ADVERTISEMENT

The Future...

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
I know I'll catch a LOT of flack for this, but I, for one, am very pleased w/ what Coach Huff has done, how he has handled himself, his approach to the game, and how he is handling the program. I think the future for Marshall football is VERY bright if we can hold on to him for a few years. I know, I know...we lost some games we could/SHOULD have won and it would have been GREAT to be the division champs but...it didn't happen. Sometimes, things don't go your way. Unfortunately, we can't win every game. Just ask Alabama, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, you name the team (other than UG and UC this year....). And I'll go way out on a limb here and say that I'll just bet that the team and the coaches probably hated losing more than we did. But this was a year of new beginnings...new coach, new staff, new schemes, new players, new MIND SET, and a totally new (and refreshing, I might add) outlook on how Marshall football will be played. Someone said in an earlier post that it takes a while to get rid of the old mindset and replace it with something new and positive. I think that's true. Give the coach a chance. I look forward to what he will do in the off season, how/who he will recruit, spring camp next year, and the new season next year. Things are looking up. Ok, now, you who disagree, hit me w/ your best shot. I was here in the 60's...I have seen a LOT of Marshall football....I can take it. Win OR lose...GO HERD!!

I am not pleased with what he has done, but I didn't expect any more yet either. I had hoped for more, but it didn't come. His lack of game accountability showed and he and his coaches lost the team emotionally a couple times/games this year, including this past Saturday. He has a lot to learn about timing and leading a program, he was a gamble and a futures investment when he was hired. I don't think he was ready to be hired as a head coach because he didn't have a cadre of this level coaches ready to come along. He does appear to be very connected to the FCS division of coaches and players, maybe he'll be able to use the portal to his advantage, and trade out some lover level coaching experience for a solid staff of FBS-experienced position coaches.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I am not pleased with what he has done, but I didn't expect any more yet either. I had hoped for more, but it didn't come. His lack of game accountability showed and he and his coaches lost the team emotionally a couple times/games this year, including this past Saturday. He has a lot to learn about timing and leading a program, he was a gamble and a futures investment when he was hired. I don't think he was ready to be hired as a head coach because he didn't have a cadre of this level coaches ready to come along. He does appear to be very connected to the FCS division of coaches and players, maybe he'll be able to use the portal to his advantage, and trade out some lover level coaching experience for a solid staff of FBS-experienced position coaches.
Are you available to inform Coach Huff of all his deficiencies he has? What D1 experience do you have as a Head Coach?

I know I'll catch a LOT of flack for this, but I, for one, am very pleased w/ what Coach Huff has done, how he has handled himself, his approach to the game, and how he is handling the program. I think the future for Marshall football is VERY bright if we can hold on to him for a few years. I know, I know...we lost some games we could/SHOULD have won and it would have been GREAT to be the division champs but...it didn't happen. Sometimes, things don't go your way. Unfortunately, we can't win every game. Just ask Alabama, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, you name the team (other than UG and UC this year....). And I'll go way out on a limb here and say that I'll just bet that the team and the coaches probably hated losing more than we did. But this was a year of new beginnings...new coach, new staff, new schemes, new players, new MIND SET, and a totally new (and refreshing, I might add) outlook on how Marshall football will be played. Someone said in an earlier post that it takes a while to get rid of the old mindset and replace it with something new and positive. I think that's true. Give the coach a chance. I look forward to what he will do in the off season, how/who he will recruit, spring camp next year, and the new season next year. Things are looking up. Ok, now, you who disagree, hit me w/ your best shot. I was here in the 60's...I have seen a LOT of Marshall football....I can take it. Win OR lose...GO HERD!!
Im with you. I am 75 and have had season tickets since 1969. You and I then know all the stories from Olde Fairfield to the Joan. The first coach i remember was Charlie Snyder while I was in junior high and the high school. And have seen all the coaches since.

I am not pleased with what he has done, but I didn't expect any more yet either. I had hoped for more, but it didn't come. His lack of game accountability showed and he and his coaches lost the team emotionally a couple times/games this year, including this past Saturday. He has a lot to learn about timing and leading a program, he was a gamble and a futures investment when he was hired. I don't think he was ready to be hired as a head coach because he didn't have a cadre of this level coaches ready to come along. He does appear to be very connected to the FCS division of coaches and players, maybe he'll be able to use the portal to his advantage, and trade out some lover level coaching experience for a solid staff of FBS-experienced position coaches
And Doc didn't lose this team on multiple occasions over the years? Huff at least improved as a coach as the year went on, and for the most part, his staff did as well. Huff alluded to a culture change within the team and locker room. It was also mentioned that some players were seen on the sidelines in heated exchanges Saturday night. Again, remnants of Docs poor recruiting and poor judge of character comes back to bite us. Huff still has to purge the cancers and stinkin thinkin from this team/program.

This thread is ridiculous... It's too early to make and informed assessment of the current administration.

We went 7-5 in CUSA in year one... Let's see where we are after years 2 and 3 before starting the "Coach Huff is amazing, things are looking up" or "We suck, time to can Huff" talk.

This thread is ridiculous... It's too early to make and informed assessment of the current administration.

We went 7-5 in CUSA in year one... Let's see where we are after years 2 and 3 before starting the "Coach Huff is amazing, things are looking up" or "We suck, time to can Huff" talk.
This.

But this thread is yet another example of both type one and type two fandom.

The excuse makers. Doc, Doc, Doc….

And the “the future is really bright, because I want it to be, because that is my team” evidence free optimists.

Fact is this team grossly underperformed expectations this year. There is neither any evidence that it will get better (although it certainly may, just saying there is no evidence to think it will) nor is there any value in excuse making.

This.

And the “the future is really bright, because I want it to be, because that is my team” evidence free optimists.

Fact is this team grossly underperformed expectations this year. There is neither any evidence that it will get better (although it certainly may, just saying there is no evidence to think it will) nor is there any value in excuse making.
No they didn’t grossly underperform. Just about everyone was predicting anywhere from 7-5 8-4 9-3 range. The team performed just as expected by most people. Underperforming would be if we went 3-9

No they didn’t grossly underperform. Just about everyone was predicting anywhere from 7-5 8-4 9-3 range. The team performed just as expected by most people. Underperforming would be if we went 3-9
They were picked to win the division by CUSA media, coaches and most pre-season guides. Did not. Underperformed.

The over-under on season wins was 8 1/2. 7. Underperformed.

They were a favorite in four losses. Underperformed.

But, wait a minute. “Underperforming” is 3-9.? You are happy with 7-5? This is OK?

You accept mediocrity

The other question is... What was our best win?

North Texas (6-6) on the road?

We didn't beat a single team that finished above .500... We beat the scrubs put before us and lost to all the teams with a pulse (WKU, UAB, ECU, APP) and totally puked on ourselves at MTSU.

Reactions: The Real SamC
They were picked to win the division by CUSA media, coaches and most pre-season guides. Did not. Underperformed.

But, wait a minute. “Underperforming” is 3-9.? You are happy with 7-5? This is OK?

You accept mediocrity
We've been picked to win the division before and didn't follow through. I guess we were expecting too much at the time.

You accept mediocrity
We accepted Doc for 11 years - yeah, we did indeed accept mediocrity.

You accept mediocrity
We had the chance to win the division Saturday. After last years complete meltdown playing for the chance to win the division is not under performing. Had we won Saturday we’d be 8-4 right at the over under season wins. It’s the exact same thing we got with doc. The difference is we actually have a coach with a personality and has drive. Doc became complacent. I know you lost your dance partner when he got fired but move on.

The difference is we actually have a coach with a personality and has drive.
I might add a coach that actually seems to understand what he is seeing on the field as it is happening. He actually understands Xs and Os. I was never really convinced the last guy was totally up to the task or had much input into what/how was being coached.

Reactions: Diamond Duke
The other question is... What was our best win?

North Texas (6-6) on the road?

We didn't beat a single team that finished above .500... We beat the scrubs put before us and lost to all the teams with a pulse (WKU, UAB, ECU, APP) and totally puked on ourselves at MTSU.
I would go with “none of the above”.

Navy? It will look good in future years, but they are 3-8, probably going 3-9 as Army looks like the best of the service academies. NBD.

NC Central? Move on.

ODU? Taken to overtime at home by a team that finished up 6-6, 5-6 in I-A, beating no one with a winning record either.

UNT? Nice win on the road, but good teams can win on the road. Playing before a claimed “crowd” of 13K is not really like a road game anyway. Still they went 6-6, 5-6 in I-A, but they did beat two teams with winning records, so on paper the best team we played.

FIU? Move on.

FAU? They seemed to have a pulse at the time, before losing out to go 5-7, 4-7 in I-A, with one win over a team with a winning record. Our poor play made them look better than they were.

UNCC? 5-7, 4-7 in I-A, beating no teams with a winning record.

So we beat the worst of the service academies, an HBCU I-AA, and then in conference not only did not beat any teams with winning records, but if you carry it out to the next place, only beat one team that beat any teams with winning records.

That yields the result. Our “best win” was, there wasn’t one.

Sam doesn't respect our conference opponents.

Marshall football is not for you Sam.

This is, reading comprehension not your strong suit I guess, a discussion about our signature WINS. Of which there were none. I respect plenty of CUSA programs. It is just that, this year we lost all those games.

Badly.

Meh, I predicted 7-5 and no better than 8-4 so…. Huff matched my expectations. He lost 3 at home, (John style) and beat no one that was really any good (also John stylish) QB, ST, play was not that great. Defensive secondary underachieving as usual. Ali was the most welcome surprise of the season. As long as he doesn’t pull a Darius Marshall or hit the transfer portal he’ll be a nice welcome back for next year. Early 2022 prediction is 9-3.

And Doc didn't lose this team on multiple occasions over the years? Huff at least improved as a coach as the year went on, and for the most part, his staff did as well. Huff alluded to a culture change within the team and locker room. It was also mentioned that some players were seen on the sidelines in heated exchanges Saturday night. Again, remnants of Docs poor recruiting and poor judge of character comes back to bite us. Huff still has to purge the cancers and stinkin thinkin from this team/program.
This whole, "he lost the team" is BS if he really did, you wouldn't have had the past and current players expressing their disagreement with Doc not being retained.
Same with Huff, he hasn't lost the team and didn't this season.
The arguing and sideline stuff couldn't just be...you know...frustration a team you really hate, is whipping your ass?
wku on the opposite sidelines were talking trash to the crowd and even some coaches were just looking at it and allowing it to happen.
Also, a team with "cancers" managed to win 7 games for a guy who'd never been a head coach in his life.
I love how people in their 70's, who complain about loud rap music and wearing black on uniforms, somehow think they know the culture of a team comprised of 18-23 yr olds.

Speaking of culture, yeah, thats a change and not even limited to the players.
Doc's problem was he felt winning games was more important than fan service. Minus 2016, he mostly did win more games than he lost but he had the personality of a Ficus.
Huff's problem is he's applying fan service over winning games. He's saying all the right things and being completely social/vocal with the fans but has come up short in games MU should have won.
Huff's had 1 season so it's difficult to weigh how much this will continue and honestly he feels he has to make a good impact socially in year 1, understandable. But his change is to make decisions that fans may not agree with but may be what wins MU the game, maybe even not needing to have to explain everything, bench a popular player, move guys around, etc.

Reactions: marshallsig

Which is why we're all here and they are...well...not.

This.

I agree...a team with the ability to have lost maybe 1 game this season but ends up losing 5 is somehow Doc's fault...forgetting this team also won 7 games...which is also...Doc's fault.

That's where agreeing with you ends Goddamn Sam.

The problem is, the team did not underperform expectations (many had us with 3 or more losses, 8-4 I believe was most prominent), they underperformed when they had a chance to win during the game.
Thats what everyone's problem is.

Furthermore, may as well remind the fans who predicted Huff to lose 3-4 games this season, that they can't exist in two places at once.
On one hand you predicted multiple losses.
On the other hand, Huff actually lost multiple games.
...and somehow it's on Huff for making your prediction come true.and you are upset by that

you wouldn't have had the past and current players expressing their disagreement with Doc not being retained.
It's safe to say more "past" players were ready for a change and ready to be involved in the program.
If you're a current player and able to get what you want and act the way you want...why would you want a change from that?
The arguing and sideline stuff couldn't just be...you know...frustration a team you really hate, is whipping your ass?
A team arguing amongst each other during a game really isn't a team. This was common during the last couple years of Doc and is the exact opposite of what this coach expects now. It needs eradicated.

I love how people in their 70's, who complain about loud rap music and wearing black on uniforms, somehow think they know the culture of a team comprised of 18-23 yr olds.
Ehhh. I'm not in my 70's, dont mind the music, or black unis. A team culture is something that coach Huff has alluded to needed changed/changing on multiple occasions. He did in his latest press conference too. If he says it's not what he wants, then I'll go with his feelings on the subject.
Doc's problem was he felt winning games was more important than fan service. Minus 2016, he mostly did win more games than he lost but he had the personality of a Ficus.
Huff's problem is he's applying fan service over winning games.
If you haven't noticed, the fans haven't been "serviced" in the better part of 10 years. I guess going into the community and buying a cup of coffee or grabbing a meal at a restaurant is too much to ask and taking time away from winning.

This whole, "he lost the team" is BS if he really did, you wouldn't have had the past and current players expressing their disagreement with Doc not being retained.
Past players (pre Doc) were not welcome to participate in the program. I may have missed some, but the only past player to my knowledge that was vocal about Doc not being retained was Cato. There has been more involvement from football alum this year than the previous 10 years combined.
I personally saw the fight(and the police response)that took place in the stadium parking lot. From that day on the team was fractured - he lost the team. The results on the field proved it.

Last edited:
It's safe to say more "past" players were ready for a change and ready to be involved in the program.
If you're a current player and able to get what you want and act the way you want...why would you want a change from that?

A team arguing amongst each other during a game really isn't a team. This was common during the last couple years of Doc and is the exact opposite of what this coach expects now. It needs eradicated.

Ehhh. I'm not in my 70's, dont mind the music, or black unis. A team culture is something that coach Huff has alluded to needed changed/changing on multiple occasions. He did in his latest press conference too. If he says it's not what he wants, then I'll go with his feelings on the subject.

If you haven't noticed, the fans haven't been "serviced" in the better part of 10 years. I guess going into the community and buying a cup of coffee or grabbing a meal at a restaurant is too much to ask and taking time away from winning.

We can go back and forth about the interworkings of the AD during 2016, where several things were going on and apparently, weren't good considering whats become of it.
At that time, plenty on both sides have said their pieces about the past players and what went on...I'm not going to bother.
As for current players, if there were a real problem worth it to them to support change, they would have. What else is going to happen? The fired coach is going to bench them? Plus, plenty were in favor of Doc 2.0, Lambert.

You're right, a team arguing during a game is not a good look. I agree it happened under Doc more than once. But even with a new HC, it's going to happen regardless. It happens in the NFL from time to time as well.
I doubt that's as much of a character issue as it is emotions. Hell, punches and all out brawls happen during practices on all levels.

I agree with you about Huff and the team culture, but Huff may also have to adjust himself and his coaches (I mean, they night and day changed their game plan at halftime during wku) in terms of their goals for the team and its culture.
I'm not even sure what Huff has specifically stated his goal for MU football culture is? Winning championships, winning games, exciting teams, NFL talent? Its the same set of buzzwords any HC would say.

I agree and Huff is 100000 times more fan/media friendly than Doc could ever be. Alright, no real problem there, but to say the fans didn't get his best efforts in year 1, isn't accurate.
It's not like MU fans and Huntington residents don't follow MU or know their changes. Much of his social interactions were entirely just for fan engagement and interaction for tailgates...and the fans still didn't show up.

To his credit, Huff really has done more to attempt to increase the fan experience during tailgates in 1 season than Doc did in his entire tenure. But of course, MU fans just don't seem interested in that, they'd trade it all away for wins against some of the teams MU should have beaten. Plus, it isn't on Huff to do that, he's a football HC, not the Chair of MU's Marketing Dept.
Let's hope Brad's got some good ideas, cheers.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Past players (pre Doc) were not welcome to participate in the program. I may have missed some, but the only past player to my knowledge that was vocal about Doc not being retained was Cato. There has been more involvement from football alum this year than the previous 10 years combined.
I personally saw the fight(and the police response)that took place in the stadium parking lot. From that day on the team was fractured - he lost the team. The results on the field proved it.
Sorry, I'm not going to take your eyewitness account very seriously on an online message board where the consensus is already quite biased towards one party. I'm also not going to take your theory on the cognitive well being, or lack thereof, of an entire team based entirely on the same eyewitness account.
I should have been more specific, but plenty currently on the team when the news was dropped, were not happy about it. They also expressed their opinions in favor of Lambert to be their HC.
It wouldn't make sense for a group of 18-23 yr olds to publicly and openly support someone they really don't like, during a time when they can literally find somewhere else to play and flip MU the bird.
Not saying ALL were in favor of change, but given how many stayed, it didn't appear to be a broken/lost team.
Fans would've called Lambert Doc 2.0 and didn't want him.
Cato was quite vocal, Litton was too, I can't recall what Yurachek said but I doubt he was jumping for joy, honestly, I'm sure a few others in his class were too, but I don't follow them all on social media.

Same with Huff, he hasn't lost the team and didn't this season.
wku on the opposite sidelines were talking trash to the crowd and even some coaches were just looking at it and allowing it to happen.
Also, a team with "cancers" managed to win 7 games for a guy who'd never been a head coach in his life.

Speaking of culture, yeah, thats a change and not even limited to the players.
Huff's problem is he's applying fan service over winning games. He's saying all the right things and being completely social/vocal with the fans but has come up short in games MU should have won.
Huff's had 1 season so it's difficult to weigh how much this will continue and honestly he feels he has to make a good impact socially in year 1, understandable. But his change is to make decisions that fans may not agree with but may be what wins MU the game, maybe even not needing to have to explain everything, bench a popular player, move guys around, etc.
I love how a middle schooler rants about others posts like his word is gospel. If you don't think Doc lost control and we had/have attitude issues, you just haven't been paying attention. Let's let Huff do his thing. I am totally on board with him. The Docsuckers can whine all they want, he ain't coming back and that's good for Marshall's football program.

Sorry, I'm not going to take your eyewitness account very seriously on an online message board where the consensus is already quite biased towards one party. I'm also not going to take your theory on the cognitive well being, or lack thereof, of an entire team based entirely on the same eyewitness account.
I should have been more specific, but plenty currently on the team when the news was dropped, were not happy about it. They also expressed their opinions in favor of Lambert to be their HC.
It wouldn't make sense for a group of 18-23 yr olds to publicly and openly support someone they really don't like, during a time when they can literally find somewhere else to play and flip MU the bird.
Not saying ALL were in favor of change, but given how many stayed, it didn't appear to be a broken/lost team.
Cato was quite vocal, Litton was too, I can't recall what Yurachek said but I doubt he was jumping for joy, honestly, I'm sure a few others in his class were too, but I don't follow them all on social media.
Players don't want change for the simple fact, they don't know if the new staff coming in will approve of their work ethic, they may lose their starting spot, etc. That's natural. And I sure as hell wouldn't out any credence to what Chase Litton ever said. That dude was a self centered head case - everyone knew that. Ask Yurachek.

I agree with you about Huff and the team culture, but Huff may also have to adjust himself and his coaches (I mean, they night and day changed their game plan at halftime during wku) in terms of their goals for the team and its culture.
I'm not even sure what Huff has specifically stated his goal for MU football culture is? Winning championships, winning games, exciting teams, NFL talent? Its the same set of buzzwords any HC would say
Game plans have nothing to do with culture.

Work/practice ethic, never giving up/quitting on the field, not I but WE, character, upstanding behavior on and off the field, community involvement. That is culture and none are "buzzwords". ALL were constantly lacking under the last guy, and I rarely heard Doc address any of it publicly. All have been discussed by Huff in press conferences throughout the year.

My hope is with McDaniel's arrest this year, the "culture" of "do what you want" until caught, fostered by the last guy is gone.

Work/practice ethic, never giving up/quitting on the field, not I but WE, character, upstanding behavior on and off the field, community involvement. That is culture and none are "buzzwords".
History part snipped.

All have been discussed by Huff in press conferences throughout the year.
All are buzzwords. Try harder, give 110%, want it more than the next guy, do the right things, no I in team, all that ho-ha.

You do realize Ted Lasso is a comedy, right?

I wasn't the only eye witness to the fight. There have been several on the board that spoke up about it when it occurred. If you know any Huntington or Marshall police officers (and yes the HPD was called - even though the fight was on Marshall property - due to the size of the group) feel free to ask them their account of it. It wasn't 1 or 2 players, we are lucky that there weren't major injuries and fallout. If you can't correlate the complete meltdown of the way the football team performed (for its final 3 games) directly following a public brawl, and connect the dots that they are related - well, that's on you for choosing to be obtuse. It only takes a handful of players (especially when they are starters) to poison the chemistry on a team, especially when the challenge is against the starting QB.
As someone mentioned previously, I don't know why anyone would look to the current players to get the nod on removing the guy that recruited them. Of course they are going to favor the status quo, especially when there is an apparent lack of discipline/structure/favoritism, etc.

History part snipped.

All are buzzwords. Try harder, give 110%, want it more than the next guy, do the right things, no I in team, all that ho-ha.

You do realize Ted Lasso is a comedy, right?
You do realize when buzzwords are backed by action (which is what is being done in the Shewey) they are no longer buzzwords, they become habits and lead to expectations. It is painfully obvious you have never been a part of a successful culture.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The graveyard of sports is filled with people who talked a good game.

Give me guys with great hands, rocket arms, lightening speed, great mental aptitudes, 20 to 30 pounds on each opposite lineman, able to bench unbelievable weights, etc and I will beat the **** out of the guys with signs that say “bear down” or “play like a champion today”.

I wasn't the only eye witness to the fight. There have been several on the board that spoke up about it when it occurred. If you know any Huntington or Marshall police officers (and yes the HPD was called - even though the fight was on Marshall property - due to the size of the group) feel free to ask them their account of it. It wasn't 1 or 2 players, we are lucky that there weren't major injuries and fallout. If you can't correlate the complete meltdown of the way the football team performed (for its final 3 games) directly following a public brawl, and connect the dots that they are related - well, that's on you for choosing to be obtuse. It only takes a handful of players (especially when they are starters) to poison the chemistry on a team, especially when the challenge is against the starting QB.
As someone mentioned previously, I don't know why anyone would look to the current players to get the nod on removing the guy that recruited them. Of course they are going to favor the status quo, especially when there is an apparent lack of discipline/structure/favoritism, etc.
Shouldn't be that hard for people to grasp should it. Especially your last sentence or two.

The graveyard of sports is filled with people who talked a good game BUT COULDN'T EXECUTE BECAUSE LACK OF DISCIPLINE AND CHARACTER.
FIFY.

Give me guys with great hands, rocket arms, lightening speed, great mental aptitudes, 20 to 30 pounds on each opposite lineman, able to bench unbelievable weights, etc and I will beat the **** out of the guys with signs that say “bear down” or “play like a champion today”.
You wouldn't attract these kinds of players because you wouldn't have the discipline to get them.

The graveyard of sports is filled with people who talked a good game.

That's the thing you don't want to acknowledge, Huff is actively backing his words up with actions that will take root. He says that every position is open and will be filled by the person that follows his philosophy - every week, not just when the player feels like it. He has shown that he follows through with it (ie Gaines standing on the sideline), it is not coach speak. Show me on the current roster (you know, the guys that Doc recruited) who possess all of the attributes listed in your quote. There is some potential there for sure, but lets not pretend that Huff waltzed into a locker room crowded with guys like you mentioned. If there is no expectation to "bear down" and "play like a champion today" isn't what 18-22 year olds are constantly drillled with, they will typically figure out how to do just enough to get by. The bar is being raised and he and his staff are actively working to achieve a new standard.
Huff has embraced Marshall and Huntington more in 10 months than what we experienced in the previous decade. The head football coach at this level has to be able to sell himself and the product. You can continue to view it as empty words if you choose but you will be wrong once again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT