ADVERTISEMENT

WKU very beatable this season

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Watched part of the 2nd half of last nite’s WKU @ Middle tilt. Toppers are not at the same level we have come to expect under Stans. Keys to a win:
Turnovers turnovers turnovers! When you give the opponent 12 extra possessions in the 1st half, you have a problem. And these aren’t TO’s created by top shelf defense! Just stoopid lazy passes and mental mistakes. Easily corrected (!)
Hitting the 3 ball. We have the potential to run them out of the Cam if we can get hot early. WKU & FAU tied for #2 East seed at 9-7. They have to know that, combined with last night’s loss and the likely sweep this coming weekend of FIU by FAU, they cannot afford a loss in either game vs the Herd. We, otoh, should be able to play with abandon, as we have already punched our ticket to the Big Tuesday shootout in Frisco!! 😳
Play D like we did in Murfreesboro. We actually have them fits. Play active & for God’s sake: grab those loose balls!! Seems like we never end up with the 50/50 balls.
DD actually gives a damn - c’mon Coach!! Put all you have into this last home game.
WS
p.s. Cam Justice, who lit us up in the 1st half of the IUPUI game when John broke Skip’s record 3 years ago, returns after finishing his career, getting a master’s and the coming back to be a starter on this year’s WKU squad. That is probably the only time that has happened afaik ……
What is the big deal?
If you have been reading HerdZone articles this season, you know that the 1st made 3 Wednesday night by a Herd man will mark the 1000th game in a row we have made one (the last time was vs App in 1989). What is significant about this? Are we the 1st team to ever do it? Can somebody PLEASE ‘splain it to me?

Last edited:
A split would be a huge moral victory. So disappointed with this season it’s hard to get excited. Just ready to get it over with.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Watched part of the 2nd half of last nite’s WKU @ Middle tilt. Toppers are not at the same level we have come to expect under Stans. Keys to a win:
Turnovers turnovers turnovers! When you give the opponent 12 extra possessions in the 1st half, you have a problem. And these aren’t TO’s created by top shelf defense! Just stoopid lazy passes and mental mistakes. Easily corrected (!)
Hitting the 3 ball. We have the potential to run them out of the Cam if we can get hot early. WKU & FAU tied for #2 East seed at 9-7. They have to know that, combined with last night’s loss and the likely sweep this coming weekend of FIU by FAU, they cannot afford a loss in either game vs the Herd. We, otoh, should be able to play with abandon, as we have already punched our ticket to the Big Tuesday shootout in Frisco!! 😳
Play D like we did in Murfreesboro. We actually have them fits. Play active & for God’s sake: grab those loose balls!! Seems like we never end up with the 50/50 balls.
DD actually gives a damn - c’mon Coach!! Put all you have into this last home game.
WS
p.s. Cam Justice, who lit us up in the 1st half of the IUPUI game when John broke Skip’s record 3 years ago, returns after finishing his career, getting a master’s and the coming back to be a starter on this year’s WKU squad. That is probably the only time that has happened afaik ……
What is the big deal?
If you have been reading HerdZone articles this season, you know that the 1st made 3 Wednesday night by a Herd man will mark the 1000th game in a row we have made one (the last time was vs App in 1989). What is significant about this? Are we the 1st team to ever do it? Can somebody PLEASE ‘splain it to me?
Princeton and UNLV are the only 2 teams that have a made 3 in every game since the 3 line was introduced….UNLV is well over 1100 consecutive games….
Princeton is approaching 1000, the Ivy League was one of the last leagues to introduce the 3 pt line.
Arkansas had a streak about the same but their streak just ended.

I believe Duke and WKU also have streaks that are over 1000 that are still active.

Last edited:
I could care less about moral victories or obscure statistics about three point shots.

If I have it figured correctly, we are locked in at 7th (last) place and will play fellow PIG FIU in the east division PIG. FIU has beaten DD’s sorry charges twice already.

The main thing we could do vis WKU, is make it clear that this is it. Not to late to have a “DD Night” live on ESPNU, and give him a great parting gift and wish him well in retirement.

I am considering attending the game Wednesday, only because I've got some thought that it will be DD's last home game as Head Coach at MU. But then, I don't think it really will be. If this was next year, there would be no doubt about it.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I am considering attending the game Wednesday, only because I've got some thought that it will be DD's last home game as Head Coach at MU. But then, I don't think it really will be. If this was next year, there would be no doubt about it.
I agree... the DD era is drawing to a close but more likely in 2023!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree... the DD era is drawing to a close but more likely in 2023!
Probably true. Sad to see another year totally wasted. Even in the SBC (whose champion is projected as a 15 seed), after 23 we are looking at 25 or 26, to clean up the mess that DD has made.

Sad that a token effort is acceptable to those in power.

Probably true. Sad to see another year totally wasted. Even in the SBC (whose champion is projected as a 15 seed), after 23 we are looking at 25 or 26, to clean up the mess that DD has made.

Sad that a token effort is acceptable to those in power.
Yes, I don't expect much next year in the swan song season, .500 at best! But at least we'll have time to scout out a young , hungry and smart assistant coach P-5 coach to breath some life back into the program.

Yes, I don't expect much next year in the swan song season, .500 at best! But at least we'll have time to scout out a young , hungry and smart assistant coach P-5 coach to breath some life back into the program.
We need to give Greg Marshall a chance. He would do a great job here. jmo.

We give many players second chances, why not coaches. Worked well for Auburn and Bruce Pearl.

We need to give Greg Marshall a chance. He would do a great job here. jmo.

We give many players second chances, why not coaches. Worked well for Auburn and Bruce Pearl.
A bit different baggage in those two cases. Alleged player and staff abuse is a sticky wicket. But I would be all for giving him an interview for the power to be get Greg's side of the story!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
A bit different baggage in those two cases. Alleged player and staff abuse is a sticky wicket. But I would be all for giving him an interview for the power to be get Greg's side of the story!
Marshall: Alleged player and staff abuse. Got a $7.5M settlement from the school. Nothing proven.

Pearl: Paid the players, lied to the NCAA, covered up drug use and drug dealing, had a group of young female students to “service” recruits and players. All proven.

Marshall: Alleged player and staff abuse. Got a $7.5M settlement from the school. Nothing proven.

Pearl: Paid the players, lied to the NCAA, covered up drug use and drug dealing, had a group of young female students to “service” recruits and players. All proven.
True, but in today's world Greg's " offense's" are considered more dastardly! It seems yelling at at a player asking him to move his ass, can be considered "abuse". We have to offer Greg an interview ,IMHO!

If D'Antoni is the coach next year in the Sun Belt, I can see him having a winning season. This is not a good basketball conference. As I said earlier, I think the three incoming members could all be better than the existing members

If D'Antoni is the coach next year in the Sun Belt, I can see him having a winning season. This is not a good basketball conference. As I said earlier, I think the three incoming members could all be better than the existing members
I could not see DD having a winning season in the Mountain East. But, yes, the SBC is a move down in quality in basketball from CUSA, which is a hard thing to do. Generally the SBC champion is a 15 seed, while CUSA is about a 13. This is not a high level of basketball. ODU and JMU add to the conference. Like CUSA, many token efforts at basketball, there to be grabbed by the throat and controlled.

The SBC is a solid move up from CUSA 3.0, and a million times better than what CUSA 4.0 will be, in football. It, with the associate members (WVU, UK, and South Carolina) will be as good a men’s soccer conference as there is. It is a tremendous baseball conference. It is a better golf conference. It is a better softball conference.

But DD’s path just got even easier. Not that he has an ability to capitalize on that fact.

Fire DD.

Toppers open -2.5 . Finally the realization settling in for the bookies….
They took a bath on us early, couldn't get a grip on just how weak we were! But having said that I can see a flip flop this week, take MU +2.5 at home tonight but lay whatever is within reason in Bowling Green on Saturday!

Let us 🙏

Predictable. Jack up some 3’s and play half hearted defense. Down 8 with 7:30 left in the half. WKU on a 13-5 run.

WS
What is the big deal?
Not by us they arent

We don't know the meaning of the word defense. When we do guard somebody, it's lackluster. When we launch a 3, the other 4 guys are on the move....moving to the other end of the court instead of going for a rebound. We make lazy passes. We seem to be disconnected to the game. DD is an analytics guy. Here's my analytics.....When you're shooting 7 of 25 on 3s, and you're shooting 19 of 35 on 2s, wouldn't it make more sense to be shooting more 2s closer to the bucket. I've watched Herd bball for 57 years and this is about the most dismal team I have ever seen.

WKU was quicker, stronger and more athletic. Kinsey and Obinna are the only ones from our squad would would be in their rotation for minutes. It's sad. We just aren't athletic, nor do we have good b'ball IQ.
Justice wanted to come here but DD passed for a Euro who never played a game and left. It's just time.

We don't know the meaning of the word defense. When we do guard somebody, it's lackluster. When we launch a 3, the other 4 guys are on the move....moving to the other end of the court instead of going for a rebound. We make lazy passes. We seem to be disconnected to the game. DD is an analytics guy. Here's my analytics.....When you're shooting 7 of 25 on 3s, and you're shooting 19 of 35 on 2s, wouldn't it make more sense to be shooting more 2s closer to the bucket. I've watched Herd bball for 57 years and this is about the most dismal team I have ever seen.
Agree...DD rants about our lack of shooting but we throw the damn ball away so much we all too many times never get a chance to miss a shot as the other team has a the ball and is racing towards our bucket to lay it in! But even when the opponent walks the ball up the court they will get a wide open 3 or just find another way to just lay it in. We guard no human being!

WKU was quicker, stronger and more athletic. Kinsey and Obinna are the only ones from our squad would would be in their rotation for minutes. It's sad. We just aren't athletic, nor do we have good b'ball IQ.
Justice wanted to come here but DD passed for a Euro who never played a game and left. It's just time.
All of Serbia will weep when Danny hangs up his whistle!

More insulting than the game, was the post game press conference. “We need to work on…”

Umm, you have ONE regular season game left, away against the team that just whipped you ass at home, and then the PIG playing another team that has whipped your ass twice. Playing in the PIG in a league where two-thirds of the league either does not, or simply can not, field a serious effort. Yet still last against even that.

“Work on” ???? The season is over in five days. Work on???? You are 11-19, 9-19 vs Div I opponents. Three wins versus Div I teams with winning records.

What you need to work on is your departure. You are an incompetent who had an eight day hot streak. You are a 75 year old lifetime high school coach. You have no business here. Retire.

Or be fired.

Fire DD.

Turn out the lights, the party's over... Hopefully our new AD (who theoretically has no personal feelings about any of our current coaches) will have the desire to "make a splash" hire and tell DD to retire quietly.

Go find a young up-and-coming head coach. I'll list a few just for the sake of window shopping. This list is just current head coaches, not assistants from bigger programs.

Bob Richey -- Furman -- The Paladins are the best team in the SoCon and have built a program that is always competitive. Four straight 20-win seasons.
Matt McMahan -- Murray State -- How a big time program hasn't grabbed this guy is beyond me. Been there six years and has had five 20-win seasons. The knock here is Marshall isn't a step up in prestige, so we'd have to open up the vault to hire him away.
Jared Grasso -- Bryant -- Turned around a complete dumpster fire in 3 years at Bryant. They won the Northeast Conference regular season title this year and are favorites to make the dance in Grasso's fourth year.
Matt Langel -- Colgate -- Three time Patriot League coach of the year (will be four time after this season). Another guy who took over a bad program and has turned it into a consistent winner over the past decade.

Turn out the lights, the party's over... Hopefully our new AD (who theoretically has no personal feelings about any of our current coaches) will have the desire to "make a splash" hire and tell DD to retire quietly.

Go find a young up-and-coming head coach. I'll list a few just for the sake of window shopping. This list is just current head coaches, not assistants from bigger programs.

Bob Richey -- Furman -- The Paladins are the best team in the SoCon and have built a program that is always competitive. Four straight 20-win seasons.
Matt McMahan -- Murray State -- How a big time program hasn't grabbed this guy is beyond me. Been there six years and has had five 20-win seasons. The knock here is Marshall isn't a step up in prestige, so we'd have to open up the vault to hire him away.
Jared Grasso -- Bryant -- Turned around a complete dumpster fire in 3 years at Bryant. They won the Northeast Conference regular season title this year and are favorites to make the dance in Grasso's fourth year.
Matt Langel -- Colgate -- Three time Patriot League coach of the year (will be four time after this season). Another guy who took over a bad program and has turned it into a consistent winner over the past decade.
Good list. My question would be - would those guys consider Marshall much of a step up? Not sure .

The university wants season ticket holders. That’s known and predictable revenue. They aren’t going to lose many, if any, ticket holders if they keep DD. But hey have a better chance at increasing new ticket holders if they get a vibrant coach in here who’s going to challenge local fans to support his vision.
The new AD has a ton on his plate, but this is a huge thing to tackle. He already has Huff doing his thing, he’s not in the middle of the CUSA suit, so he really has player retention, meet and greets, baseball stadium, basketball coach.
If he can’t see that DD wasn’t able to adjust after Elmore left, and we lost some to the Covid year and portal… then it’s fair to say that they just want to keep the old man happy and it’s not about the basketball culture, it’s about one coach.
We have the opportunity to start this summer as a new university.
Football coach - one year old
President - new
AD - new
Conference - new
Basketball - literally imploding in all facets.

DD has to go to show we’re here to bang some heads coming into the SBC.

Reactions: RhinoD
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

CUSA is so much better?!
At first, Dan could coach against a good chunk of the P5...now, he'd be 3rd on the list for a HS HC job.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Danny’s problem is he’s still running the same system Ellis taught him 60 years ago. That still works if you have the talent to run it. We don’t. Time for a fresh start…..and 21st century thinking/recruiting…
He's running his brothers system but you are correct, need the talent to do it. I'm thinking DD thought his early success was primarily his system but it was primarily Elmore and the talent around him. Now there is no Elmore and the talent on team now is less athletic as well.

WS
What is the big deal?
Not so beatable eh?

• Wow
Danny’s problem is he’s still running the same system Ellis taught him 60 years ago. That still works if you have the talent to run it. We don’t. Time for a fresh start…..and 21st century thinking/recruiting…
He is using nothing similar to what Ellis Johnson coached in the mid 60’s. Not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT