ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgate idea

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Thunder Alley- Part of the IAF parking lot fenced in with temp fencing on game days. Connected to the east side of the stadium. No entry to the area from 3rd Ave or 4th Ave(alley behind McDonalds). Only access to it is from east side stadium gates. People have to have a game ticket to enter stadium, then can enter Thunder Alley from inside the stadium.

First time you walk in the beer garden you're carded and given a wristband. Cannot buy beer without wristband. Cannot buy more than 2 beers at once. Extra security to ensure area is safe and no one gets out of control.

8 tents inside, 4 selling beer and the other 4 selling grilled foods- burgers, hot dogs, sausages. Tables and chairs with umbrellas in the side areas. One section reserved for port-a-johns. Opens when stadium opens prior to the game. Last call is start of 3rd quarter closes at end of 3rd quarter. Everyone out.

Goals-

1.) Badass amenity. Best fan experience in C-USA.
2.) Requires game ticket and entry into stadium to access.
3.) Motivates people to enter stadium prior to kickoff.
4.) Helps relieve congestion in concourses during halftime.
5.) Adds beer sales and new food offerings- increased revenue.
6.) Beer garden is connected to stadium but seperate. Family friendly.
7.) Can still sell beer in stadium. Beer garden moves West Lot atmosphere to stadium.

Thoughts?

Reactions: RedParallax
This would be way awesome. Depending on pricing, beer selection, and kickoff time, I'd be inclined to get into the beer garden well before kickoff. With craft beer's growing popularity in the area (see Rails & Ales Festival's exploding attendance numbers), this could capitalize on that growing market and be a unique selling point for Marshall and the stadium experience.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Great idea. Given the programs long association with Miller products, they would take the lead.

I like the idea.

Marshall can use the sales exclusively on the Joan for upgrades...and each season, the beer will pay for something we need, possibly even pooled up over time to get something major (more suites?).

I'm no event planner but let's just say...

We have roughly 15,000 people who are able to drink.
Beer is sold at $6.00 a cup.
Let's say everyone drinks at least 3 beers...for those who can afford to, those who drink more than others, and those who drink in the place of someone who could drink, but won't.

$18.00 a person x 15,000 = $270,000 generated on beer alone for 1 game.
6 home games x 270,000 = $1,620,000 a season.

Of course, not factored in is consistency, obviously, and the actual number of fans who will drink. I just gave a rough number...I really have no idea at statistics regarding who is actually able to drink and who isn't.
But imagine if the Joan made that much a year...what things could be paid for with that generated income.

You could also factor in, for that number, food vendor sales instead...which could come out to an even larger number than I put in (since more people can eat than legally drink).

In any case, it's a great idea for fans and gameday, but an even better financial idea.

So, how do we get this idea to Hamrick?

I like this idea, I think it would work. I don't like the temp fence idea. I think Marshall should step up and put in a nice black rod with bricked corners fence and go ahead and put the fan flow ideas into place. My other issue is BEER SMELLS, spilled beer will really create a rank smell in just a few days if not pressure washed off. If you've even been to bourbon street they clean the streets every morning for this reason. Marshall's history of maintenance has been poor and thus I would worry about the stickiness and smell a beer garten might create without the proper post game clean up.

My only suggestion to this great idea would be to add TVs if possible. Still I am sick of seeing an empty stadium come 3rd qtr and this idea would keep fans in the stadium.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
I like this idea, I think it would work. I don't like the temp fence idea. I think Marshall should step up and put in a nice black rod with bricked corners fence and go ahead and put the fan flow ideas into place. My other issue is BEER SMELLS, spilled beer will really create a rank smell in just a few days if not pressure washed off. If you've even been to bourbon street they clean the streets every morning for this reason. Marshall's history of maintenance has been poor and thus I would worry about the stickiness and smell a beer garten might create without the proper post game clean up.

My only suggestion to this great idea would be to add TVs if possible. Still I am sick of seeing an empty stadium come 3rd qtr and this idea would keep fans in the stadium.

It would require some extra clean up. Luckily it would only be 5 or 6 times a year. The temporary fence would just be used to enclose the parking lot so that the beer garden could only be accessed from inside the stadium. I like the black wrought iron fence idea around the stadium and West Lot but I don't want to permanently close off the IAF parking lot, if that makes sense.

I definitely would like to see TVs, only inside in the concourses. If there were TVs out in the beer garden no one would ever go to their seats. :)

Reactions: Herdon2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT