ADVERTISEMENT

The reality of gun control

You people that are against background checks and some sort of behavioral health checks are the irrational psychos leading to more deaths of innocents.
I'm not against background checks moron. Background checks are required NOW!

Behavioral/health checks have to be very very controlled. "some sort" of behavioral check gets dicey. Not saying I'm against them fully, but would need to see the legislation before I agree or not. My general belief is that the govt would completely overreact (in most cases intentionally) just to restrict guns being purchased. In which case...the person would go find the gun and illegally purchase.

Are you saying that unlicensed dealers can sell guns illegally at gun shows?
It’s not illegal dipshit. I have a Glock you want it I can legally sell it to you without a background check. I wouldn’t because you’re to stupid to own a fire arm but legally I’m in the clear as long as I don’t sell it to you for illegal activity

No…gun shows do require a background check if bought through a licensed dealer. But you knew that. If you’re going to debate at least start from a place of facts
Right; but they also don’t require background checks if they’re not bought through a licensed dealer. If you can walk in a place and buy a gun without a background check depending on which booth/desk you walk up to, I think it’s fair to say background checks aren’t required to buy a gun there.

Not that background checks would stop hardly any mass shootings. I’m convinced absolutely nothing could. Background checks, waiting periods, etc are to solve other problems.

Right; but they also don’t require background checks if they’re not bought through a licensed dealer. If you can walk in a place and buy a gun without a background check depending on which booth/desk you walk up to, I think it’s fair to say background checks aren’t required to buy a gun there.

Not that background checks would stop hardly any mass shootings. I’m convinced absolutely nothing could. Background checks, waiting periods, etc are to solve other problems.
Most recent data says about 13% of all gun purchases are purchased without a back ground check. Not all 13% are done at gun shows. I’ve bought guns from friends wanting to get rid of them and sold guns to family members. I’m willing to bet that the majority of that 13% is in the same situation I was in regarding gun sales

Most recent data says about 13% of all gun purchases are purchased without a back ground check. Not all 13% are done at gun shows. I’ve bought guns from friends wanting to get rid of them and sold guns to family members. I’m willing to bet that the majority of that 13% is in the same situation I was in regarding gun sales
And most guns that are purchased, the vast vast majority, are never used in a crime.

What percentage of guns that are used in crime were purchased legally without a background check?

We’d probably know the answer to that had Congress not threatened to punish the CDC if they did any studies on gun violence. They finally started some studies again in the last couple years, though.

Have you ever been to a gun show.

Go buy a gun from one and let me know what your experience is.

And most guns that are purchased, the vast vast majority, are never used in a crime.

What percentage of guns that are used in crime were purchased legally without a background check?

We’d probably know the answer to that had Congress not threatened to punish the CDC if they did any studies on gun violence. They finally started some studies again in the last couple years, though.
Not surprised you would trust a CDC study.

Reactions: 19MU88
We unfortunately don’t know since Congress banned the government from doing research into gun violence, but two decades ago when they did study that they found about half were purchased legally, about half illegally. Gun shows were a pretty common purchase point since they don’t require background checks.
By the gang leaders or someone doing a straw man purchase which a federal offense.

Or purchased legally and then stolen?

They are not walking into bass pro and buying a gun. If they are a felon their background check will flag them right there. That data base is actually housed in WV.

Gun shows require a background check. ANY FFL dealer must do it. I have been to them.

I think the fear is irrational. People are dying daily.

53 Americans are killed every day by a gun
1.5 million Americans have died from gun terror in the last 50 years, more deaths than all the wars USA has been in combined.
45,000 died in 2020 due to gun terror
rational as in it would likely occur, so perhaps a better word would be logical or reasonable. let's not get into arguing semantics. i think, at least hope, you understand my point now, if you didn't prior.

I agree that violence is violence whether committed by a criminal gang or a psycho/racist 18-year-old. My main point is that every single gun sold in any location must conduct thorough background/behavioral health checks. Not everyone should be able to easily purchase a gun. If an 18 year old can't legally drink a beer, they shouldn't be able to legally buy a gun. Or it should at least be made HARDER for them to buy a gun. They must be placed under much more scrutiny.
frankly, i think the real argument here is the drinking age should be lowered back to 18 again. if an 18 year old can sign up to serve the country, they should be legal to consume alcohol. so, that's a bullshit comparison.

hell, the better question is if an 18 year can join/serve the military and shoot those pesky assault rifles, why can't they buy a gun?

I think the raional fear is give an inch and they'll try taking a mile.
Bingo. There was a time when I would have said, nah you're just being paranoid and supported the notion of banning weapons that offer functionality beyond what's needed for protection and hunting. I mean seriously, if you can't kill a deer in a couple shots, then you can't shoot for shit and don't deserve the kill.

But, given the current political landscape, fvck yeah I think giving an inch well ultimately cost us the 2nd Amendment.

Hey Libs.

Could you please stop with the asinine argument that the Founders couldn't foresee repeating rifles and that rednecks with AR-15's couldn't stop tanks.

Afghanistan is a thing.
Notice how that argument never migrated to things like the internet/twitter

Reactions: KyMUfan
Bingo. There was a time when I would have said, nah you're just being paranoid and supported the notion of banning weapons that offer functionality beyond what's needed for protection and hunting. I mean seriously, if you can't kill a deer in a couple shots, then you can't shoot for shit and don't deserve the kill.

But, given the current political landscape, fvck yeah I think giving an inch well ultimately cost us the 2nd Amendment.
That is what I keep saying. There are those in power, with immense power, that would take every gun out of this country and they would do it. They absolutely would.

That is what I keep saying. There are those in power, with immense power, that would take every gun out of this country and they would do it. They absolutely would.
Yep, just like they are going to eliminate all abortions, just like they eliminated alcohol in the 20's, like how nobody uses illegal drugs now.

Yep, just like they are going to eliminate all abortions, just like they eliminated alcohol in the 20's, like how nobody uses illegal drugs now.

Wow...

Abortion is legal in many Western nations, as is alcohol, as are various forms of drugs. Firearms, especially "non-sporting" arms, are not in most of these same nations.

Try a better analogy next time... You are attempting to make the LEGAL ownership of firearms into something illegal...

Reactions: mlblack16.
You don't think chuck Schumer wouldn't ban all guns if he could? If he had a way to force a turn in or buyback he wouldn't do it?

You don't think chuck Schumer wouldn't ban all guns if he could? If he had a way to force a turn in or buyback he wouldn't do it?
Very well might try, but it won't happen. History has been proven time and time again, you can't legislate moral values, or peoples beliefs. There will always be guns in this country, legally, or illegally.

Very well might try, but it won't happen. History has been proven time and time again, you can't legislate moral values, or peoples beliefs. There will always be guns in this country, legally, or illegally.

In the hands of criminals...

You are confusing morality with tyranny...

In the hands of criminals...

You are confusing morality with tyranny...

Maybe you should learn how to read an entire conversation before jumping in with your holier than now attitude. My comment was directed at Herdman's comment "There are those in power, with immense power, that would take every gun out of this country and they would do it. They absolutely would"

Do I disagree with him that there are forces out there? No, I don't. Do I think ALL GUNS will be taken out of this country. NO, because people will have them whether it is illegal, or legal. The same as people will have abortions, drink alochol, and use drugs.

To take your guns would require a supreme court decision (ain't going to happen) or a 3/4 of states to ratify an amendment (ain't going to happen). But go ahead and use the "they're going to take our guns" excuse to not do something about gun atrocities.

Maybe you should learn how to read an entire conversation before jumping in with your holier than now attitude.

Firearm ownership and self-defense are God-given rights. There is nothing moral about owning, or not owning, a firearm. Morality comes into play in how one chooses to use a firearm. Are firearms moral only in the hands of the police or the military, when both of these have been known to act immorallly? One only needs to look at recent world events to see examples of that.

Just because I chose to make, and illustrate, that distinction and also the distinction between the desire to legislate morality versus the desire for power that ultimately leads to tyranny doesn't make me "holier than thou"...

What I am saying there are tyrants. We have thenmm in disguise or in thr making.

The 2nd Amendment is the great equalizer.

What I am saying there are tyrants. We have thenmm in disguise or in thr making.

The 2nd Amendment is the great equalizer.
Don't disagree. I think there are tyrants that many on the right follow, as many on the left do to. The second amendment is the great equalizer and should never be taken away.

The second amendment is the great equalizer and should never be taken away.

That's why it should never be equated with abortion, Prohibition, drug legalization, etc. The opponents of 2A try to water-down the true reason for it with these comparisons. NONE of us should fall or be unwitting accomplices in that..

Eliminating abortions would be done by the Right.

Jump back over to the other side where you belong.
Reading comprehension would help, but I will try to explain to you as simplistic as I can get.

Abortions like alcohol and drugs are, or have been illegal in this country at one time. Did it stop people from having them? No, it did not. This wasn't a moral or liberal comment.... It a statement of historical fact about issues that have divided this country.

The original comment was directed at a statement that guns would be completely taken out of this country. I don't believe that to be the case. First it will be hard to constitutionally do, but lets say it does happen. Do you think everybody is going to comply and turn in their guns? No.

I am out people its been real, but as someone said I have go back to where I belong. The working class.

Last edited:
Do you think everybody is going to comply and turn in their guns? No.

In the meantime many will and those that don't will be criminals. Gun confiscation is real and has been practiced by many governments, tyrannical or not...

339A4F6F00000578-0-image-a-1_1461802951246.jpg

Reactions: mlblack16.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT