ADVERTISEMENT

Something Overlooked...

It's not just a FAU thing. Many MLB and NFL teams, like the Packers and Yankees, are doing similar things.

I agree that it's annoying and unneeded. It gives a amateurish feel to the game experience.

Duke has had those for about 5-6 years. They only use them pregame and sometime between qtrs.

The few times that I've seen it in person or on TV it was cool, and that was during a Braves game. Whenever there was a pitching change, they would dim the lights and everyone would do The Chop with their cell phone's in flashlight mode. Last night was just annoying.

Reactions: Sash19
Anybody watch the exciting nail biter tonight in Happy Valley between Penn State and Meechegin? They apparently have installed the above discussed lighting system in Beaver Stadium!!!

A better idea would be to take the money you're going to waste on these lights and put it into the program and the program's athletic services to help the student-athletes achieve better outcomes.
Absolutely. This shit is where college sports are going off the rails. It’s like an enabling parent giving kids what they want instead of what they need. Schools are competing to fulfill the “wants” because the “needs” aren’t nearly as sexy. The shit is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Absolutely. This shit is where college sports are going off the rails. It’s like an enabling parent giving kids what they want instead of what they need. Schools are competing to fulfill the “wants” because the “needs” aren’t nearly as sexy. The shit is getting ridiculous.

True.
However, given what the schools make off the student athletes, is it unfair for them to have these "wants"?
I'm not sure how many of the athletes went to the AD and said, "We request some specific LED lighting in order to improve our gameday atmosphere that...uh...we can only use at night."
But I'm sure the schools do want to cater heavily to convenient means for them.

True.
However, given what the schools make off the student athletes, is it unfair for them to have these "wants"?
I'm not sure how many of the athletes went to the AD and said, "We request some specific LED lighting in order to improve our gameday atmosphere that...uh...we can only use at night."
But I'm sure the schools do want to cater heavily to convenient means for them.

Last I checked Marshall wasn't making any money off their student athletes. In fact, they were contributing several million dollars annually to allow them to play.

Last I checked Marshall wasn't making any money off their student athletes. In fact, they were contributing several million dollars annually to allow them to play.

Sorry, should have been more specific.
The elite P5 are making money off their student athletes so should it be so bad if there are some "wants" thrown in there? Even if they are excessive and often not even needed.
Yee, even CUSA has these...why? I don't know...MTSU and FAU do that I know of...and their tiny attendance numbers don't justify their need.

However, to me, its a real wonder for Penn State and Alabama to have them.
As if their gameday atmosphere isn't already at its peak or can be topped...are the fans bored in those games as well?!

Looks to me like they upgraded their stadiums lighting system to a state-of-the-art LED system, and these lighting effects are merely an option of the improved technology.

I think it's kinda dumb and a potential problem for folks with migraines or epilepsy, but I don't think this feature represents an additional cost, or a reason to gripe from that standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT