ADVERTISEMENT

Today is/should be the day

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
Thank you to Coach Dan for your few years run as head basketball coach of the Marshall University Thundering Herd.

You stood up for your younger brother and volunteered for the job he obviously didn't want. You likely did the best you could, as would pretty much anybody making the jump from the Myrtle Beach high school circuit to D1 basketball. Enjoy the remainder of your life. Go live large at the beach. It's quite a good life from what I've understood over the years. Early morning cocktails, glamorous sunsets, and even your alma mater, the Marshall Thundering Herd will be playing a game on occasion within a short drive, albeit, only once a year. Pull out the tshirt and blazer, and make the drive up to Conway to support your alma mater.

Now, do the right thing today, and step down. Consider it a favor to the incoming A.D.

Onto the SBC for the Herd, and hopefully, with a little luck, and a new style of play, the Herd may be fortunate enough to once again go on that 8 day run.

Sadly, if you saw his post game news conference, which is on YouTube, you understand that this guy will be back next year and for as long as he wants.

It is clear to me, and to anyone who is paying attention, that a token effort at men’s basketball, indeed at all sports other than football and men’s soccer, is acceptable to those currently in power. DD will be followed by another character, different only in back story, but likewise sure that just showing up is certainly good enough. No one in power has given DD even the slightest hint that this failed effort, in one of the bottom conferences was anything but just fine with them, whatever. And now the Herd moves down into a yet lower basketball conference (averages a 15 seed). There to be controlled. And I am sure that ODU will do just that.

They don’t care if we win or lose.

Michigan and Sam No need to post this here. Send your comments to our new AD Christian Spears.

I don't understand all these posts about DD's making a choice. As reported last evening and this morning, he is nearing the end of his contract. The administration need to absolutely NOTHING if they choose that route. It was announced that Doc's contract would not be renewed or extended. That wasn't even necessary, but very appropriate and considerate to Doc. The same will probably be the school's step with DD. But there is, at this time, an ending date to his tenure with MU already established. It can either be confirmed, changed, or not even mentioned; and another coach sought.

I don't understand all these posts about DD's making a choice. As reported last evening and this morning, he is nearing the end of his contract. The administration need to absolutely NOTHING if they choose that route. It was announced that Doc's contract would not be renewed or extended. That wasn't even necessary, but very appropriate and considerate to Doc. The same will probably be the school's step with DD. But there is, at this time, an ending date to his tenure with MU already established. It can either be confirmed, changed, or not even mentioned; and another coach sought.

Would you opt to not retain DD if he beat a top 25 team with a solid basketball history, got his own team into the top 25 for a few weeks, then stumbled towards the end but made the conference finals, eventually losing, but being named CUSA CoY?

Oh wait, that was Doc.

Huge difference between the two.

Its not a hard process, its just a matter of what is the right way to handle it... DD's contract expires. Does the administration sit him down and let him know he isn't coming back in private, thus allowing him to announce his retirement and go out "on his terms"... Or does the administration make it public that he won't be back, thus clearly indicating he has been let go... Either way works, just end this nonsense and start over.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Would you opt to not retain DD if he beat a top 25 team with a solid basketball history, got his own team into the top 25 for a few weeks, then stumbled towards the end but made the conference finals, eventually losing, but being named CUSA CoY?

Oh wait, that was Doc.

Huge difference between the two.
I really don't understand your post, sorry.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
The one thing you guys seem to forget is..,.,,,
His sister is on the board of governors. That, his brother and the fact he is considered a distinguished alumni, the man will stay as long as he wants…….

Reactions: The Real SamC
The one thing you guys seem to forget is..,.,,,
His sister is on the board of governors. That, his brother and the fact he is considered a distinguished alumni, the man will stay as long as he wants…….
would be very surprised if his contract is extended. My guess is that the entire coaching staff is updating their resumes and DD will be retiring.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT