ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder who messed their pants? We are coming in hot.

I was flying into Chicago and had an aborted landing. Scary as hell!

We flew back to Charlotte and had to take a later flight back. Ended up flying back to Lexington on the same aircraft and crew... That was comforting...

There was an older couple on the first flight from Beckley or Parkersburg. He was wearing a retired AF ball cap. I asked him when we got off the plane in Charlotte if that was the worst approach he ever had. His response...it was if you don't count the ones he was being fired on...

I was flying into Chicago and had an aborted landing. Scary as hell!
Had on in Vegas one time.

Pilot comes on and says, "sorry bout that, didn't like the way that felt." But, it wasn't nearly as bad as that video.

I had one into Tri-State last summer. Pulled up after being about 15 feet off of the deck... Not fun at all...
Holy hell, man.

I can’t even imagine how you and the other passengers felt, given the smaller runway and the terrain around HTS. I know my heart and mind would have been racing.

Reactions: i am herdman
I had one into Tri-State last summer. Pulled up after being about 15 feet off of the deck... Not fun at all...
I was on that flight. Winds were freaking wicked. First time that’s ever happened to me at HTS.

I was on that flight. Winds were freaking wicked. First time that’s ever happened to me at HTS.
Wow. Everyone was wondering why we didn't head to Charleston. Well the storm was moving west to east. I was wondering why we didn't head to Lexington. Then I started doing the fuel calculations in my head as we turned back south. Seems like the return trip to Charlotte was a lot quicker than the trip up...

Holy hell, man.

I can’t even imagine how you and the other passengers felt, given the smaller runway and the terrain around HTS. I know my heart and mind would have been racing.

I talked to my business partner while on the ground in Charlotte and he asked if we were delayed because a storm was moving in back home. We weren't and our manager had a window seat and I sat in the aisle seat.

As we banked coming into Huntington I could see a wall of weather moving in from the west and it looked like it would be a race to the airport. As we came in the storm front got there first. As an MU fan the crash is usually in the back of my mind while landing at Tri-State.

I could see the tree tops through the window and we were holding speed at a very low altitude. I knew we were running out of runway and was waiting for the thrust to come on or I felt we were in serious trouble. The thrust never did come. I could feel us gaining altitude and hoped we had enough speed to continue. That part was very smooth and then we rode a bucking bronco for several minutes with nothing from the cockpit. Finally we reached an altitude above the weather and the pilot said the flight was canceled and we hightailed it back to Charlotte.

There were several people crying and visibly upset during and after the aborted landing.

Would be interested to hear @TwolfHerdfan take on the flight as well.

Interestingly enough the next time we flew a month or so later we had a medical emergency. The pilot said he was going to put the spurs to it and get to DFW asap. He came in hot and well ahead of schedule.

• Wow
Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
A few years back, flew out of HTS as a cold front was coming through. Winds were blowing steady at about 25-30mph with gusts hitting 50-60mph. I thought for sure flight would be canceled, it wasn’t. This was in the Dash 8 turbo prop. Plane was rocking like crazy as we sat there during boarding. Craziest take off I’ve ever had in that wind. We were tossed around like a run down the Gauley! NOT FUN!

A few years back, flew out of HTS as a cold front was coming through. Winds were blowing steady at about 25-30mph with gusts hitting 50-60mph. I thought for sure flight would be canceled, it wasn’t. This was in the Dash 8 turbo prop.
Have to love the feeling of being in a boat in the sky.

Reactions: imherdfan
@imherdfan Have you been on a Beechcraft 1900? They make the Dash 8 feel like a jumbo jet.
Don’t think so, but I’ve flown on a Jetstream 31, those were 19 seaters US Airways operated back in the 90’s and early 00’s. Had the crap scared out of me a couple times on those things.

I talked to my business partner while on the ground in Charlotte and he asked if we were delayed because a storm was moving in back home. We weren't and our manager had a window seat and I sat in the aisle seat.

As we banked coming into Huntington I could see a wall of weather moving in from the west and it looked like it would be a race to the airport. As we came in the storm front got there first. As an MU fan the crash is usually in the back of my mind while landing at Tri-State.

I could see the tree tops through the window and we were holding speed at a very low altitude. I knew we were running out of runway and was waiting for the thrust to come on or I felt we were in serious trouble. The thrust never did come. I could feel us gaining altitude and hoped we had enough speed to continue. That part was very smooth and then we rode a bucking bronco for several minutes with nothing from the cockpit. Finally we reached an altitude above the weather and the pilot said the flight was canceled and we hightailed it back to Charlotte.

There were several people crying and visibly upset during and after the aborted landing.

Would be interested to hear @TwolfHerdfan take on the flight as well.

Interestingly enough the next time we flew a month or so later we had a medical emergency. The pilot said he was going to put the spurs to it and get to DFW asap. He came in hot and well ahead of schedule.
Sorry, I wasn't on that one. I was referring to a flight last April. Windy as anything. Heading into HTS, you could see the front coming, big line of dark clouds. The pilot stayed above them as long as she could. We went in hot and were about 30 feet from the ground, plane was rocking back and forth and she finally hit the thrusters and we pulled up and circled back around a few times. Her next attempt to land was pretty impressive. She held the CRJ steady against the wind and hit the ground hard. A lady next to me was getting sick and about the cry. It sucked.

I've been on a few planes who aborted landings at ATL and MCO for storms, not fun.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Sorry, I wasn't on that one. I was referring to a flight last April. Windy as anything. Heading into HTS, you could see the front coming, big line of dark clouds. The pilot stayed above them as long as she could. We went in hot and were about 30 feet from the ground, plane was rocking back and forth and she finally hit the thrusters and we pulled up and circled back around a few times. Her next attempt to land was pretty impressive. She held the CRJ steady against the wind and hit the ground hard. A lady next to me was getting sick and about the cry. It sucked.

I've been on a few planes who aborted landings at ATL and MCO for storms, not fun.
Gotcha. Our flight was last June. Not fun at all. We had some friends land at HTS last year and no one was at the airport to let them off of the plane...

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Gotcha. Our flight was last June. Not fun at all. We had some friends land at HTS last year and no one was at the airport to let them off of the plane...

Don't get me started on who runs HTS. Whoever it is should be fired. It's a disgrace. It's like they don't even care. They put all their eggs in the Allegiant basket and don't seem to care about the commercial carrier side. Granted, I have heard they are hoping to get flights to Dulles and O'Hare via American.
I wish they would get Delta back or some other smaller carrier with another connecting airport.

I normally fly at least once a month, more in the spring and fall. The last two times out of HTS, I had the 5:30am flight to CLT. Both times delayed due to mechanical issues. Sad thing is, there is no place to get food or drinks, just three vending machines that aren't stocked very well. Its sad and embarrassing. I guess those at HTS and the Board don't realize that often this is the first impression someone has of the area. They aren't doing a very good job at all.

CRW is aggressive and kicking ass. Although I do get a chuckle now that they have added "International" to their name. lol!

Reactions: KyMUfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT