ADVERTISEMENT

Well, well, well.....Sources: Governor pitched Pruett to supplant Holliday

When Gilbert returned from the Greenbrier after their initial meeting in December, Bob Pruett was waiting for him in Huntington.

That guy is the absolute worst.
Make no mistake, Bob wants the job back, and I mean bad! He wants that one year so he can get into the HOF! This is all being started by Bob!

I think tin foil should be the hat you wear to the games this year. I heard Pruett was on the grassy knoll. I heard Pruett started Area 51. I heard Pruett was the reason the US invaded Iraq. You guys are hilarious!!! Only at Marshall!!

IMHO,

BP, as stated, he is too old. Let him coach at Concord or some like to get the year he needs to be in the HOF.

MH, he is tied at the hip to Doc and Doc's fate will be his fate. This is a big year for both. He inherited a mess and has done some good things as far as buildings and expanding the donor base and repairing what KO destroyed. But it comes down to coaching. His first baseketball hire was a failure and DD is certainly an unusual hire and the time to reach a conclusion is not yet here. Doc also inherited a mess and this year is the year for both men.

Gilbert, I have never met the man. Seems like a typical liberal academic functionary. Like every other he hit the ground here looking for the next bigger gig at the next bigger school. Running a school that the other school in the state wants to close in an era when the state is flat broke is not an easy job. I wish him luck.

JJ, as it relates to Marshall, I really believe he wants to improve the school. But as with JJ generally, his handlers will not let him make the real changes that would be needed. If a governor wanted to improve Marshall, the answers are obvious.

- Like many states (NC, CA, OH, FL, among others) create as single unified University of West Virginia (which we had for a brief time under Cappertax, until WVU killed it) with a common board and a common academic standard with complete transferability of all credits. The common board will be populated with equal MU and WVU graduates and would act in the best interests of the PEOPLE of WV, not of WVU or MU.

- Create one unified UWV Foundation with a common set of trustees. No donations, other than athletic booster clubs, to individual instituions.

- Fund all state universities and colleges directly based on the number of in-state students.

- Raise out-of-state tuition at WVU to the average charged by the colleges to which it agrandizes itself and from which its students come (OSU, Pitt, PSU, SUNY, Rutgers, UVa, VPI, etc). Goal being 90% in-state students within 5 years with out-of-state students paying 100% of their costs, no subsidy.

- CLOSE the dorms at WV State and turn it into a community college for Charleston. Segregation is over, it was in all the papers.

- CLOSE colleges. WV used to have 500K more people, a lot more young people, and a road system that made travel more than a couple of counties away not realistic. And we used to have segregation. There is nobody in the state that cannot be at one or both of the two real universities in a few hours today, and there are less HS graduates every year. The colapse of WV Tech is not the last that will happen. The WVUF and the taxpayers cannot save all of them. Get ahead of the wave and be proactive and not reactive. CLOSE colleges. The student growth at MU and the replacements for the New Jersites at WVU is right there for the taking. At Glenville, and Bluefield, and Keyser, and Fairmont. All the state needs, or can afford, is two legitimate universities, supplemented by limited subject (mostly teachers) colleges along the edges (Shepherd, Concord, West Liberty) and a good community college system (some of which, like State, can be allowed to grant some 4 year degrees). All we need, all we can afford.

- Sell the Osteopathic College to the Via system.

- Make it clear that all profits from the WVU and MU medical systems (currently theoretically independent) are to be turned over to the state for spending as we the taxpayers decide via the democratic process.

But, I might as well ask for the moon. JJ is powerless to make real change. He represents the insider statehouse gang that has run WV for nearly 100 years. No changes will be made.

Bob Pruett's comment....

“I love Marshall University and what’s best for this school. I have not been offered a job or asked for a coaching job,” Pruett said Friday in a prepared statement. “I’ve made it clear that I support Doc Holliday. I’ve said it in print and I’ve said it on my radio show many times. I am not a candidate for any job at Marshall or any other place.”

“I really enjoy being retired,” Pruett said Friday. “Last night I was doing nothing when I went to bed. The greatest thing about that: When I got up this morning, I did not have to start over. I just picked up doing nothing where I left off.”

“Doc has a big job,” Pruett said. “We should be putting all our energy into helping him and Marshall be great. All I want is the state of West Virginia and Marshall to be champions. I am 74 June 20, and I am a retired football coach who loves this state and this university. I will help with anything Marshall University asks me to do.”

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...cle_b7cdd048-ea30-579d-8ed9-00aac9b94988.html
This is a cover his tail statement because Justice is now taking a political hit over him wanting the job back.

Well, its who Justice wants as the next AD. So, it may be smart to start letting others know you wont vote for him or Manchin (the guy that is controlling him) in the next election.
Justice wants this guy because it will allow him to control the MU athletic department by instituting this guy as a puppet. Hell, he would likely fire D'Antoni and hire himself to coach the basketball teams. ;)

In no way, shape, or form should this be allowed and public threats to vote for the competition by MU fans and WVians that want a governor that does the right things to help the state would be a good starting point to prevent corruption and refocus JJ on what the state really needs.

Reactions: AllEers6
First of all Justice has never recommend getting rid of Gilbert. He would like to see Holliday and Hamrick gone and eventually a new coach who could bring the Herd back to respectability. There are not many billionaires in the state of WV and if our president of the University is too stupid to at least listen to a billionaire who just happens to be the Governor and a MU alumnus then maybe Gilbert should be fired. Ideally Justice wanted Holliday out immediately which would allow Pruett to step in for a 1 year interim coach.. facts is facts

Oh no, he actually threatened the BOG with potential budget cuts if they didn't fire Gilbert, Hamrick, and Holliday. You don't fire a coach that runs a pretty clean program that won 33 games the previous 3 seasons over 1 bad year. Also, F hiring Pruett as an interim coach just so he can become Hall of Fame eligible. If we want to hire an interim coach to replace Doc that has MU ties, then Jim Grobe would be the man, he has at least coached at a high level in the past 5-10 years.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Made no comment about the governor's statements. This tells it all. I still do not believe he isn't involved somehow in this. If he truly wasn't, he would have at least mentioned JJ's comments.
Pruett is definitely involved behind the seems, and it is sad to say that he was also involved behind the schemes in the "snubbing of former players" controversy.;)

MH, he is tied at the hip to Doc and Doc's fate will be his fate. This is a big year for both.

This is true. Hamrick has done some GREAT things, yet he's known as a builder where he goes not a good hirer of coaches. The vision campaign was all his and by God he got it done.

I see Doc having his greatest coaching year ever, his back is against the wall and he will pull out a great season. If not?

Who do you get to replace him? My choice? Tony Peterson HC. Pruett is too old, great coach , but too old.

Pruett is definitely involved behind the seems, and it is sad to say that he was also involved behind the schemes in the "snubbing of former players" controversy.;)
Look, I know that Chuck Landon is Bob go to guy, so as soon as that article came out we knew who was pushing the "snubbing of players" deal. Bob continues to burn lots of bridges in Huntington. Now, Justice is doing the same.

Justice wants this guy because it will allow him to control the MU athletic department by instituting this guy as a puppet. Hell, he would likely fire D'Antoni and hire himself to coach the basketball teams. ;)

In no way, shape, or form should this be allowed and public threats to vote for the competition by MU fans and WVians that want a governor that does the right things to help the state would be a good starting point to prevent corruption and refocus JJ on what the state really needs.
Wow!

Oh no, he actually threatened the BOG with potential budget cuts if they didn't fire Gilbert, Hamrick, and Holliday. You don't fire a coach that runs a pretty clean program that won 33 games the previous 3 seasons over 1 bad year. Also, F hiring Pruett as an interim coach just so he can become Hall of Fame eligible. If we want to hire an interim coach to replace Doc that has MU ties, then Jim Grobe would be the man, he has at least coached at a high level in the past 5-10 years.
He did not threaten any BOG members with budget cuts to have them fire Gilbert... discussions were about Hambone and Holliday

Still, its none of JJ's business to be firing coaches and AD's
Considering he is the chief executive of the state, I would say he has an interest and right to be in that discussion. Not that a governor shouldn't have more important things to do, but last time I checked Doc works for Hamrick and Hamrick works for Gilbert and Gilbert reports to the BOG who is appointed by the Governor. Not to mention he gave millions of bucks to the school himself. So, I would think he can garner some attention.

Its not his job to be firing AD's or football coaches. Period! He has kids that need homes with DHHR, he has coal miners that need work, he has a budget that needs balanced, he needs to provide the state with well trained and motivated State Troopers, he needs to bring businesses to our state for jobs, and I can go on and on.

As a business owner and alum that is his concern, but as the Gov he has many other issues.

Its not his job to be firing AD's or football coaches. Period! He has kids that need homes with DHHR, he has coal miners that need work, he has a budget that needs balanced, he needs to provide the state with well trained and motivated State Troopers, he needs to bring businesses to our state for jobs, and I can go on and on.

As a business owner and alum that is his concern, but as the Gov he has many other issues.

I said he has other concerns, but again he is the boss. If he wants to take time to do it then he has every right to.

He did not threaten any BOG members with budget cuts to have them fire Gilbert... discussions were about Hambone and Holliday
He ambushed them, like he did President Gilbert, and told them they need to get rid of all three.

Well, considering he cant get a budget passed his wants are coming over the states needs. shame
Yep, Justice just wants his puppet in charge of the MU Athletic Department so that he has full control. If you guys don't understand that then you are being ignorant and not seeing the bigger picture of Justice's plan.

ADVERTISEMENT