3. Barber
4. Martin
5. Davis
6. Watts
7. Shuler
8. Dobson
9. Marriott
10. Williams

Dobson and Williams nearly made my list. I really, really flirted with Dobson at that 10 spot. Williams was on the bubble as well. His 1999 season was fantastic but overall he just wasn't here long enough to make the same kind of impact in my opinion that the other 10 guys did in their careers. Thanks for reading!

Jim Cure

Fuzzy Filliez

Dennis Blevins

Jeff Ternes

Bruce Hammond

I had Fuzzy on my list. Jim Cure I left off because while being a great pass catcher he was officially listed as a TE not a WR. Ternes had a great 1968 season (especially at the time) but just didn't have the career numbers. Same with Blevins. But, we've had lots of great talent play the WR position.

Dobson is vastly overrated. He made 3 plays his entire time here. The Catch against ECU, the screen he took to the house against Southern Miss, and the Deep post against WVU. Other than that, don't really remember him doing anything else. There is a reason why he has been mostly a bust in the NFL

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Dobson is vastly overrated. He made 3 plays his entire time here. The Catch against ECU, the screen he took to the house against Southern Miss, and the Deep post against WVU. Other than that, don't really remember him doing anything else. There is a reason why he has been mostly a bust in the NFL

Dobson never putting a season together that matched his talent is why I ultimately left him off my list. And while Shuler was signed by the Als he has yet to appear on an active game day roster in Montreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandHerd1
I had Fuzzy on my list. Jim Cure I left off because while being a great pass catcher he was officially listed as a TE not a WR. Ternes had a great 1968 season (especially at the time) but just didn't have the career numbers. Same with Blevins. But, we've had lots of great talent play the WR position.

Cure lined up tight with BP and also split to flanker. Ternes should get love for no other reason than he had John Oertel at qb lol. Comparing numbers is useless because the game has changed, the shape of the ball changed, year round training has improved passing tremendously, and the rules changed to favor more offense to "entertain" the masses. I mostly named those guys to give them a little shout out to those who never saw them play.

Cure lined up tight with BP and also split to flanker. Ternes should get love for no other reason than he had John Oertel at qb lol. Comparing numbers is useless because the game has changed, the shape of the ball changed, year round training has improved passing tremendously, and the rules changed to favor more offense to "entertain" the masses. I mostly named those guys to give them a little shout out to those who never saw them play.

I know Cure split out some but like I said he was officially listed as a TE and at some point I'll probably do a list for TE's that Cure is sure to be on. And while I agree that the game has changed making it hard to compare players on numbers alone, the lack of opportunity many of these earlier guys got makes it equally as hard to upend anyone on the list.

Dobson is Top 10 in Career Receiving Yards, Top 10 in Career Receiving TDs and Top 10 in Single Season Receiving TDs. He also led Marshall in catches his So. and Jr. years.

It's those flashes of brilliance that made Dobson appear overrated. He was a very good receiver who played hurt.

There is a reason the Patriots have held onto him despite his injuries and lack of production. Although I suspect his time is running out.

Moss
Brown
Shuler
Barber
Davis
Watts
Poole
Fuzzy
Dowler
Dobson

Hard to compare eras cause game has changed so much. Cure was a wide receiver not a TE. MU had a guy name Venters from Pikeville KY as a tight end at that time and wide outs were Cure and a guy name "Bob Pruett". Pruett was the deep threat, Cure ran a lot of curls, and short to intermediate routes. Cure had real good hands, not a great amount of speed. Pruett, who also excelled in track at MU, was the "speed burner" at wide receiver. Had been clocked at a 9.5 in the hundred yard dash. Tight end was virtually a blocking position only under Charlie Snyder. Offense was strictly old "T formation" ball in early to mid sixties. Agree that over the decades we have had some very good quality receivers, including tight ends, slots, and wide-outs, regardless of the offensive schemes or styles!!

Hard to compare eras cause game has changed so much. Cure was a wide receiver not a TE. MU had a guy name Venters from Pikeville KY as a tight end at that time and wide outs were Cure and a guy name "Bob Pruett". Pruett was the deep threat, Cure ran a lot of curls, and short to intermediate routes. Cure had real good hands, not a great amount of speed. Pruett, who also excelled in track at MU, was the "speed burner" at wide receiver. Had been clocked at a 9.5 in the hundred yard dash. Tight end was virtually a blocking position only under Charlie Snyder. Offense was strictly old "T formation" ball in early to mid sixties. Agree that over the decades we have had some very good quality receivers, including tight ends, slots, and wide-outs, regardless of the offensive schemes or styles!!

Both Pruett and Cure were officially listed as TEs, I understand both split out a lot and Cure was used in the passing game a lot. But, officially in Marshall record books he is listed as a TE. While Pruett was listed as a TE/HB so I excluded him from my list. Not that I'm sure he would have made it anyway. But, I didn't even consider him because of his official listing. And it is hard to compare eras for sure. The game has changed a lot and guys over the more recent years had more opportunity. At the end of the day there isn't a right or wrong with thsee types of lists. They're just fun to talk about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT