ADVERTISEMENT

Where Is Men's Basketball Non-conference Schedule?

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Women's has been released. We know the men play at Xavier. Where/when is the remainder going to be released?

Good question.

We also play Illinois, William & Mary, Ohio, Akron, Morehead, Eastern Kentucky, UT-Chattanooga and Toledo.

There will also be three games against Southern, UT Martin and NC Central as part of the Global Sports Classic.

That's 12 games (counting Xavier) so there are probably two or three that haven't been accounted for (that I've heard) via rumor or a source.

The hold up is we are trying to secure one more home game... Illinois is on the schedule as well I believe I saw that announced last week

If we have to settle for a D-2 opponent for the last game, hope Danny can get a Mountain East opponent, perhaps WV State or UC. Try and keep the money in the state, unlike those arrogant, self absorbed jerks up there in "the Hole".

If we have to settle for a D-2 opponent for the last game, hope Danny can get a Mountain East opponent, perhaps WV State or UC. Try and keep the money in the state, unlike those arrogant, self absorbed jerks up there in "the Hole".

Agreed. Let the state keep ALL of the tens of dollars a Marshall-WV State basketball game in December would bring. Imagine the impact that would have on the local economy.

Keeping money "in the state " really does nothing for the state's economy. It's one of the fallacies that keeps getting posted here.

The way you grow an economy is to import or introduce dollars from other state economies. Marshall needs to find opponents,who will travel, and try and schedule home dates with them.

Reactions: pdbailey
Agreed. Let the state keep ALL of the tens of dollars a Marshall-WV State basketball game in December would bring. Imagine the impact that would have on the local economy.

Yeah, Neer in Richmond, just like the impact that Coppin State and New Jersey Tech have when they play in Morganhole this season. Economic boost for the state and Fat Boy pads his W-L record!!

Keeping money "in the state " really does nothing for the state's economy. It's one of the fallacies that keeps getting posted here.

The way you grow an economy is to import or introduce dollars from other state economies. Marshall needs to find opponents,who will travel, and try and schedule home dates with them.

Sorry, but don't really believe very many college fans "travel" much in basketball, unless they are from very rabid, and geographically close, rivals. Haven't seen that many opposing fans at the HC in last couple of seasons, even from "nearby" Morehead, EKU, Ohio U, etc. Doubt that even WVU in a much larger venue has that many opposing fans show up, or even makes more than a couple hundred tickets available to opposing teams, even probably nearby Pitt, or VA Tech, etc.

Reactions: The Real SamC
MU should do everything it can to N E V E R play a non-Division I team in any sport ever again.

In basketball, if I understand it correctly, playing a lower division team is like getting a zero. It did not happen. You lose points even if you blow out the team. It does NOT bring money to the state/town, even if it is local teams like Rio Grande, WV State, or U (sic) C, for the simple reason that these schools have no fans to follow the team in the first place. It makes us look small time.

There has got to be a Sun Belt, Big South, MEAC, OVC type team we can pay $10K and a box lunch to.

MU should do everything it can to N E V E R play a non-Division I team in any sport ever again.

In basketball, if I understand it correctly, playing a lower division team is like getting a zero. It did not happen. You lose points even if you blow out the team. It does NOT bring money to the state/town, even if it is local teams like Rio Grande, WV State, or U (sic) C, for the simple reason that these schools have no fans to follow the team in the first place. It makes us look small time.

There has got to be a Sun Belt, Big South, MEAC, OVC type team we can pay $10K and a box lunch to.

Agree, SamC. Of course, we don't know just who all that Coach D and Coach Cline, who does a lot of our scheduling work, have contacted. Just know that in the past we have played D1 schools like Butler home and home. Greg White's teams also played, I believe, Evansville. Other D1 programs not that far from Huntington include Northern KY, now coached by a former Herd player, and the Horizon League's Wright State. Other MAC opponents would be ok, like Miami (remember all the antics and fan banter with the Red Hawks colorful, and personable, late coach, Charlie Coles?) and Kent State, another perennial strong program. Looking east and south, in Virginia, there are schools like VMI, Radford and James Madison, all D1 programs, that we have had some histories with. In North Carolina,
there is High Point, UNC Greensboro, UNC Asheville, and old SO Con foe, Appy State, all fairly reasonably close. Also, over the years we have seen the Herd play schools in New York like St. Bonaventure, Niagara and Canisius, again all D1 schools. If we can't get Pitt, what about St. Francis of PA, Duquesne, or Robert Morris?

I find it somewhat odd that when it comes to scheduling, while we are playing regional "rivals" like Morehead and EKU in men's basketball, the women's team doesn't play these same opponents. Is there some kind of "issues" there, past coaches' clashes, perhaps, that prevents such games? Can't believe women playing such nearby D1 programs wouldn't be better than playing the likes of Kentucky Christian and Alice Lloyd (ugh!), whom the Herd women play this season, which does nothing for the women's program or its SOS! Oh well, I'm not the person or persons having to deal with the headaches of scheduling. Just pointing some things out from a fan's perspective!!

Any word yet on our men's OOC schedule? Guess teams are scared to play us (LOL)!

bbneutralfan, guess they are waiting for the ink to dry on the last signed home game contract with . . . Alice Lloyd? . . . . Pikeville College? . . . Rio Grande? Reverting to the Donnie Jones scheduling philosophy, maybe. Should bring a stampede of ticket buyers to the HC box office, to be sure!!

As of Saturday MU was still looking for one last game. It looks like we will be forced to have to play a DII game. Danny hates that. He has tried to play a money game on the road but no success in getting any takers. Then tried to get a DI game at home. Now may have to buy a lower division game. As Danny said, next year will be even tougher than this year. He had a few automatic games this year as 2nd year of 2 year contracts. He won't have that luxury next year.

Very disappointed that it has come to this two years in a row. Big DD fan, but somebody on staff should be responsible for drumming up a D1 game here, there, or wherever. Makes the program look bad to play nonD1 games IMHO.

Very disappointed that it has come to this two years in a row. Big DD fan, but somebody on staff should be responsible for drumming up a D1 game here, there, or wherever. Makes the program look bad to play nonD1 games IMHO.

so do you think we should kidnap children of the athletic directors or coaches to force them to play us? what's your game plan?

so do you think we should kidnap children of the athletic directors or coaches to force them to play us? what's your game plan?

It does not work that way at all. Football, yes. There are, and when we were good were a lot more, teams that just would not play us. I get that. This is basketball. We are not the dregs of the world in basketball. We generate some $$. There are a lot of one-bid DI leagues that play in what can only be describes as a big gym, off TV, and bus around. There are certainly 50 or so such teams within 200 miles or so that can be paid a few $$, bus in, take their loss, get a box lunch and back on the bus.

Playing a DII or lower school makes us look small time.

It does not work that way at all. Football, yes. There are, and when we were good were a lot more, teams that just would not play us. I get that. This is basketball. We are not the dregs of the world in basketball. We generate some $$. There are a lot of one-bid DI leagues that play in what can only be describes as a big gym, off TV, and bus around. There are certainly 50 or so such teams within 200 miles or so that can be paid a few $$, bus in, take their loss, get a box lunch and back on the bus.

Playing a DII or lower school makes us look small time.

except we've called them and they've had no interest in playing us

How about this, make more calls, don't wait so long, find a needle in the haystack. I don't know I don't get paid to do it. Doesn't seem to be a problem at most places. Just get the job done however it needs done. No kidnapping, just sufficient elbow grease. Once was bad but maybe understandable, twice in a row?

Reactions: The Real SamC
How about this, make more calls, don't wait so long, find a needle in the haystack. I don't know I don't get paid to do it. Doesn't seem to be a problem at most places. Just get the job done however it needs done. No kidnapping, just sufficient elbow grease. Once was bad but maybe understandable, twice in a row?

Don't wait so long to make calls?

Do you think that this process just started a week or two ago?

Well Random what do you think? I'm sure calls have been made. And assuming that is the case then does that not beg the question as to why the schedule cannot be completed? No major program seemingly does not want to risk playing here but I'm sure they will play us on the road or some neutral location but that does not help the home schedule. We will probably see a Mountain East opponent which certainly fires up the Herd faithful. Also seems somewhat strange that DD and Cline do the OOC schedule which is fine, but where is the AD in all this? No connections to land us some better home opponents. Just wondering.

[ppp-

Its not like MU has had such overwhelming basketball success, see our post season appearances and wins in the last 40 years or so, along with all our conference championship banners in the same period. Yeah, we've got such an awesome basketball history and the HC is such an intimidating venue packed to the rafters game after game that hardly any D1 program has any interest in playing the Herd, home or away!!

I know for a fact that Clemson, Indiana and Ohio State all had openings. We asked if we could come there and play. They all said NO. I know for a fact that we have tried many, many mid majors and the same answer. Danny hates the fact that we will most likely have to have a home game vs a DII or NAIA team.
Next year will be tougher because he had a few games this year that were year 2 of a home and home. Not the case for next year.

I know for a fact that Clemson, Indiana and Ohio State all had openings. We asked if we could come there and play.

Are you saying they said "no" to a no-return game and if so, at what price? Or are you just saying we were underbid by other teams willing to take less $$? Ohio State's non-exempt, non-challenge schedule is out (Robert Morris, Radford, Texas Southern) as is Indiana's (Indiana State, Howard, IP Fort Wayne, Tennessee Tech, Youngstown). Clemson's only regular non-conference game listed is Louisiana Lafayette.

If we are in a lowest bid bidding war with any of that like, we are in more trouble than I thought.

Maybe we can play WVU's farsical Beckley branch at the Raleigh Country Armory and get all 58 people still living in Mullens to come.

You can't force someone to play you, at home or away. I'm sure that all have plenty of contacts. Mark has been scheduling games for many, many years

He's looking at this in the most simplistic way possible to get a shot in on Hamrick.

Are you saying they said "no" to a no-return game and if so, at what price? Or are you just saying we were underbid by other teams willing to take less $$? Ohio State's non-exempt, non-challenge schedule is out (Robert Morris, Radford, Texas Southern) as is Indiana's (Indiana State, Howard, IP Fort Wayne, Tennessee Tech, Youngstown). Clemson's only regular non-conference game listed is Louisiana Lafayette.

If we are in a lowest bid bidding war with any of that like, we are in more trouble than I thought.

Maybe we can play WVU's farsical Beckley branch at the Raleigh Country Armory and get all 58 people still living in Mullens to come.
All I know is, Danny asked to be able to come and play those teams since at the time they all had openings. They all said no! I didn't get into money, etc.

MH is the AD. The AD has overall responsibility. Thus an AD should have connections. If Herd men's basketball needs a game - and the Head Coach and assistant can't get one does it not make sense you turn to your AD. No one trying to take a shot at MH.

HM do you know what is the reason that all these schools say no? Are they afraid it might be a loss, the amount of $ we are asking or paying, or some other reason. Not trying to dispute what you say, just want to understand.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
The last time I inquired about our men's basketball non-conference schedule was August 27. Have I missed Amy announcement regarding the schedule? The rest of the D-1 teams are complete. Heck if we have to buy a game do it for cheap - Huntington Prep! Oh I forgot. We don't recruit those players. We want to see them play for other teams. Just asking when is our schedule going to be complete.

The last time I inquired about our men's basketball non-conference schedule was August 27. Have I missed Amy announcement regarding the schedule? The rest of the D-1 teams are complete. Heck if we have to buy a game do it for cheap - Huntington Prep! Oh I forgot. We don't recruit those players. We want to see them play for other teams. Just asking when is our schedule going to be complete.

Should definitely be out by now, but it's not.

Here's some dates I found:

11/16 @ Morehead State
11/19 @ Illinois
11/29 @ William & Mary
12/2 Akron
12/5 Chattanooga
12/9 @ Toledo
12/16 Ohio
12/19 @ Xavier
12/22 EKU

Should definitely be out by now, but it's not.

Here's some dates I found:

11/16 @ Morehead State
11/19 @ Illinois
11/29 @ William & Mary
12/2 Akron
12/5 Chattanooga
12/9 @ Toledo
12/16 Ohio
12/19 @ Xavier
12/22 EKU

which one is the whiteout?

Hey Chris thanks. I had also looked at schedules. Appreciate the help. Hope DD and Cline can find a good for home but this late does not look good.

which one is the whiteout?

michael-keaton.gif

When the Herd football team wins the CUSA East Division, there could be a very unique Herd sports scenario setting up on December 2. Herd women BB entertain Southern Illinois; men's BB hosts Akron; and if the football team hosts the CUSA championship, the whole joint along 3rd Avenue from 18th Street to around 22nd Street should be jumpin!! :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT