ADVERTISEMENT

The beginning of the downward spiral of Marshall Football was...

F*ck the Sun Belt. Only a loser would want a step back

How is it a step back?

Both conferences are poorly ranked! Our TV package is the worst ever! ESPN---like them or hate them......ESPN drives the engine of college football and the SUN BELT has an agreement with ESPN through 2020. I don't support that is a "loser conference"......I hate having to watch Marshall on my phone or i-Pad in Charlotte. Plus, our location is more suited to the Sun Belt.

Zilla22

Is that a legit question?

I can not explain it in any more simple terms.

(1) Closer location of opponents to Huntington...(2) ESPN EXPOSURE...(3) Equal quality of football & basketball....(4)...Renewal of old rivals (Appy State & Ga Southern)....HERD HAS NONE IN CUSA....(5) I give the edge to CUSA for BASEBALL.

Zilla22

YOUR COUNTER....Fever

How many Sunbelt games have you sat and watch on ESPN this year?

Legit question. I have watch or checked in on probably over 60 games this, the only time I checked in on a Sun Belt team was when I saw the score of the Troy/LSU game.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I can not explain it in any more simple terms.

(1) Closer location of opponents to Huntington...(2) ESPN EXPOSURE...(3) Equal quality of football & basketball....(4)...Renewal of old rivals (Appy State & Ga Southern)....HERD HAS NONE IN CUSA....(5) I give the edge to CUSA for BASEBALL.

Zilla22

YOUR COUNTER....Fever

plus you can renew those rivalries in the non-conference.

Changing conferences based on a TV deal that ends in 3 years is foolish. ESPN is becoming a huge drag on Disney and the $$ bid on the next deal will be far less. ESPN is converting itself into an all NBA and race/politics channel.

How is it a step back?

Both conferences are poorly ranked! Our TV package is the worst ever! ESPN---like them or hate them......ESPN drives the engine of college football and the SUN BELT has an agreement with ESPN through 2020. I don't support that is a "loser conference"......I hate having to watch Marshall on my phone or i-Pad in Charlotte. Plus, our location is more suited to the Sun Belt.

Zilla22

Let me just ask...what do you think the new Sun Belt TV contract would have looked like had theirs expired at the time ours did?
The fact C-USA is getting such a low offer says that anyone outside of ESPN is not willing to pay money for a conference in the G5 for the most part.
It also says if ESPN is ever dragged into a bidding war with someone else, they would actually save money than naming their price. All they'd have to do is pay $100,000 more than what someone else is offering and the conference would be stuck to choose. They would, of course, offer their brand name of "Worldwide Leader in Sports" with fancy glossy pamphlets.
The fine print says however...
You'd then have the problem of being forced to be told when and what time you play, which, as you can see from MACtion...it's during the week, usually on at a bar as white noise filler to block out the idle banter of the drunken populace.
ESPN is essentially a corrupt form of government, keeping the poor poor but giving just enough to be relied upon for existence. All the while controlling them in any way they can.
MAC as well, when their contract expires, do you think they'll be offered more by anyone else to play? ESPN can lower their amount offered, as long as its just out of reach for anyone else to get them.

The schedule the MAC had, was awful, I can't remember how many games were on Saturday but hardly any were picked up by ESPN.
Do you really think the Sun Belt is going to be given any better treatment?

Not to mention, the payouts, yes, much better than C-USA, however, how much revenue is lost at the gate because of Wednesday night kickoffs? Revenue that is basically keeping some of these programs afloat, is given out in the form of the TV contract money.

All this fine print that ESPN likes to forget to mention. I'm not saying our deal is better. C-USA had the rotten luck of an expiring TV contract and piss poor leadership to happen first.
It'll happen to much of the G5.

Reactions: The Real SamC
yes, they wanted us to be a Football only member with a the hopes of bringing over the rest of the Sports in 2004 I believe.
Fever is correct we let our hasn’t been in the NCAA tournament since 1987 decide we weren’t going to a conference for football where Louisville, TCU, Cincinnati, Southern Miss, ECU, Memphis, Houston, Tulsa played because basketball didn’t like the conference they were going. Totally stupid move.

I know this is not going to be a very popular idea, but I think everyone agrees that C-USA (in its current structure) is not good for Marshall University. We need to leave the conference. No doubt about it - the travel is absurd, the Media Package is atrocious, it is not a 2-bid NCAA Tourney league in hoops anymore, and no team is really an inspiring rival. Clearly the MAC is not going to welcome us back with open arms and we are not in a position to go to the AAC or any other conference "above" C-USA.

I would personally love to see us go the the OVC, be a perennial power in FCS football, play a big money game every year with a 2nd tier Power 5 team, and be the regional university that we are. I know that sounds like "going backwards", but what the hell are we doing in C-USA - riding a bad stock all the way down to the bottom of the market. OVC would cut travel costs EXPONENTIALLY, have an equivalent TV deal, be a 1-bid NCAA Tourney League for hoops, and allow us to compete for a national championship in football. Its simply ignorant to pay a head football coach $800,000 at Marshall University.

For any who want to question my "fanhood", know that I love The Herd, graduated with both a BA and MA in the 90s, and hope someday that both of my kids choose to attend Marshall. I just cant stand the direction of our athletics program.
Far too much money, blood, seat, and tears have been shed in the move up to FBS from FCS to ever move back down unless the state and school plummet financially. We have very good facilities for a G5 school in football and are competitive in basketball. We probably can't move up to compete in the AAC due to the overall financial constraints where we would have to do much more with much less funding in comparison to our peers, but we can still be a competitive G5 program that can compete to win conference titles on a consistent basis in football and basketball.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Not surprising.

Please Dr Gilbert fix this now. Get rid of those responsible for killing our beloved football program. Show them the door right now.
Marcum and Snyder have already been gotten rid of. Hamrick improved our infrastructure and funding while Doc has at least built a solid program that could be very good long term at our level with the right moves.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT