ADVERTISEMENT

We have to change QBs

I cant believe that Cole Pennington being coached by his dad since he was a kid isnt able to throw the football downfield much better than Cam Fancher. There is no excuse for the coaching staff to keep sending a Marshall QB out there every week that doesnt have the ability to throw a football downfield. I appreciate Fancher and the effort he gives but he is simply not QB material.

He had no good connections. He wasn't a coordinator, a position coach like our last two hires. This is why the BOG failed in the search. You need candidates with HC experience or at worst, extensive OC/DC experience- who have connections.
As said in another post, the connections a guy has are likely more important than anything else.
Huff was hired because he was ranked as one of the top recruiters in the country. The thinking was even if Huff wasnt the best coach, he could infuse a lot of talent into the Marshall program and Marshall would win just on the massive amount of talent the team had.

The problem I have always had with that thought process is how hard is it to bring in a bunch of 4 an 5 star recruits to Alabama? Marshall doesnt have a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys because recruiting at Marshall isnt like recruiting at Alabama so you are left with Huff's coaching abilities to win conference championships which he obviously cant do because he is not a good head coach.

This. Huff has always been full of crap. I noticed it from day one I just can't believe the people that hired him aren't intelligent or worldly enough to see it also. Well, actually, I do know why they hired him…

No you didn't. Nobody did.
If they had, they wouldn't have complained about his jersey being in what looked like a Walmart bag.
They'd have been fine with it because, "I smell BS."

Stop pretending you knew this was a dumpster fire hire.
The guys who DIDN'T hire him, were the very people you supported being run off.

Congrats, your lack of vision has cost this program another year of underwhelming performance.

what makes you think either of those 2 want to go out there behind that OL?
While the OL isn't great, a lot of the hits Cam is taking is because he freezes up when the frist read isn't there and holds on to the ball way too long. Most of the night he had all day to throw the ball.

He also has almost zero backside awareness. I haven't seen a worse internal clock since Geno Smith at WVU.

Why is Cam playing hurt and Ali sitting out so much?
Ali is banged up. Just like I said in before the seaon. This was going to look a lot like 2015 when teams sold out on Rockhead and he got beat to death. Ali is nearly 100% of defensive focus and he is getting hit a lot. He tweaked his ankle at NCST and twisted it at GaSt.

Doc and Huff were supposed to be super recruiters. My beef with Doc is I came to the conclusion he was like me with grocery shopping. If my wife tells me exactly what she wants I am extremely good and going to store, knocking it out quick and coming back with exactly what she sent me for.

I think Doc was a great salesman, he just wasn’t good at putting together a shopping list.

I don’t view Huff much differently.

In the sales world it’s the difference between being given a list of pre qualified clients that have expressed an interest in your product and having to generate leads yourself. With the former you just have to be able to talk a good game and reaffirm their already expressed interest, then close the deal. The latter takes a completely different skill set.

My guess is Huff had a voice in RB recruiting at his previous stops, but did very little as far as talent evaluation at any other position. So he’s relying on his hodgepodge staff and inexperienced co-ordinators. I also believe he thinks any player that got signed by a P5 originally must be good because they were vetted by quality coaching staffs before they were signed and P5 is just better than G5.

This is why we really need a move up FCS head coach. They are used to digging deep to find talent and know they have to develop it. It’s not like Alabama where every recruit is a grown man and you have 4 at every position so the cream automatically rises. Also that guy will already have experience working with a lot of staff and knows the staffs of other FCS teams. He’ll know who’s good, hungry and looking for an opportunity. He knows the OCs and DCs that gave his teams fits.

I cant believe that Cole Pennington being coached by his dad since he was a kid isnt able to throw the football downfield much better than Cam Fancher. There is no excuse for the coaching staff to keep sending a Marshall QB out there every week that doesnt have the ability to throw a football downfield. I appreciate Fancher and the effort he gives but he is simply not QB material.
Not to mention McMahon from Rice. How does Huff explain that he’s not ready after having played four years? Plus Huff picked him out of the portal. I admit I’m not a coach - just a Herd fan - but I’ve watched Marshall football since 1961 and seen a lot of quarterbacks play here. No one is saying young Mr Fancher is not a good person or athlete and in all fairness to him - if he’s hurt the coach should have put another quarterback in. Huff is as stubborn as Doc was.

This times 1000... I can't blame the kid for wanting to get on the field and trying to grit his teeth and bear it. The coaching staff should not have put him in that position. If you are too injured to be effective, someone else needs to be out there.
Remember Henry Colombi's parents complained about Huff having Colombi out there with a concussion so this is a very bad look for Huff.

Had we scored there, it would have changed the entire complexion of the game. That throw was a perfect example of why you have to try someone else.
That throw was an infield pop up, plus the receiver made no attempt to catch it or break it up.

Reactions: Elkview
You talking about the ball that was horribly under thrown by Fancher?

Yeah, the WR was running his route and didn't anticipate the need to run backwards to fight for the ball, especially when he was wide open.
Don't you know? Our recievers also have to play dB most if the time on offense. Lol

He's another Willy Korn. We took him sight unseen because we had to scramble for a #2 QB after Spring Camp.

We shouldn't have been so confident before Spring Camp. We could have had a big school backup or a FCS starter if we tried. At the very least, Cam would have been pushed.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Well. Actually he is an FBS qb. I believe he is 10-4 as an fbs starting qb actually.

Yes he is, and barely in the top ten QBs in our 14 team conference.

If you want to give him credit for 10-4 then You must be saying the last three games are all him, right? You know, it’s okay to say he seems like a good kid, tough player, etc. and still be honest enough to just admit that he’s not very good at throwing a football. A good QB isn’t sitting at 7 TDs and 7 INTs after 7 games when every defense he faces is 100% geared to stop the run.

Yes he is, and barely in the top ten QBs in our 14 team conference.

If you want to give him credit for 10-4 then You must be saying the last three games are all him, right? You know, it’s okay to say he seems like a good kid, tough player, etc. and still be honest enough to just admit that he’s not very good at throwing a football. A good QB isn’t sitting at 7 TDs and 7 INTs after 7 games when every defense he faces is 100% geared to stop the run.
Well said

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
I won’t defend Fancher from just criticism, I just think he is so far down on the list of why this team is a mess that I wouldn’t even spend much time considering it.

Well, he is the biggest issue on offense. He can’t consistently move the offense with his arm even when the defense is selling out to stop the run. There isn’t an offense except the old school option that is meant to be productive without a vertical passing threat. No other offense can be consistent when the safeties play every snap starting in the box and we have 4 small WRs on the field. That gives us 5 to block 7. Period, end of story.

The down most dependent on the ability of the QB, 3rd down, we are 111th in the country at converting. You couple a lack of explosive plays with a low 3rd down conversion percentage and you get an offense that can not be counted on.

When the offense can’t stay on the field by converting 3rd downs all the pressure is shifted to the defense where we have had problems, but really only two bad games. We lead the conference in getting interceptions, which means they have given the offense extra opportunities, many on the plus side.

I don’t dislike Fancher and appreciate that he gives a full effort, but his best just isn’t good enough for us to be successful and his ball security issues work against us as well. He’s a net negative.

Well, he is the biggest issue on offense. He can’t consistently move the offense with his arm even when the defense is selling out to stop the run. There isn’t an offense except the old school option that is meant to be productive without a vertical passing threat. No other offense can be consistent when the safeties play every snap starting in the box and we have 4 small WRs on the field. That gives us 5 to block 7. Period, end of story.

The down most dependent on the ability of the QB, 3rd down, we are 111th in the country at converting. You couple a lack of explosive plays with a low 3rd down conversion percentage and you get an offense that can not be counted on.

When the offense can’t stay on the field by converting 3rd downs all the pressure is shifted to the defense where we have had problems, but really only two bad games. We lead the conference in getting interceptions, which means they have given the offense extra opportunities, many on the plus side.

I don’t dislike Fancher and appreciate that he gives a full effort, but his best just isn’t good enough for us to be successful and his ball security issues work against us as well. He’s a net negative.
Great post, and accurate.
One of the failures is illuminated in the first sentence. The biggest reason for the 3rd down inefficiency is the inefficiciency on 1st & 2nd downs which are more challenging because of the inability of the passing game to keep the D honest.

Great post, and accurate.
One of the failures is illuminated in the first sentence. The biggest reason for the 3rd down inefficiency is the inefficiciency on 1st & 2nd downs which are more challenging because of the inability of the passing game to keep the D honest.
It's also very easy to pin your ears back and come at the qb when there is 0 threat of being beat deep.

My "other team", Pitt, had their season ruined by the same stubborn coach refusing to change QB's. 1-4 until he did what he needed to do and changed QB's and Pitt beats #14 Louisville.

Even average QB has Marshall beating both JMU and NC State

While the OL isn't great, a lot of the hits Cam is taking is because he freezes up when the frist read isn't there and holds on to the ball way too long. Most of the night he had all day to throw the ball.

He also has almost zero backside awareness. I haven't seen a worse internal clock since Geno Smith at WVU.
He did not have all night to pass the ball most of the time. That was the best team and best defenseve teme we will face all year. Fancher is a good qb when healthy. Our defense played the best they have all year.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
He wasn't talking about making the change @ QB.

Colombi's dad doesn't like Trickett and that's who he was pointing the finger at.
from my convo's with henry, they dont like clint because clint told henry "we are going with cam just because he can run"

I was in front of coach Pruett coming down out of the suites in the stair well and he was making it clear to anyone within ear shot that Cole should get his chance. I would have to agree with him.

The fact that he specified Cole should tell you enough about his comments.

Anyone that watched practice on a consistent basis would completely disagree with Bob.

from my convo's with henry, they dont like clint because clint told henry "we are going with cam just because he can run"

Well......Everyone has their opinion I guess.

It could be that or it could be that there were times when checks were being made on the fly that resulted in negative plays. IMO, not running the plays (or verbally disagreeing) that were supplied by the staff may have contributed to his benching as well.

Well......Everyone has their opinion I guess.

It could be that or it could be that there were times when checks were being made on the fly that resulted in negative plays. IMO, not running the plays (or verbally disagreeing) that were supplied by the staff may have contributed to his benching as well.
That could obviously be true, as he probably wouldnt tell me something negative that he himself did. He always speaks his mind to me after every game. He messaged me thursday night and said "eh, no offensive points? I see clint is still calling the plays LOL"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT