ADVERTISEMENT

trump promise to carrier employees just another scam

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
At the Carrier plant on the west side of Indianapolis, we’re coming up on a bitter anniversary. One year ago this week, President-elect Donald Trump stood before hundreds of cheering workers and declared that he had saved our jobs from moving to Mexico. It was a symbolic moment that cemented Trump’s campaign image as a working-class champion — a blue-collar billionaire who would stand with workers, not CEOs.

I have been a worker at the Rexnord plant in Indianapolis for 48 years, and president of United Steel Workers Local 1999 for more than 30. As the leader of the union representing the Carrier workers, I was part of the negotiations with the company regarding the coming layoffs when Trump intervened. Standing in front of the president-elect at Carrier during Trump’s first victory rally after the 2016 election, I realized that he was delivering a powerful message of hope not only to Carrier workers, but also to all working people in America: You finally have a president who will fight for the interests of ordinary workers, Trump seemed to say.

[I’m the union leader Trump attacked. And I’m tired of being lied to about our jobs.]

A year later, we feel betrayed. Carrier has announced that more than 600 workers are being laid off, with the last line scheduled to work their final shift right after the holidays.

The workers at Carrier aren’t the only ones who feel victimized by Trump’s false promises. United Technologies, Carrier’s parent company, is laying off another 700 workers right up the road from the Carrier plant in Huntington. And Rexnord, another plant in Indianapolis, just closed its doors, too. Workers at both plants hoped that Trump would come to the rescue, but he never showed up.

Beyond Indiana, workers across the country feel like they too are victims of a false Trumpian bargain, in which they were invited to trade their votes to keep their jobs. In fact, according to new research conducted by Good Jobs Nation, more than 91,000 jobs have been sent overseas since Trump was elected, the highest rate of jobs lost to outsourcing in five years.

This summer, I traveled across the Midwest, from Indianapolis to Kalamazoo to Racine, to talk with hundreds of manufacturing workers who lost their jobs to foreign countries. Many of them (some wearing “Make America Great Again” hats) agreed that Trump hasn’t lived up to his end of the deal.

“I don’t think he’s really going to come through, even though I hoped he would,” one laid-off worker told me.

“He pulled a bait-and-switch on us,” another said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...erything:homepage/card&utm_term=.2e7f055ac4dc

U.S. Unemployment Rate: 4.1%

Lowest in many, many, many years.

Meanwhile, Indiana's unemployment rate of 3.4% is one of the lowest in the nation.

Thanks POTUS.

Reactions: WV-FAN
THERE YOU GO AGAIN! WHEN DID THE "REAL UNMPLOYMENT RATE"
BECOME IRRELEVANT? AFTER YOU SPENT ALL THE OBAMA YEARS
SAYING THE "REAL UNEMPLOYMET RATE" IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS.
AS USUAL YOU ARE JUMPING FROM ONE SIDE OF THE STREAM TO THE
OTHER TO FIT YOUR WARPED WORLD VIEW.

BESIDES TRUMP HAS NOT PASSED A SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION, HOW
ON EARTH CAN YOU POSSIBLY CLAIM CREDIT FOR FALLING UNEMPLOYMENT?
WE ALL KNOW TRUMP IS MENTALLY UNSTABLE - APPARENTLY THE BASE IS
ALSO AFFLICTED.

REAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS 9.4%

CONTINUING A TREND WHICH BEGAN IN THE CLINTON
ADMINISTRATION THEN SHOT UP DURING THE LAST REPUBLICAN ADMIN. THEN BEGAN TO
FALL AGAIN UNDER THE LAST DEM. ADMIN.

LIKE TRUMP SAID (WHEN HE WAS SANE) "DEMOCRATS JUST DO A BETTER JOB WITH THE ECONOMY"

ITS TRUE LOOK IT UP.

U.S. Unemployment Rate: 4.1%

Lowest in many, many, many years.

Meanwhile, Indiana's unemployment rate of 3.4% is one of the lowest in the nation.

Thanks POTUS.
When Obama was President:
"The lower unemployment numbers are not a true reflection of the unemployment rate."

Under Trump
"Go Trump, our unemployment numbers are near record lows thanks to his leadership"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT