ADVERTISEMENT

Unemployment claims fall to 52-year low

Chevy1

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 26, 2002
  • Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
Some good news

"The number of Americans applying for first-time jobless claims reached the lowest level since November 1969, with the number of filings dropping to 199,000."

First-time jobless claims aren't a real good indicator of the strength of the economy. Labor participation is a much better measure.

"The unemployment rate drop came with the labor force participation rate holding steady at 61.6%, still 1.7 percentage points below its February 2020 level before the pandemic declaration. That represents just shy of 3 million fewer Americans considered part of the workforce and is reflective of ongoing concerns about staffing levels."

As awful as life is right now, this is damn good news really.

Think about what we had. Everything closed. Shutdowns, lock downs, everyone with masks everywhere, Nazis at the stores yelling if you didn't wear it, no haircuts, no anything.

It was the worst. If I wasn't in so much hell about 1,000 other things, I'd stop and enjoy how we have seemingly emerged from most of the bullshit.

All-time high stock market isn't a good indicator of the economy

52 year low unemployment claims also isn't a good economic indicator

5+% GDP growth - so what?

Read... it's not all good...
Who said it was "all good". Be thankful for good news during this time of Thanksgiving. People are employed... investments are productive...and the country's GDP is enjoying a growth spurt not seen in a while. I suppose you'd be happier if the opposite were true? Of course not!

Be happy.

Reactions: GK4Herd
Do you honestly think the economy is on solid ground right now?
There are positives.....a little early to call "solid ground".... supply chain issues need resolved and the resulting inflation needs to be reined in. But many economists believe that could occur in '22. At any rate, it's much better than where we've been since COVID.

There are positives.....a little early to call "solid ground".... supply chain issues need resolved and the resulting inflation needs to be reined in. But many economists believe that could occur in '22. At any rate, it's much better than where we've been since COVID.
How is inflation going to be reeled in when the feds keep passing bogus infrastructure bills and spending bills? Pumping money in won't help it. Besr thing they could do is sit back and let it recover. Too much artificial money in circulation.

How is inflation going to be reeled in when the feds keep passing bogus infrastructure bills and spending bills? Pumping money in won't help it. Besr thing they could do is sit back and let it recover. Too much artificial money in circulation.
Some have been predicting stock market collapse last November. It's been a steady diet of economic doom since the election. Merely pointing out there are some positive indicators.

The infrastructure bill appears to be financially sound - 19 Rep senators voted for it....TDS kept the number down in the house.

The other Biden "human infrastructure' bill isn't done....who knows what thing will look like after (if) it gets thru the Senate.

Some have been predicting stock market collapse last November. It's been a steady diet of economic doom since the election. Merely pointing out there are some positive indicators.

The infrastructure bill appears to be financially sound - 19 Rep senators voted for it....TDS kept the number down in the house.

The other Biden "human infrastructure' bill isn't done....who knows what thing will look like after (if) it gets thru the Senate.
I have been predicting a stock market downturn Jan- April 2022 for about the last 6 months. But I'm no expert.

I have been predicting a stock market downturn Jan- April 2022 for about the last 6 months. But I'm no expert.

Much of current news is agenda and emotion driven. Financial news is no different. Can't say anything like labor participation rate is a better indicator of the economy than first-time unemployment claims or you're a Trumpist. Likewise can't state a fact like the average PE ratio of the S&P 500 is double its historical average indicating the market is overvalued either.

Much of current news is agenda and emotion driven. Financial news is no different. Can't say anything like labor participation rate is a better indicator of the economy than first-time unemployment claims or you're a Trumpist. Likewise can't state a fact like the average PE ratio of the S&P 500 is double its historical average indicating the market is overvalued either.
A PE ratio is beyond the knowledge of most talking heads.

Reactions: KyMUfan
How long ago were Dems screaming about extending unemployment benefits, now they are taking credit for weekly jobless claims. Man you gotta love politics
Apparently wages are just fine and there’s no need to pay more to attract workers now.

I don't love politics because they're all the same and all tax and spend liberals. Even the Republicans are. That's the most disappointing thing about it. Trump passed out the welfare checks quicker than Biden. He had better people working the printers.

Fiscal conservatism is nothing but a mirage with a wild goose flying over it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT