ADVERTISEMENT

"There's NOBODY on the roster good enough to replace Fancher..."

I did not think Cole was great or anything, but it is his first start. The notion that Fancher was clearly better and it wasn’t close enough to be debatable is just idiotic. The guy clearly has the tools. If he develops at any reasonable rate, he can be good. The biggest thing was he could pull the trigger.

I did not think Cole was great or anything, but it is his first start. The notion that Fancher was clearly better and it wasn’t close enough to be debatable is just idiotic. The guy clearly has the tools. If he develops at any reasonable rate, he can be good. The biggest thing was he could pull the trigger.
No. Cole wasn't great, but you saw qualities there that show he could be a good QB. At no point has Cam Fancher looked like he could be a legit QB.

Even if Cole proves to not be the answer he is still a better option than Cam.

In no way should Huff and Trickett breathe any sigh of relief with the QB position. They still need to hit the trail hard and bring in 1-2 QBs. Right now Cole is just being compared to Cam. Now he will be judged against his own body of work and that may not end up being good enough to make him QB1 of the future.

It's all about hope... We had 17 games to watch Fancher be what he is - A game manager.

At least by going to Pennington, with the season sputtering along, there is hope that we can salvage a bowl game out of this mess and that Cole can develop into a legit QB1. He should start the rest of this season and be given a spring of starter reps to see if he can continue to progress. Come fall, the job is open and the best guy we have is going to be out there, whether that's Pennington or some new recruit.

What I think is ridiculous.

Wells had a 1:1 TD / TO ratio and everyone wanted to run him out.
Cole has 0:5 and He is the greatest thing ever. But he sure looked good trying to recover his own fumbles.

Getting too funny.

BTW we are 10-point dogs to So. Alabama (5-5). I believe the most points to anyone in the SB. Apparently, the bookmakers are not buying it either.

Fancher went 10 - 1 and won 9 straight. No reason to even think of replacing him

Fancher lost at NC State but produced very well. No reason to even think of replacing him.

Fancher lost a road game to first place Georgia State, and we still didnt look terrible on offense. No need to replace him

Fancher lost James Madison at home to nationally ranked JMU without Rasheen Ali. No need to replace him.

Fancher lost at Coastal and needed replaced, so he was.

Fancher lost at Appy. Definitely probably not the place to start Cole for the first time, probably should have played Cole late, but didnt.

Cole replaced Fancher as the starter (injury or not) at home against Georgia Southern.

This was the best time to replace him, and arguably the first time that made sense to replace him as the starter.

No need to do it following the NC State game, or even Georgia State or JMU. Appy wasnt the right place, wouldnt have been the best situation for the team to get a win.

Last edited:

Cole has 0:5 and He is the greatest thing ever. But he sure looked good trying to recover his own fumbles.

Getting too funny.

BTW we are 10-point dogs to So. Alabama (5-5). I believe the most points to anyone in the SB. Apparently, the bookmakers are not buying it either.
No one is saying Pennington was great. He was far from great. But he improved as the game went along, he made throws that looked like a legit college QB would make, and most importantly in the second half when things were tight, he didn't fold and we won the game. The offensive line guys were hyped, Harris and Keaton made plays, Ali looked like Ali again... After watching five straight losses, the last three where Fancher looked completely lost out there, and two of which we got blown out, it was at least a sign of life.

Getting too funny.

Who should start then, and why?

Getting too funny.

Last time we were a double digit road dog to a Sun Belt team we won. No reason why we won’t do it again!!

Getting too funny.

Cole has started one game.

Not even going to count the debacle at Coastal where the team didn't even show up and there was no good game plan. He was put in an impossible situation.

Fancher went 10 - 1 and won 9 straight. No reason to even think of replacing him

Fancher lost at NC State but produced very well. No reason to even think of replacing him.

Fancher lost a road game to first place Georgia State, and we still didnt look terrible on offense. No need to replace him

Fancher lost James Madison at home to nationally ranked JMU without Rasheen Ali. No need to replace him.

Fancher lost at Appy. Definitely probably not the place to start Cole for the first time, probably should have played Cole late, but didnt.

Cole replaced Fancher as the starter (injury or now) at home against Georgia Southern.

This was the best time to replace him, and arguably the first time that made sense to replace him as the starter.

No need to do it following the NC State game, or even Georgia State or JMU. Appy wasnt the right place, wouldnt have been the best situation for the team to get a win.

Fancher went 10-1 and everyone who watched him objectively thought we should replace him.

Well then. If every fan that watched a qb go 10-1 thought he needed to be replaced then I guess the coach must be stupid for not following suit.
It's not 10-1 but 6-3 in the NFL is hard to do and most fans want an alternative to Kenny Pickett.
Style points matter.

Well then. If every fan that watched a qb go 10-1 thought he needed to be replaced then I guess the coach must be stupid for not following suit.
Ding ding ding! You are finally coming around to what even Stevie Wonder could see, that we needed a QB change! Welcome to the party, better late than never!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

Cole replaced Fancher as the starter (injury or not) at home against Georgia Southern.

At no point of the season has Georgia State been in first place in the East. The fact we got drilled at App shows that we didn’t have any chance to win with Cam. We were never competitive in that game with him.

Answer this. I think Cole had some positive impact on the outcome, but the real difference was we did a lot of different things on offense, wildcat, reverses, double pass, etc. why did it take our staff 3 games to try something different? Why did they keep beating the same dead horse for 13 straight quarters?

Getting too funny.

If you can't be honest then just stop posting.

Cole got hit by a defender on his first play, a passing play from our end zone, which was STUPID. His pass was deflected. Not much you can do about that.

Ali fumbled the ball, but in your world, Cole did it simply because he's not Fancher, amirite? Did you even watch the game?

Mr. Fancher (or one of Cam's relatives) Cam isn't ever going to be a QB1 for Div I-A football team. He's a great athlete out there trying to pass the football, but that's it.

If I'm not mistaken, Cam was only being offered by other schools to come play as something other than QB but Holliday gave him an offer, promising he would get a shot at QB.

We don't know if Cole will be able to take the reigns, but we do know Cam isn't capable, so it's time to move on.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
At no point of the season has Georgia State been in first place in the East. The fact we got drilled at App shows that we didn’t have any chance to win with Cam. We were never competitive in that game with him.

Answer this. I think Cole had some positive impact on the outcome, but the real difference was we did a lot of different things on offense, wildcat, reverses, double pass, etc. why did it take our staff 3 games to try something different? Why did they keep beating the same dead horse for 13 straight quarters?
Because I think we had Bill Legg in the booth calling plays instead of Trickett.

Love him or hate him, Legg is 2x the OC that Trickett is.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If you can't be honest then just stop posting.

Cole got hit by a defender on his first play, a passing play from our end zone, which was STUPID. His pass was deflected. Not much you can do about that.

Ali fumbled the ball, but in your world, Cole did it simply because he's not Fancher, amirite? Did you even watch the game?

Mr. Fancher (or one of Cam's relatives) Cam isn't ever going to be a QB1 for Div I-A football team. He's a great athlete out there trying to pass the football, but that's it.

If I'm not mistaken, Cam was only being offered by other schools to come play as something other than QB but Holliday gave him an offer, promising he would get a shot at QB.

We don't know if Cole will be able to take the reigns, but we do know Cam isn't capable, so it's time to move on.
Can't tell is Johns is a Cam fan or Harrison fan. LOL!

I need to see more from Cole before i am convinced he is the future here, but anyone that can't see he is an upgrade over the last 4-5 games version of Fancher is in denial.

I hope we make a bowl so Cole can get more experience moving into spring ball. The dude does have the best built in QB coach possible as a father, so it's reasonable to think that he will improve.

Long term though, I just don't know. I'd prefer a whole new coaching staff in place next season and go from there. If Cole is still the man in the new staffs eyes then awesome. Something about this current staff doesn't sit right with me. It feels like they are moving pieces around and no one is really in charge of what's going on.

Whoever made the call to let Legg call plays and put Trickett on the field deserves some credit though.

Fancher is not a good QB. Period. That record had way more to do with Laborn, Ali, and that Defense. The games where the defense was off we lost. Like that Coastal game last year.

We have won in spite of Fancher. Not because of him.

He never should have been the starting QB.

Last edited:
Stop giving him all the credit for that record. Something you claim you don't do yet do time and time again. Every game he's played it has pretty much been an offensive struggle and like I posted above when the defense had and off night or we lost our #1 back he couldn't get the job done.

Fancher is one of the worst QBs in all of college football and you keep acting like he was the one responsible for that record.

I need to see more from Cole before i am convinced he is the future here, but anyone that can't see he is an upgrade over the last 4-5 games version of Fancher is in denial.

I hope we make a bowl so Cole can get more experience moving into spring ball. The dude does have the best built in QB coach possible as a father, so it's reasonable to think that he will improve.

Long term though, I just don't know. I'd prefer a whole new coaching staff in place next season and go from there. If Cole is still the man in the new staffs eyes then awesome. Something about this current staff doesn't sit right with me. It feels like they are moving pieces around and no one is really in charge of what's going on.

Whoever made the call to let Legg call plays and put Trickett on the field deserves some credit though.
I don't think anyone is saying he is the future or is going to be his dad. That is just stupid talk and anyone doing it is just being influenced by their love for Chad.

The point is that he is better than Fancher. Now how much better and if he is viable for the future will be yet to be seen. Even if he goes out and throws for 300 and 4 TDs in each of the next 3 games, the staff still needs to recruit QBs like their jobs depend on it. Because they do.

Also Huff said after the game that Legg was spotting the field and Trickett was down on the sidelines so he could get a read on how Cole was reacting to the game. He likened to telling your girlfriend that you missed her over the phone or doing it in person. You can only really know how she's reacting to it if you're there.

Fact is this staff is trying everything right now to save their jobs. As of 11/11/2023 they've bought themselves another week.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD
I don't think anyone is saying he is the future or is going to be his dad. That is just stupid talk and anyone doing it is just being influenced by their love for Chad.

The point is that he is better than Fancher. Now how much better and if he is viable for the future will be yet to be seen. Even if he goes out and throws for 300 and 4 TDs in each of the next 3 games, the staff still needs to recruit QBs like their jobs depend on it. Because they do.

Also Huff said after the game that Legg was spotting the field and Trickett was down on the sidelines so he could get a read on how Cole was reacting to the game. He likened to telling your girlfriend that you missed her over the phone or doing it in person. You can only really know how she's reacting to it if you're there.

Fact is this staff is trying everything right now to save their jobs. As of 11/11/2023 they've bought themselves another week.
I figure we go 6-6 and bowling, they'll be back in 2024.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Well...I agree with the football world that QB is the most important player on the field. But it bugs the shit out of me when we single out one player and assign a win/loss record. Was Marshall 10-1 during Fancher's time at QB? Sure. Did Marshall win those games due to exceptional QB play? Not even close. It would actually be more appropriate this season to assign the wins and losses to the defense, recognizing, of course, that it has been a mediocre offense that has put undue pressure on them most of the season.

Look, I'm not saying Fancher didn't have his moments. I'm not even saying that another QB would have done any better. I do believe, though, that he should have been replaced at an earlier point in the season. Fancher had his chance to prove himself, and his development trajectory seemed destined to continue to straight-line. At least Cole still carries that wonderful/horrible characteristic: potential for improvement.

Well...I agree with the football world that QB is the most important player on the field. But it bugs the shit out of me when we single out one player and assign a win/loss record. Was Marshall 10-1 during Fancher's time at QB? Sure. Did Marshall win those games due to exceptional QB play? Not even close. It would actually be more appropriate this season to assign the wins and losses to the defense, recognizing, of course, that it has been a mediocre offense that has put undue pressure on them most of the season.

Look, I'm not saying Fancher didn't have his moments. I'm not even saying that another QB would have done any better. I do believe, though, that he should have been replaced at an earlier point in the season. Fancher had his chance to prove himself, and his development trajectory seemed destined to continue to straight-line. At least Cole still carries that wonderful/horrible characteristic: potential for improvement.

Did they win the games soley because of his play? No. But did his play help them win? Sure it did. He made plays with his arm and his legs. He didnt make mistakes that cost us games during that time frame.

The QB gets credit for the wins because he is the most important player on the field. The way he plays, the plays he gets the team into, etc. And he was at the helm while the team, led by him, went 10 - 1.

Did they win the games soley because of his play? No. But did his play help them win? Sure it did. He made plays with his arm and his legs. He didnt make mistakes that cost us games during that time frame.

The QB gets credit for the wins because he is the most important player on the field. The way he plays, the plays he gets the team into, etc. And he was at the helm while the team, led by him, went 10 - 1.
I thought that's what I said.

and he had a nationally ranked defense and a running back who came in had a fantastic season(one of the best ever by a Marshall running back).

Man I love to read your post ..

Here’s how many games Cam won for us. When we got behind, or the running game was being stopped, and put it on him, we have not won. We are 0-3 in games where he threw for 300 yards. Yeah, he threw the ball a lot and got the yards, but he is so damn inefficient doing it. We are 3-6 when he starts and the opponent scores 20 points.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT