ADVERTISEMENT

Where Is Men's Basketball Non-conference Schedule?

When the Herd football team wins the CUSA East Division, there could be a very unique Herd sports scenario setting up on December 2. Herd women BB entertain Southern Illinois; men's BB hosts Akron; and if the football team hosts the CUSA championship, the whole joint along 3rd Avenue from 18th Street to around 22nd Street should be jumpin!! :D

Yes they'll have to add extra security to house the women's game against the Sullookettes. I know of almost none people who will be flying in for that one.

I was told that the final schedule would be released this week, I guess we'll see. I have also been told that 2 MEC teams have told MU that they would come here and they would count the game as an exhibition for them. It would be the 31st game for us. I know Danny hates playing DII but looks like it will have to be that way.

Chris thanks for posting the link. Three MEC teams - two in exhibition and Concord in season.

Chris thanks for posting the link. Three MEC teams - two in exhibition and Concord in season.

Umm, what do ya think, neutral? Looks like it took an extra month for us to pin down and finalize that final game with . . .wait for it . . . . wait . . . .Concord!! Guess the Mountain Lions AD really played Hardball with MU when it came to the $$$ guarantee!!

You got me oldeherd. It is disappointing- at least to me, that the staff cannot get better OOC opponents. Hopefully, William & Mary and others make a return visit. I think Xavier is one and done. Just hard to believe Marshall cannot get Xavier, Dayton, Virginia Tech, etc., to work out home and home.

What is it going to take to get the series with WV Who going again? Would they consider 2 for 1 in basketball?

If the MU v WVU series is ever started again it should be alternated between Morgantown and Huntington as it used to be. That ended because Gale Catlett could not win in Huntington. Need to get the game back on the campuses IMO.

If the MU v WVU series is ever started again it should be alternated between Morgantown and Huntington as it used to be. That ended because Gale Catlett could not win in Huntington. Need to get the game back on the campuses IMO.
I don't disagree about campuses, but I don't think 1-1 is ever going to happen. Although I wish I would, you really don't see that being something that happens in basketball.

You got me oldeherd. It is disappointing- at least to me, that the staff cannot get better OOC opponents. Hopefully, William & Mary and others make a return visit. I think Xavier is one and done. Just hard to believe Marshall cannot get Xavier, Dayton, Virginia Tech, etc., to work out home and home.

Be honest with yourself, why would those three ever agree to a return game. There is no advantage for them and they are not in business to throw MU a scheduling bone. I fear we all like to inflate Marshall's place in the pecking order.

Be honest with yourself, why would those three ever agree to a return game. There is no advantage for them and they are not in business to throw MU a scheduling bone. I fear we all like to inflate Marshall's place in the pecking order.

None of the majors play any non-conference road games not arranged by and for TV. WVU played 1 true road game last year (UVA) and one this year (Pitt). Va Tech, Xavier and Dayton play 2 a piece. VT is at Kentucky and Ole Miss, Dayton is at Mississippi State and St. Mary's and Xavier travels to Wisconsin and Northern Iowa. All six games are already scheduled for National TV. Until Marshall can crack the NCAA tournament, I don't think you will see another major program play in Huntington. College basketball is programming and nothing more.

MU needs to see if it can get a major to schedule a "home and neutral" deal like we had with Cincy back under Herrion. Ask Cincy, or a Virginia Tech, if they will play us once at their place and then return a game with MU at the Charleston CC. We did the same thing with Oregon, too, a few seasons back.

I really don't give a DAMN what too many of those inbred blue noses in the "old Huntington" clique say: MU is a regional State University, not a little "pawn" in the clique's fiefdom!

The Charleston CC is undergoing major remodeling, expansion, and upgrades. WVU did not play any games there this season, and won't play us anywhere but in the Hole as long as Lard A** Hugs is still breathing. The Herd needs to build up exposure outside of the Tri State. Hamrick should seriously get involved, despite his almost lackadaisical, almost lazy at times, approach to his job as AD. Try to schedule a major opponent for the CCC when the renovation project is completed, perhaps by the start of the 2018-19 season. Could be a good PR event, even coup, for MU in the Kanawha Valley, where we are already EXPANDING OUR GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE PRESENCE!!

Of course, this would require the willingness to think outside the box and dare to act BOLDLY for MH and even DD. They should seriously think about such a game, and not worry about what certain old, rigid thinking, stuck in the 50s, Herd supporters back in Huntington think!!

MU needs to see if it can get a major to schedule a "home and neutral" deal like we had with Cincy back under Herrion. Ask Cincy, or a Virginia Tech, if they will play us once at their place and then return a game with MU at the Charleston CC. We did the same thing with Oregon, too, a few seasons back.

I really don't give a DAMN what too many of those inbred blue noses in the "old Huntington" clique say: MU is a regional State University, not a little "pawn" in the clique's fiefdom!

The Charleston CC is undergoing major remodeling, expansion, and upgrades. WVU did not play any games there this season, and won't play us anywhere but in the Hole as long as Lard A** Hugs is still breathing. The Herd needs to build up exposure outside of the Tri State. Hamrick should seriously get involved, despite his almost lackadaisical, almost lazy at times, approach to his job as AD. Try to schedule a major opponent for the CCC when the renovation project is completed, perhaps by the start of the 2018-19 season. Could be a good PR event, even coup, for MU in the Kanawha Valley, where we are already EXPANDING OUR GRADUATE AND UNDERGRADUATE PRESENCE!!

Of course, this would require the willingness to think outside the box and dare to act BOLDLY for MH and even DD. They should seriously think about such a game, and not worry about what certain old, rigid thinking, stuck in the 50s, Herd supporters back in Huntington think!!

See above what Herd bucks said- its about TV and money. Period. WVU will never come to Huntington because they don't have a reason to. They don't owe us an olive branch much less a basketball game. I like the game in charleston because it gets both sets of fans a chance to see local ball where they wouldn't normally see it. But asking it to be in Huntington will never happen unless we actually start becoming an NCAA presence. Regional Shmegional

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan

I don't disagree with playing a neutral game in Charleston but as you recall, the attendance at both the games you mentioned was terrible. By the time MU rents the arena we lose money on such a game while making it tougher for the majority of Herd fans to attend the game

Reactions: The Real SamC

I really like our OOC schedule except that Concord game. Love playing the three MAC schools and locals like EKU, Morehead and (to a lesser degree geographically) William & Mary.

Man, if we still played WVU (in place of Concord) our schedule would just about be perfect.

In the future I'd love to see more Colonial (JMU, UNCW, Charleston) and A10 (Richmond, VCU, George Washington, George Mason) schools on our schedules.

Umm, what do ya think, neutral? Looks like it took an extra month for us to pin down and finalize that final game with . . .wait for it . . . . wait . . . .Concord!! Guess the Mountain Lions AD really played Hardball with MU when it came to the $$$ guarantee!!
I know for a fact that Mark worked his butt off trying to get what Danny most wanted, an away money game. When that couldn't happen he tried to get a 1-1 with a D1 program. He reluctantly had to settle on buying a D2 game in Concord. Nobody, not Mark, Danny or the fans are happy about it but you have only 31 chances to get on the floor and you can't eliminate one of those even if it is filled by a MEC team.

I really like our OOC schedule except that Concord game. Love playing the three MAC schools and locals like EKU, Morehead and (to a lesser degree geographically) William & Mary.

Man, if we still played WVU (in place of Concord) our schedule would just about be perfect.

In the future I'd love to see more Colonial (JMU, UNCW, Charleston) and A10 (Richmond, VCU, George Washington, George Mason) schools on our schedules.
I know they have tried to get A-10 teams to play but with no success. They consider themselves above CUSA and few can argue that.

I know they have tried to get A-10 teams to play but with no success. They consider themselves above CUSA and few can argue that.

Yes but on the same token the A10 complains when no one will schedule them for NCAA reasons. They can't have their cake and eat it too. If they want to make that argument then they have to understand our argument.

Schedule is OK, except for Concord. I get why it happened, but it makes us look small time.

As to Charleston, it just does not work. This is not like WVU which is making a local appearance for a far off team in a different region. It is only 50 miles, and less than that for the core of MU's Charleston based backers, which is Putnam County. It is not attended well. The only way if can work is a school with substantial alumni presence in Charleston. Which would be Virginia Tech or Ohio State and they are not coming. And, I might be wrong, but I think the work Charleston is doing in the civic center is all small meeting rooms and such, the arena is not being changed at all.

Cant speak for the other schools but there is almost no chance Xavier would come to play at Marshall. X in non-conference plays exempt tournaments and home and home games with mainly the "power" conferences. We used to go back and forth with Miami (OH) but that changed. X would gain nothing by coming to Marshall as they dont recruit WV and its not a big alumni base.

Cant speak for the other schools but there is almost no chance Xavier would come to play at Marshall. X in non-conference plays exempt tournaments and home and home games with mainly the "power" conferences. We used to go back and forth with Miami (OH) but that changed. X would gain nothing by coming to Marshall as they dont recruit WV and its not a big alumni base.

Mark Mallett went there. There are some alumni in WV. But I agree they aren't going a home and home. I'd like to get the series with Miami back though

It would also require you to get off your ass and not complain about the game not being at home.
How many people complained about CCC when Marshall had Cincy there? Everyone.

You speak about not being what the old blue hairs think of Marshall, as long as its free.

It would also require you to get off your ass and not complain about the game not being at home.
How many people complained about CCC when Marshall had Cincy there? Everyone.

You speak about not being what the old blue hairs think of Marshall, as long as its free.

100% agree with this. When something becomes a great atmosphere, people notice- for example, look at VCU. Good or bad years they still fill the joint. And they are certainly not the only show in town obviously. So considering we are the only major school within a 90 minute drive minimum, we should be putting more than 2,000 butts in the seats at the Cam. Until that happens, we have no argument to get big teams in, or a better schedule

The non-conference schedule leads me to think we will have a good record this year (probably 20 wins) but an RPI somewhere around 300... We do have a chance to win the Directional Tennessee Off Campus title with wins over Martin and Chattanooga!

I don't disagree with playing a neutral game in Charleston but as you recall, the attendance at both the games you mentioned was terrible. By the time MU rents the arena we lose money on such a game while making it tougher for the majority of Herd fans to attend the game

Sorry, HM, but that is the narrow minded kind of thinking that characterizes too many in H-town. Attendance wasn't helped because too many in the Huntington area got their noses bent out of shape and were offended that MU dared to play a game in Charleston. Never mind that neither Oregon or Cincy were NOT going to play us in the Henderson Center. Hell, people even got on this site and others and spouted off why they would NEVER go to Charleston to watch the Herd play there!

And, again, MU needs to bolster its image and market and promote itself as a regional state U, and not just the "Huntington" school. MU is not in a large urban area like schools such as Cincinnati or Temple. It is in a small "city", in a depressed economic area and a city that continues a half century decline. It needs to promote and think of itself like Eastern Kentucky U does. Despite being just a stone's throw from Lexington and UK, EKU promotes itself as a regional state U throughout a 16 county area. And they, unlike MU, are growing, with an enrollment of over 16,000 and a budget of about 3 times that of MU.

And, HM, I'm sorry that it is so inconvenient and so "tough" on all you majority of Herd fans to ask you all to make a more than 5 or 10 minute across town trip to watch the Herd. Trying telling that to the thousands who journey to watch the Herd at the Joan from Charleston, Parkersburg, Putnam and Kanawha Counties, Beckley, Mercer County, Logan, Williamson, etc., etc. Isn't it just as "tough" on them? Or hundreds or more who do the same in the winter to come to the basketball games in the HC? But then again, yours is the same narrow, inbred, stuck in the past kind of thinking that permeates many in Huntington, plagues the city, and greatly contributes to Marshall's failure to fully realize its true potential.

Sorry, HM, but that is the narrow minded kind of thinking that characterizes too many in H-town. Attendance wasn't helped because too many in the Huntington area got their noses bent out of shape and were offended that MU dared to play a game in Charleston. Never mind that neither Oregon or Cincy were NOT going to play us in the Henderson Center. Hell, people even got on this site and others and spouted off why they would NEVER go to Charleston to watch the Herd play there!

And, again, MU needs to bolster its image and market and promote itself as a regional state U, and not just the "Huntington" school. MU is not in a large urban area like schools such as Cincinnati or Temple. It is in a small "city", in a depressed economic area and a city that continues a half century decline. It needs to promote and think of itself like Eastern Kentucky U does. Despite being just a stone's throw from Lexington and UK, EKU promotes itself as a regional state U throughout a 16 county area. And they, unlike MU, are growing, with an enrollment of over 16,000 and a budget of about 3 times that of MU.

And, HM, I'm sorry that it is so inconvenient and so "tough" on all you majority of Herd fans to ask you all to make a more than 5 or 10 minute across town trip to watch the Herd. Trying telling that to the thousands who journey to watch the Herd at the Joan from Charleston, Parkersburg, Putnam and Kanawha Counties, Beckley, Mercer County, Logan, Williamson, etc., etc. Isn't it just as "tough" on them? Or hundreds or more who do the same in the winter to come to the basketball games in the HC? But then again, yours is the same narrow, inbred, stuck in the past kind of thinking that permeates many in Huntington, plagues the city, and greatly contributes to Marshall's failure to fully realize its true potential.

With all the MU alumni in the Kanawha Valley, they should have no trouble filling the civic center. Save them a drive and time. But I guess they prefer to go watch WVU when they play at the CCC.

Ok well news flash WVU doesn't care. Neither does Xavier, Dayton or anyone in the A10 either. We can cop the attitude that we are standing our ground and end up with Concord or actually be smart about it.

No news to me chief. I could care less if we play WVU in anything. Although some fans are still attached to their nutsack for some reason. I say move on.

I live in the Charleston area and while I selfishly wish MU played a couple games at the CCC every year, I understand why the don't. It's not a backwards/inbred way of thinking, it's just the facts of the situation. There just aren't enough casual fans in the Charleston area to support the decision. Think about it, the fans in Charleston who care enough to go to games are already doing so. Putnam county fans don't view Charleston as being much (if any) closer than Huntington.

I wish sports fans in Charleston would want to flock an hour west more than they do. I wish they didn't want to drive 3 hours north, but that isn't the case. I thought with us recruiting so many local players now under Dan, more basketball people I know from the Charleston area would follow Marshall. But that isn't the case, either. I don't know how to change that trend, but giving up home games in a good college atmosphere at the Cam for an empty/cavernous CCC is not a good plan either, IMO. Every time I watch Marshall bball in the CCC, I think about how much better the atmosphere/game would be in The Cam. IMO, the dead CCC isn't a good way to grow your brand.

we should be putting more than 2,000 butts in the seats at the Cam. Until that happens, we have no argument to get big teams in, or a better schedule

2000 ???

How many do you think we average in the Cam?
Last year we averaged 5815 and the year before 5474.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
No news to me chief. I could care less if we play WVU in anything. Although some fans are still attached to their nutsack for some reason. I say move on.

I don't think people ar
2000 ???

Yeah right.. just like when the Steelers announces a sellout and half the seats are empty. Those numbers are always skewed. But if you want to feel like it's that many for pride sake I'll just agree with you.

2000 ???

Wow! That's real progress! Let's see, over a half a century ago when Danny D. played for the Herd at the old Field House, the team routinely packed the place, 6200-6300 fans. And the arena was 8 blocks or so off campus. Now with the Cam about 300-400 feet or so from many dorms on campus, and about twice the enrollment at the school overall compared to the 1960s, we draw 5400-5800!! Whoooo Weeee!! That fact will surely bring a hearty cheer from Nature Boy Flair, I'm sure.

Oh, but wait: the city has lost about 40 per cent or more of its population since the 60s. But I guess everyone still figure those townies who remain and can drive to the Cam in 10 minutes or less are going to pack the joint EVERY GAME!! Must be California, uh, Cabell "Dreaming"!

I live in the Charleston area and while I selfishly wish MU played a couple games at the CCC every year, I understand why the don't. It's not a backwards/inbred way of thinking, it's just the facts of the situation. There just aren't enough casual fans in the Charleston area to support the decision. Think about it, the fans in Charleston who care enough to go to games are already doing so. Putnam county fans don't view Charleston as being much (if any) closer than Huntington.

I wish sports fans in Charleston would want to flock an hour west more than they do. I wish they didn't want to drive 3 hours north, but that isn't the case. I thought with us recruiting so many local players now under Dan, more basketball people I know from the Charleston area would follow Marshall. But that isn't the case, either. I don't know how to change that trend, but giving up home games in a good college atmosphere at the Cam for an empty/cavernous CCC is not a good plan either, IMO. Every time I watch Marshall bball in the CCC, I think about how much better the atmosphere/game would be in The Cam. IMO, the dead CCC isn't a good way to grow your brand.

I'd like to know, Sean Hammond, what you think of MU's exposure in the Charleston area, particularly the radio coverage of Herd games in the area? Use to be, several years ago, Herd had a pretty strong radio outlet, FM, on the old WKAZ. Was in Charleston not long ago heading south. I tuned in what is suppose to be the FM radio outlet for Herd broadcasts, and I swear, the signal started fading badly by the time I got to the MacCorkle exit on the Turnpike. I'm sure the Herd AM outlet there is just a weak, signal wise, if not more so.

Want to attract casual sports fans? First, you've got to introduce them, and familiarize them, with your product. But since Hamrick just turned over the Herd radio network to IMG, essentially, the network has shrunk in terms of how many fans it reaches. In market after market, weak AM outlets have replaced FM outlets. For night games, that's virtually a "death knell" for any kind of meaningful exposure, as those AM signals often weaken and the coverage area shrinks.

In contrast, across greater Charleston on WVU game days/nights, I'll bet that there are 4 or 5 stations, or more, across the dial, that will be carrying WVU games. That's one big reason, I believe, a lot of "casual" fans make a 3 hour trip north, but not an hour, or less, trip west. Can't tell Hammy, however; he's perfectly content with the status quo, it seems.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'd like to know, Sean Hammond, what you think of MU's exposure in the Charleston area, particularly the radio coverage of Herd games in the area? Use to be, several years ago, Herd had a pretty strong radio outlet, FM, on the old WKAZ. Was in Charleston not long ago heading south. I tuned in what is suppose to be the FM radio outlet for Herd broadcasts, and I swear, the signal started fading badly by the time I got to the MacCorkle exit on the Turnpike. I'm sure the Herd AM outlet there is just a weak, signal wise, if not more so.

Want to attract casual sports fans? First, you've got to introduce them, and familiarize them, with your product. But since Hamrick just turned over the Herd radio network to IMG, essentially, the network has shrunk in terms of how many fans it reaches. In market after market, weak AM outlets have replaced FM outlets. For night games, that's virtually a "death knell" for any kind of meaningful exposure, as those AM signals often weaken and the coverage area shrinks.

In contrast, across greater Charleston on WVU game days/nights, I'll bet that there are 4 or 5 stations, or more, across the dial, that will be carrying WVU games. That's one big reason, I believe, a lot of "casual" fans make a 3 hour trip north, but not an hour, or less, trip west. Can't tell Hammy, however; he's perfectly content with the status quo, it seems.
I understand what you're saying about exposure, but let's not act like if someone wants to watch or listen to Marshall, they can't find it. Marshall had an undefeated football team, with a record setting offense, an AD from Elkview/Clendenin, a HC from Hurricane, an OC from Poca, and i had a handful of extra tickets that I tried to GIVE AWAY to people I work with...no takers. Most of these people live in Charleston-So Chatleston-Dunbar-Cross Lanes-Nitro area. One guy lives in Elkview and went to HS with Hamrick. People in Charleston don't give a shit about Marshall. It's considered like "un-West Virginian" if you take interest in Marshall. I don't know how you take down that barrier, but it's there. I work with a guy who is pretty good friends with the Elmore family. Went to SC about the same time Jon's dad played there. I offered him my tickets a few times last year when I couldn't make the trip and he turned them down each time. Just laughed and said, "Nah, I'll check the box score in the paper in the morning." He's a wvu football season ticket holder, drives 3hrs north every other Saturday in the fall, makes a few trips up north during basketball season, but won't drive 1hr west to see one of the best players in CUSA...who he's friends with. AND won't go see wvu play at the CCC either. If you think it's just a Marshall problem, go read Huggins' comments about playing in Charleston. He hates it and doesn't want to play there anymore. They don't get good crowds there either.

I understand the frustration. I hate where it's at too. But playing games in empty arenas isn't an answer. And with today's technology, i have a much easier time finding a game on a smartphone app than I used to have on a car radio. And who drives around for 3-4 hours at a time while being in one station's range? Hell, I watched our opening game from a hospital bed, on Facebook, on my cell phone. It was actually really good quality. THAT is exposure. But I wonder how many people actually gave 5:00 to stick with watching the game on there instead of scrolling down to read more social media gossip. I figure very few.

- MU and Charleston. MU has some supporters in Charleston, many in fact, and way more in Putnam. But it is what it is. We are not going to get the casual non-alumni non-parent fan anywhere else but in Huntington. It is the nature of things.

- Back in the day. Two letters. T V . Back in DD's time, even into the early 80s, sports on TV consisted of weekend days, monday night football and a very occasional Reds game. That was it. Sports fans went to live sports, because that was sports. Heck, Fairmont State used to draw 1000s for NAIA games. That is what you did. Today there are 40 games per day all day every day. People do not go to live sports just because any more.

- MU and the media. It is frustrating. Blunt fact is that Charleston radio mostly belong to 2 companies, one of which is owned by a 100% anti-Marshall rich guy, the other an out-of-state corporation. They know they can have the rights for a song and know that they can put us on any station and we have to take it. More broadly, EVERY game of a true major or an upper mid-major is on a real TV station, or much more rarely the internet, and EVERY true major is on sat. radio. We get 3 or 4 games on TV and the rest behind a pay wall on the internet shot by a student with the radio call.

- MU and Charleston. MU has some supporters in Charleston, many in fact, and way more in Putnam. But it is what it is. We are not going to get the casual non-alumni non-parent fan anywhere else but in Huntington. It is the nature of things.

- Back in the day. Two letters. T V . Back in DD's time, even into the early 80s, sports on TV consisted of weekend days, monday night football and a very occasional Reds game. That was it. Sports fans went to live sports, because that was sports. Heck, Fairmont State used to draw 1000s for NAIA games. That is what you did. Today there are 40 games per day all day every day. People do not go to live sports just because any more.

- MU and the media. It is frustrating. Blunt fact is that Charleston radio mostly belong to 2 companies, one of which is owned by a 100% anti-Marshall rich guy, the other an out-of-state corporation. They know they can have the rights for a song and know that they can put us on any station and we have to take it. More broadly, EVERY game of a true major or an upper mid-major is on a real TV station, or much more rarely the internet, and EVERY true major is on sat. radio. We get 3 or 4 games on TV and the rest behind a pay wall on the internet shot by a student with the radio call.

Im sure I will get ridiculed for this opinion but I don't care because its the way it is. WVU has way more fans because of what Marshall calls the 'wal-mart' wearing fans. Or in other words- You can spot a Marshall alumni because they are wearing Kelly. You can't spot a WVU alumni because you never know who got their spirit gear at walmart and who actually went to the school. So yes- thats lame that people do that. HOWEVER- Lame equates into dollars, and lots of them. WVU is not just the flagship in WV, they also have followers throughout the country. Obvious not a Notre Dame level, but certainly a level that helps with TV market, tickets sales on away games, etc.. We do not have that, and obviously it's next to impossible to have that. But that IS the reason for these problems you guys are discussion to be just that, problems. If WVU plays in Charleston, people are going to go that don't necessarily support WVU. I would argue that even a handful of Marshall fans (because they are basketball fans) would go to that game. It's just different. Is WVU great in football- of course not. Do they have a draw that sells to a much larger market- of course. That includes charleston. That is why it's tough for us to get games at places like Charleston. It's not just about our fans being loyal supporters (which they are not), it's about people supporting that are beyond just alumni.

That being said, we don't play on a high level of basketball. And thats a fact. If we are 16-2, people would show up to Charleston for a game. If we are 10-8, they will not. Period

Charleston simply does not support Marshall - period! No need to play ANY games there in my opinion. The only people who would come to watch a game (WVU the exception) would be some MU alums in Charleston. Historically, we have never drawn well in Charleston. You youngins need to check back and see attendance at Herd games in Charleston. Hammy's annual "Paint Charleston Green" does not draw throngs of people!

Reactions: Sean Hammond
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT