts with Stadium, CBSSN, and ESPN3/ESPN+. The era of producing a game and tossing it up on some random RSN for "exposure" has been over for a long time.

They don't get political in the sports product, but damn the local news on WCHS is garbage anymore. Seems like 80% of the content is about national stories with a heavy conservative skew. Maybe most of the old folks watching (i.e. people who still use local broadcast news as their primary news source) tune in for that crap, but all I want is information about the shooting on the West Side and a cute story about a local church restoring a community park.

If there was a news organization that called itself the Anti-Septic News Network, and all it gave me was cold, clinical recounts of things that happen in the world - real things, not what an Instagram Influencer said about a supreme court ruling, or what the President tweeted about the Kentucky Derby - I would pay $200 a month for it. I want to jump off a bridge most days because I am convinced my fellow humans are all f---ing idiots.

The three local news outlets in this area, IMHO:

13. News. "Lets go to our crack 21 year old reporterete who will tell us how the power elite who have always run this state are doing a great job; then we will go one of our sister stations who will tell us about how some hick up some holler in some county none of you have ever visited has a pothole; and remember, if it happens west of Nitro, we don't care." Sports. "Today, Johnny Twostar, who turned down Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Astronaut School, and being Commendant of the Marine Corps to play for our beloved Mountaineers, got his toenails clipped and had three slices of toast with his breakfast."

8/11. News. "Today, on the west side of Charleston, some life welfarist shot some other life welfarist; and remember, if it happens west of Dunbar, we don't care." Sports. "Yesterday, some high school 99.9% of you did not attend beat some other high school 99.9% of you did not attend; and today, some random WV state college will play some other random WV state college, a crowd of nearly 50 is expected."

3. News. "Here is what happened today in the three state region we serve." Sports "Here is what is important about sports today, covering Marshall, Ohio, Ohio State, UK, WVU and other local sporting events and teams in proportion to their actual popularity and importance. Go Herd."

Which is why, since ratings have been taken, WSAZ has never gotten less than twice the other stations, combined.

None, at least in the short term, as these were sold subject to long term carriage agreements with DirecTV, and every other provider. For the average consumer, this is just another name change of a group of stations that have changed hands and names plenty of times in the past. In the longer term, there is no particular reason to believe that the new owners will be any more or less profit motivated than any previous ones.

Not one. CUSA has contracts with Stadium, CBSSN, and ESPN3/ESPN+. The era of producing a game and tossing it up on some random RSN for "exposure" has been over for a long time.

Stadium is owned by Sinclair and Sinclair now owns many of the RSNs. As a result, Stadium content is now readily available for the RSNs.

Stadium is owned by Sinclair and Sinclair now owns many of the RSNs. As a result, Stadium content is now readily available for the RSNs.

Actually, the deal between Disney and Sinclair to buy the Fox Sports Net will not even be final until late summer, and zero Stadium content is "now readily available" on any RSN. Stadium, further, is only majority owned by Sinclair, with other partners who have ownership of most of the content.

And the few veteran television reporters left in the area are walking on a thin line. :(

HUNTINGTON – A former WCHS-TV and WVAH-TV meteorologist is suing the stations and their parent company, claiming he was fired because of his age.

Jim Barach filed his complaint Nov. 1 in Cabell Circuit Court against the stations and Sinclair Media III Inc, which is based in Maryland.

https://wvrecord.com/stories/511653...cuses-stations-sinclair-of-age-discrimination

The three local news outlets in this area, IMHO:

13. News. "Lets go to our crack 21 year old reporterete who will tell us how the power elite who have always run this state are doing a great job; then we will go one of our sister stations who will tell us about how some hick up some holler in some county none of you have ever visited has a pothole; and remember, if it happens west of Nitro, we don't care." Sports. "Today, Johnny Twostar, who turned down Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Astronaut School, and being Commendant of the Marine Corps to play for our beloved Mountaineers, got his toenails clipped and had three slices of toast with his breakfast."

8/11. News. "Today, on the west side of Charleston, some life welfarist shot some other life welfarist; and remember, if it happens west of Dunbar, we don't care." Sports. "Yesterday, some high school 99.9% of you did not attend beat some other high school 99.9% of you did not attend; and today, some random WV state college will play some other random WV state college, a crowd of nearly 50 is expected."

3. News. "Here is what happened today in the three state region we serve." Sports "Here is what is important about sports today, covering Marshall, Ohio, Ohio State, UK, WVU and other local sporting events and teams in proportion to their actual popularity and importance. Go Herd."

Which is why, since ratings have been taken, WSAZ has never gotten less than twice the other stations, combined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT