ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't we finish......

HerdFan91

Green Buffalo
Sep 21, 2009
Ona, Wv
What the hell is going on?? We get a big lead then let teams hang around and start absolute melting down!

If you guys think we played well in the 2nd half, I can't wait to hear the bitching when we play WKU. But what the hell, we are winning ..... In the worst G5 conference out there so I guess it's ok.... Take the green colored glasses off fellas

Are you go herd 24 on the bitch board? We don't see many chuck Landon bitchers here or eerbillyz here.

What's going on with the pic?

Can we ban this idiot over here?

Shouldn't you stay on the bitch board?

"Can't finish?" Or just simply don't run up the score? Over Doc's tenure I've been very pleased (for the most part) with how his teams have played after halftime. If you thought today, in that situation especially, we were going to run up the score on them than you are more delusional than UCF and WVU fans comined

We did finish... by halftime. They put in in cruise. No need to prove we can score 60. We already knew we could beat them that badly if we wanted.

I saw one of the infographics say Doc was like 36-2 with a lead at halftime. I was very impressed by that stat if true.

I saw one of the infographics say Doc was like 36-2 with a lead at halftime. I was very impressed by that stat if true.

Yeah that would be remarkable. That would mean since his second game at Marshall (WVU) we have only lost 1 game with a lead at halftime.

The game was 31-3 at the half and 34-3 early in the fourth.. and that was with three scores taken off the board in less than a quarter.

Missed two field goals (37 and 38 yards)
Had a TD pass called back on a chop block.

Litton finished with 490 yards passing and only played 3 qtrs.

But dont let the actual events of the game get in the way of the "we cant finish, why don't we win by 70" nonsense again this week.

The game was 31-3 at the half and 34-3 early in the fourth.. and that was with three scores taken off the board in less than a quarter.

Missed two field goals (37 and 38 yards)
Had a TD pass called back on a chop block.

Litton finished with 490 yards passing and only played 3 qtrs.

But dont let the actual events of the game get in the way of the "we cant finish, why don't we win by 70" nonsense again this week.

Missing two field goals is NOT 2 scores taken off the board as no points were ever there. It IS not finishing drives which the original poster was eluding to. I too am not for running up the score on anyone. But it wasn't "not running up the score" that kept us from scoring in the 3rd quarter against as weak of a G5 team as you can play. It was lack of intensity and discipline. We have a knack of going into a shell after getting a lead and it seems to be a combination of play calling and execution.

We never lost control of the game...from the kickoff, this game was in our hands.
Plus, given the sensitive nature of this game in regards to coach Ratliff, we didn't need to score 50+ on this team, rather, show them we are the better program, which I believe we did in all facets of the game itself.

you guys can throw out any number of excuses as to why we didn't score the second half, but please stop pretending we were not trying. we were throwing the ball all 3rd quarter and still chucking it with 3 minutes to go in the 4th. we went for it on 4th down with 5:34 to go in the 3rd. we also went for it on 4th down with 2:51 to go in the game... and it was a pass play.

as several have pointed out (and been drug over hot coals for their heresy), we executed pretty crappy the entire second half of the game...

you guys can throw out any number of excuses as to why we didn't score the second half, but please stop pretending we were not trying. we were throwing the ball all 3rd quarter and still chucking it with 3 minutes to go in the 4th. we went for it on 4th down with 5:34 to go in the 3rd. we also went for it on 4th down with 2:51 to go in the game... and it was a pass play.

as several have pointed out (and been drug over hot coals for their heresy), we executed pretty crappy the entire second half of the game...

Yeah...looking at it from one end of the spectrum is easy.
You know there are 2 main parts to a game of football...offense and defense. The offense wasn't scoring, despite trying to...but neither was UNCC's offense, because our defense was absolutely kicking their asses.
Game was in control...end of story.

So when we get a big lead we shut down, can anyone tell me a logical reason why that is a bad thing?

Yeah...looking at it from one end of the spectrum is easy.
You know there are 2 main parts to a game of football...offense and defense. The offense wasn't scoring, despite trying to...but neither was UNCC's offense, because our defense was absolutely kicking their asses.
Game was in control...end of story.

nobody has said the game wasn't in "control". the offense played poorly and did not execute the 2nd half. that is exactly what a dozen people have said in multiple threads on this board only to have another dozen people claim any number of excuses (that do not include playing poorly) as to why...

Reactions: 30Kelly and blevins
So when we get a big lead we shut down, can anyone tell me a logical reason why that is a bad thing?

read my post above. we didn't "shut down"... why is it so hard for some of you to check the box score, run/pass plays, ect and come to the conclusion that we (offense) GOT shut down the 2nd half...

i'm happy as can be to keep winning these games even if they were by 1 point in OT... but the constant flames poured on people that have actually noted the poor play against poor opponents is tiresome. hopefully we are just playing to our opponents like we have done several times over the years. hopefully this doesn't hurt us against MT and WKU. hopefully...

Reactions: 30Kelly
Threads like this are amusing for many reasons... If we make two easily makeable field goals and dont have a chop block on a TD pass the game is 44-3 in the third quarter and the same guys that are on here every week whining that this team doesnt score enough would be the first one thumping their chests about how we "opened up the playbook" and we "turned a corner."

If you can't see a difference in our play calling and game pacing from the first to the second half of these games we have had in hand at half, then certainly nothing I can say is going to change that.

Two phantom chop block penalties were a big problem. But we just killed the clock out the whole second half and sat on them.

Remember how Alabama always got complained at for this when they were winning titles every year or two? Then they decided to try to become dynamic offensively, and have lost some shootouts in the process. They've simplified since the Ole Miss loss and now people think they have the best defense in America again.

Reactions: bangtheherd
The way to determine if we shut/slowed down is how many times we went downfield in the third quarter. We had the hottest duo in all of college football yesterday. How many times did we try to connect them in each quarter.

blevins it is "alluding" and not "eluding." Two different words and two different meanings. Not trying to be a smartass just saying to help.

blevins glad to see some on here can take a little commentary without getting bent out of shape. Thanks for being polite. P.S. - math was my worst subject!

The way to determine if we shut/slowed down is how many times we went downfield in the third quarter. We had the hottest duo in all of college football yesterday. How many times did we try to connect them in each quarter.

Respectfully disagree. A sign of being shut down is not being able to find the endzone. The only points taken off the board was the TD to Reaves in the 3rd I believe.

Some of you in this thread keep going to extremes when mocking those questioning the 2nd half. No one said we should have score 45 in the second half or even scored 50 or 60.

What some are questioning are why we could not score a TD in the entire 2nd half.

We have went two straight weeks failing to score a TD against two of the worst teams FBS has to offer.

Those of you saying we are were shutting down must have not watched the game. We were running the same plays we did in the first half. The difference was that the execution went to crap. We had one drive where we got in the redzone and 3 or 4 false starts that took it away.

Litton connected with Reaves for six and that was called back for a penalty as well.

The focus and execution was not there.

Let me ask you guys why all the sudden the staff would decide to this, this year? They didn't last season. Why now? Why would you not take advantage of North Texas and Charlotte to het your young QB better in sync with the offense and his surrounding cast knowing WKU coud be another shootout?

And even if we did go conservative with the play calling Charlotte was not good enough to keep us from scoring for two quarters. A RB usually squirted loose last year in garbage time.

Bleeds nails it...

especially like the question about this year "shutting it down" vs last year. maybe Doc's heart grew 3 sizes in the off season...

or maybe we have been shut down the last couple of games in the 2nd half........

Bleeds nails it...

especially like the question about this year "shutting it down" vs last year. maybe Doc's heart grew 3 sizes in the off season...

or maybe we have been shut down the last couple of games in the 2nd half........

Even if that is the case and we have been shut down, does it matter? At the end of the day, who cares? We've dominated all but a few games this year. Stop looking for things to be upset about. Maybe we did get shut down, but there is zero evidence that will happen when we play middle or even WKU.

Maybe we did get shut down, but there is zero evidence that will happen when we play middle or even WKU.

It would seem to me the fact that we have failed to play well in the 2nd half of games vs some of the absolute bottom teams in the nation is quite solid evidence that it is a trend and may likely happen against the remaining teams we play with a pulse.

Some of you are so giddy with the final result of 8-1 that's all you truly care about. That's fine, but to use that mentality and say we have nothing to be concerned about simply because we are 8-1 is just lying to yourself.

It is also telling that Vegas doesn't think we will win, because they go beyond the 8-1 record and use the evidence we have laid out for them to make their assessment.

What I saw was sloppy play by the offensive line, illegal motion - possible because of the pace of the play calls - and some holding and a chop block but we have to get back to 80+ plays per game, especially since the defensive depth should permit that speed.

What I saw on defense was too many offside calls against the middle of our defensive line and inexcusable personal fouls. All told, we racked up another 100+ day in penalties which directly produced their 2nd half TD.

Did anyone notice that the tiny defensive set for Charlotte shut down our running game? Obviously they sent the message that Freshman Litton was going to have to be better than he had been - and he was.

It would seem to me the fact that we have failed to play well in the 2nd half of games vs some of the absolute bottom teams in the nation is quite solid evidence that it is a trend and may likely happen against the remaining teams we play with a pulse.

Some of you are so giddy with the final result of 8-1 that's all you truly care about. That's fine, but to use that mentality and say we have nothing to be concerned about simply because we are 8-1 is just lying to yourself.

It is also telling that Vegas doesn't think we will win, because they go beyond the 8-1 record and use the evidence we have laid out for them to make their assessment.

1. Who cares about Vegas?
2. every saturday is a new game. Yes there's a correlation we have played poorly in the second half, the other correlation? We have had all of those games in hand before the end of the first quarter. Look I get what you're saying, I also understand how sport psychology and motivation work. And it is almost impossible to get young kids to be completely disciplined in the second half of a game when it appears they are playing a high school. I also doubt we were making all the half time adjustments we normally would make.

At the end of the day winning and losing is what matters. We have won 7 straight games with a true freshman QB and mostly our 3rd string or worse RB. Be happy. Gripe when we lose.

Seems like a trait of a very young team. We hear about it in sports all the time. They will get better at putting teams away. Noticed against NT we had fresh QB fresh RB 2 fresh rec and two freshmen linemen in the game at same time in second half. Due to injuries this went from a reloading to a rebuilding year. But hey I will take 8-1 rebuilding!

We have nothing to worry about because the team knows how to lay it on another team when they need to. Do you honestly think the players don't know the difference between 2015 WKU and 2015 Charlotte? They know when a team is capable of playing with them and when a team isn't. Cabell Midland could put Charlotte away. We jumped on them, put it out of reach and eased up. It's nothing to worry about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT