ADVERTISEMENT

Time to go after big name coach now

Ohio and Solich have worked out well for each other. The Bobcats seem to be in the hunt each year for the MAC East title. However with only one 10 win season in the 13 years he's been there, and no MAC conference titles, I wonder if he would have been afforded that kind of tenure at Marshall?

Not at all.
I have said this before...

ohio is perfectly content with Solich because they now want 7-8 wins a season...since before he got there, they never seemed to win much at all. He has little to no pressure to win there...most OU fans are buckeye fans anyways and when you say Athens, OH you don't think of football, you think of Halloween partying and haunted areas.

At Marshall and Huntington, you think about the football teams that played there.

I'm not saying Solich is a bad coach, but for what ohio wants and he delivers, its perfect. However, it is a level below what Marshall demands...because 0-3 in MAC title games with at least 1 where the lead was blown, doesn't cut it here.

How has he been a dumpster fire when compared to the one before him?
Built an IPF, academic center, and sports medicine complex with an MU HoF.
Found us a coach who can win somewhat consistently.
Didn't ditch return games with P5 schools and brought many more to Huntington.
Hired a basketball coach everyone likes.

How is that a dumpster fire again?

Exactly. If you want Marshall to be Marshall, MH is the best AD we have ever had, period. IPF, stadium renovations, soccer complex, so on. Mostly he rebuilt the MESS that the previous AD, who DESTROYED all that had been built up over 2 1/2 decades by so many with his arrogance, incompetence, and illegality. But, if you are delusional and want Marshall to be Alabama, or at least Auburn, then you can gripe and complain.

Those of us with realistic expectations are quite happy and, indeed, grateful.

Exactly. If you want Marshall to be Marshall, MH is the best AD we have ever had, period. IPF, stadium renovations, soccer complex, so on. Mostly he rebuilt the MESS that the previous AD, who DESTROYED all that had been built up over 2 1/2 decades by so many with his arrogance, incompetence, and illegality. But, if you are delusional and want Marshall to be Alabama, or at least Auburn, then you can gripe and complain.

I think fans need to set a basis on what to realistically expect.

And stick to them.

We don't need a big time coach. We need a young coach who is energetic, has a track record of winning and employs an exciting offense as his scheme. Someone from FCS would be great. They double their salary, move up the ladder and a new excitement to Herd football. Think Brohm like.

I don't have so much of an issue with Doc. He lets Legg and Heater pretty much control things. Bringing in a good OC may make all the difference in the world. jmo

Grateful for mediocrity. Ok.

How many championships in any sport has MU won since Hamrick has been around . Nice weight room though.

Reactions: PullmanFinger
Can I just say, I now want Bo Pelini for the Christmas sweater/cat memes alone... Fire up Faux Pelini on Twitter.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Grateful for mediocrity. Ok.

How many championships in any sport has MU won since Hamrick has been around . Nice weight room though.

If you're going to measure championships alone as progress, then you are going to be very sad to see not many programs have conference titles...and not many have ones in football.
If you want to ignore the facilities Hamrick has helped us get, as well as these facilities putting us in a position to win titles, then really, this conversation is beyond you.

People complained "why can't we be like ECU and their new stadium upgrades?!?!?!"
Yeah, they're currently being crapped on by their conference in football...but yet many praised their "attempts to keep up with the P5."

It goes beyond titles.

If you're going to measure championships alone as progress, then you are going to be very sad to see not many programs have conference titles...and not many have ones in football.
If you want to ignore the facilities Hamrick has helped us get, as well as these facilities putting us in a position to win titles, then really, this conversation is beyond you.

People complained "why can't we be like ECU and their new stadium upgrades?!?!?!"
Yeah, they're currently being crapped on by their conference in football...but yet many praised their "attempts to keep up with the P5."

It goes beyond titles.

Mike has done an excellent job at facilities and scheduling. The shortcomings in his career have been coaching hires and his relationship with the fan bases. That's been pretty well documented, especially at ECU and UNLV.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Just out of curiosity.. does anyone know who else was interviewed here before Doc was selected? Interested in looking up where the other guys may have ended up and what kind of success they've had.

The one name the was heavily reported to have either had an interview or had one scheduled, was Butch Jones. He ultimately took the Cincinnati job which was open at the same time.

I'm not sure about actually interviewing, but Smock reported some names that were thrown around:

Butch Jones (I believe he did interview)
Bobby Petrino
Chuck Amato

I would have thought that Minter might have put his hat in the ring too, but I don't know that.

Mike has done an excellent job at facilities and scheduling. The shortcomings in his career have been coaching hires and his relationship with the fan bases. That's been pretty well documented, especially at ECU and UNLV.

Case in point. MH spending 6 weeks courting Mike only ending up with Danny.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
If there was one thing MU did right, it was the loyalty of the head coaches to the program.

Pruett, Snyder, and now Doc.....loyal

Pruett benefitted from the coaches who came, built, and moved on.

Snyder...loyal but terrible

Doc...would already be gone if he had the goods. Can’t beat a team with a heart beat. Easy to be loyal when no one has seriously enquired.

Again, it’s about championships. FAU and FIU already contending.

Reactions: joeyb184
We paid Doc and Snyder at the same time. Hamrick should be rung up for signing Doc to those contract extensions. Regardless, those things are negotiated and Snyder was paid in installments I believe.Some of the salary are perks that would not cost cash.

It can be done. I get tired of hearing it can't be done. If MU signed that deal with no way out then whoever agreed to it should be fired for incompetence. It is going to be simple math when ticket sales and donations dry up.

Shhhhhh. Real Sam claims to know simple math.

It goes beyond titles.
I said nice weight room.. Seems to be working out well.

Pruett, Snyder, and now Doc.....loyal

Pruett benefitted from the coaches who came, built, and moved on.

Snyder...loyal but terrible

Doc...would already be gone if he had the goods. Can’t beat a team with a heart beat. Easy to be loyal when no one has seriously enquired.

Again, it’s about championships. FAU and FIU already contending.
Not allowed to think of anything that doesnt agree with some on here though.
Parrish (84-85) 13-8-1. 2 seasons .614 win pct. K State HC in 86

Chaump (86-89) 33-16-1 4 seasons .670 win pct.
Navy HC in 90

Donnan (90-95) 64-21. 6 seasons .753 win pct.
Georgia HC in 96

Pruett (96-04) 94-23. 9 seasons .803 win pct.
Retired then DC for Virginia in 08

Snyder (05-09) 22-37. 5 seasons .379 win pct.
South Florida DC in 2010

Holiday (10-present) 57-38 8 seasons. 591win pct.

Doc obviously has been successful and if we get a good OC and we get back to winning then I don't think he has to go. If he refuses to change OC though and we keep losing to most teams with winning records then I don't understand why we wouldn't make a change. Leggs play calling is the dumpster fire everyone is so upset about. The people above him refusing to put out those flames and make changes is why their seats are getting hotter as well. I like Doc but I am frustrated with how things have been going with no real changes being made.

We should be after Les Miles or Bret Bielema if he gets fired. I wish Doc the best but he is bull headed and his refusal to let Bill Legg go has hurt the program. I wish both of them the best I am sure they are both good guys.
Les Miles restaurant tips were more than Doc makes.

Reactions: The Real SamC
We should be after Les Miles or Bret Bielema if he gets fired. I wish Doc the best but he is bull headed and his refusal to let Bill Legg go has hurt the program. I wish both of them the best I am sure they are both good guys.

LOL! Both, especially Les Miles got fired because they couldn't score and Miles' QB development was horrendous.

Bielema is boorish, arrogant A-hole, who thought he could play his plodding style of ball he utilized at Wisconsin in the SEC.. Check what they think about him down in porker land. His wife, on the other hand, well, I think we could all find some kind of "position" for her!! :)

LOL! Both, especially Les Miles got fired because they couldn't score and Miles' QB development was horrendous.
Look we both know Doc will be back next year. But really Bleeds do you not think a guy like Les Miles wouldn't tear it up here? What about Kevin Sumerlin if he gets cut loose?

It goes beyond titles.

WKU has something like 22 titles in all sports since they joined the league 5 years ago.
We have 3 I think since 2005.

We don't need a big time coach. We need a young coach who is energetic, has a track record of winning and employs an exciting offense as his scheme. Someone from FCS would be great. They double their salary, move up the ladder and a new excitement to Herd football. Think Brohm like.

I don't have so much of an issue with Doc. He lets Legg and Heater pretty much control things. Bringing in a good OC may make all the difference in the world. jmo

No knock on Doc.
..but when your Head Coach has a defensive coaching background...you are going to get what The HERD has. I hope Doc remains for a longer time...my hope too is we figure out how to have an offensive team that "lights up the scoreboard". Most football fans want to see points scored. Nothing more---nothing less.

Zilla22 in Charlotte

WKU has something like 22 titles in all sports since they joined the league 5 years ago.
We have 3 I think since 2005.

I think you are correct.
..men's football; ladies softball; and men's soccer. I think that is all we have to show for our time in CUSA. Not two impressive.

Zilla22

Look we both know Doc will be back next year. But really Bleeds do you not think a guy like Les Miles wouldn't tear it up here? What about Kevin Sumerlin if he gets cut loose?

No I don't. If I am replacing a guy who's offense is horrible I am not running out and getting a HC that was fired for the same reason just becaise he has a name.

Les Miles' philosophy is just as antiquated as Doc's.

NO RETREADS!

Go out and find some young up and comer who is aggressive. Go find us a Lincoln Riley.

Reactions: JC102
No I don't. If I am replacing a guy who's offense is horrible I am not running out and getting a HC that was fired for the same reason just becaise he has a name.

Les Miles' philosophy is just as antiquated as Doc's.

NO RETREADS!

Go out and find some young up and comer who is aggressive. Go find us a Lincoln Riley.
sorry Bleeds but if we did happen to cut Doc loose, I would be estatic if we were able to get Les Miles. I mean he only has a record of 114 w and 34 L. Oh and by the way a National Championship ring! That is better than some OC from a P5 school who has yet to prove if they can cut it as a HC.

It is funny that sumlin is brought up in this thread. Anyone know what their record is this year? 7-4 and their fans are not happy either. Reports are saying he is being fired no matter if they win or lose the last game. Playing in the SEC is much tougher than playing in CUSA and they have finished 8-5 the last 3 years. They aren't settling for just having winning seasons with a tougher schedule so why should we settle when we have such a weak schedule? Not saying to fire Doc (Legg must go) just asking why we are completely ok with our record against a weaker schedule? Local media will try to hype up our conference but our schedule rank is 127th while theirs is 52nd. I know we are not in the same category for resources and everything just saying we aren't playing any world beaters and there are so many people that are still ok with our record. Anyways I just found it interesting that he was on the hotseat (supposedly already fired) after multiple winning seasons and with the same record as ours against tougher opponents.

We have seen a number of times that when one of our players gets in Doc's doghouse they never get out. Same thing goes with Legg. We are stuck with Legg. Hammy won't pull the trigger and Doc won't either. Hammy is satisfied with the status quo like many fans. I'm not satisfied with a 7-5, 8-4 and 9-3 record. I want us to go undefeated. One thing that gets under my skin is losing a home game. That should never happen, with this staff a home game isn't a guarantee.

Reactions: joeyb184
We have seen a number of times that when one of our players gets in Doc's doghouse they never get out. Same thing goes with Legg. We are stuck with Legg. Hammy won't pull the trigger and Doc won't either. Hammy is satisfied with the status quo like many fans. I'm not satisfied with a 7-5, 8-4 and 9-3 record. I want us to go undefeated. One thing that gets under my skin is losing a home game. That should never happen, with this staff a home game isn't a guarantee.

Yet, you'll get that with young coaches seeing MU as a stepping stone.

sorry Bleeds but if we did happen to cut Doc loose, I would be estatic if we were able to get Les Miles. I mean he only has a record of 114 w and 34 L. Oh and by the way a National Championship ring! That is better than some OC from a P5 school who has yet to prove if they can cut it as a HC.

To them, that wasn't enough.
For our fans, we'll expect that out of him and if he fails to deliver, turn on him fast.

The level of delusion of grandeur exhibited in this thread approaches Houston, UC/SF, even WVU levels. Understand that there is NO CHANCE that any of the former coaches from nationally prominent programs would do anything but laugh in your face if you were the AD and approached any of them. Truth. Plain and simple. The other thing to understand that "get a top assistant" is a meaningless phrase, because there are HUNDREDS of assistants out there.

BTW, MU has hired retreads from what today's would be called the "power 5". 500 bonus points to who can name the last in football and basketball and their records.

Get a grip. Delusion makes the whole fan base look crazy.

Okay you say that for someone to make this statement is delusional makes me smile. As the OP I admit Doc is not going anywhere.In all likelihood he will be here for at least one more year and much longer if he can regain some mojo.. However, there are currently 9 HC in the G5 ranks who have formerly coached a P5 school. I'm not saying they are all awesome or anything else.
Jeff Teford
Frank Solich
Bob Davies
Mike Price (interim)
Terry Bowden
Butch Davis
Lane Kiffin
Charlie Strong
Randy Edsell

You see some of these guys would rather be a retread HC at a G5 school than a OC/DC at a P5 school or sitting in a Lazy- Boy watching ESPN. So we all due respect if our HC job opens up some day I say go after one of these guys( ex ; Les Miles)... you never know

SamC, Jirsa and Randle.

I think the kind of retreads we would attract would be guys that had ended up being tossed aside or had very bad records. A lot depends on what some of these guys got, or didn't get re: payouts or how much they made over their careers.
Plus, I am not sure whether we would have any booster willing to cough up the dough for some of these names. Even after Doc we will probably need to pay more for the next guy, if we want someone that is in demand.

SamC, Jirsa and Randle.

I think the kind of retreads we would attract would be guys that had ended up being tossed aside or had very bad records. A lot depends on what some of these guys got, or didn't get re: payouts or how much they made over their careers.
Plus, I am not sure whether we would have any booster willing to cough up the dough for some of these names. Even after Doc we will probably need to pay more for the next guy, if we want someone that is in demand.
And I would add that Sonny did get the program turned in the right direction despite his lack of wins.

Okay you say that for someone to make this statement is delusional makes me smile.

What would you call thinking that Les Miles is heading to Huntington then? Come on. Yes, you list a couple of coaches, most having personal or financial issues, who moved down from P5 to G5, but none of them are Miles or any of the other names like TAMU's or Arkansas' or Florida's soon to be ex-coaches. Get a grip.

The only guy among those that have been shown the door, or will be shown the door, that would be a great coach would be Mora...but he's so west coast that I doubt it would work. The others all have serious flaws.
The guy that would be best fit would be JMU's coach but he'll too soon be a candidate for a weak P5 or good G5 program, maybe this year.

FYI, I'd be surprised if Coach Heater goes more than 1 or 2 years, on his own choice. Sean is at USF, Chuck's got a retirement home in FL. Maybe I misjudged his desire to coach until he drops, but I think he and Doc might say goodbye at the same time.

SamC you are the type of person that keeps WV in the dark ages. Defeatism under the guise of realism. We can’t do this because (insert every bs defeatist attitude that West Virginians have had my whole life) it’s why WV is last in everything except heart disease and obesity. With those WV is number 1. Backwards thinking, never try anything because gosh darn it we are little old Marshall and we are in poor old WV.

You don’t have a freaking clue who Marshall could get to come here. Why in the hell wouldn’t a big name coach want to resurrect their career at a G5 that has a good fan base, good modern tradition, a good national name for a G5, new IPF, awesome weight room. There’s plenty to offer with Marshall. You act like we still play at Fairfield.

But don’t worry the majority of people at Marshall think just like you. We can’t we won’t the mantra of Marshall University. They will do nothing. I have no idea why the state loses population daily.

Reactions: ohio herd
What would you call thinking that Les Miles is heading to Huntington then? Come on. Yes, you list a couple of coaches, most having personal or financial issues, who moved down from P5 to G5, but none of them are Miles or any of the other names like TAMU's or Arkansas' or Florida's soon to be ex-coaches. Get a grip.
I don't know SamC if a top tier coach like Miles would come here or not....Do you? I never thought I had a chance of getting my wife to like me until I asked her out on a date. Sometimes you got to go above your pay grade dude. The benefits are worth it!

Well someone earlier posted about the cost for one of these former P5 coaches and what booster would come up with the cash. All I can say is, if Govermor Justice was so hell bent last year to fire everyone maybe he can come up with the cash. He could probably afford it and call it a donation to his Alma Mater.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT