ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Miss

Lonnie Warwick. :rolleyes:

LONNIE WARWICK
...I grew up near Sam (as we called him).....and when I was in grade school I would carry his football helmet during the walk from The Gym to the Stadium. I still visit him when I return to Mt. Hope for Julibee weekend each September. Sadly, his sister Susie, passed this week after a short illness. I could share some stories too when Sam was playing for the NFL Vikings ---he told us while "drinking a few with him and his high school friends." Sam had great stories to share and most were as funny as hell....like the time he wiped Viking QB Joe Kapp's ass. If you were in Sam's company...you were safe from anyone in the bar......he was one bad-ass!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: Marine03
I always figured they would combine into one big one, but the politics in Fayette County won't allow them to get anything done. The current plan, is to consolidate Fayetteville into Oak Hill. Meadow Bridge may or may not shut down, but if they do, they'll have the option of going to either Oak Hill, Trail or Greenbrier West. Valley High is also closing, and those students can opt to go to Oak Hill, Trail, or Riverside. I agree with your thoughts of combining the four schools, but they would be a decent sized AAA with the addition of Trail and Fayetteville. I always figured that's what they would end up doing, and likely naming it Fayette Plateau High. Rafters or Rivermen likely candidates for nickname. Anything but Mountaineers.

I like the name..... New River "Rafters" high school.... because of the river rafting (money maker) done on the New River & the Gauley River. I agree...NO Mountaineers nickname.

HerdZilla22

Hope Ralph's health is still good...your Mom's too.....Did you attend Woodrow? Ooops...you already stated you are a MUSTANG,. My bad!

Zilla22

Actually I went to Woodrow, then left for Independence. I still lived in Raleigh County. Ed Souck begged me to play football at Mt. Hope, but they did not have baseball or wrestling so I didn’t go. Both parents are doing well

Actually I went to Woodrow, then left for Independence. I still lived in Raleigh County. Ed Souck begged me to play football at Mt. Hope, but they did not have baseball or wrestling so I didn’t go. Both parents are doing well

Did you play for Coach Goddard (baseball) at Independence? I never UNDERSTOOD why Mt Hope never had a wrestling program....for that matter, a baseball team. Our only baseball option after Babe Ruth was to play American Legion at Fayetteville. Had I not had such a layoff...I think I could have played baseball at Marshall. Mt. Hope would have been a natural for wrestling.

Zilla22

Last edited:
Did you play for Coach Goddard (baseball) at Independence? I never UNDERSTOOD why Mt Hope never had a wrestling program....for that matter, a baseball team. Our only baseball option after Babe Ruth was to play American Legion at Fayetteville. Had I not had such a long layoff...I think I could have played baseball at Marshall. Mt. Hope would have been a natural for wrestling.

Zilla22

I did play for Joe, he was an awesome coach

We used to play both Sophia and Stoco High Schools. They weren't worth a damn in football and basketball, but they were ass kickers in baseball, especially Sophia.

Reactions: Marine03
Retired and is the assistant head coach for the WV Miners prospect team in Beckley. I got to spend some time with him over July 4th at the game

I need to come to Beckley sometime and take in a Miners game. Would love to see Joe. A good friend of mine (we coached together at Charlotte Christian)...is the new skipper for the Gastonia Grizzlies. Not sure, but I think they play the Miners?

Zilla22

I need to come to Beckley sometime and take in a Miners game. Would love to see Joe. A good friend of mine (we coached together at Charlotte Christian)...is the new skipper for the Gastonia Grizzlies. Not sure, but I think they play the Miners?

Zilla22

Not sure a lot of kids have come through that program

Yep....me and Captain Morgan getting a head start on Turkey Day...uh huh. The HERD usually beats So Miss....for some strange reason....Marshall is 5--1 in the last 6 meetings....

Zilla22
Southern Miss has had three of the worst teams in our history in that span. 12-2, 0-12, 1-11, 3-8, 7-6. Y'all beat us during that 12-2 season. We had 6 turnovers in that miserable game. USM will have to prove to me they can beat y'all. It should be a good game this year. Our fans respect your program. We never know week to week who will show up on our end. :)

nceaglefan fear not. We have been and can be just terrible. Never sure if all or part of the Herd will show up. If it comes down to coaching Southern Miss wins easily. Good luck to you Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT