ADVERTISEMENT

So does this earn Doc an extension??

Many do but those are the ones I mentioned as exceptions. This is a little outdated (Aranada is now the HC at Baylor and Pelini makes $800K/year as his replacement), but there are roughly 20-25 coordinators who make $1 million or more in the entire country: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/auburn/kevin-steele-auburn-contract/

Gerard Parker makes $525K/year at WVU.
Adam Fuller makes $800K/year at FSU.

There's a P5 coordinator getting a lot of buzz behind the scenes with our admin who makes less than Parker does at WVU.

Then there's guys like Todd Hartley (not a coordinator yet but makes $300K/year) at Georgia.

Marcus Freeman, who a lot of people love, makes $600K/year at UC.

I know those last couple of names are off-topic because they're not P5 coordinators, but I brought them up to show MU will have a ton of options whenever a replacement for Doc is needed.
Why does the admin seem to ignore solid FCS HC's and only look at D1 coordinators? I just don't understand that mentality. I guess the writing is on the wall, we'll get someone with past Marshall ties in some form or fashion.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Many do but those are the ones I mentioned as exceptions. This is a little outdated (Aranada is now the HC at Baylor and Pelini makes $800K/year as his replacement), but there are roughly 20-25 coordinators who make $1 million or more in the entire country: https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/auburn/kevin-steele-auburn-contract/

Gerard Parker makes $525K/year at WVU.
Adam Fuller makes $800K/year at FSU.

There's a P5 coordinator getting a lot of buzz behind the scenes with our admin who makes less than Parker does at WVU.

Then there's guys like Todd Hartley (not a coordinator yet but makes $300K/year) at Georgia.

Marcus Freeman, who a lot of people love, makes $600K/year at UC.

I know those last couple of names are off-topic because they're not P5 coordinators, but I brought them up to show MU will have a ton of options whenever a replacement for Doc is needed.

I'd go for an FCS HC. They have experience in actually running a program.
They also would get a decent pay raise and could prove they know how to win based on their resume.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Why does the admin seem to ignore solid FCS HC's and only look at D1 coordinators? I just don't understand that mentality. I guess the writing is on the wall, we'll get someone with past Marshall ties in some form or fashion.
I'm not saying that at all. Just listing guys with ties to MU who I know will be considered.

I've heard some buzz about Josh Conklin at Wofford. Lots of people like him very much.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'd go for an FCS HC. They have experience in actually running a program.
They also would get a decent pay raise and could prove they know how to win based on their resume.
We could probably hire any FCS HC we'd want (at least from a financial standpoint).

Cignetti at JMU makes $425K/year.

Brian Bohannon (who I love) makes $500K/year at Kennesaw State.

Exactly. It would be very hard today top get a HC for much less than a million. That is why I posted as I did. I know we wouldn't target a CUSA coach. Any that we would already make more than Doc does now. Getting a P5 coordinator for less than a million would be tough as well. Most of them are already above that level.
I believe you would be pretty much limited to a coordinator from a G5 or a FCS /D2 head coach
I agree, The athletic department is bleeding cash so being able to pay someone much more then Docs current salary would just make things more difficult. I’m not a huge Doc fan but we need to thank god he has us in a good position at the moment because I would not want to be looking for a new coach in this environment. I would give him a short term ext

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We could probably hire any FCS HC we'd want (at least from a financial standpoint).

Cignetti at JMU makes $425K/year.

Brian Bohannon (who I love) makes $500K/year at Kennesaw State.

You're making too much sense here, Chris. We, historically, do not take this approach when trying to get a replacement head coach. We go with good ol' boy politics and get forced into a selection, meanwhile ignoring interests from coaches who would have had huge potential, and/or ultimately choose another good ol' boy politics pick being someone in administration's good buddy from way back in the day.

You're making too much sense here, Chris. We, historically, do not take this approach when trying to get a replacement head coach. We go with good ol' boy politics and get forced into a selection, meanwhile ignoring interests from coaches who would have had huge potential, and/or ultimately choose another good ol' boy politics pick being someone in administration's good buddy from way back in the day.
What mlblack is saying here, is that Bill Legg will be the next HC at The Marshall University.

Next year he becomes our all time winningest coach.

Give any coach enough time and he'll get there. That's not a great metric.

If we continue being ranked and having a similar season to Cato's Senior year, I would say that earns his keep. But mixed throughout the majority of his tenure is bad coaching and lackluster play in one of the bottom 2 conferences in the nation.

Reactions: johns1124
Yes it earns him 2 yr extension

I would be OK with three (assuming Wells does not declare as a junior), give him a chance to see what we can do with this QB. And I am not a Doc fan...but it seems the cancers have been cut from the team, and that has been such a big issue.

I would be OK with three (assuming Wells does not declare as a junior), give him a chance to see what we can do with this QB. And I am not a Doc fan...but it seems the cancers have been cut from the team, and that has been such a big issue.

Declare what? 😏

Shouldn’t he take some responsibility for recruiting the cancers and letting them grow through 4 years of Mediocrity? (16-19)

And the biggest one of all, apparently, would still be here had he not threatened a coach. Not like Doc got ahead of that one.

Shouldn’t he take some responsibility for recruiting the cancers and letting them grow through 4 years of Mediocrity? (16-19)

And the biggest one of all, apparently, would still be here had he not threatened a coach. Not like Doc got ahead of that one.

Yes. But he should get some credit for getting past that.

Was part of that incident because Green was getting beat out?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I'm not going to blame Doc for giving someone a second chance. While the notable ones are usually negative, I imagine plenty have taken advantage of their time and became better people overall.

I'm not going to blame Doc for giving someone a second chance. While the notable ones are usually negative, I imagine plenty have taken advantage of their time and became better people overall.
Like Josh Ball and Tavante Beckett. Derrick Pitts is another one. You could count Brandon Drayton because Doc didn't bail on him.

So many fans like to dwell on the idiots, but will never point to the success stories.

I'm scared to death that Lambert is our HCIW. If we run the table then Doc deserves at least a three year extension which keeps him here for Grant's career.

1. I don't want to make a change for the sake of it and end up with Brad Lambert as our HC. He's been awesome this year as our DC, but we've already seen him as a HC and it wasn't good.

2. I would hate to see Grant's career derailed because he doesn't fit with the next HC. Grant excels right now because he knows the playbook, the reads, and the terminology. This is nearly two years of work. I would hate to reset that to zero "just because".

Now if you're brining in someone that is an actual upgrade to Doc then let's go. I also don't want to be like USM. They got tired of their HC and their program has never really been the same.

I just don't think we can pay competitively enough to get what we want.

I can’t believe that everyone but Bleeds and I understand that Brad Lambert is the coach I’m waiting..
If this does happen, which I believe it will. Then it shows you how aggressive this athletic department is about growing this program. I love Marshall and love Herd football, but if he is hired I will seriously reconsider my BG donations and season tickets.

Hiring someone with a connection to the program has been hit or miss. Didn’t have: Lengal (!) Elwood, Randle, Parrish, Chaump, Donnan, Holiday. Did: Pruitt, Snyder......

The players are pro Doc . If you guys want these players including Knox to be back next year you better hope for a Doc extension. This coach and staff are in “sync”with the best player/coach relationship since late 90’s. The pandemic has done wonders for team bonding. Doc is in charge of Covid protocols and has the hammer down.

CP and BL are proven entity’s and they could rejuvenate a fanbase and to think it is improbable they would not accept the job as HC is questionable. The Vision by some on all the boards that, we will never achieve the status of the nineties is missing the mark!

CP and BL are proven entity’s and they could rejuvenate a fanbase and to think it is improbable they would not accept the job as HC is questionable. The Vision by some on all the boards that, we will never achieve the status of the nineties is missing the mark!

CP and BL are NOT coming to Marshall any time soon.

Multiple things have to happen for either of those to happen and they aren’t in the foreseeable future.

The Vision by some on all the boards that, we will never achieve the status of the nineties is missing the mark!

Exactly.

I believe we now know what Josh was talking about the last two years regarding the problem with the program and it was not all Doc fault. CL really put the program into a bind when he thought he was NFL material early (A decision he probably regrets). We were left with two QB's who were not very good IG and Morrel. Looks, to me, as if the excessive conservative play calling over the last two years was to protect IG and the Wagner Vet. from embarrassing themselves. We finally, get a decent QB, and our playbook has opened up a bit.

Reactions: ohio herd
Hear me now, and believe me latah.....CP - financially set for life and enjoying being HC at his kids high school. No way in hell he decides to spend massive amounts of time away from his family to do a decent job at a college HC gig.
BL? - financially set for life and in the process of potentially making millions more per year as a NFL HC......no freaking way he walks away from that!! He may have another 10-15 years in that profession.
The point is: the nineties are NOT coming back...ever. It’s in the previous century for Chris’ sakes! We are in the midst of an amazing time for Marshall football! Let’s enjoy the hell out of it while realizing times/fans/society/technology have seen a landslide of changes in the last 20 years. There is no going back, only moving forward.
WS
p.s. This season earns Doc a 3 year extension! jmo

BL will the a HC in the NFL before he coaches a down at MU

Reactions: marshallsig
I'd give Doc 5 more years because we beat FAU last years championship team bye 11 points Saturday. 5 more years. 5 more years 5 more yrars.

It's been said Doc will be here as along as Hamrick is here. I believe that. Mike wants to see the baseball stadium completed and that will be at least 3 years down the road. jmo.

No.

I'd give Doc 5 more years because we beat FAU last years championship team bye 11 points Saturday. 5 more years. 5 more years 5 more yrars.
Didn't we also beat them last year? And how did that work out for us? Can't let up. Got to win them all.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT