ADVERTISEMENT

Thank Goodness Disney Has Taken The Gloves Off

From Ashes To Glory 2

Green Buffalo
Apr 25, 2015
Hopefully this lawsuit will drag on throughout the 2024 campaign.

After months of battling with the likely GOP presidential contender and his personally appointed board over jurisdiction and control of Orlando-based Walt Disney World and its now-besieged special district status, the House of Mouse today took the white gloves off and sued the governor in federal court.

“Disney regrets that it has come to this,” the company said in its complaint (read it here). “But having exhausted efforts to seek a resolution, the company is left with no choice but to file this lawsuit to protect its cast members, guests, and local development partners from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain state officials.”

[...]

Last edited:
Ron desantis isn’t the reason Disney is laying off thousands of employees. Now with that said this entire episode is embarrassing for both sides. Disneys job is to entertain. Florida legislature got butt hurt and overplayed their hand

Never pictured you a corporatist, FAG2. Let alone someone who supports Disney’s business practices

Hopefully this lawsuit will drag on throughout the 2024 campaign.

After months of battling with the likely GOP presidential contender and his personally appointed board over jurisdiction and control of Orlando-based Walt Disney World and its now-besieged special district status, the House of Mouse today took the white gloves off and sued the governor in federal court.

“Disney regrets that it has come to this,” the company said in its complaint (read it here). “But having exhausted efforts to seek a resolution, the company is left with no choice but to file this lawsuit to protect its cast members, guests, and local development partners from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain state officials.”

[...]

LOLZ, keep wishing in one hand and @GeauxHerd will be more than happy to shit in the other.

I'll give you a hint as to which one will get filled first. Geaux has a disgusting diet and always carries around a jug full of miralax.

I like Disney. No secret. They have pissed me off. But, their deal with Florida was getting dated. That whole free tax thing and their whole govt was really outdated as Florida has grown.

Now, Disney did some stupid stuff and the whole gay thing and woke crap was stupid. They were family based and families were spending zillions of dollars there. I have contributed. Don't know why they did some of the stuff they did.

But, I think the fight with Florida is really about that self governance thing and Florida is looking for a way out of it.

Reactions: KyMUfan and Jartard
So the OP favors allowing corporations to operate like Indian Reservations and self govern? Interesting.
You assume that was the motivation behind the move. He nonetheless is on record numerous times, expressing what his motivations are in moving against Disney .... and that is solely as punishment for Disney exercising its First Amendment rights of political speech. Kinda weird how the Citizens United SCOTUS decision is playing out in this matter. lol

He got schooled recently by Disney out in the open (see Rule Against Perpetuities), and he'll get schooled again. Poor ol' Puddin' Fingers. lol

You assume that was the motivation behind the move. He nonetheless is on record numerous times, expressing what his motivations are in moving against Disney .... and that is solely as punishment for Disney exercising its First Amendment rights of political speech. Kinda weird how the Citizens United SCOTUS decision is playing out in this matter. lol

He got schooled recently by Disney out in the open (see Rule Against Perpetuities), and he'll get schooled again. Poor ol' Puddin' Fingers. lol
Never figured you as a fan of the Citizen’s United ruling. Ashes didn’t leave the democrat party, the democrat party left him

Reactions: 19MU88
LOLZ, keep wishing in one hand and @GeauxHerd will be more than happy to shit in the other.

I'll give you a hint as to which one will get filled first. Geaux has a disgusting diet and always carries around a jug full of miralax.
Considering he got schooled recently by Disney, I think you'd get filled by all kinds of stuff. He's as sharp as a butter knife apparently.

Disney's Lawyers Are Better Than Ron DeSantis's Lawyers​

The Magical World Of The Rule Against Perpetuities.​

By JOE PATRICE
onMarch 29, 2023 at 5:52 PM

Ron DeSantis tried to score political points by declaring war on Disney. The House of Mouse had become a popular right-wing punching bag for trying to keep cruise guests from dying and acknowledging that gay people are real.

2024 GOP hopefuls worked to find ways to exact legislative revenge on the company, but the Florida governor found a more direct avenue for retaliation. DeSantis would terminate the state’s agreements giving the company functional oversight of the land surrounding Walt Disney World via the Reedy Creek Improvement District. A hand-picked board of DeSantis cronies would take over the Reedy Creek board and thus control a lot of the land around the park and, presumably, really put the screws to Disney for the sin of being the state’s primary tourist attraction.

But Disney’s lawyers are smarter:

The board announced that a hired special council [sic] discovered agreements were made in February between Disney and Reedy Creek, weeks ahead of the signing of HB-9B, which handed over direct control of the district’s development rights and privileges to the company.
Board member Ron Peri’s said the group of five that Gov. Ron DeSantis appointed to take control of Disney’s “corporate kingdom” has very little power to govern.

The agreements even make the new board get Disney’s permission before trying to do anything! Sometimes it’s awesome to behold lawyers at work.

As it turns out, seizing control of a lawfully constituted board doesn’t turn on a dime and while DeSantis talked up his plan to the fawning right-wing press, the old board continued entering agreements in the best interest of the area it oversaw. And the best interest of the area involved tying up the land in concrete agreements benefiting the company that drives all economic growth in the area and not the current governor’s polling in Iowa. Tying them up as long as the Rule Against Perpetuities will allow!

[...]

Considering he got schooled recently by Disney, I think you'd get filled by all kinds of stuff. He's as sharp as a butter knife apparently.

Disney's Lawyers Are Better Than Ron DeSantis's Lawyers​

The Magical World Of The Rule Against Perpetuities.​

By JOE PATRICE
onMarch 29, 2023 at 5:52 PM

Ron DeSantis tried to score political points by declaring war on Disney. The House of Mouse had become a popular right-wing punching bag for trying to keep cruise guests from dying and acknowledging that gay people are real.

2024 GOP hopefuls worked to find ways to exact legislative revenge on the company, but the Florida governor found a more direct avenue for retaliation. DeSantis would terminate the state’s agreements giving the company functional oversight of the land surrounding Walt Disney World via the Reedy Creek Improvement District. A hand-picked board of DeSantis cronies would take over the Reedy Creek board and thus control a lot of the land around the park and, presumably, really put the screws to Disney for the sin of being the state’s primary tourist attraction.

But Disney’s lawyers are smarter:

The agreements even make the new board get Disney’s permission before trying to do anything! Sometimes it’s awesome to behold lawyers at work.

As it turns out, seizing control of a lawfully constituted board doesn’t turn on a dime and while DeSantis talked up his plan to the fawning right-wing press, the old board continued entering agreements in the best interest of the area it oversaw. And the best interest of the area involved tying up the land in concrete agreements benefiting the company that drives all economic growth in the area and not the current governor’s polling in Iowa. Tying them up as long as the Rule Against Perpetuities will allow!

[...]

Go corporations go!

Never figured you as a fan of the Citizen’s United ruling. Ashes didn’t leave the democrat party, the democrat party left him
Nope, I'm actually against both Citizen's United and the arbitrary and capricious use of state power .... it's just I disfavor the more immediate abuse of state power more.

Disney will suffer in the long run.

White conservatives spend thr money st disney in Florida

To me this is one of those “right things for the wrong reasons” deals where yeah, why does Disney get to operate as a quasi-government? But also the fundamental problems with that aren’t why it’s being attacked. There’s apparently 1800 special districts in Florida with varying levels of local power. Maybe that is the best way to run things, I don’t know.

I can remember when leftists on here were calling for churches that openly supported right-wing politicians to be taxed. Funny how people tend to shift their perspective when the shoe is on the other foot.

I can remember when leftists on here were calling for churches that openly supported right-wing politicians to be taxed. Funny how people tend to shift their perspective when the shoe is on the other foot.
Well, Disney is taxed, and churches that openly support politicians by law lose their tax exemption, don’t they?

Well, Disney is taxed, and churches that openly support politicians by law lose their tax exemption, don’t they?
Churches receive special tax status because the government allows them to. If they become involved in politics they can lose that status.

Disney received special tax status because Florida gave it to them. They stuck their nose in politics and into issues that they have no stake in. Because of that, they are in danger of losing their special tax status.

Churches receive special tax status because the government allows them to. If they become involved in politics they can lose that status.

Disney received special tax status because Florida gave it to them. They stuck their nose in politics and into issues that they have no stake in. Because of that, they are in danger of losing their special tax status.
That’s an incredibly disingenuous comparison. Churches “special tax status” is that they don’t have to pay taxes. Disney’s is that they’re allowed to run their own fire department, approve their own construction, and for some reason they’re allowed to make a nuclear plant but never did.

Strip them both, sure, but there’s no comparison between the two situations.

If gubment went after churches who engaged in politics, it wouldn’t be one sided. Democrats love to speak out of one side of their mouth about the separation of church & state while actively getting into the actual pulpit. For the record, I'm not against political figures attending church or even addressing members of a church in a setting outside of the service.

webRNS-Senators-Preachers1-052318-3626592.jpg

gettyimages-1228329815_wide-f0e79445d9cbeddcae025e96ab5b85a0bec676a3.jpg

f638be7e-823f-4284-807e-18bd24b3b21a-large16x9_AP19335580318103.jpg

Reactions: ThunderCat98
If gubment went after churches who engaged in politics, it wouldn’t be one sided. Democrats love to speak out of one side of their mouth about the separation of church & state while actively getting into the actual pulpit. For the record, I'm not against political figures attending church or even addressing members of a church in a setting outside of the service.

Oh tax them too, sure. I’d like to see all churches held to the same standard as any other non-profit. I know it’ll never happen, of course.

Reactions: WVUSerg

Hilarious, seeing these fake ass politicians in church, pandering for votes. Elizabeth Warren's life must suck, never being able to be herself, if she even knows these days who or what that is.

Hilarious, seeing these fake ass politicians in church, pandering for votes. Elizabeth Warren's life must suck, never being able to be herself, if she even knows these days who or what that is.
I believe the closest Indian reservation to her are in Maine. Possibly New York. She’d have to go out of state

Reactions: SamSwimmer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT