ADVERTISEMENT

Smock on changes coming to football program

N8bnaAMk.jpg

I hope he is right.If all of these guys in the pipeline are good we will be alright. Otherwise it might get ugly. Still curious what the staff changes will be

This it the most positive Marshall football news I have read in weeks. I'm fully behind Holliday and Shamrock after this report.

Very happy with the article - let's see if any action is taken. At least he said the QB spot was going to be an open competition and coaching changes were coming.

Ready WAY into this, but could it be with the juco signings on defense that Doc feels like it was a talent gap on defense and coaching and player attitude on offense?

Good news. I'll give him a chance to fix it in 2017. I hope he can. He has a lot of holes to plug. Come on Morrell, Gaines, White!!!!

I know for a fact that Dr. Gilbert was 'invited' to the Greenbrier to have a 'chat' with our Governor-Elect. Justice was blunt in saying that he wanted Hamrick and Holliday fired. While the MU administration is part of the problem with all of their secrets, what a low-class move by Justice! In any way, let's just hope that this will light the fire to get better.

I know for a fact that Dr. Gilbert was 'invited' to the Greenbrier to have a 'chat' with our Governor-Elect. Justice was blunt in saying that he wanted Hamrick and Holliday fired. While the MU administration is part of the problem with all of their secrets, what a low-class move by Justice! In any way, let's just hope that this will light the fire to get better.

Well since it is in a newspaper article this morning. It is clear Justice met with Gilbert. How is that low class. That is called politics and making a point. Clean you stuff up. Doesn't look like Doc or Hamriick are going anywhere yet so, maybe it was get on the B Plan. B Good or B Good. You know a Clearr F'ing Message that needed to be sent.

I read the part about donors stepping up to "help" with their money, and I'm immediately reminded why I hate college athletics. If money, resources and facilities automatically translated to program quality, Marshall athletics would be better than they've ever been.

For a decade we were told that the only thing keeping us from competing for championships every year was not having an IPF. Now we have one, and a weight room, and a hall of fame, and a sports medicine facility, and an athletes-only study hall....and the football team was 3-9 against some of the weakest teams with the least resources in Division I. The problem isn't resources.

Well since it is in a newspaper article this morning. It is clear Justice met with Gilbert. How is that low class. That is called politics and making a point. Clean you stuff up. Doesn't look like Doc or Hamriick are going anywhere yet so, maybe it was get on the B Plan. B Good or B Good. You know a Clearr F'ing Message that needed to be sent.
I apologize I did not see this in a newspaper article. Which one? I think it is low class because he's the governor-elect of our state and telling other people how to do their job at a university is bullying and trying o throw your weight around to get your way. I'm not defending Hamrick, Holliday, or whatever. I've always been a believer that Doc can't coach but this is ridiculous. Exactly why I'm not a supporter of Justice.

If Jimmy Justice wanted MH and/or DH fired, they would already be fired. Marshall is so woefully underfunded and restricted by legislative (WVU) actions, we are in no position to refuse any "request" he might make.

If Jimmy Justice wanted MH and/or DH fired, they would already be fired. Marshall is so woefully underfunded and restricted by legislative (WVU) actions, we are in no position to refuse any "request" he might make.

they're in a position to say no because it'd be unethical and possible illegal (i'm no legal scholar) if the governor-elect offered his own personal money to fire state employees, who will work for him in less than a month.

they're in a position to say no because it'd be unethical and possible illegal (i'm no legal scholar) if the governor-elect offered his own personal money to fire state employees, who will work for him in less than a month.

If he wanted them gone right now they would be gone. I am just guessing but I think he told MU President they need to get on the ball.

Justice is the new boss. You don't think Obama or Trump when they got elected were doing the same thing right before they went into office?

I apologize I did not see this in a newspaper article. Which one? I think it is low class because he's the governor-elect of our state and telling other people how to do their job at a university is bullying and trying o throw your weight around to get your way. I'm not defending Hamrick, Holliday, or whatever. I've always been a believer that Doc can't coach but this is ridiculous. Exactly why I'm not a supporter of Justice.

Here is the article

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_b91928be-392f-5e44-a0d9-3edaca49847f.html

"Well, you know, right now, Marshall's got some real issues athletically, and we've got to get that back on balance first and foremost," he said.

If he wanted them gone right now they would be gone. I am just guessing but I think he told MU President they need to get on the ball.

Justice is the new boss. You don't think Obama or Trump when they got elected were doing the same thing right before they went into office?

ok, i'm just saying there would be serious ethics issues and possibly legal issues with the chief executive of the state using his personal money to fire any state employee. i'm sure mitch carmichael and the rest of the republicans in the state legislature would love to start out justice's tenure as governor with public hearings on the ethics and possible law breaking of the "democratic" governor.

anyway, for the above reasons i listed for once justice doesn't hold all the power over marshall/dr. gilbert.

Athletic department employees are not covered by either general state civil service rules or college tenure rules. Any employee of any state athletic department can be fired without any legal issues whatsoever. Even the buyouts and long term contracts are granted not by the university (since no state contract can run beyond one term of the Legislature) but by booster club money (or insurance bought with booster club money). MU could give Doc 30 seconds to vacate the building at any time (not that I favor that, but there is no legal issue there).

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I read the part about donors stepping up to "help" with their money, and I'm immediately reminded why I hate college athletics. If money, resources and facilities automatically translated to program quality, Marshall athletics would be better than they've ever been.

For a decade we were told that the only thing keeping us from competing for championships every year was not having an IPF. Now we have one, and a weight room, and a hall of fame, and a sports medicine facility, and an athletes-only study hall....and the football team was 3-9 against some of the weakest teams with the least resources in Division I. The problem isn't resources.

this x1,000

what kind of financial support and resources did the '96 team have compared to this year?

one thing is for sure, the '96 team would have beaten this team worse than they beat Montana in the NC...

this x1,000

what kind of financial support and resources did the '96 team have compared to this year?

one thing is for sure, the '96 team would have beaten this team worse than they beat Montana in the NC...

I am not sure this years team would beat any MU team from 1991 until 2016.

Athletic department employees are not covered by either general state civil service rules or college tenure rules. Any employee of any state athletic department can be fired without any legal issues whatsoever. Even the buyouts and long term contracts are granted not by the university (since no state contract can run beyond one term of the Legislature) but by booster club money (or insurance bought with booster club money). MU could give Doc 30 seconds to vacate the building at any time (not that I favor that, but there is no legal issue there).

he's covered as every other non-classified state employee.

also, a significant number of our athletic department employees are classified state positions, which makes firing them even MORE difficult.

he's covered as every other non-classified state employee.

also, a significant number of our athletic department employees are classified state positions, which makes firing them even MORE difficult.

So we can't get rid of a football coach? That's laughable.

Reactions: The Real SamC
flip2488 knows so it must be true! Another post without any basis in factual evidence nor can he state anything other than "according to sources" etc. If you can't reveal

So we can't get rid of a football coach? That's laughable.

we can, the ways how are laid out in his contract with marshall/state of wv. there are ethical (for the gov-elect) and legal issues potentially for the gov-elect writing a personal check to cover the buyout of a state employee.

if this was chris cline or someone else, there wouldn't be the same issues. unfortunately, jim justice for at least the next 4 years is not a random joe public person.

No way. C'mon man.

we were one of the only 1-aa teams to have a full-time strength coach for football. we had the best facilities in 1-aa at the time, which in part is why we hosted the title game. we had more available scholarships because of our transition to 1-a, this rule has since been changed.

That's just bullshit. Since when does injury over-ride team rules? And if it does, Doc really is running a shitshow.

You're missing the point.

He was injured earlier that week therefore he was never going to play against WKU. That allowed him the freedom to make a poor choice which landed him the suspension.

If he was going to play (never injured), he would've never had the freedom to make a poor decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT