ADVERTISEMENT

soccer spending

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
This has been floating around Facebook this week, so I don't warrant the accuracy.

Men's soccer budget. $2.23M. That is 9th in country. Only out-spent by Syracuse ($2.78M, the biggest spender), Clemson, Indiana, Notre Dame, Washington, Wake Forest, Maryland, and Southern Methodist.

Men's soccer live gate. 2,198. Only outdrawn by Maryland and Clemson.

Considering all of those schools, save SMU (which charges $62K/year tuition) are flush with P4 cash, it is impressive.

Winning matters... It always has, it always will.

If you told me when I was at Marshall almost two decades ago that I would be making plans to attend soccer games as an adult I would have told you to jump in a lake. But we all like to be around a winning program, and so do our dollars (and the university's dollars apparently).

If you told me when I was at Marshall almost two decades ago that I would be making plans to attend soccer games as an adult I would have told you to jump in a lake. But we all like to be around a winning program, and so do our dollars (and the university's dollars apparently).
Hate to say it in a way but I enjoy going to the soccer games more than any sport these days. Just a better vibe and fun. Jmho

This has been floating around Facebook this week, so I don't warrant the accuracy.

Men's soccer budget. $2.23M. That is 9th in country. Only out-spent by Syracuse ($2.78M, the biggest spender), Clemson, Indiana, Notre Dame, Washington, Wake Forest, Maryland, and Southern Methodist.

Considering all of those schools, save SMU (which charges $62K/year tuition) are flush with P4 cash, it is impressive.
what's impressive? that we spent over $1000 per fan? if you use those same metrics (home fans x $1000 per fan) the football budget should be $153 million!!! Dont tell Huff!

MU soccer is my favorite MU sport to attend. Game atmosphere great, team excellent, great facility and a fun few hours to enjoy a few cold ones and enjoy the Herd.

so I don't warrant the accuracy.
You’ve never cared about that before.

False. The graphic you’re looking at also shows Indiana drawing more fans. Further, another Sun Belt team (South Carolina) drew 4300 fans per home game, tops in the nation and fifth highest all-time.

MU soccer is my favorite MU sport to attend. Game atmosphere great, team excellent, great facility and a fun few hours to enjoy a few cold ones and enjoy the Herd.
Me too.
Football, with all the media TO's and most of the offenses over the past 20+ years, is boring as hell.
Basketball 4-5 years ago was entertaining, but with all the empty high priced seats near the court, the atmosphere is nowhere near where it should be.
Baseball might become a good watch in the future. The stadium is a really good facility for watching a game.

what's impressive? that we spent over $1000 per fan? if you use those same metrics (home fans x $1000 per fan) the football budget should be $153 million!!! Dont tell Huff!
We draw 2,200 per game, so that’s about $1,000 per average attendance. Football spent $14.6 million last year and averaged about 23,000. The equivalent would be a a budget of $23MM, approximately.

We draw 2,200 per game, so that’s about $1,000 per average attendance. Football spent $14.6 million last year and averaged about 23,000. The equivalent would be a a budget of $23MM, approximately.
So football needs almost 2x their budget to be equivalent to soccer! No wonder FB struggles!

We supposedly increased the football budget by about 1 mil. when Huff was hired, new staff positions, new training table. Schewey improvements, new scoreboard. All = less results. We could spend 10 million more and it would not assure us of anything. Look at all the P5 schools that spend double of what we do and get nowhere. Football is fine. Its all coaching. JMU proves that.

Irrelevant need to spend more to get soccer like results
No, we dont... When we won the national championship in soccer we weren't spending nearly what we are now. We had the right coach, who recruited the right players for his system, and did something we have never seen before at MU (a Division I national title)... We didn't increase our soccer spending into the top tier nationally until we saw results. Grassie got a raise, his assistants got a raise, etc because they were/are proven winners and because we started selling out home games, drawing national recognition, etc.

Its not apples to apples when we talk about football... We are never going to keep up with the top 50-60 football programs in the country in terms of spending... Bama, Texas, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc have resources we can only dream of in terms of paying players (NIL), facilities, etc. We need to be at our above our peers in terms of spending (which we are).

Irrelevant need to spend more to get soccer like results
As noted above, the soccer budget increased when the team started winning. Why? More asses in the seats and more donations. People like to spend on a winner. If football were competing for conference and national titles, their budget would see an increase. Winning = money.

I am understand arithmetic is over your head

t__EKdRtj9goUJvf0eR1v8XF_zdEFRFTlBIy3E8ucatv3oS06WNKOWW7JV004IzDMAZ1HFAp0c90N2UHHg1ABmCDDhlIbSMXOkR3rIx3hd_bQbIGGB-70tUzIIDsiqg52tbAyqY_e9q1mDuuuNI4UqNnJ_B5

I am understand arithmetic is over your head
Apparently logic and common sense doesn't work for you since everyone is telling you you're (to put it politely) misunderstanding how to manage a team, let alone an athletic department.

Do everyone a favor and remove yourself from the board until you get therapy for your illogical hatred towards MU's AD.

Here’s a fun fact. Ohio State and Alabama together spend more on football than the entire 14 members of the SBC. That doesn’t include NIL, which only makes the gap wider.

We are never going to get “soccer type results” in football no matter how much we try to spend. What we should be getting is better than last place in the east when we already outspend 12 of the 13 other teams in the conference.

What we should be getting is better than last place in the east
Marshall really didn't. In looking at the Sun Belt's multi-team tie-breaker, the first two tie-breaking determinants still leaves a multi-team tie. The third one looks at the record against the next highest team (Old Dominion). Both Georgia State and Georgia Southern lost to ODU while Marshall beat them, so Marshall would be fifth out of seven teams in the east.

* This tie-breaker set of rules is for determining division champions, so you could technically argue that it doesn't work the same for teams outside of being tied atop the division, but for this discussion, it's the reasonable and fair way to do it.

Apparently logic and common sense doesn't work for you since everyone is telling you you're (to put it politely) misunderstanding how to manage a team, let alone an athletic department.

Do everyone a favor and remove yourself from the board until you get therapy for your illogical hatred towards MU's AD.
there are more on this board, anti Spears than there are pro Spears.

There are people who don't agree with him, those who do, both of which are fine.

Then there's you...who literally finds anything they can irrationally blame the AD for anything and everything.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
There are people who don't agree with him, those who do, both of which are fine.

Then there's you...who literally finds anything they can irrationally blame the AD for anything and everything.
The buck stops here I love living rent free in your head

And then, guys, there is HERD Basketball!!

After a DECADE of overall barely over .500 basketball and general MEDIOCRITY under High School D'Antoni, MU's roundball program has nowhere to go but up, after finishing Season 10 under "Dandy Dan" with something like 21 losses overall and a 7-11 conference record. Make no mistake that despite talk of "safety", lack of handrailing along steps in the "nosebleed" sections of the CAM, etc., etc., the real reason for the presence of tarps in the arena was the LACK OF DEMAND for tickets to watch the pathetic game performances of Danny Boy's teams after a decade of his so-called "tutelage"!!
I distinctly remember years when MU was putting 10,000 plus in the CAM's seats and never did such "concerns" ever come up!!

Heck, if Danny had stayed around much longer, NO doubt the school would have been forced to bring the Tarps down to within about 3 or 4 rows up from the floor, to preserve the illusion of full houses and the notion of "great demand" on the part of the general public and the MU community to view more "HILLBILLY BALL"!!!

Baseball and Soccer notwithstanding, a top and real clue to shoring up MU Athletics financially is greatly increasing demand for tickets, meaning more revenue $$$$, in Men's basketball and in Football. Doing so mainly involves fielding teams in BOTH sports that are Highly Competitive and Competent year in and year out. Teams who are vying and in the hunt season after season for Conference Championships in their respective sports and also appearing more often than not in quality post season play!! That is not the current status of said MU teams currently and hasn't been over the last several years!!

Last edited:
Yes. Although I would term it anti-cabal than pro-cabal, which is to say pro-success than stand patism.

There is nothing "irrational" about any of it. Either you think keeping DD, and then letting him pick his own successor, who, apparently, had been named "coach in waiting" at some undisclosed time in the past, or you don't. Either you think keeping CH was good, or not, and either you think the next hire should be made by the cabal, or in the open public process other schools use. Either you think doing the same old thing is OK, or you don't. Either you think it is CS job to get a I-A opponent to replace Army, or you are fine with a directional state.

It is that simple.

Fire CS.

Reactions: sluggo72
Hard to believe we still have people still butthurt over Doc and MH getting shown the door. Move on and hope we can have success as a program; it's bigger than one man.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Hard to believe we still have people still butthurt over Doc and MH getting shown the door. Move on and hope we can have success as a program; it's bigger than one man.

It's more that people are seeing what they wanted and assured themselves as being better, hasn't yielded the results they expected.

I agree. But it's like people hope for failure so they can say - I told you so.

No doubt. MU fans would sell their kids to traffickers if it meant they'd win an argument on here. I never understood why people want to be so right at the expense of failure.

I think what's worse is when MU isn't entirely perfect in some way, they put that on the same level as failure. Its a method of being condescending that must take more effort than it's worth.

Also if they don't like someone...they'll never accept them, ever.

. MU fans would sell their kids to traffickers if it meant they'd win an argument on here. I never understood why people want to be so right at the expense of failure.
Sports, politics, whatever, this is the poorest line of comeback there is.

Someone posts facts and logic. CS isn't getting the job done, the current office holder in X office's policies have been tried before and don't work, you cannot make electricity out of X in commercially viable amounts, social welfare policy X doesn't actually help people, building a road from A to B won't actually relieve traffic, Little Suzy doesn't study enough, whatever.

Then the awful comeback. "well you just want (Marshall, America, West Virginia, Huntington, poor people, children, whatever) to fail so you can be right on the internet."

Umm, nope. We just live in the real world. Rah-rah-rah Perkins level cheerleading is childish. It is not that we want CS (politician X, scientist X, urban planner X, Little Suzy, whoever) to fail so we can have a nice round of "told ya so" on the internet. It is that we understand the issues and have the facts and the logic. In MU terms that means understanding CS and CH need to go.

Not so we can be "right on the internet", not because we "want" MU to fail, not because of any ego issues. No, simply because we understand the issues. CH and CS are not the men for these jobs.

Someone posts facts and logic. CS isn't getting the job done, the current office holder in X office's policies have been tried before and don't work, you cannot make electricity out of X in commercially viable amounts, social welfare policy X doesn't actually help people, building a road from A to B won't actually relieve traffic, Little Suzy doesn't study enough, whatever.

Then the awful comeback. "well you just want (Marshall, America, West Virginia, Huntington, poor people, children, whatever) to fail so you can be right on the internet."

Umm, nope. We just live in the real world. Rah-rah-rah Perkins level cheerleading is childish. It is not that we want CS (politician X, scientist X, urban planner X, Little Suzy, whoever) to fail so we can have a nice round of "told ya so" on the internet. It is that we understand the issues and have the facts and the logic. In MU terms that means understanding CS and CH need to go.

Not so we can be "right on the internet", not because we "want" MU to fail, not because of any ego issues. No, simply because we understand the issues. CH and CS are not the men for these jobs.
now do your take on the baseball stadium coming to fruition.

now do your take on the baseball stadium coming to fruition.
I know that you are trying to be funny and rude, but you actually make my point. Yes, I was only right the first 1000 times about the baseball stadium. I was wrong once.

As to HerdGuy04's comment, did I want to be "right" a 1001st time at the expense of MU?

No. Glad BIg Jim Justice accomplished us a baseball stadium. Thanks, Big Jim.

So you're calling someone, who has been at the helm for two years, ill equipped for the job?
Football head coaches get more time to build programs and Spears has done far better.

It all boils down to they doing something you don't like, usually one single thing. In Sluggs case, Spears fired his lover for underachieving.
In your case, he didn't fire D'Antoni or Huff.

I don't agree with either being retained, I can see why Huff would be in terms of finances however.

The problem is you take it so damn personally.
Get over it.

I know that you are trying to be funny and rude, but you actually make my point. Yes, I was only right the first 1000 times about the baseball stadium. I was wrong once.

As to HerdGuy04's comment, did I want to be "right" a 1001st time at the expense of MU?

The difference is, many on here admitted MU and Spears got the job done.

Much like criticisms of the coaches winning games they shouldn't, "it's not really the coach. It's (insert player) as the reason."

You're still in denial MU ever actually built the stadium themselves.

It sucks, but every now and then someone you don't like or agree with, actually does something on their own, successfully, and totally against your expectations.

You want to be right at the expense of your own credibility...whatever's left of it.

The difference is, many on here admitted MU and Spears got the job done.
Big Jim Justice.
You're still in denial MU ever actually built the stadium themselves.
Big Jim Justice.
It sucks, but every now and then someone you don't like or agree with, actually does something on their own, successfully, and totally against your expectations.
Actually I pretty much agree with Big Jim Justice on most things. He did a great job with the MU baseball stadium, that is for sure.
You want to be right at the expense of your own credibility...whatever's left of it.
I answered that above. Try being quiet and learning something.

Blah blah blah stick to TV and wvu bashing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT