ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
I scorched my eyeballs and watched our women's basketball team for 14 seconds today during their loss to Northern Kentucky.

1) We shouldn't lose to Northern Kentucky in anything
2) Our team has horrible effort. We were routinely getting beaten down the court by a far inferior team athletically.

Last edited:
Kemper was terrible. Left the cupboard bare for the most part. She'll be fine after a couple of years worth of recruiting .

Reactions: Jartard
No I’m not joking. Short of having a connection to the program, an old lesbian, are named Aaron Perkins, or are a creepy old guy that hangs around womens sports no one objectively cares about womens basketball

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
No I’m not joking. Short of having a connection to the program, an old lesbian, are named Aaron Perkins, or are a creepy old guy that hangs around womens sports no one objectively cares about womens basketball
I think women's basketball will experience a dramatic increase in interest over the next few years due to the gambling industry wanting to expand into multiple verticals. Just look at how much attention ESPN gave to the women's tournament in March. ESPN wants and needs additional ad revenue, this revenue can come from the gambling industry as a result in increased interest in a previously untapped market. It is only a matter of time until people are betting on women's cross country.

I think women's basketball will experience a dramatic increase in interest over the next few years due to the gambling industry wanting to expand into multiple verticals. Just look at how much attention ESPN gave to the women's tournament in March. ESPN wants and needs additional ad revenue, this revenue can come from the gambling industry as a result in increased interest in a previously untapped market. It is only a matter of time until people are betting on women's cross country.

Interesting take on the gambling aspect of it. That will likely bring added interest but not sure about added attendance.

Last year's women's tournament had increased viewership but I don't think ESPN had as much to do with it as much as people wanting to watch Caitlin Clark. It's just not as good a product as the men's game nor is it as fun to watch.

Buick has invested considerably in women's sports. I think it's more of a payback though...

"According to S and P Global Mobility, a division of S and P Global, Buick was at the head of the list of U.S. automotive brands with the highest female buyer representation, with 55 percent of personal new Buick vehicle registrations belonging to women. Other high-ranking brands included Mitsubishi (51.4 percent), Mini (51.1 percent), Lexus (50.4 percent), Infiniti (49.6 percent), Mazda (49 percent), and Kia (49 percent), with the industry average measured at 41.2 percent."

To me the only women's sport that men will consistently watch (other than beach volleyball for different reasons) is softball. I've always thought that is because there is no real men's equivalent sport as baseball is a completely different game.

Interesting take on the gambling aspect of it. That will likely bring added interest but not sure about added attendance.

Last year's women's tournament had increased viewership but I don't think ESPN had as much to do with it as much as people wanting to watch Caitlin Clark. It's just not as good a product as the men's game nor is it as fun to watch.

Buick has invested considerably in women's sports. I think it's more of a payback though...

"According to S and P Global Mobility, a division of S and P Global, Buick was at the head of the list of U.S. automotive brands with the highest female buyer representation, with 55 percent of personal new Buick vehicle registrations belonging to women. Other high-ranking brands included Mitsubishi (51.4 percent), Mini (51.1 percent), Lexus (50.4 percent), Infiniti (49.6 percent), Mazda (49 percent), and Kia (49 percent), with the industry average measured at 41.2 percent."

To me the only women's sport that men will consistently watch (other than beach volleyball for different reasons) is softball. I've always thought that is because there is no real men's equivalent sport as baseball is a completely different game.
I do not disagree that there was a lot of interest in Caitlin Clark, but that interest was greatly enabled by the additional media attention afforded to her and the tournament as a whole.

I do not disagree that there was a lot of interest in Caitlin Clark, but that interest was greatly enabled by the additional media attention afforded to her and the tournament as a whole.

I didn't disagree. I just don't think ESPN would have had the same results had not Caitlin Clark been on the run that she had. Granted ESPN was in a better position to capitalize on it then than in the past.

ESPN has been shoving the wnba down our throats since its inception. It’s still not a thing people care about. I went the the SEC women’s tournament because I got free tickets. It’s just not entertaining. If I want to slow play missed layups and no dunking I’ll go watch adult rec league.

Trust me, you don’t want that. My sister is 61 and her wife about 7 years older. They’ve been together for 30 years so they look about like you would expect.
Fair enough, but maybe if you post them on Pullman, Geezer would be enticed to come back.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Women's basketball is a thing at about 10-12 major universities that are good at it... UConn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, UNC, LSU, Iowa, UCLA, etc.

The rest of the country its a revenue loser that only brings people out if the team has a chance to make the tournament, and even then it's not a huge bump, just more short-lived casual interest.

We aren't even on that level, so here its a way to fill a page in the HD with box scores and wrapups. Bring in a new coach every 4-5 years, hope they catch lightning in a bottle before they move on, or we move on.

ESPN tries to pump up women's sports (specifically basketball, golf and soccer) because they have to. They need the market, and can't rely on dudes between 18-65 to be their entire viewership.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
There's a lot of bad takes on Women's sports on this thread. I wonder how many actually have girls that are playing sports? When my two Daughters were younger (they are 2 years apart) we attended a variety of women's sports at MU. They loved going to the basketball/softball games and the tennis/volleyball matches.
I enjoyed it as well because it allows them to see these older Girls competing at a level that they might some day want to achieve. Not to mention they are very affordable compared to attending the men's games. Sure, as they have gotten older (currently Freshman and Junior at Marshall) they mostly only attend the Men's events. Point is, there is a place for it in Huntington, WV. There was nothing quite like a Daddy/Daughter Sunday with a Giovanni's pizza and a 1:00 Women's basketball game 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: goherd73
There's a lot of bad takes on Women's sports on this thread. I wonder how many actually have girls that are playing sports? When my two Daughters were younger (they are 2 years apart) we attended a variety of women's sports at MU. They loved going to the basketball/softball games and the tennis/volleyball matches.
I enjoyed it as well because it allows them to see these older Girls competing at a level that they might some day want to achieve. Not to mention they are very affordable compared to attending the men's games. Sure, as they have gotten older (currently Freshman and Junior at Marshall) they mostly only attend the Men's events. Point is, there is a place for it in Huntington, WV. There was nothing quite like a Daddy/Daughter Sunday with a Giovanni's pizza and a 1:00 Women's basketball game 👍
No one has said there isn’t a benefit to women’s sports. Just that the vast majority of the population don’t give to craps. Whether it be women’s soccer volleyball basketball etc the draw isn’t there.

No one has said there isn’t a benefit to women’s sports. Just that the vast majority of the population don’t give to craps. Whether it be women’s soccer volleyball basketball etc the draw isn’t there.
This is spot on...

I dont begrudge women's sports at all. Im glad those young ladies get to play sports that they enjoy and get a college education... It's just not something I care about or have any reason to be invested in. Very very few people seek out women's sports just to be a fan of.

I think the interest in women's sports is growing but it's at a snail's pace. Super slow. But inching along. There are spikes but that momentum rarely carries long. I follow women's sports because I like my teams. Something to track all year. I understand it is different but I do see small steps forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT