ADVERTISEMENT

SPEED

no, it started because kap had the cajones to (quietly) bring attention to important issues this country still refuses to accept and deal with - racism and cops (some, not all) who literally get away with murder of innocent victims
Ok so kneeling during the anthem during a football game does that? Bull shit. THe same guy who wears che guevara shirts? Great role model

Ok so kneeling during the anthem during a football game does that? Bull shit. THe same guy who wears che guevara shirts? Great role model
I like this YAGs guy, but at the same time, it saddens me to see him in the same cheering secton with the likes of Greed, dherd, and now Toes.

I like this YAGs guy, but at the same time, it saddens me to see him in the same cheering secton with the likes of Greed, dherd, and now Toes.
I like him too. He is a good sport and good guy. But, he does align himself with the lefties.

All this talk about the other verses of the National Anthem are really off-point. There may be 3 people in the US who could recite the proceeding verses, and likely over half of Americans who don't even know they exist. For all intents and purposes, the National Anthem just has the one verse we all know.

Also, the words of the Anthem were not the impetus for the NFL protest in the first place. It was simply a matter of having an issue with honoring and respecting a country that hasn't always honored and respected ALL it's citizens equally. It was peaceful, and respectful in it's own way.

For those who pull the "disrespecting the military" card, I say this: The National Anthem does not belong to the military any more than it does to every citizen in the country. I was never in the military, though I have great respect for those who have served. I'm a teacher. I'd like to believe that the National Anthem stands for me as well. Kneeling during the anthem does not disrespect the military any more than it disrespects teachers, hairdressers, insurance salesmen, or football coaches. Kneeling is a personal statement that hurts no one. It has brought awareness of issues that need to be talked about. The protest was an opportunity for our president to bring us closer together, to respect and understand the ways people are often treated differently in this country. Instead, he chose to further divide us. I'm not trashing our president here. I'm just saying he missed a great opportunity for progress.

On a tangent note: At my high school, we say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning to start the day. A little overkill, I think. But I have said it every day. Even the part about "under God," even though I have no such belief. Not all of our students stand for the Pledge, as is their right. I certainly can't, and wouldn't, force them to stand. But I've always shared with them why I stand. I have told my students over three decades that I stand for the Pledge of Allegiance because I don't have to. That is to say, that although I don't agree with every thing my country has done or continues to do, I appreciate the fact that I live somewhere where I am not REQUIRED to stand. I appreciate the choice. And so I stand to respect the freedom I have to not stand. Until recently. Our president has weighed in and said that I'm unAmerican if I don't stand. That I should be required to stand. That I shouldn't have a choice. I no longer tell students anything. I continue to stand (quietly now) every day. But I understand why someone may choose not to.

Last edited:
First, it isn't the "extended national anthem." It is the original national anthem, one which isn't fully recited regularly simply due to the length of it.

Next, "slave" is pretty much defined as "people that were kidnapped and forced to do things against their will." So, yes, that term applied to anyone who was under that situation. Now, tell me just who exactly was kidnapped, held against their will, and forced to do something who also were fighting in the war? Let me help you out - blacks who were slaves, hence his reference to them as "slaves." He clearly separated those who were getting paid with their fighting as hirelings compared with slaves who were fighting for the promise of their freedom.

So, if Scott Key was not referring to the black slaves who had escaped and were fighting for the British under the promise of freedom, who exactly was he referring to who were "kidnapped and forced to do things against their will?" Exactly.

Why would anyone trust you about anything? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about on any topic you have intruded on in your short history on here.

How old are you?

The slaves he is referring to is AMERICANS period..!!! The brits kidnapped Americans and it was Americans that became slaves to the British he does mean just blacks that were slaves in the US but any American that was caught and forced to fight for the British... the brits didn’t just go to some woodshed and steal black people that took anyone they could.... quit trying to add to it.. and even if he did mean just blacks, which he does not, he saying to you through his words that the events that happened that he saw were so bad for all that were not brits... the hate was towards the brits and the simple fact they caught Americans and used them for war made him write that not even they could find refuge... in other words there was no hiding from the horrible events ... dude read up on your history ..... the National anthem is far from racist, once you realize that you will live much longer... don’t over think it .... NAACP is only out for one reason doesn’t mean there always right...

My age isn’t of importance in this convo... but clearly I’m old enough to know the National anthem does not say death to blacks...

All this talk about the other verses of the National Anthem are really off-point. There may be 3 people in the US who could recite the proceeding verses, and likely over half of Americans who don't even know they exist. For all intents and purposes, the National Anthem just has the one verse we all know.

Also, the words of the Anthem were not the impetus for the NFL protest in the first place. It was simply a matter of having an issue with honoring and respecting a country that hasn't always honored and respected ALL it's citizens equally. It was peaceful, and respectful in it's own way.

For those who pull the "disrespecting the military" card, I say this: The National Anthem does not belong to the military any more than it does to every citizen in the country. I was never in the military, though I have great respect for those who have served. I'm a teacher. I'd like to believe that the National Anthem stands for me as well. Kneeling during the anthem does not disrespect the military any more than it disrespects teachers, hairdressers, insurance salesmen, or football coaches. Kneeling is a personal statement that hurts no one. It has brought awareness of issues that need to be talked about. The protest was an opportunity for our president to bring us closer together, to respect and understand the ways people are often treated differently in this country. Instead, he chose to further divide us. I'm not trashing our president here. I'm just saying he missed a great opportunity for progress.

On a tangent note: At my high school, we say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning to start the day. A little overkill, I think. But I have said it every day. Even the part about "under God," even though I have no such belief. Not all of our students stand for the Pledge, as is their right. I certainly can't, and wouldn't, force them to stand. But I've always shared with them why I stand. I have told my students over three decades that I stand for the Pledge of Allegiance because I don't have to. That is to say, that although I don't agree with every thing my country has done or continues to do, I appreciate the fact that I live somewhere where I am not REQUIRED to stand. I appreciate the choice. And so I stand to respect the freedom I have to not stand. Until recently. Our president has weighed in and said that I'm unAmerican if I don't stand. That I should be required to stand. That I shouldn't have a choice. I no longer tell students anything. I continue to stand (quietly now) every day. But I understand why someone may choose not to.

Sorry to hear your sad story... do you live in California..?

On the flip side, a guy like kapernick missed an opporunity as well. People look up to pro ball players, especially quarterbacks. He could have brought sides together. He could have used his fame to go talk to police and community leaders and brought them together. Instead, he chose to kneel during the anthem. That alone is going to put off a lot of the population. It is also disrespectful and brought negative attention, not constructive attention.

The simple fact your posting that someone should have the option to sit or stand for the pledge tells me a lot about yourself and then you just so happen to shine light of the fact that you don’t believe in god tells me a lot about you as well .. then you tell me students sit in your presents during the pledge tells me your one weak spined individual that don’t have any guts to tell the youth that clearly need adult guidance for what’s right like standing for the pledge of allegiance to our flag.. or standing for our anthem when it is played.. no wonder our country is in the shape it’s no.. be a man/woman and stand for what right.. bring back paddles and the reading of the Bible like it use to be..!

The simple fact your posting that someone should have the option to sit or stand for the pledge tells me a lot about yourself and then you just so happen to shine light of the fact that you don’t believe in god tells me a lot about you as well .. then you tell me students sit in your presents during the pledge tells me your one weak spined individual that don’t have any guts to tell the youth that clearly need adult guidance for what’s right like standing for the pledge of allegiance to our flag.. or standing for our anthem when it is played.. no wonder our country is in the shape it’s no.. be a man/woman and stand for what right.. bring back paddles and the reading of the Bible like it use to be..!

First off, I'm not a liberal. Me posting that someone has the option to sit or stand for the Pledge really says nothing about me. It's simply a fact. There is no law to stand; there is no punishment for not standing. I think that is one of the great things about this country. You obviously do not. I don't really think you would be happy in a country that MADE you stand, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I have been teaching for 33 years, but I don't claim to have all the answers. I'm always happy to learn something. I'm curious as to what you think I should do when a teenager sits for the Pledge. Again, personally I always stand. But what would you do? And don't just tell me what you would say. Tell me what you would do when they still refused.

I am an atheist. Sorry if that offends you. I won't bore you with my religious journey. Suffice it to say that I spent many years very immersed in the church, and I tried very hard to find my faith. In the end I did not. Is that also something you feel my country should have a say in?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan

It sounds like you hate any kind of personal freedom.

It also seems like you hate the English language, since you butchered it mercilessly.

Didn’t know we had so many liberals on here... I’m out

21b.jpg

I would probably go have a beer with Vick. I would not want to sit in the same room as Caperdick

I already knew your answer. You'd rather have a beer with a convicted felon than a peaceful protester. You've got your moral priorities in great shape. bravo

Bring back better English education. For f'uck's sake, is this guy for real?

If you want to argue slaves weren't really black, please do some studying up on Francis Scott Key (he is the writer of the Star-Spangled Banner (the National Anthem)). Yes, I had to specify both of those.

And you really think the Civil War was fought over cotton?

Wow!

this is about the difference between game speed and 40 speed at the combine.
and talks about how fast different players run in mph during games. its pretty interesting.

but, if you want to get political about it - I personally ( and 75% of the country)
would not be led around by the nose by a man who is known to be mentally
unstable and dumb as a brick - Donald trump.
but, if you choose to let a fool dictate
your thoughts go right ahead. it says way more about you than it does the nfl.
he did exactly that to the players. fans reactions were to the players whose reactions were to donald trump.

Last edited:

The simple fact you believe people should be forced to stand and recite the Pledge tells me a lot about your lack of belief in freedom.

And I am always a little surprised when someone with ties to WV doesn't know about West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette. I guess 1943 is now ancient history. But I've always loved this sentence from the decision: "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

As a school kid I stopped reciting the Pledge as a senior in high school. And it was a small principled stand for me. I realized first that my allegiance is to the Constitution and not the flag. Demanding allegiance to a flag is pretty despotic IMO. And I realized we never have and do not have "liberty and justice for all." I think we strive to get there, but it's a road we are still travelling. Anyway, I guess I grew up enough to know I shouldn't be placing my hand over my heart and swearing some BS I didn't believe. I still stood up, because I am not a jerk.

Reactions: JudgeDD
Bring back better English education. For f'uck's sake, is this guy for real?

If you want to argue slaves weren't really black, please do some studying up on Francis Scott Key (he is the writer of the Star-Spangled Banner (the National Anthem)). Yes, I had to specify both of those.

And you really think the Civil War was fought over cotton?

Wow!
yes, so you can enroll. if you're going to play grammar cop, clean your house first.

now, please lecture me on capitalization.

Reactions: 19MU88
"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

We (USA) don't always get it right, but there are times when, without doubt, we say it right. Beautiful words.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
We (USA) don't always get it right, but there are times when, without doubt, we say it right. Beautiful words.
I agree. I am a Christian but do not think we need the Government telling us what we should be doing in terms of faith or politics. As much as I liked the days when we had prayer in school things are different now. I certainly wouldn't want my kids to be forced to pray to Allah or any other Deity that others may worship.There are things I don't like(kneeling for the pledge) but decided not to get my feathers ruffled cause someone I disagree with. I wish more people felt this way. I am conservative but am surrounded by a sea of liberals. They are very unforgiving of anyone who holds a different view. I hope the day will come when we can get back to reasoned discourse about the issues that separate us so we can pull together cause God only knows we need each other if we want this country to thrive.

The simple fact you believe people should be forced to stand and recite the Pledge tells me a lot about your lack of belief in freedom.

And I am always a little surprised when someone with ties to WV doesn't know about West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette. I guess 1943 is now ancient history. But I've always loved this sentence from the decision: "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

As a school kid I stopped reciting the Pledge as a senior in high school. And it was a small principled stand for me. I realized first that my allegiance is to the Constitution and not the flag. Demanding allegiance to a flag is pretty despotic IMO. And I realized we never have and do not have "liberty and justice for all." I think we strive to get there, but it's a road we are still travelling. Anyway, I guess I grew up enough to know I shouldn't be placing my hand over my heart and swearing some BS I didn't believe. I still stood up, because I am not a jerk.
I don't believe people should be forced to do it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or like them.

Vick is a horrible human being. I may or may not agree with Kap, but I'd take him over a psycho that tortured and killed dogs. That's despicable.
so are commies.

I will take Vick. Doesn't mean I agree with Vick or would normally hang out with a guy like that. But, no way I am having a beer with Copperneck

I am conservative but am surrounded by a sea of liberals. They are very unforgiving of anyone who holds a different view.

That is quite interesting. As a progressive living in WV I am surrounded by conservatives and Trump voters. I too believe that conservatives are very unforgiving in their beliefs, only care about themselves, and want to force their beliefs upon everyone. I imagine you'll disagree with that statement as much as I disagree with yours...

Reactions: extragreen
so are commies.

I will take Vick. Doesn't mean I agree with Vick or would normally hang out with a guy like that. But, no way I am having a beer with Copperneck

Dude, are you just trying to be funny?

I'd rather drink with a murderer than Vick. Sometimes there's a good reason for murder. There's no good reason to torture and kill dogs. That's evil. Politics is just politics.

That is quite interesting. As a progressive living in WV I am surrounded by conservatives and Trump voters. I too believe that conservatives are very unforgiving in their beliefs, only care about themselves, and want to force their beliefs upon everyone. I imagine you'll disagree with that statement as much as I disagree with yours...
just goes to show that both sides can be a pain. I live in the most liberal county in Ohio so I understand what it can be like.

I'd rather drink with a murderer than Vick. Sometimes there's a good reason for murder. There's no good reason to torture and kill dogs. That's evil. Politics is just politics.
i'd drink with vick . . . only if it was to piss in his beer given the chance.

I would rather not drink with either.

On the flip side, a guy like kapernick missed an opporunity as well. People look up to pro ball players, especially quarterbacks. He could have brought sides together. He could have used his fame to go talk to police and community leaders and brought them together. Instead, he chose to kneel during the anthem. That alone is going to put off a lot of the population. It is also disrespectful and brought negative attention, not constructive attention.

Fair point. And I'm not saying Kap did everything right. Or that I am 100% behind his protest. But there are two things I do believe here:

1. I believe there are people in this country who have valid reason to feel they have been unequally treated, both historically and currently.

2. Whether I support his cause or not, I will vehemently defend his right to believe in it, and to peacefully protest.

The irony in all this is that our president, in an attempt to defend the honor of our country, has taken a very un-American stance. If you want to bring the troops into it, it is fair to say that they have fought to preserve the very freedoms that Colin Kapernick exercised. Should he be grateful? Maybe he is. But he has a right as an American to disagree with certain aspects and actions, to voice that dissension, and to peacefully protest those issues he is most passionate about. So do you. It's this beautiful irony that makes this country unique and special.

But let's be clear here. You prefer to drink with a convicted felon over a peaceful protester.
Prefer? IT is not really a choice is it? It is a stupid hypothetical question.

But, yehh I would rather talk to Vick.

But, yehh I would rather talk to Vick

That's right. You prefer spending time with a convicted felon over that of a peaceful protester. You're much like the guy you voted for. Your small government self would be just fine if someone's rights you disagreed with were squelched. You were up with all the wars until your son enlisted. Now you claim your worried about people dying in a Korean war. You're supposedly against increases in debt until someone offers you a tax cut. Yep, you're a trumptard.

That's right. You prefer spending time with a convicted felon over that of a peaceful protester. You're much like the guy you voted for. Your small government self would be just fine if someone's rights you disagreed with were squelched. You were up with all the wars until your son enlisted. Now you claim your worried about people dying in a Korean war. You're supposedly against increases in debt until someone offers you a tax cut. Yep, you're a trumptard.
You are an idiot. I am not sure what you are even talking about. I have always worried about people dying in any way and I have said the problems Korea presents and that is not walk in the park.

I would have no desire to meet or sit and drink one with Kapernick.

You are rambling about nothing.

You are an idiot. I am not sure what you are even talking about. I have always worried about people dying in any way and I have said the problems Korea presents and that is not walk in the park.

I would have no desire to meet or sit and drink one with Kapernick.

You are rambling about nothing.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. So does everyone else.

Backing up a little on your post now?

I'll say this...if people were OK with Vick playing after prison but not with Kap getting a job, they have some messed up priorities. FWIW, I supported Vick coming back. I think even felons deserve another chance.
No I would rather not drink with either but if inqas forced to chose i would go with Vick.

The reason kapernick doesn't have a job is because he is toxic to the team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT