ADVERTISEMENT

Uncomfortable Post-Season Thoughts - Round 1

Oh those play a part. We never seem to veer away from the original game plan. You know how every team scripts their first series or two? Well most of our games look like we scripted the entire game and no matter what they do we don't veer or adapt. We just do what we were going to do even if it works or not. Go watch Boise. Knox owned the first quarter and a half then BSU adjusted. Did we do anything different to get Knox and King going again? Nope. We just called the same couple plays we always do.

Look at Charlotte and them running that same QB sneak over and over again and we never adjusted.

Ohio with the slant pass. They just did over and over again back.
MTSU... we kept letting that LB get free runs at green and wouldn’t adjust or shift protection.

Did anyone notice the offense waiting forever for plays on Saturday? There were multiple times that the offense had to wait deep into the play clock before they even got the play. Several of these instances had the players visibly frustrated. And I think we had to use a timeout because of this in the first half?

MTSU... we kept letting that LB get free runs at green and wouldn’t adjust or shift protection.

Did anyone notice the offense waiting forever for plays on Saturday? There were multiple times that the offense had to wait deep into the play clock before they even got the play. Several of these instances had the players visibly frustrated. And I think we had to use a timeout because of this in the first half?
Yes. Going back and watching the game the commentators were pointing that out.

We ran tempo on the first drive of the game, then snapped it on 00's every drive after. There's no explanation.

We ran Xavier Gaines out of the backfield multiple times a game first four games of the season, then stopped completely, then started again the last four games.

Maybe if we had better journalists covering Marshall sports, some folks who will ask a technical question once in a while instead of trying to bait the coach into a sound bite (Landon) or asking a player what his favorite meal is (Traylor), we might know a little more about what's going on and what goes into it.

Unfortunately, just watching from afar, it just looks like nobody really knows for sure what they're trying to do.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Maybe if we had better journalists covering Marshall sports, some folks who will ask a technical question once in a while instead of trying to bait the coach into a sound bite (Landon) or asking a player what his favorite meal is (Traylor), we might know a little more about what's going on and what goes into it.

I think Landon knows that if he were to ever really ask a technical based question...….he would never get an answer worth printing.

While watching the LaTech telecast the game announcers (CBS Sports) mentioned their interview with Doc during the week.....(I am paraphrasing) "When we spoke with Doc earlier this week...we quickly realized he isn't one of the most technical coaches..." Uhhhh. Ouch.:oops:

Reactions: herdalicious
Of course, Green has missed his WR’s many times this year. But it’s not all on him, it goes both ways and IMO, if our WR’s weren’t so young and inexperienced as a whole, we wouldn’t have had to rely on the TE’s so much.
You Really believe it’s because they were young ?
Come on guys it’s not like this is the SEC we are talking about .. And yeah Obi had decent numbers in 3 Games . But let’s be clear he got targeted 7-8 times per game, NO other WR got that many targets like that all season .
Look at the end of the day we all want the best for Marshall Football and hopefully next season everyone will be happy with the results ...

And yeah there were a few drops I agree with that, but to say it was because they were young is not the reason the numbers were low ..
If u guys are Football people like you proclaim then go look at the numbers, BECAUSE they NEVER LIE .....

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
You're obviously a Thompson fan and so am I. Thought he had a decent first year showing and has a lot of promise. However, Obi got more targets because he has a more polished understanding of the game, which is to be expected given his experience. He has better awareness due to that experience and does a better job of altering his routes and working back to the ball when things break down.

In other words, he gets open more, so he gets targeted more. Plus he has earned the confidence of the QB. With Thompson working with Green this off season I'm sure you'll see his targets go up next year, he's a talented kid with good hands.

Reactions: TeamThompson88
You Really believe it’s because they were young ?
Come on guys it’s not like this is the SEC we are talking about .. And yeah Obi had decent numbers in 3 Games . But let’s be clear he got targeted 7-8 times per game, NO other WR got that many targets like that all season .
Look at the end of the day we all want the best for Marshall Football and hopefully next season everyone will be happy with the results ...

And yeah there were a few drops I agree with that, but to say it was because they were young is not the reason the numbers were low ..
If u guys are Football people like you proclaim then go look at the numbers, BECAUSE they NEVER LIE .....

And yet, through all of this, you never said why the numbers are so low. Obviously, playing with several freshmen WR’s will result in ups and downs. That’s conventional football wisdom. Maybe no other WR got that many targets a game because they weren’t open.

All of you guys have valet points that I agree with .
But we all know guys film doesn’t lie and when you go back and look at film U will see there were many times WRs were open.. I’m a believer in matchups that are favorable . And we had some of those match Ups many times this season ..

I enjoy the conversations and view points you guys or gal’s bring to the table ..
Until the next time Happy Holidays ..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT