ADVERTISEMENT

Why not move on Gullickson Reno??

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
….Per Chuck's article in today's HD: Why can't MU move forward with the Gullickson (built in 1961) Hall basketball project? Both baseball field construction and Gullickson re-model were included in the package. So, while we re-bid the Cook Field project, we could go forward with Gullickson. I am sure there is a valid reason, but cannot come up with one. Thoughts?

I would think that the money already donated would be enough to do the Gullickson project
I’m going to get in trouble for typing this, but the reality is this:
The baseball field has been a bridge too far for 50 years. The b-ball program has made real strides in the last 7 seasons under DD. When a program does well, it usually gets rewarded. Let’s pop the GH’s redo cherry and get it done!! Lots of dividends going forward for one of two sports that pays for it’s own keep @ MU...

Reactions: Herdmeister
60 years old isn't that old for a good designed and well-build building. Here is a suggestion, get DD to scope out what he needs in terms of baskets, floor design for practice, etc. and get a cost estimate on that. Start a "go fund it/me" project for specifically this issue. When collected, make a "specific need" contribution to the athletic department. I bet DD could have an improved BB practice facility by the time his practices start next year.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yeah, guys that "more with less" stuff was part of Klueless Kayo's "slow dime, fast nickel" B.S.

Some of you really need to go onto the University's website and locate the section on the Board of Governors. Then open up the latest minutes of the BOG's meetings, which as of yesterday was the meeting of last September, IIRC. Subsequent meetings have been held but, typically at MU, they are a little slow in updating the site with the most current meeting notes/minutes.

That site shows the priority as of 9/19, of the University's capital projects which were submitted to, and approved by, the Higher Ed. Policy Committee in Charleston. Plenty of projects on there, with projected price tags from a few hundred thousand to $40 million or so. Of course, the HEPC then has to submit requests for funding to the State Legislature for approval, and its pretty well known that that august body is anything but friendly to Higher Ed. in this state unless your name is WVU!

Now the top two projects at MU on the priority list are the baseball facility and Gullickson renovation project and the Grad School of business facility on 4th Avenue. And those projects are high on the list because MU has and is raising a large portion of their cost from PRIVATE SOURCES, not state funding!! As has been the case for years, state funding, revenue bonds, etc., for capital projects at MU and other state schools not affiliated with WVU is woefully LOW and inadequate! Want a comparison: when James Madison opens its plush, ultra modern new basketball arena this fall, the school will have put in about $12 million in private funds into the facility which has a total cost of $85 MILLION. The balance comes from STATE monies. Marshall, on the other hand, doesn't have that option or luxury.

So yeah, just raze Gullickson and rebuild from the ground up! With what, Einsteins?? A good example of that is found in the abandoned church along 5th Avenue located right next to the West lot at the Joan. MU's 2013 Capital Master Plan indicates that the Church was to be razed at a cost of $400 to $500 thousand and the land could be use for more parking in the West Lot vicinity, may half a dozen to a dozen new spots or so. Meaning additional $$$ into the school's athletic revenue stream. Well, in seven years MU hasn't had, apparently, even a few hundred thousand available to raze said church and obtain additional parking on the West Lot. So, yeah, just snap someone's fingers, raze Gullickson, and then, POOF!, build a practice facility for basketball!! NO Problem-O, Right??

Last edited:
As I’ve tried to convey for years Marshall is broke. They can muster some money to build something but they struggle to keep the minimum of maintenance or improvement. Much worse is MU cannot attract and keep top faculty which then bleeds into the product the university produces and the quality of student wanting to pay for that product.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
As I’ve tried to convey for years Marshall is broke. They can muster some money to build something but they struggle to keep the minimum of maintenance or improvement. Much worse is MU cannot attract and keep top faculty which then bleeds into the product the university produces and the quality of student wanting to pay for that product.
Oh, great. Now we have Job’s comforter, GD, telling us that we might as well give up & where do we get off wanting better? We should be eternally happy that we are able to scrape a few crumbs now & then....BS!! No fan who really has it in his heart that MU should ALWAYS strive for better doesn’t consistently make these kinds of negative comments.
I like the comment about the bones of the G. If it has good ones, you are absolutely correct it makes more sense (& cents!) to remodel. I love the idea of having DD do some barnstorming and tell The Faithful what his specific needs are, and hell yes a private GFM is a good idea. You never know until you ask!!

Reactions: GreenDuke
Nothing like this will happen now. If this virus deal goes on for a few more weeks things will be put on a priority. Goes on longer than that and we will be in a depression. Might be a good article but the states are going to be broke for awhile.

Yeah, we aren’t a wealthy school but we’ve heard this for years. You would think at some point the school would figure it out that you have to build a connection with your students and alumni. Not just communicate with them when you need money.
Our AD and BG Director are paid fairly well all things considered. They need to step up and make every effort to bring more fans in the fold. Yeah, it’s great to go for big hitters but we need to go for anyone that will donate and not turn up our nose at the little guy. Some of the little guys will likely become big donors down the road IF Marshall can cultivate the relationship. This is solely on Marshall for never being proactive.

60 years old isn't that old for a good designed and well-build building. Here is a suggestion, get DD to scope out what he needs in terms of baskets, floor design for practice, etc. and get a cost estimate on that. Start a "go fund it/me" project for specifically this issue. When collected, make a "specific need" contribution to the athletic department. I bet DD could have an improved BB practice facility by the time his practices start next year.
Mike D'Antoni wanted to give significant dollars for just that thing. He was told NO. The same thing happened a few years ago with a proposed tennis venue

Mike D'Antoni wanted to give significant dollars for just that thing. He was told NO. The same thing happened a few years ago with a proposed tennis venue

ADDING insult to injury.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was CEO of Hyundai-AMERICA. He was the top dog.

He met with "powers to be in Charleston" and informed them---"I have the authority to build two Hyundai plants in WV....one in the southern part; the other in the northern sector." "

I came to Huntington from New Jersey as a student and Marshall helped mold me to the successful man I am."

He was told-------NOT INTERESTED.

Last year, a lady friend of mine that held a high position with a Pharma company met with "powers to be at Marshall [no names to protect them]. She said....."I want to begin funding a Biology scholarship with $10,000 to start for a deserving MU student majoring in Biology."

Guess what........."We (Marshall) are not interested in such a $mall amount!" Of course, this meeting happened before we lost Mark Cline.

Net-Net.....Marshall kissed $10 K goodbye (sadly for a student that needs a scholarship)......DRUM ROLL--PLEASE......They lost a donor (my lady friend) forever......."Sweeney, it will be a cold day in Hell before Marshall ever gets $$$$$ from me!"

Dumb shit happens in WV & @ Marshall......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
ADDING insult to injury.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was CEO of Hyundai-AMERICA. He was the top dog.

He met with "powers to be in Charleston" and informed them---"I have the authority to build two Hyundai plants in WV....one in the southern part; the other in the northern sector." "

I came to Huntington from New Jersey as a student and Marshall helped mold me to the successful man I am."

He was told-------NOT INTERESTED.

Last year, a lady friend of mine that held a high position with a Pharma company met with "powers to be at Marshall [no names to protect them]. She said....."I want to begin funding a Biology scholarship with $10,000 to start for a deserving MU student majoring in Biology."

Guess what........."We (Marshall) are not interested in such a $mall amount!" Of course, this meeting happened before we lost Mark Cline.

Net-Net.....Marshall kissed $10 K goodbye (sadly for a student that needs a scholarship)......DRUM ROLL--PLEASE......They lost a donor (my lady friend) forever......."Sweeney, it will be a cold day in Hell before Marshall ever gets $$$$$ from me!"

Dumb shit happens in WV & @ Marshall......

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
You probably didn't get the full story. It takes $25,000 to endow a scholarship. It doesnt start earning funds for a scholarship until the full amount is in place. When it is fully funded and starts earning interest you can figure on about a $1,000 per year (4% return) scholarship.

You probably didn't get the full story. It takes $25,000 to endow a scholarship. It doesnt start earning funds for a scholarship until the full amount is in place. When it is fully funded and starts earning interest you can figure on about a $1,000 per year (4% return) scholarship.

Thanks for the education.
Now it makes more Cent$. I was shocked to HERD they were not interested in a $10K offering to start a scholarship......

HerdZilla22

OK, so several people called BS on the scholarship story and got to the bottom of it... but what about the Hyundai story? Got to be much more to that too... while state leaders are incompetent, they would crawl across broken glass to get another auto plant like the Toyota one... let alone two. No way they simply had no interest. The Hyundai rep must have asked for a huge tax incentive package the state couldn’t meet, or demanded the plants be non-union, or some other deal-breaker?

OK, so several people called BS on the scholarship story and got to the bottom of it... but what about the Hyundai story? Got to be much more to that too... while state leaders are incompetent, they would crawl across broken glass to get another auto plant like the Toyota one... let alone two. No way they simply had no interest. The Hyundai rep must have asked for a huge tax incentive package the state couldn’t meet, or demanded the plants be non-union, or some other deal-breaker?
I know the people in the state economic development office. Has to be more to this story

The Hyundai rep must have asked for a huge tax incentive package the state couldn’t meet, or demanded the plants be non-union, or some other deal-breaker?

Toyota is non union. The construction of the plant was union, but the workers are non union.

But you are correct, the state would not tell ANYONE in the automotive industry that they were not interested.

Reactions: Always The Herd

BLAH BLAH BLAH.
.....would you call your Dad or Brother===a liar?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

BLAH BLAH BLAH......would you call your Dad or Brother===a liar?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
What an excellent response. I assume you were the captain of the debate team.

No one called you or your friend a liar about the scholarship, but it was easily proven that you simply didn’t have all the facts. Obviously the same is true of the Hyundai story. We can see the state didn’t make a deal with him, but anyone with half a brain knows WV is beyond interested in someone coming in and building 2 Hyundai plants. They weren’t simply “not interested” as you claim... you simply don’t know the reason why the state couldn’t make an agreement with them. Anyone who comes to a state with 2 auto plants in his pocket has a list of demands he needs met. Find out what they were and why the state had to let him walk away, and you’ll have the rest of the story.

What an excellent response. I assume you were the captain of the debate team.

No one called you or your friend a liar about the scholarship, but it was easily proven that you simply didn’t have all the facts. Obviously the same is true of the Hyundai story. We can see the state didn’t make a deal with him, but anyone with half a brain knows WV is beyond interested in someone coming in and building 2 Hyundai plants. They weren’t simply “not interested” as you claim... you simply don’t know the reason why the state couldn’t make an agreement with them. Anyone who comes to a state with 2 auto plants in his pocket has a list of demands he needs met. Find out what they were and why the state had to let him walk away, and you’ll have the rest of the story.
how about we get this back to subject. I think someone needs to do an interview with the AD and ask him for a status report on this project?

What a novel idea 5150. Go ahead and contact MH and ask him to please post a status report here on Herd Nation.

What a novel idea 5150. Go ahead and contact MH and ask him to please post a status report here on Herd Nation.

I don't see anything wrong with the AD communicating what's going on with the millions of dollars fans have already donated. They're not his, that's for damn sure. I'd love to see more communication from the AD on these projects, it may build some momentum and cause those not in the loop to actually donate. jmho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT