ADVERTISEMENT

Tamar Slay

Wasn't he coaching high school ball a while back down in the Charlotte area? Not sure if he ever got involved with the Herd That team in the summer tournament.
Didn’t the herd try to hire him but ran into a snag

Tamar Slay was hired by D'Antoni, April 2022----he resigned May 2022 because his wife did not want to relocate to Huntington. Last word I HERD he is studying in a special NBA program with hopes of someday coaching in the NBA......time will tell!

Tamar Slay was hired by D'Antoni, April 2022----he resigned May 2022 because his wife did not want to relocate to Huntington. Last word I HERD he is studying in a special NBA program with hopes of someday coaching in the NBA......time will tell!
Don't blame her. Beckley doesn't have 60 faux recovery houses and zombies running around town.

City of Huntington needs to start better zoning regulations on a lot of stuff.. recovery houses, dispensaries, financial institutions just to name a few.. I love Downtown and it has grown so much since the mall was built out of town… but I think they could do so much more.. greyhound bus station is just a drug trafficking hotspot… but hey Go Herd!!

Last edited:
City of Huntington needs to start better zoning regulations on a lot of stuff.. recovery houses, dispensaries, financial institutions just to name a few.. I love Downtown and it has grown so much since the mall was built out of town… but I think they could do so much more.. greyhound bus station is just a drug trafficking hotspot… but hey Go Herd!!
Umm, thought the bus station was also Huntington's "Needle Exchange Central". Any coincidence???

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Don't blame her. Beckley doesn't have 60 faux recovery houses and zombies running around town.
I’m pretty sure places like Kenova WV put in rules for recovery houses..

South Point Oh has rules on building apartments because one guy was buying up ever lot and building 10 apartments on it…

It can be done…

A number of Htgn “leaders” have successfully monetized the local drug problem in various ways. I will not name names, many of you already know who they are.

A number of Htgn “leaders” have successfully monetized the local drug problem in various ways. I will not name names, many of you already know who they are.
Hey, rumor has it the former director of a recovery facility recently purchased the Fannin estate in Cannonsburg. That place in incredible. I'd bet at least a 2Mil price tag. How does that happen????

Hey, rumor has it the former director of a recovery facility recently purchased the Fannin estate in Cannonsburg. That place in incredible. I'd bet at least a 2Mil price tag. How does that happen????
I've heard he is in re hab again

Certainly cannot argue that some of the recovery homes in Huntington are simply money makers for folks.
Many of them are providing a valuable service to folks working through recovery. It's a shame a few bad apples create opportunity for the generalizations we hear.

Certainly cannot argue that some of the recovery homes in Huntington are simply money makers for folks.
Many of them are providing a valuable service to folks working through recovery. It's a shame a few bad apples create opportunity for the generalizations we hear.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to heal and turn their life around. A Huntington city official told me there are currently around 60 recovery homes in the city and a vast majority don't provide the services their residents to assist in recovery. Most bleed the residents of money and then get government funds on top of that. Yet, Williams, Jan Rader and others turn a blind eye toward this abuse of the addicted.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to heal and turn their life around. A Huntington city official told me there are currently around 60 recovery homes in the city and a vast majority don't provide the services their residents to assist in recovery. Most bleed the residents of money and then get government funds on top of that. Yet, Williams, Jan Rader and others turn a blind eye toward this abuse of the addicted.
There are about 60 homes. I question “most”. What government funds are they receiving?

There are about 60 homes. I question “most”. What government funds are they receiving?
The patient receives government funds “insurance” that pay for their stay, if you run out of coverage, which they will, the recovery house “aka doctors/lawyers/politicians” kicks them to the curb. That opens the space for a fresh body that full of insurance money…

Typically that’s when you will see that person commit a crime, robbery or assault to get placed of our wonderful jailing system to receive food and housing…. Then the cycle starts all over again….

No one want healing no one want to help no one cares, no one cares about the bus loads of homeless that gets placed here or taken from here, it’s just a massive money organization milking that tax payer of their money….

So to answer your question, ALL OF THEM!!!! receive government funds, because they sure as heck ain’t payin out of their own pockets.

The patient receives government funds “insurance” that pay for their stay, if you run out of coverage, which they will, the recovery house “aka doctors/lawyers/politicians” kicks them to the curb. That opens the space for a fresh body that full of insurance money…

Typically that’s when you will see that person commit a crime, robbery or assault to get placed of our wonderful jailing system to receive food and housing…. Then the cycle starts all over again….

No one want healing no one want to help no one cares, no one cares about the bus loads of homeless that gets placed here or taken from here, it’s just a massive money organization milking that tax payer of their money….

So to answer your question, ALL OF THEM!!!! receive government funds, because they sure as heck ain’t payin out of their own pockets.
Thanks, beat me to it. CARES, DHHR, there are many sources.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Search me. Are all the Fannins in jail or just a few of them. Lol.
I played my first nine holes of golf on that property, I think it was Rolling Meadows golf course.

Folks with addiction can receive SSI payments as long as they are involved in a treatment program and that is a good thing. The money is not a great amount (over $700 for a single person). As recipients they have the freedom to use it in any way as long as they stay in treatment. Living in these homes is much cheaper than renting an apartment and being responsible for utilities. The primary purpose is to provide support for the treatment and allow them the opportunity to find a suitable job allowing them to move, reduce or eliminate the need for SSI payments. There are over 150 recovery homes in WV and we lead the way. 111 homes have met certification requirements according to the WV Alliance for Recovery Residences. There is not enough government oversight, which allows for abuse by folks simply looking to pad their pocketbooks. I contend they are in the minority. The State, City of Huntington, and Cabell County Commission are well aware of the issues and are considering ways to improve oversight and effectiveness.

Folks with addiction can receive SSI payments as long as they are involved in a treatment program and that is a good thing. The money is not a great amount (over $700 for a single person). As recipients they have the freedom to use it in any way as long as they stay in treatment. Living in these homes is much cheaper than renting an apartment and being responsible for utilities. The primary purpose is to provide support for the treatment and allow them the opportunity to find a suitable job allowing them to move, reduce or eliminate the need for SSI payments. There are over 150 recovery homes in WV and we lead the way. 111 homes have met certification requirements according to the WV Alliance for Recovery Residences. There is not enough government oversight, which allows for abuse by folks simply looking to pad their pocketbooks. I contend they are in the minority. The State, City of Huntington, and Cabell County Commission are well aware of the issues and are considering ways to improve oversight and effectiveness.
No way in hell all of the homes are legit, or close. Certainly nothing against you, but the last sentence made me laugh. Sorry, I don't see anything coming from city hall or across the street that gives me great confidence. Do they realize if things continue as they are, the city may have 30K residents in the next decade, most being addicts or recovering addicts. Do they even care about economic growth or trying to make this a city where people or families might want to locate to? I wonder. Hell, no wonder Marshall can't get kids to come here.

Last edited:
So Huntington has 111 recovery homes? That's ridiculous. No way in hell all of them are legit, or close. The last sentence made me laugh. Sorry, I don't see anything coming from city hall or across the street that gives me great confidence. Do they realize if things continue as they are, the city may have 30K residents in the next decade, most being addicts or recovering addicts. Do they even care about economic growth or trying to make this a city where people or families might want to locate to? I wonder. Hell, no wonder Marshall can't get kids to come here.
No. Sorry for the confusion. The State of WV has 111 certified recovery homes. Huntington has 60 homes and I do not know how many are certified, but it is safe to believe that well over half of them are.

No. Sorry for the confusion. The State of WV has 111 certified recovery homes. Huntington has 60 homes and I do not know how many are certified, but it is safe to believe that well over half of them are.
I appreciate the info. I know we all want a person to recover, improve their life, and move forward. But the powers that be have to know and realize the other 40K citizens of this city who try to make a living every day, and call this home, want a safe city and a growing city, one with a bright future. Frankly, I don't think they do. It almost seems like they take great pleasure in being Americas recovery house.

I know personally folks that have entered into recovery houses and rehab centers… they don’t exchange any money and they will run out of money, that’s when they get booted from a house or rehab center. Happens everyday. People Have to fix themselves and the government gives just enough money to get them through that, problem is no one can or wants to help themselves….

Tell me methadone or suboxone isn’t addictive, then expect a patient to wing themselves off of it only to give them the free will to change their dose as needed..
clinics not helping anyone, just another money organization..

it’s obvious when you see full time family Doctors quitting family practice just to run their Drug dispensaries..

Ha! Ole' Rolling Meadows, that was in back of Catlettsburg. So hilly, it made Spring Valley CC look like Death Valley. lol!
SVCC!! Where I started swinging around 5 y.o. . Great short course. Hilly as hell.
Mondays the course was closed, so Mom would drop me off in the morning & pick me up in the evening. Go across the street at #11 green to get a pop out of the machine at the meat company….

SVCC!! Where I started swinging around 5 y.o. . Great short course. Hilly as hell.
Mondays the course was closed, so Mom would drop me off in the morning & pick me up in the evening. Go across the street at #11 green to get a pop out of the machine at the meat company….
Byards Meats. Blast from the past.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Ha! Ole' Rolling Meadows, that was in back of Catlettsburg. So hilly, it made Spring Valley CC look like Death Valley. lol!
I worked as a grounds maintenance guy at rolling meadows.. Bob Craycraft owned that course, his house was the one right next to the parking lot and clubhouse. Wasn’t much of a clubhouse lol. I took a chainsaw across my knee, probably in the backyard of that ridiculous mansion, but that was fun times. Bob Craycraft also owned the Foodland in Catlettsburg…

I worked as a grounds maintenance guy at rolling meadows.. Bob Craycraft owned that course, his house was the one right next to the parking lot and clubhouse. Wasn’t much of a clubhouse lol. I took a chainsaw across my knee, probably in the backyard of that ridiculous mansion, but that was fun times. Bob Craycraft also owned the Foodland in Catlettsburg…
Over the years we've lost - SVCC, Forest Hills, Rolling Meadows, Knob Hill, Cedar Knoll (best greens around, jmo) and Twin Valley - now where the Whayne Equipment dealership is, in Cannonsburg. Sad.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Yeah, topic of this thread sure has drifted away from "straight down the fairway". W-S and Twolf apparently are working hard on their slices, hooks, etc., etc., on many courses throughout the Tri-State!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT