ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early bowl predictions

Since 2001...Illinois posted winning seasons 5 times. 2 of those being major BCS bowls, 2001 and 2007.

Since 2001...NIU posted 2 SEASONS NOT REACHING A BOWL, 2007, and 2016...with their most recent major BCS bowl being in 2012...2 years before we got them.

In a 16 year span...

Illinois' winning seasons 5/16.
NIU's winning seasons 14/16.

I think if you compared these two, NIU is for sure the better team and earned more respect in that time than Illinois did.

Now, if Illinois posted some winning seasons more consistently, then I would agree with your statement. Thing is, they aren't likely to get anywhere anytime soon.

I also would like to add that this sort of criteria doesn't apply to everyone. It certainly doesn't apply to Illinois the way it would apply to someone like Texas, Louisville, Oregon, FSU, Clemson, K-State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc., teams who may not have much in terms of winning but are very recognizable. Even Maryland, I would put in there...Under Armour and their whole sort of brand is somewhat recognizable...but that's about the limit for me, in my opinion.

I know I'm contradicting myself a bit, but I still say, outside of NIU and UI, the majority of college fans (keep in mind they couldn't quote a single statistic you listed) would have the "perception" that Illinois was a more impressive win than NIU, simply because they're B1G.

I'm not saying I agree with the notion, at all, but that's the mindset of probably the overwhelming majority of so-called college football fans today, which would create the national perception of teams' performances.

Last edited:
Here's the way I perceive it. Marshall's has one of the best brand names in the G-5 ranks, so whether the Herd is 6-6 or 12-0, TV executives know that a game featuring Marshall will attract eye balls, even those of casual football fans . So if I'm a P-5 conference and I need a G-5 to fill the opposing team bowl slot, I'd lobby hard for a Marshall.

Here's the way I perceive it. Marshall's has one of the best brand names in the G-5 ranks, so whether the Herd is 6-6 or 12-0, TV executives know that a game featuring Marshall will attract eye balls, even those of casual football fans . So if I'm a P-5 conference and I need a G-5 to fill the opposing team bowl slot, I'd lobby hard for a Marshall.
If your assessment of TV executives and the Marshall brand were true, we wouldn't be scrambling to watch Marshall football games on facebook. :confused:

Has anyone noticed for the last 2 weeks there have been predictions of Marshall playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte if we when out?

Has anyone noticed for the last 2 weeks there have been predictions of Marshall playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte if we when out?
As I have mentioned in other threads. Louisville plays Kentucky in basketball that same day. No way they get asked or would they accept to go there. They would have very minimal ticket sales from Louisville

Reactions: The Real SamC
Some of the bowl predictions after week 12, as of November 21st.

SI - vs USF – St. Pete
SB Nation - vs Toledo – Dollar General Bowl (Mobile)
Sporting News. - vs USF – Boca Raton Bowl
CBS Sports. - Army – Armed Forces Bowl
College Football News - vs Navy – Military Bowl
ESPN - (Bonagura) - vs Utah – Heart of Dallas Bowl
ESPN - (Hale) - vs Houston – St. Pete
USA Today - vs Houston – Boca Raton
Bleacher Report - vs Army – Armed Forces Bowl

Some of the bowl predictions after week 12, as of November 21st.

SI - vs USF – St. Pete
SB Nation - vs Toledo – Dollar General Bowl (Mobile)
Sporting News. - vs USF – Boca Raton Bowl
CBS Sports. - Army – Armed Forces Bowl
College Football News - vs Navy – Military Bowl
ESPN - (Bonagura) - vs Utah – Heart of Dallas Bowl

Cool out of the 9 on there only 9 of them blow.

Reactions: mlblack16.
I like Marines bowl pick - the “Popeyes Weedeater” Bowl. By the way Marine where is that bowl being played? LOL

Week 12. Same as before! No MAC schools. No Bahamas regardless of team. Right now I would go to see most of THESE games. The odds are better for Independent, AAC and P5! Matchups looking better and better!

Let me rephrase that. At this point, the only bowl I would attend would be the military Bowl in Annapolis. Huge fan turnout. Would show our travel ability and fan support. UNLESS we get to play a P5, then I would go to that game!

SI - vs USF – St. Pete 1.3 mil
SB Nation - vs Toledo – Dollar General Bowl (Mobile) 1.5 mil
Sporting News. - vs USF – Boca Raton Bowl 800k
CBS Sports. - Army – Armed Forces Bowl 1.767 mil
College Football News - vs Navy – Military Bowl 2.2 mil
ESPN - (Bonagura) - vs Utah – Heart of Dallas Bowl 1.667 mil

My vote would be take on the Pac-12 in Dallas.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
Who gives a crap about what crap bowl we get..... we don’t derlserve it, the team doesnt deserve it, the coaches don’t deserve it, the school doesn’t derserve it. If Hamrick had any nuts at all he would decline whatever invitation he gets..... for a school that doesn’t have any money, at least that’s what all the super fans claim, why would you take a financial hit to go to a crap bowl game?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Pick your poison. Play a MAC team and lose or play an AAC and lose. Pick your poison. Won't get a shot at a P5 team. Army may be the best bet.

It might be the Bahamas Bowl. IF UTSA beats LT today, I think we'll finish 7th overall in the conference. The conference will have more eligible teams than contracted bowls. The Bahamas Bowl might be the only thing left for us.

Also, as of this writing, there are 79 bowl eligible teams (could be as many as 82 after next weekend) for 78 slots. So who stays home? A 6-6 SunBelt team? (Louisiana or NM State) A 6-6 MAC team? (Buffalo or WMU) A 6-6 CUSA team? (MTSU or WKU)

I don't know if it was so much Doc and Hamrick being cowards as it was just another hilljack, amateur move on their part. It's their way of thinking that keeps us down. Idiots on here who tried to argue we would garner more respect nationally by beating a MAC team vs mud-stomping a B1G are also to blame with this mentality.

The longer the list of wins over teams from major conferences the better, regardless of how good/bad they were the year we played. They would be far more memorable than, "yeah, we beat the MAC champion that year."

I will throw one out at you to make my point that defeating a big name program, no matter the final record that big time school finished with at seasons end.....

Appy State winning against Michigan in the Big House.
The media still refers to that win for the Boone Mountaineers as the Biggest Upset in the history of College football. I say Bullshit...but that game is still talked about...even this year!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte...

I still HERD from Appy fans...."remember..."We beat Michigan"...who has The HERD ever beaten with a name like Michigan"....BULLSHIT Appy State.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
.........am I correct in stating that we finish the season w/o defeating a team with a end-of-season winning record? Really disappointed in the coaching staff this season. Changes are needed, but won’t be made....

Reactions: Russ Priddy
Some of the bowl predictions after week 13, as of November 28th.

SI - vs Houston – Frisco Bowl
SB Nation - vs Houston – Frisco Bowl
Sporting News. - vs USF – Boca BowlCBS Sports. – Appalachian State – Cure Bowl
College Football News - vs Army – Armed Forces Bowl
ESPN - (Bonagura) - vs K-State – Heart of Dallas Bowl
ESPN - (Hale) - vs Temple – Boca Bowl
USA Today - vs Fresno State – New Mexico Bowl
Bleacher Report - vs Ohio – Bahamas (evidently they didn’t keep up with the news)
NBC Sports – vs Colorado State – New Mexico Bowl
Yahoo Sports – USF – Boca Bowl

Leaving out already assigned UAB, the West division has 4 bowl teams (UNT, USM, LA Tech, and UTSA). There is no reason for MU to be sent out west, this year or any other. MU will either get one of the Florida bowls or be sent to New Orleans.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Leaving out already assigned UAB, the West division has 4 bowl teams (UNT, USM, LA Tech, and UTSA). There is no reason for MU to be sent out west, this year or any other. MU will either get one of the Florida bowls or be sent to New Orleans.

If FAU wins the CUSA championship game, and Florida State accepts a bid to the Independence Bowl (as expected), I would think FIU would take that game... North Texas would not officially get to pick its destination (Im betting CUSA would listen to their request) but my guess would be that they would pick the Heart of Dallas Bowl against a P5 opponent if the Big 10 cant fill that game. After that, who knows where the dominoes fall, but my predictions are...

Independence – FAU vs. Florida State
Heart of Dallas – North Texas vs. Texas (UNT taking an unfilled Big 10 tie-in)
New Mexico – UTSA vs. Colorado State
Armed Forces – Southern Miss vs. Army
St. Petersburg – FIU vs. USF
Boca – Marshall vs. Temple
Cure – Western Kentucky vs. App State
New Orleans – La. Tech vs. Troy
Bahamas – UAB vs. Ohio (already decided)

I have MTSU not making a bowl game based solely on the fact that UTSA was technically 6-5, not 6-6, and because MTSU lost to WKU.

Who gives a crap about what crap bowl we get..... we don’t derlserve it, the team doesnt deserve it, the coaches don’t deserve it, the school doesn’t derserve it. If Hamrick had any nuts at all he would decline whatever invitation he gets..... for a school that doesn’t have any money, at least that’s what all the super fans claim, why would you take a financial hit to go to a crap bowl game?
Are you crazy like your avatar? You always accept a bowl bid as it gives you a bunch of extra practices where you can work with your younger players to prepare for next year, and a chance to showcase your program on national TV. Plus, the extra money from bowl bids is important for us and the conference.

Are you crazy like your avatar? You always accept a bowl bid as it gives you a bunch of extra practices where you can work with your younger players to prepare for next year, and a chance to showcase your program on national TV. Plus, the extra money from bowl bids is important for us and the conference.

91 claimed declining the bowl game was a positive thing?!?!
We don't lose money through travel since the entire conference pools money together for those who made the bowls. That's about one of the only positive things C-USA does.

Also, the conference states they follow W-L records to set the order for bowl selection. FAU and UNT pick first, then Southern Miss (since UAB took the Bahamas trip), then FIU, Marshall and then the 6 win teams after that.

Who knows if the conference has been in discussions to trade bowl slots or not.

Today's HD says its almost certain to be either Boca or Orlando... Boca probably puts Marshall up against either Houston or Temple... Orlando opponent would likely be either App. State or Georgia State.

Reactions: HerdFan1971
Also, the conference states they follow W-L records to set the order for bowl selection. FAU and UNT pick first, then Southern Miss (since UAB took the Bahamas trip), then FIU, Marshall and then the 6 win teams after that.

Who knows if the conference has been in discussions to trade bowl slots or not.
Acutually, only champion gets their pick. The only other picking order is that 7+ win teams get guaranteed bids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT