ADVERTISEMENT

Trump increasingly deciding winners and losers in the economy

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
“It replaces the invisible hand with the government hand,” said Mary Lovely, a Syracuse University economist. “You’re replacing the market with government fiat.”

On Friday, citing national security, Trump ordered the Energy Department tocompel power-grid operators to buy from ailing coal and nuclear plants that otherwise would be forced to shut down because of competition from cheaper sources.

The order came one day after the president imposed historic metals tariffs on some of the country’s strongest allies and trading partners. Now the Commerce Department is further picking winners and losers as it weighs thousands of requests from companies for waivers from the import taxes.

On May 23, Nucor — the largest domestic producer — called upon Commerce to reject an exclusion bid by London-based Evraz that would allow it to import steel slab from Russia.

the Energy Department should invoke emergency authority under Cold War legislation — the Defense Production Act of 1950 and the Federal Power Act — to require regional electricity grids to purchase electric power from a list of plants chosen by the department.

Industry experts expect that the Appalachian coal mining firm Murray Energy and the Ohio-based utility FirstEnergy — which first broached the idea of a rescue plan to Perry last year — will be near the top of the list of companies benefiting from Trump’s order.

Murray chief executive Robert Murray and FirstEnergy chief executive Charles E. Jones Sr. have contributed heavily to Trump and GOP political activities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...944de66d9e7_story.html?utm_term=.bcbe5caa83c2

n Friday, citing national security, Trump ordered the Energy Department tocompel power-grid operators to buy from ailing coal and nuclear plants that otherwise would be forced to shut down because of competition from cheaper sources.

I particularly like this quote. This guy writes an outright lie and states it as fact, knowing that idiot leftists like dtard will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Obama was a prime example of a president choosing winners and losers. He specifically targeted the coal industry while giving billions to alternative energy companies that still failed. His Obamacare mandate targeted small business owners as well. Keep fulfilling campaign promises, President Trump.

I have a several key philosophies in life. One is that if liberals are mad, then things must be going well. Another one is that liberals ruin everything. Both apply here.

Last edited:
I particularly like this quote. This guys writes an outright lie and states it as fact, knowing that idiot leftists like dtard will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Obama was a prime example of a president choosing winners and losers. He specifically targeted the coal industry while giving billions to alternative energy companies that still failed. His Obamacare mandate targeted small business owners as well. Keep fulfilling campaign promises, President Trump.

I have a several key philosophies in life. One is that if liberals are mad, then things must be going well. Another one is that liberals ruin everything. Both apply here.

the left knows how to use their own useful idiots, dtard being one.

I particularly like this quote. This guys writes an outright lie and states it as fact, knowing that idiot leftists like dtard will buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Did Obama ever tell power producing companies where to purchase energy sources?

Didn’t think so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT