ADVERTISEMENT

So a kid from Huntington , dad played at Marshall , kid was WVPOA and we

MARSHALL77

Platinum Buffalo
May 29, 2001
thought he was to small to play for Marshall but he plays in the MAC for Akron (15-3) and 5-0 leading the MAC East by 2 games --- announcers are laughing at the fact the kid played in Huntington at HHS , dad played for Marshall but the staff thought he was too small to play college hoops at "our" level...just exactly what is "our" level , we have no bigs so we are small guess the kid in the wisdom of the staff would have made us even smaller?

Amazing , too small..go figure and please do not tell me we had enough guards as that is an area we have an issue with especially one thinking its all about him.

DunnMartin_Tanian_H16_web.jpg

11 Tavian Dunn-Martin
Height: 5-8
Weight: 155
Year: Fr.
Hometown: Huntington, W.Va.
High School: Huntington, W.Va.
Position: G

Reactions: Herd Fever
We get it you hate everything the coaches do

No not at all , just amazing watching this kid play and playing in the MAC much like CUSA but we do not seem to think he is one that would help the program , on top of that with the recruiting that goes on inside the state and his dad playing at Marshall you would think we would have had him locked up signed sealed and delivered before the end of his senior year.

Might turn on the game and watch him in the second half - CBSSN 221 on Direct

Soooooo much more to the whole picture here. And I'm not inferring anything immoral or illegal. And no I'm not going to expound I'll leave that to others if they wish.

I wouldn't build a team like DD has. That said, no way I would recruit a kid that small unless he was super special. 155 pounds? If he had the ability to get ripped, maybe, but I doubt that with his frame. Then again, I am a Big Ten guy and I like my players physical.

thought he was to small to play for Marshall but he plays in the MAC for Akron (15-3) and 5-0 leading the MAC East by 2 games --- announcers are laughing at the fact the kid played in Huntington at HHS , dad played for Marshall but the staff thought he was too small to play college hoops at "our" level...just exactly what is "our" level , we have no bigs so we are small guess the kid in the wisdom of the staff would have made us even smaller?

Amazing , too small..go figure and please do not tell me we had enough guards as that is an area we have an issue with especially one thinking its all about him.

11 Tavian Dunn-Martin
Height: 5-8
Weight: 155
Year: Fr.
Hometown: Huntington, W.Va.
High School: Huntington, W.Va.
Position: G

Dont worry its pathetic.

I dont know Raoul - sure he is 155 but at 5'8 he ( at least on TV) is not by any means a light weight - If anyone watched the game , he is quick , great passer and was not shy about driving the lane at all.

I know people are stuck on Allison because we took him in the same class as TDM but I believe what it really came down to is we chose Jarrod West to be our PG of the future. We shall see if it was ultimately the correct choice but @GreenDuke is not the first person who has insinuated our coaching staff passed on TDM for reasons outside of his basketball ability.

Here we go. Half of you know why the kid was not recruited and the other half says they know. None of you produce a shred of truth as to why this kid went to Akron. More than likely to escape all the criticism from posters on this board if he failed as a player here. I don't blame the kid at all. He is playing on a good team that may well win the MAC and probably get into a tournament long before we do.

Here we go. Half of you know why the kid was not recruited and the other half says they know. None of you produce a shred of truth as to why this kid went to Akron. More than likely to escape all the criticism from posters on this board if he failed as a player here. I don't blame the kid at all. He is playing on a good team that may well win the MAC and probably get into a tournament long before we do.

We didn't offer him. He didn't have the option to come here so no worries about the meanies on HN hurting his feelings.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
I know people are stuck on Allison because we took him in the same class as TDM but I believe what it really came down to is we chose Jarrod West to be our PG of the future. We shall see if it was ultimately the correct choice but @GreenDuke is not the first person who has insinuated our coaching staff passed on TDM for reasons outside of his basketball ability.

I am one of the others who insinuated that there are more reasons than his size that we got the better deal with Allison AND West

Reactions: Herdmeister
I dont know Raoul - sure he is 155 but at 5'8 he ( at least on TV) is not by any means a light weight - If anyone watched the game , he is quick , great passer and was not shy about driving the lane at all.

I've not seen him play. I just base my opinions on experience. We had a local kid here in Indiana of about the same frame go to Nebraska, and he didn't amount to much. Yes, my focus is on leagues higher than C-USA, but I saw that kid, and others like him, not be able to really compete with bigger, stronger, lankier kids. Yogi Ferrell looked little on TV but was 6 foot and a ripped 185, and was the #3 PG in his class. Dude was built like a RB. This guy is none of those things.

Any of us that attend practice KNOW for sure. What I said is true. Danny will answer any question you ask him. It was asked and answered.

I think the Kilgore fellow from Spring Valley was also state POY. Not sure if he is legit D1 player, at least at CUSA level, but is on the Herd squad for second year in a row.

Punk kid doesn't belong here. Trust those who know and have dealt with him. He's a low level D1 player with emotional baggage. We got the better deal.

Easy to "miss" on a 5-8 player........ Local HS here had an All-State player (ranked as best PG in South Carolina) dad was a STAR in the A-10 and played professionally in Europe for 12 years......kid is a phenom, but he is yet to sign with anyone (instead going to prep) because he is 5-4 or 5-5..... can dunk, great shooter, super quick, great skills, but most folks can't get beyond his 5-4 or 5-5 frame...........kid is "ripped" and has an incredible BBall IQ..... Started for his HS team as a 6th grader and was only 4-6 (no typo, yes 4-6)

BTW: Dad was 5-6 also and so was his brother who played for Deleware, Dad played for GW

Google him, his name is Darnell Rogers............both Ga Tech and UNC-Wilmington have recruited him as has GW and Davidson.......google and watch/read about him

I've seen him play a dozen or so times............he is the real deal!!! Fun to watch and would be a real "media" sensation

Last edited:
I think the Kilgore fellow from Spring Valley was also state POY. Not sure if he is legit D1 player, at least at CUSA level, but is on the Herd squad for second year in a row.
Kilgore visited Virginia Tech and Duke for Track & Field. He was WV state champ 2 straight years in 400m and 800m, as well as WV POY in basketball. Ended up at Marshall due to receiving a full ride through Marshall Medical School. Obviously a very smart and athletic kid. The few times he got in last year He never hurt himself, in fact I think he had 2nd best shooting percentage on team. Some reason DD is not giving him the opportunity as He has others this year though. If you go to practices, you will see he is as good as some others who are getting significant floor time.

I think Kilgore can/will get minutes as an upper classmen if he stays with it.

what I have seen of his shooting he is impressive. when Loop and Browning move on next year that will leave a lot of minutes to compete for.

what I have seen of his shooting he is impressive. when Loop and Browning move on next year that will leave a lot of minutes to compete for.
That's it. He can fill Loop's role, but Thieneman can as well and Christian is a much more physical player than Kilgore is. Kilgore is actually very athletic, but lacks physicality. When Loop leaves, Thieneman/Kilgore can then split that role.

It's kinda funny because you've got one thread full of people complaining about us playing too small, not physical enough, not able to rebound, only recruit the state of WV, etc. Then in another threads we've got people complaining about us not recruiting a 5'5 local player hard enough and not giving a local walk-on enough minutes to prove himself.

I don't know if the criticisms could be any more inconsistent lol

That's it. He can fill Loop's role, but Thieneman can as well and Christian is a much more physical player than Kilgore is. Kilgore is actually very athletic, but lacks physicality. When Loop leaves, Thieneman/Kilgore can then split that role.

It's kinda funny because you've got one thread full of people complaining about us playing too small, not physical enough, not able to rebound, only recruit the state of WV, etc. Then in another threads we've got people complaining about us not recruiting a 5'5 local player hard enough and not giving a local walk-on enough minutes to prove himself
That'

It's kinda funny because you've got one thread full of people complaining about us playing too small, not physical enough, not able to rebound, only recruit the state of WV, etc. Then in another threads we've got people complaining about us not recruiting a 5'5 local player hard enough and not giving a local walk-on enough minutes to prove himself.

I don't know if the criticisms could be any more inconsistent lol

Thanks to you and previous 2 posters re: Kilgore. Had read somewhere that he had been POY in basketball but wasn't aware of his track achievements. Agree that he might be a wing or shooting guard in next year or so, given his size. Didn't think he could play inside; note that his weight is listed by MU at around 175 or 177, which is pretty thin for an inside player. We'll be needing some outside firepower next year absent Loop and Browning and hope that Kilgore will be able to help fill the need. Kudos to him also for his academic pursuits and hope he achieves his goals in his chose field!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT