ADVERTISEMENT

So does this earn Doc an extension??

I think our next coach is probably Cramsey or possibly Lambert.
If Lambert is the successor I'd rather have Doc. Next year will be rocky because we potentially lose all five of our starting OL, but we have a really good QB and really good RB group. If Doc signed a 4-5 yr deal we'd have good to great seasons because of Wells.

Also you aren't exactly going to attract quality candidates if you don't try to resign a HC that would win a conference championship and finished in the top25. Especially as a G5 school.

Now if we faceplant again then move on. As long as it's not Lambert.

Reactions: beefcake0520
If Lambert is the successor I'd rather have Doc. Next year will be rocky because we potentially lose all five of our starting OL, but we have a really good QB and really good RB group. If Doc signed a 4-5 yr deal we'd have good to great seasons because of Wells.

Also you aren't exactly going to attract quality candidates if you don't try to resign a HC that would win a conference championship and finished in the top25. Especially as a G5 school.

Now if we faceplant again then move on. As long as it's not Lambert.
And potentially we have all 5 back

Glad this post came up. Never understood the hate that MH and to a lesser extent Doc gets. Wanted to make a few points. I consider every championship a HC wins as an extra life. Saban and Dabo have multiple lives regardless of record for their win. Doc got 5 year extension in like 2010 and won the 14 champ. And made the title game. So we end with the horrible 3-8 in 2016. He was able to use that life and we eventually get Cramsey and have had to replace several assistants from Heater to strength trainer. It’s part of the game but Doc was able to manage. He adapted and Marshall Improves and we just can’t get to that next level but this is the most complete/healthy team I’ve seen since the Military Bowl. If We go undefeated we have to give an extension. Maybe not 5 years but as a coach in his 70s Not sure now many 5 year deals he has left. The biggest question is more who the heir. Cramsey, Lambo or outsider. Whoever it may be , I believe we have steady and great program and built great facilities and watchable games without following into owing coaches millions in of dollars. Can’t fault Doc or Hamrick when they are making lemonade out of lemons. We still have a household name and the gamblers love bowl season Marshall.

Last edited:
Glad this post came up. Never understood the hate that MH and to a lesser extent Doc gets. Wanted to make a few points. I consider every championship a HC wins as an extra life. Saban and Dabo have multiple lives regardless of record for there win. Doc got 5 year extension in like 2010 and won the 14 champ. And made the title game. So we end with the horrible 3-8 in 2016. He was able to use that life and we eventually get Cramsey and have had to replace several assistants from Heater to strength trainer. It’s part of the game but Doc was able to manage. He adapted and Marshall Improves and we just can’t get to that next level but this is the most complete/healthy team I’ve seen since the Military Bowl. If We go undefeated we have to give an extension. Maybe not 5 years but as a coach in his 70s Not sure now many 5 year deals he has left. The biggest question is more who the heir. Cramsey, Lambo or outsider. Whoever it may be , I believe we have steady and great program and built great facilities and watchable games without following into owing coaches millions in of dollars. Can’t fault Doc or Hamrick when they are making lemonade out of lemons. We still have a household name and the gamblers love bowl season Marshall.

As I will continue to say...MU can't afford to simply "fire Doc" with a bad game or two. Just look at what happens when CUSA teams have their head coach bolt for better programs or are fired...

But...with that said...

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Don't believe Doc is in his 70s, or quite near. Not 65 yet, I'm pretty sure. Played at WVU toward the end of the 70s, IIRC, so is probably around 63 or so. IMO, if MU goes after any head coach with a record of sustained success, FCS or another FBS HC, we'll probably have to offer a 7 figure yearly salary and/or probably bump up the amount of $$$ for assistant coaches salaries and recruiting!!

Agree with the posters above. My point with Doc is that I don’t see him being Bill Snyder coaching til 79. I know Doc is close to the all time Win record by Pruitt. No matter what all the coaches need pay bumps if we want to keep competitive. It’s title-game or bust in my opinion with some 3 year extensions. For those who say we should be ruling CUSA I agree I’d be nice to win A couple more championships but not going to blame Hamrick or the school for some things like decrease enrollment/viewers/fans that is a national trend. Great Recession and loss of state support hasn’t helped. Sometimes greatness is just being born at the right time and place. Not Marshall’s fault that 10 +teams are now FBS or the sanctions under Pruitt that hurt momentum or BCS bids that helped Boise become a household name.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Agree with the posters above. My point with Doc is that I don’t see him being Bill Snyder coaching til 79. I know Doc is close to the all time Win record by Pruitt. No matter what all the coaches need pay bumps if we want to keep competitive. It’s title-game or bust in my opinion with some 3 year extensions. For those who say we should be ruling CUSA I agree I’d be nice to win A couple more championships but not going to blame Hamrick or the school for some things like decrease enrollment/viewers/fans that is a national trend. Great Recession and loss of state support hasn’t helped. Sometimes greatness is just being born at the right time and place. Not Marshall’s fault that 10 +teams are now FBS or the sanctions under Pruitt that hurt momentum or BCS bids that helped Boise become a household name.
Didn't Doc take a pay cut to allow more money given to his coordinators and staff?

It would be nice if everyone would show Doc some loyalty, just as he has shown to Marshall. We sometimes talk as if we are a P-5 program raking in $40 million a year in TV revenue. And remember there is no guarantee that the next HC will win a game.

I was called all sorts of things for showing Doc some loyalty.
Little did some of these fools know how close to potential disaster they were flirting with wanting him gone when MU was down.

It would be nice if everyone would show Doc some loyalty, just as he has shown to Marshall.

So far, I'm fine with the job Holliday has done so far this year, but, to your point, it's easy to be "loyal" when you don't have other options. I believe Doc was interested in the Pitt HC position about 5 years ago, unless you're talking about him staying here over an Assistant position at a big school for more money?

He was the only D1 coach to offer Louisiana Tech's QB a scholarship. Ended up signing him and coaching/developing him in his redshirt year, then the kid ended up being the starter the following year.

rVabnjM.jpg

Thank goodness this elite QB took it easy on us tonight.

Doc has never been a good head coach. Have people forgotten all the coaching blunders he has made the last several years? Just because Marshall is 4-0 right now doesnt excuse Doc's past. We are 4-0 right now simply because we have more talent than the other 4 teams we have played. We should be 4-0. Just because Doc hasnt had a brain fart yet this season doesnt mean he is suddenly a good coach. Lets see what happens the rest of the year. It seems like Doc always loses a game or two against inferior teams.

Reactions: GeograficlyHerd
Damn who pissed in your Cheerios
Doc has never been a good head coach. Have people forgotten all the coaching blunders he has made the last several years? Just because Marshall is 4-0 right now doesnt excuse Doc's past. We are 4-0 right now simply because we have more talent than the other 4 teams we have played. We should be 4-0. Just because Doc hasnt had a brain fart yet this season doesnt mean he is suddenly a good coach. Lets see what happens the rest of the year. It seems like Doc always loses a game or two against inferior teams.
damn who pissed in your Cheerios?!

Except this year.

Marshall has the better team vs anybody left on the Marshall schedule. I have a bad feeling however that Doc will "pull a Doc" and lose to a team or two Marshall has no business losing to. I would like to believe otherwise but history has shown me what kind of head coach Doc really is.

Marshall has the better team vs anybody left on the Marshall schedule. I have a bad feeling however that Doc will "pull a Doc" and lose to a team or two Marshall has no business losing to. I would like to believe otherwise but history has shown me what kind of head coach Doc really is.
Well why even play?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I guess I have a different view than some of you. Doc has us in the AP Top 25 again. This happened 3 times under Pruett and now 2 times under Doc. Is he as good as BP? No, but he is a solid coach. Look guys with Wells at QB we are primed to enjoy a good run. Every time we have been really good since moving up to FBS we have had a good QB. Every time we cracked the AP poll we had a good QB. Chad, Byron, Cato and now Grant. Fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride

I know, you've been waiting and yearning.
Doc gets a new deal because money is really tight(and he has earned it). My hope is Doc does not get cocky and start recruiting thugs again. No way Green should have been the QB with that attitude. Doc cleaned up the mess he created 5 yrs ago. Attitude and character matters and Doc sometimes forgets this when recruiting.

It's like they say, the HC gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when they lose. Doc has been loyal and represented the school well. In turn, MU has been loyal and allowed him to coach for 11 seasons and likely a few more. A good HC makes good hires and allows those hires to do their jobs without micro managing. I think Doc has hired some duds at DC and OC and he in turn keeps his hands on the wheel a little too much. This year he seems to be letting them have control and all can see the benefits.
He is paid 3/4 of a million dollars to win, he is a multi millionaire. I know many coaches have been fired for seasons like 2016. He is still here and that's fine with me.
Having a competent QB for the first time since 2014 makes him look good as well.

Reactions: ohio herd
CP or BL is the future!
I know I keep seeing Byron listed but explain to me , why would he give up what will be a multi million dollar a year paycheck to come and coach at a maybe at best 1 million dollar pay day at a mid major program?
As for Chad, he has more kids at home and he has made it clear he wants to coach them. Maybe 10 years from now he could be on a Marshall sideline but I wouldn't bet on it

Doc gets a new deal because money is really tight(and he has earned it). My hope is Doc does not get cocky and start recruiting thugs again. No way Green should have been the QB with that attitude. Doc cleaned up the mess he created 5 yrs ago. Attitude and character matters and Doc sometimes forgets this when recruiting.
I agree that money could be the deciding factor. We would be hard pressed to get another coach of any value to come here for what he makes. Most of the coaches in CUSA wouldn't come for that money. Half already make more and the other half make close enough it wouldn't be worth their while

I agree that money could be the deciding factor. We would be hard pressed to get another coach of any value to come here for what he makes. Most of the coaches in CUSA wouldn't come for that money. Half already make more and the other half make close enough it wouldn't be worth their while
We wouldn't target another CUSA HC as Doc's replacement.

Our next coach is currently a coordinator at the FBS level (there are some top level P5 exceptions in this group) or a HC at the FCS level.

We'd be able to offer coaches who fit those profiles anywhere from a 100% to 300% raise. Maybe more in some cases.

We wouldn't target another CUSA HC as Doc's replacement.

Our next coach is currently a coordinator at the FBS level (there are some top level P5 exceptions in this group) or a HC at the FCS level.

We'd be able to offer coaches who fit those profiles anywhere from a 100% to 300% raise. Maybe more in some cases.
Exactly Chris. A successful FCS coach would be an excellent fit and double or more their salary in a heartbeat. We don't have to target an FBS TOP 10 program OC or DC, they wouldn't come here anyway in all likelihood. Plenty of good coaches out there that would take the Marshall job and be happy here.
I'd say we'll likely pay the next HC about 1Mil. after it's all said and done. jmho

Exactly Chris. A successful FCS coach would be an excellent fit and double or more their salary in a heartbeat. We don't have to target an FBS TOP 10 program OC or DC, they wouldn't come here anyway in all likelihood. Plenty of good coaches out there that would take the Marshall job and be happy here.
I'd say we'll likely pay the next HC about 1Mil. after it's all said and done. jmho
Exactly. It would be very hard today top get a HC for much less than a million. That is why I posted as I did. I know we wouldn't target a CUSA coach. Any that we would already make more than Doc does now. Getting a P5 coordinator for less than a million would be tough as well. Most of them are already above that level.
I believe you would be pretty much limited to a coordinator from a G5 or a FCS /D2 head coach

For the life of me I can't imagine why we would even discuss getting rid of Doc . He has a 617% win percentage. While not being elite(Saban , Meyer, etc) is solid. He has us in the Top 25 in the AP poll for the second time. BP only got us there 3 times. I think we have a real good chance at winning C-USA this year. We have a really good QB who has 3 years left. This has been the missing ingredient the past 4 years. We had the talent but kept coming up short.

It's like they say, the HC gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when they lose. Doc has been loyal and represented the school well. In turn, MU has been loyal and allowed him to coach for 11 seasons and likely a few more. A good HC makes good hires and allows those hires to do their jobs without micro managing. I think Doc has hired some duds at DC and OC and he in turn keeps his hands on the wheel a little too much. This year he seems to be letting them have control and all can see the benefits.
He is paid 3/4 of a million dollars to win, he is a multi millionaire. I know many coaches have been fired for seasons like 2016. He is still here and that's fine with me.
Having a competent QB for the first time since 2014 makes him look good as well.

His loyalty was the exact complaining point for this board not even a year ago...and years prior.

Getting a P5 coordinator for less than a million would be tough as well. Most of them are already above that level.
Many do but those are the ones I mentioned as exceptions. This is a little outdated (Aranada is now the HC at Baylor and Pelini makes $800K/year as his replacement), but there are roughly 20-25 coordinators who make $1 million or more in the entire country: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/auburn/kevin-steele-auburn-contract/

Gerard Parker makes $525K/year at WVU.
Adam Fuller makes $800K/year at FSU.

There's a P5 coordinator getting a lot of buzz behind the scenes with our admin who makes less than Parker does at WVU.

Then there's guys like Todd Hartley (not a coordinator yet but makes $300K/year) at Georgia.

Marcus Freeman, who a lot of people love, makes $600K/year at UC.

I know those last couple of names are off-topic because they're not P5 coordinators, but I brought them up to show MU will have a ton of options whenever a replacement for Doc is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT