ADVERTISEMENT

Well, well, well.....Sources: Governor pitched Pruett to supplant Holliday

I just want to take this opportunity to say that I poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji poop emoji.

Last edited:
Still think in some quarters of MU fandom, supporters, there are those who would like to see Pruett back as coach long enough for him to get 6 more Ws which would make him potentially eligible for the college football Hall of Fame. Perhaps if we fired our head coach during a season, a move would be made to bring in Pruett as an "interim" HC. Don't know how well that would work with the staff of assistants, but perhaps Pruett would remain "interim" for the remainder of the season and perhaps the following year with one of the remaining assistants being groomed for the permanent HC job.

Sources? The same "sources" involved in the current investigation of Trumps Russian connections! LOL

But yet if this story came from Smock or Traylor everybody would be jumping with joy.

Holliday is our coach and that hasn't changed. Next it will be another shooter on the grassy knoll.

So Justice told the powers that be to up Marshall's overall game and get moving. Glad he did. Me thinks too many are way too comfortable on campus - in Old Main and in the Schewey.

Holliday is our coach and that hasn't changed. Next it will be another shooter on the grassy knoll.

So Justice told the powers that be to up Marshall's overall game and get moving. Glad he did. Me thinks too many are way too comfortable on campus - in Old Main and in the Schewey.

Do you actually believe all he said was up your game and get moving? Look at the comments in Smocks article from the President. He would be even speak about the topics and said he didn't like it hat this stuff got out.

The governor has no business getting involved in sports with his position. He needs to worry about increasing jobs and getting away from relying on coal as the main business in WV.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Do you actually believe all he said was up your game and get moving? Look at the comments in Smocks article from the President. He would be even speak about the topics and said he didn't like it hat this stuff got out.

The governor has no business getting involved in sports with his position. He needs to worry about increasing jobs and getting away from relying on coal as the main business in WV.

I am sure it went as reported. That said, Holliday is still our coach and hopefully those at MU got a wake up call. Certainly glad Gilbert stood his ground.

I am sure it went as reported. That said, Holliday is still our coach and hopefully those at MU got a wake up call. Certainly glad Gilbert stood his ground.
I agree and quite frankly I think it is embarrassment to the state of WV that the governor was focused on this after he won the election before taking office and afterward as well. He should be worrying about the WV economy and how to stop the exodus of people from WV instead of firing the President, AD and Head football coach.

I agree and quite frankly I think it is embarrassment to the state of WV that the governor was focused on this after he won the election before taking office and afterward as well. He should be worrying about the WV economy and how to stop the exodus of people from WV instead of firing the President, AD and Head football coach.

the "governor" is also a wealthy alum that has given significant $ in the past. I think he can offer his opinion any time.

Reactions: Russ Priddy
Still think in some quarters of MU fandom, supporters, there are those who would like to see Pruett back as coach long enough for him to get 6 more Ws which would make him potentially eligible for the college football Hall of Fame. Perhaps if we fired our head coach during a season, a move would be made to bring in Pruett as an "interim" HC. Don't know how well that would work with the staff of assistants, but perhaps Pruett would remain "interim" for the remainder of the season and perhaps the following year with one of the remaining assistants being groomed for the permanent HC job.

he doesn't need 6 more wins, he needs 1 more year. he could go 0-12 and then be eligible for the hof.

Reactions: AllEers6
i imagine quite a few Governors get involved in this type of stuff off and on the record.

remember Uncle Joe campaigning hard for Bill Stewart?

Reactions: The Real SamC
the "governor" is also a wealthy alum that has given significant $ in the past. I think he can offer his opinion any time.

Yes he can offer an opinion but when you become Governor elect and then Governor...his # 1 priority needs to be the state's economy, jobs and finding ways to get people to move to WV not leave. If he wants to worry so much about Universities then instead of worrying about Athletics shouldn't he figure out how to NOT cut funding to Higher Education as well as all other Education in the state that has terrible ratings for Education. Shouldn't he be worried about how to make college affordable and NOT cut funding? Why call the President to a meeting make a threat....then three months later call the Board of Directors to a meeting and tell them to fire the President? And people wonder why the state can't get ahead of themselves. Heck, the city I live in has grown its population in 20 years about the same total population that is in the whole city of Huntington.

i imagine quite a few Governors get involved in this type of stuff off and on the record.

remember Uncle Joe campaigning hard for Bill Stewart?
Immediately following the Fiesta Bowl, with the team still celebrating in the locker room, Manchin's team summoned Pastilong back to the team hotel (which was about an hour away from University of Phoenix Stadium) and instructed them to start drafting the paperwork to hire Bill Stewart. His hiring was subsequently announced the following day.

Top donors, upset at the lack of a coaching search, were then contacted by Pastilong in the days that followed and were reassured that an assistant head coach would be hired to ensure the overwhelmed Stewart didn't go completely off the tracks, and that after two years, Stewart would step down and this coach would move up to the HC position. The coach they selected was a favorite of many of WVU's top donors, a local guy, a WVU guy, a Don Nehlen guy - John "Doc" Holliday.

Two years later, Stewart refused to step down, hoping that Ed Pastilong's retirement would mean the deal as planned was open to negotiation. Holliday saw the writing on the wall and left for the open Marshall position, and new AD Oliver Luck came up with his own plan to bring in Dana Holgorsen and have him take over at the first chance he had to fire Stewart.

Post-Script 1: Had Ryan Clarke broke the plane in overtime against UConn, WVU would have won the 2010 Big East BCS auto-bid and returned to the Fiesta Bowl to play none other than Oklahoma, in a rematch of the game that won Stewart the job. As Jack Palance would say, "Believe it....or not-ah...."

Post-Script 2: Allegedly, when all this stuff with Justice was going down in December, Holliday was at a team PR event and, during a break in the action, turned to someone in the AD and remarked, "Where the hell does this stuff happen!?!?" The co-worker responded, "Doc....WVU." Allegedly.

Wow. Time to wake up and smell the coffee. JJ has the $ and position, hate to say it, but whatever he wants MU should listen and handle with kid gloves. That's the way world works

Wow. Time to wake up and smell the coffee. JJ has the $ and position, hate to say it, but whatever he wants MU should listen and handle with kid gloves. That's the way world works

If that is indeed the case, I would not expect a successful college football program to emerge from that world.

Sad that this information was made public. I'd like to know who broke the story and if they have ties to another school. I don't see why Justice would want Gilbert fired, thats nuts.
While I don't approve of the approach or tactics, I do think Justice wants the best for MU and I like that he put those in charge on notice to step up their game - on all fronts. The school had become stagnant and we are now starting to see some slight growth. All those at MU - academic and athletics need to work harder, smarter and help the school grow.
Some have become too comfortable in their jobs to the point they feel untouchable.

IMHO,

- The only thing that Metronews (medium right John Raese) and the Gag-zete (limosine liberal far-left Betty Chilton, who, BTW, just screwed all her employees out of their pensions) agree upon is both are 100% anti-Marshall.

- Jim Justice is not really governor in the way Matt Bevin is governor of Kentucky or John Kasich is governor of Ohio. He is a puppet of the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. Manchin, via his bagman Larry Puccio, tells him what to do and he does it. It is Manchin's way of being governor and senator at the same time. That means JJ has plenty of free time on his hands. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.

- That said, it good that a governor, even a token one, cares about MU at all. The last 8 wished we would slide into the Ohio. Deep down, I think JJ is trying to do the right things and wants better for the state and for MU. He is just under the control of very evil men who like things just as they are.

- BP and DN were paid campaign workers and paid endorcers for JJ. BP has a long relationship with JJ and the hotel.

- The stuff people post above about Photo Joe and Bill Stewart is 100% accurate. How did that work out in Spamland?

- BP has regreted leaving since the day Satan's Vile Servant, KO Marcum, ran him off. He was in a situation where he had no choice but to leave, as KO Marcum lied to his face, and to the face of all of us who donated money for the IPF only to be told no such campaign ever happened. He was the worst AD ever and you people who are down on Mike need to remember the wreckage KO left behind and the clean up job Mike had to do.

- BP is 73 years old. His staff has dispersed around the nation. He could not name 20 HS senior football players. He has not been involved in a football game in an active way in 10 years. He is collecting 3 pensions and SS. Frank Solich is 73, Bill Snyder is 78, and Nick Saban is 66, yes, but all have been coaching continiously for a while. If Doc goes 0-12 and gets fired, then Coach will be 74 when hired. Take at least 3 years for him to put in his system. Write off at least the 17 recruiting season. So that is 77 before we start to contend. We really want to have the program run by a guy in his late 70s? When would coach retire? 80? 85? Once a coach gets to a certain age, even the greats, the other coaches in the recruiting wars say "well he won't be there when you are a senior anyway." Add to that a basketball coach who is also on Medicare and a fanbase that gets grayer by the hour, and you have issues.

- HOF. Coach just needs one more year as a head coach ANYWHERE to make the HOF. Let him be the HC at Concord or WV State or Fairmont. Nobody cares what they do anyway.

- Pi**ing off a billionaire alumni politician is not a good thing. If JJ wanted MU to wear pink and purple, I would at least be very polite telling him no.

- Write this down. If MU or WVU do have a vacancy during the JJ era, either in football, basketball, or president, JJ WILL demand at least a major say in the matter. In fact, I figure he even cares about our women's coaching slot, given his involvement in that sport. Of the 6, Gee is one more racist comment from the PC police taking him out, Drunkerson has a long term deal which the Spamites don't have the money to get out of, Thuggie is obviously not well, Doc's seat is getting hot and he cannot survive another year like the last, DD is 70, and Gilbert, like all university presidents at our level is always looking for a gig at the next bigger place. Smart money says at least two of those six jobs are open in the next 8 years. MH is tied at the hip to Doc and his seat is equally hot with Doc's.

- The LAST thing MU needs right now is division. Be that a BP-Doc division, an Old Main-governor division, or a Mike-fire Mike division. We all need to be on the same side.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdZilla22
This is not good for our program to have all this leak out. There is enough turmoil on our team.

Reactions: pdbailey
I appreciate Jim's friendship and loyalty towards Bob but rehiring BP would be a train wreck!

Unbelievable.

The Governor just tried to pressure Marshall's BOG into firing not only the head football coach and athletic director, but the newly-hired president of the university as well, and you think the source is someone with a WVU agenda??

Surprise: the source is Marshall.

Justice went to the President and demanded Hamrick's and Holliday's heads. When he didn't get them, he waited until he had the budget for leverage, and he brought in the BOG and demanded Gilbert's head. When he didn't get that, what do you think he would have done next? What do you think Marshall's BOG assumed was coming? What do you people think was coming? A big donation? Polite encouragement to the AD to "do better?"

Hell no, he was going spank Marshall to the tune of tens of millions of dollars in funding cuts and put the whole damn school in traction for the foreseeable future. He was going to make Marshall slit its own throat as an institution, all so he could install a friend of his as our head football coach.

And people are on here applauding that. Unbelievable.

Unbelievable.

The Governor just tried to pressure Marshall's BOG into firing not only the head football coach and athletic director, but the newly-hired president of the university as well, and you think the source is someone with a WVU agenda??

Surprise: the source is Marshall.

Justice went to the President and demanded Hamrick's and Holliday's heads. When he didn't get them, he waited until he had the budget for leverage, and he brought in the BOG and demanded Gilbert's head. When he didn't get that, what do you think he would have done next? What do you think Marshall's BOG assumed was coming? What do you people think was coming? A big donation? Polite encouragement to the AD to "do better?"

Hell no, he was going spank Marshall to the tune of tens of millions of dollars in funding cuts and put the whole damn school in traction for the foreseeable future. He was going to make Marshall slit its own throat as an institution, all so he could install a friend of his as our head football coach.

And people are on here applauding that. Unbelievable.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GreenDuke
Justice went to the President and demanded Hamrick's and Holliday's heads. When he didn't get them, he waited until he had the budget for leverage, and he brought in the BOG and demanded Gilbert's head.

Slight issue there. MU and WVU both got the same budget cut. 7.8% Now, yes, WVU's budget has much more fat in it and it can easily absorb that cut and we cannot, but if you think our Spamite dominated legislature would go for cutting WVU more than Marshall, you are mistaken.

I fully understand that input from WVU fans is not appreciated here............but take it from us, it's not good when the Governor starts meddling in affairs of the school whether it be the athletic department or the administration of the entire school.

When Manchin was Governor he caused the Mike Garrison hire as WVU's President, he caused the Bill Stewart coaching hire, pressured the administration to give his daughter an unearned MBA, and even used a forceful hand in our football schedule.

It's good to see that so far Marshall hasn't let Jim Justice do the same to you.

This must be the week for local politicians to flex their authority and dabble in college sports, of which West Virginia is not alone. Here is what the self righteous lawmakers in NC are trying to push through...

RALEIGH, N.C.

Some lawmakers want to make North Carolina's public colleges leave their athletic conferences if those leagues boycott the state.

A House bill filed this week and sponsored by four Republicans would require schools in the University of North Carolina system to begin the withdrawal process from their conferences if the organizations enact a future boycott.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article144211619.html#storylink=cpy

IMHO,

- The only thing that Metronews (medium right John Raese) and the Gag-zete (limosine liberal far-left Betty Chilton, who, BTW, just screwed all her employees out of their pensions) agree upon is both are 100% anti-Marshall.

- Jim Justice is not really governor in the way Matt Bevin is governor of Kentucky or John Kasich is governor of Ohio. He is a puppet of the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. Manchin, via his bagman Larry Puccio, tells him what to do and he does it. It is Manchin's way of being governor and senator at the same time. That means JJ has plenty of free time on his hands. Idle hands are the Devil's workshop.

- That said, it good that a governor, even a token one, cares about MU at all. The last 8 wished we would slide into the Ohio. Deep down, I think JJ is trying to do the right things and wants better for the state and for MU. He is just under the control of very evil men who like things just as they are.

- BP and DN were paid campaign workers and paid endorcers for JJ. BP has a long relationship with JJ and the hotel.

- The stuff people post above about Photo Joe and Bill Stewart is 100% accurate. How did that work out in Spamland?

- BP has regreted leaving since the day Satan's Vile Servant, KO Marcum, ran him off. He was in a situation where he had no choice but to leave, as KO Marcum lied to his face, and to the face of all of us who donated money for the IPF only to be told no such campaign ever happened. He was the worst AD ever and you people who are down on Mike need to remember the wreckage KO left behind and the clean up job Mike had to do.

- BP is 73 years old. His staff has dispersed around the nation. He could not name 20 HS senior football players. He has not been involved in a football game in an active way in 10 years. He is collecting 3 pensions and SS. Frank Solich is 73, Bill Snyder is 78, and Nick Saban is 66, yes, but all have been coaching continiously for a while. If Doc goes 0-12 and gets fired, then Coach will be 74 when hired. Take at least 3 years for him to put in his system. Write off at least the 17 recruiting season. So that is 77 before we start to contend. We really want to have the program run by a guy in his late 70s? When would coach retire? 80? 85? Once a coach gets to a certain age, even the greats, the other coaches in the recruiting wars say "well he won't be there when you are a senior anyway." Add to that a basketball coach who is also on Medicare and a fanbase that gets grayer by the hour, and you have issues.

- HOF. Coach just needs one more year as a head coach ANYWHERE to make the HOF. Let him be the HC at Concord or WV State or Fairmont. Nobody cares what they do anyway.

- Pi**ing off a billionaire alumni politician is not a good thing. If JJ wanted MU to wear pink and purple, I would at least be very polite telling him no.

- Write this down. If MU or WVU do have a vacancy during the JJ era, either in football, basketball, or president, JJ WILL demand at least a major say in the matter. In fact, I figure he even cares about our women's coaching slot, given his involvement in that sport. Of the 6, Gee is one more racist comment from the PC police taking him out, Drunkerson has a long term deal which the Spamites don't have the money to get out of, Thuggie is obviously not well, Doc's seat is getting hot and he cannot survive another year like the last, DD is 70, and Gilbert, like all university presidents at our level is always looking for a gig at the next bigger place. Smart money says at least two of those six jobs are open in the next 8 years. MH is tied at the hip to Doc and his seat is equally hot with Doc's.

- The LAST thing MU needs right now is division. Be that a BP-Doc division, an Old Main-governor division, or a Mike-fire Mike division. We all need to be on the same side.
Is Jim writing the check to buy out all those contracts?

Yahoo picked up this story. It's now gone national. I think it's an embarrasment to the State and especially to Marshall. There are so many things the Governor could do to help higher education but this guy, who played golf in college, coached boys and girls high school basketball, brought a PGA event to the Greenbrier, would rather dabble in college athletics. :(

Who does Justice want as the new President and AD? I know names for AD are flying around

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT