ADVERTISEMENT

So What Happens This Thursday

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
And we get another academic as our next president who probably only knows what little he/she may have been told by Mr Ferrell and/or Jeff O’Malley and is not prepared to make any decisions regarding a conference switch. Just wondering.

Chris Vannini

@ChrisVannini

A little Sun Belt expansion update. Old Dominion news should come in a few days, Marshall by the end of the week and James Madison later next week, sources tell @TheAthletic. The Sun Belt is confident it’ll add all three, but some processes to still go through.

Among those processes, Marshall is naming a new president this week and JMU needs to present its plan to the state commission.

The president of the UNIVERSITY should be an academic.
The President of Marshall University does not need to be an academic. A university is a business. The President needs to be the leader of all of the various department heads of the school. While the President does need to be knowledgeable to a certain degree about the entire university, let the department heads do their thing. A successful CEO should be able to be successful running any business.

The President of Marshall University does not need to be an academic. A university is a business. The President needs to be the leader of all of the various department heads of the school. While the President does need to be knowledgeable to a certain degree about the entire university, let the department heads do their thing. A successful CEO should be able to be successful running any business.
Let's see. What was more important in aiding Brad Smith achieving what he has to this point in the world of business; What he accomplished at Marshall University as an "athlete" or what he did during his time at Marshall in the classroom and in the realm of "academics"? Ummmm, a very "tough" choice, guys!

Let's see. What was more important in aiding Brad Smith achieving what he has to this point in the world of business; What he accomplished at Marshall University as an "athlete" or what he did during his time at Marshall in the classroom and in the realm of "academics"? Ummmm, a very "tough" choice, guys!
You missed my point. I don't know what Brad Smith accomplished at Marshall as an "athlete" or an "academic." I just know that he has proven that he is able to lead a company to great success.

It doesn't matter who they name as president on Thursday, that decision has already been made and probably has been made for at least a week to 10 days. That person, whoever they may be, Im certain has been kept abreast of the conference realignment and is aware of what is going on.

In all honesty it makes great timing for whomever the new president is... Have your "I'm so excited to be here" press conference on Thursday and then on Friday afternoon get in front of the mic again with the "It's time to lead Marshall into a new era of athletics as a member of the Sun Belt Conference" presser. Get two feel good, hyped up, I've got a plan, media events in two days.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
This. The University president is in place to lead, manage and delegate so the school can run efficiently. The president doesn't have to be an academic, the Provost is a more important role academically and that will be a crucial hire for Smith. His experience will more than make up for his so called "lack" of academic background. This is very important time for Marshall, with less state money and a tight budget, the school needs a leader and someone well versed in managing people and budgets, Smith should do well in that role. jmho

Reactions: caliherd
Purdue went the less traditional route with Mitch Daniels and it's been an interesting tenure.
He's tried some things with acquisition and global expansion to varying degrees of success.
I wouldn't mind having an "outsider" take the job and see what can happen.

I would assume whoever is selected is onboard with whatever happens (SBC/CUSA).
The check needs to be cut to exit no? That would be the bigger the status update for me.

I have no idea who will be president.

As to the SBC, there simply will be no announcement. MU, at the behest of the basketball office, will slowly fall out of the rumor mills for realignment issues, and within a few weeks deny that any discussions ever took place and tell the few who will still be listening that CUSA was where where we always wanted to be.

As to the SBC, there simply will be no announcement. MU, at the behest of the basketball office, will slowly fall out of the rumor mills for realignment issues, and within a few weeks deny that any discussions ever took place and tell the few who will still be listening that CUSA was where where we always wanted to be.
Marshall is headed to the Sunbelt Conference.

Then why aren’t we there? Why are we taking a chance that the offers will change?
Buddy the offer isn't changing. Marshall to the SBC is the worst kept secret. All the SBC fans on the SBC board have said it's a done deal and most several national sports reporters have said it's going to be announced following the hire of our president.

Brad smith is introduced as president and announces the move to sunbelt and The faculty rep on BoG pitches a hissy fit
Exactly. The faculty rep will be the only dissenting vote. Obviously the vote has been taken in order for the new president (Brad Smith) to be in town on Thursday

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Brad smith is introduced as president and announces the move to sunbelt and The faculty rep on BoG pitches a hissy fit
Their reaction probably something like this.

triggered-angry.gif

Heck of a chance to take.
I see both sides. We aren’t Harvard so honestly academics aren’t going to change much no matter what. Smith can obviously manage people and businesses. There is some carry over into the academic side of things. If he surrounds himself with good academics and can focus on growing Marshall the brand and increase enrollment then great. If not we are still in a poor state with declining population

Exaclty, who's to say Smith can't work with the faculty and assemble a team, lead by the new Provost to grow the school and continue our ascent academically. The fact he is not an academic doesn't hurt the school one bit. It's about how he manages, delegates, and his relationship/communication with the faculty and staff.

Last edited:

I would have thought you are smarter than that. You should at least have an idea….it’s a lock

The ability to lead can be improved and refined, but it can’t be taught. If a person with innate abilities attends Marshall, they can become a leader. If someone without those abilities attends Harvard they still won’t be able to lead.

I have long held that unless you are going into a highly specific, technical field it really doesn’t matter where you go to college. In the business world you learn more in your first 12 months on the job than you did in 4 or 6 years of college. It all comes back to your ability to process information in a useful manner and apply it appropriately. Again, that is something that can be refined and improved, but it can’t be taught.
A person like Brad Smith is a product of his personal drive coupled with his innate leadership and reasoning abilities. His college education was inconsequential to his success. See examples like Bill Gates as proof.

College helps the average become slightly above average or may spark an unmotivated person by making them aware of something to be passionate about, but college can’t make you smart or make you a leader.

what chance
The non-zero chance that something will change (such as the rumor now gaining credence that the AAC will be further raided by the “Big” 12) between now and then; and the non-zero chance that someone is lying to someone else and will change the deal at the last minute.

That is why you get it locked down, signed, gold seal applied, notarized, and the full force of the American legal system enforcing it.

Remember the first ACC expansion. Syracuse was a “lock”. Until the Virginia government demanded they take Virginia Tech instead. Bet Syracuse wished they had it in writing.

If you’re so confident that DD is sabotaging things and we won’t be going to the Sun Belt, would you be willing to make a wager?

I’ll bet you $500 that Marshall will become a member of the Sun Belt.

Reactions: ohio herd
I would need odds. While I know that DD is working hard against this, his powers are not unlimited. I would say its a 1 in 20 to 1 in 25 shot that DD gets his way.

All I am saying is get it in writing and lock it down. Then its a zero chance DD gets his way, and he can either accept it, or retire, which is a win all around.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
The president of the UNIVERSITY should be an academic.
The president of the University should be a football coach. The football team is the front porch and the academic institution is the house. No one wants to come near the house if the front porch looks like crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT