ADVERTISEMENT

So About the New Commit

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Does he have any other FBS offers? Two years ago, he had 0 FBS offers. He ended up going to an FCS (Citadel). After his freshman season in which he played about half of their games, he transferred mid-year to a JUCO (Navarro). He has offers from Tennessee Tech (FCS) and Robert Morris (FCS).

Does he have any other FBS offers other than Marshall's which he immediately committed to? None in high school, it appears none after JUCO (other than Marshall), and he played at a JUCO that just about every school in the country recruits.

Is this another one of those instances where the Marshall staff saw something that none of the other 120 FBS schools that saw Navarro's players saw?

We just offered his teammate that has an equally impressive offer list...Stephen F. Austin and Abilene Christian from what I can see.

Rifle I watched his HUDL video. What don't you like about him. You are probably one of a handful on here who can legitimately evaluate talent.

We just offered his teammate that has an equally impressive offer list...Stephen F. Austin and Abilene Christian from what I can see.

Navarro is a JUCO that is recruited by just about every FBS in the country. Our staff plays this game every year. It's amazing that they are the only ones who can identify FBS talent while the other 120 schools don't see it.

Rifle I watched his HUDL video. What don't you like about him. You are probably one of a handful on here who can legitimately evaluate talent.

I haven't watched it yet but will.

What don't I like? I don't like that two years ago, the kid had 0 FBS offers at a powerhouse Florida school that dozens of FBS programs recruited. I don't like that he went to an FCS for one semester and was just a role player. I don't like that just a year later, he still has no other FBS offers even though he played at a highly recruited JUCO.

Are there kids who slip through the cracks and are ballers after not getting any offers? Sure. But those are very rare cases usually with kids not at highly recruited school. This Marshall staff seems to offer a ton of kids with no other offers.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this is why we struggle with teams like Charlotte. Sure there are kids like Lang that just fall through the cracks or just lack the measurables that won't win you the underwear olympics that scouts drool over. However like @riflearm2 pointed out what are the odds that Doc is the best and only coach at finding all of those kids. Go back and look at the way we recruited from 2012-2014 and 2015-Present. Sure some of those players didn't stay more than two seasons. However we were deep and could compete with anyone. The Maryland fans couldn't believe that we were as big, strong, and fast as they were and in some spots more so. Those days are in the rearview.

Hate to correct you rifle, but it's 129 other FBS schools, not 120.

Hence me saying "just about every FBS school" recruits Navarro.

There are some schools that don't bother - Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, possibly UVA, some that don't recruit Texas at all, etc. So by saying just about every FBS recruits that particular JUCO, and if there are 129 FBS schools, saying the other 120 FBS schools who saw that recruit is accurate.

Sorry, but this is why we struggle with teams like Charlotte. Sure there are kids like Lang that just fall through the cracks or just lack the measurables that won't win you the underwear olympics that scouts drool over. However like @riflearm2 pointed out what are the odds that Doc is the best and only coach at finding all of those kids. Go back and look at the way we recruited from 2012-2014 and 2015-Present. Sure some of those players didn't stay more than two seasons. However we were deep and could compete with anyone. The Maryland fans couldn't believe that we were as big, strong, and fast as they were and in some spots more so. Those days are in the rearview.

I posted a list on here last year of the commits Marshall had and the offers each commit had. Almost always, Marshall was winning recruiting battles with a handful of bad FCS schools and maybe one or two bad Sun Belt or MAC schools.

Marshall's high C-USA recruiting ranking is all about getting the kids who don't qualify and/or getting kids who are so extreme on the bubble that other schools have dropped off and don't want to wait around to see if they qualify.

Overall, Marshall isn't out recruiting the worst P5 programs, the top G5 programs, and much of the time, isn't even out recruiting average G5 teams.

Take away the non-qualifiers and the academic bubble kids and things would be very ugly.

I posted a list on here last year of the commits Marshall had and the offers each commit had. Almost always, Marshall was winning recruiting battles with a handful of bad FCS schools and maybe one or two bad Sun Belt or MAC schools.

Marshall's high C-USA recruiting ranking is all about getting the kids who don't qualify and/or getting kids who are so extreme on the bubble that other schools have dropped off and don't want to wait around to see if they qualify.

Overall, Marshall isn't out recruiting the worst P5 programs, the top G5 programs, and much of the time, isn't even out recruiting average G5 teams.

Take away the non-qualifiers and the academic bubble kids and things would be very ugly.
Oh no doubt. However it used to be when Doc first took over those NQs were bigger talents Marshall wasn't getting otherwise and were the cherries on top so to speak. Now they're some of them are unranked kids that just didn't qualify or in the class that really burnt us (Hakeem Bailey, Von Davis, and another I can't recall) they were players depended on instead of being recruited around. Now our DBs are so thin and terrible we have to scour the JUCO ranks to create depth.

I don't know what changed other than the assistants out hitting the trail now either just don't believe they can land the bigger kids so they don't go as hard on them or what. All I know is NSD isn't as exciting as it used to be and we are compiling classes like Snyder had instead of classes like 2011 and 2012 that had Urban Meyer (when he was at ESPN) and ESPNU commenting on them during their signing class breakdowns.

However it's business as usual around here and everything is just peachy.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

Nothing more true ever stated!

"Overall, Marshall isn't out recruiting the worst P5 programs, the top G5 programs, and much of the time, isn't even out recruiting average G5 teams."

That's what having a Idle / Stagnant program does for you. Long way from the late 90's Early 2000's when we were beating Clemson, So.Carolina, K-state, and giving Ohio St all they could handle at the Shoe. Two questionable coaches later, and well....

Maybe it's Johns attitude that is preceding him with some of the high school coaches. They could possibly be steering kids away from John if he is being a jerk to them also. With coaches it is a lot about reputation.

Does he have any other FBS offers? Two years ago, he had 0 FBS offers. He ended up going to an FCS (Citadel). After his freshman season in which he played about half of their games, he transferred mid-year to a JUCO (Navarro). He has offers from Tennessee Tech (FCS) and Robert Morris (FCS).

Does he have any other FBS offers other than Marshall's which he immediately committed to? None in high school, it appears none after JUCO (other than Marshall), and he played at a JUCO that just about every school in the country recruits.

Is this another one of those instances where the Marshall staff saw something that none of the other 120 FBS schools that saw Navarro's players saw?

I have found myself wondering this every year for awhile now when recruits like this pop up with very little to no other offers. This might explain a lot about where our program is right now. It all starts with recruiting and ends with development and I'm not sure we have very much quality of either these days.

So this is our new way of welcoming new recruits to our Marshall family.

No, this is our way of talking Marshall Football, in a place to talk MU football. It’s not like people are putting these posts in a welcome basket and sending them to the dude.

There’s been nothing said here that is inaccurate or questioning/insulting him personally.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect to be able to discuss the quality of our staffs’ recruits on a Marshall football message board.

If he chooses to come here and get his feelings hurt, that’s on him. I would hope we’re going after the kind of guys who would read something critical and come in here with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove people wrong.

I don’t love the Bowers offer/commitment but if he turns out to be a decent depth piece I’ll consider his signing a success. We just don’t have much at corner right now after JMS and Gilmore. The fact that Bowers will enroll in January is huge.

Besides, his much more highly recruited teammate and fellow CB Dominique Bradshaw will be on campus this weekend for an OV.

Reactions: johns1124
Are you going to beg for shirtless pictures like your buddy, Murox the Moron, too, only to then look foolish for being exposed as being wrong again?

Geez, the original "129 not 120" comment was a dig at John expressing that he was "smarter" than more teams then you originally indicated. You missed the joke and had to write an explanation, hence the "Mr. Tons of Fun" comment.

Not everyone is out to get you with every post. Lighten up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT